Jump to content

Kotone

Chise

MADh Vinyl

Monty

Mandie

BeyondTime

DesertPhantom51

apag22

Chiakisenpai

puxlavoix

Jezrah

Tierparkzone

ChrisFhey

di-chan123

Veravey

Ecchizonans

Testament

Kizuna & Chitose

Baldylox

Artemis

Are white eyelashes doable on a DD faceup?

Recommended Posts

Artemis

Howdy howdy!

I'm thisclose to going through a Dream Choice proxy to reshell my OC, who happens to be an albino. This is a stylistic conundrum since DD lashes are traditionally 2D, and stark white lashes that are simply drawn on might be washed out by the pale skintone. I've found several anime artists who've found workarounds to incorporate albino eyelashes in drawn designs, but I've never seen this executed in a DD or likewise anime-style doll. Usually they're outlined by a contrasting color and left white on the inside.

Here's an example of about the style I'd be hoping to replicate in doll form (brought to you by my second cringiest hobby, obscure Roblox games).

spacer.png

I'm not a faceup artist so I probably sound like a crackhead, but do the logistics of this check out? Any of y'all attempted something similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ragnamuffin

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for because these are outlined by a contrasting colour (tbh I don’t know how you could paint white eyelashes without some contrast and still make them look nice), but white eyelashes are actually all the rage with Japanese custom DD artists right now. My Twitter feed is usually full of the following:

Maybe you can show these to your artist for inspiration?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Artemis
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ragnamuffin said:

I’m not sure if this is what you’re looking for because these are outlined by a contrasting colour (tbh I don’t know how you could paint white eyelashes without some contrast and still make them look nice), but white eyelashes are actually all the rage with Japanese custom DD artists right now. My Twitter feed is usually full of the following:

Maybe you can show these to your artist for inspiration?

Yooo that's exactly what I'm talking about, thank you! I phrased my OP a little weirdly, but I meant that usually in 2D artwork I see them outlined by contrasting colors and was wondering if that technique would translate well in doll form - and indeed, it looks like it does!

Edited by Artemis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ragnamuffin
5 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Yooo that's exactly what I'm talking about, thank you! I phrased my OP a little weirdly, but I meant that usually in 2D artwork I see them outlined by contrasting colors and was wondering if that technique would translate well in doll form - and indeed, it looks like it does!

Yay, I’m glad it was useful to you.

FYI the new Iris Collect Petit Honono has white eyelashes and is probably the closest to a commercial option you can find, although the black outline might make this unsuitable for an albino and this one is not a DD, but an Azone doll using the Obitsu frame. The faceup was actually a collaboration with s*t*j, one of the artists I linked above.

https://www.azone-int.co.jp/azonet/item/4573199928838

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeyondTime
4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Usually they're outlined by a contrasting color and left white on the inside.

The contrasting color might be thought of as shadows present in folds in the tissue. Even an albino would have those elements, and on a doll they should provide the perception of depth on smooth parts of the surface. 


The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Artemis
12 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

The contrasting color might be thought of as shadows present in folds in the tissue. Even an albino would have those elements, and on a doll they should provide the perception of depth on smooth parts of the surface. 

Indeed! I phrased the OP weirdly, but I actually meant to say that I see those outlines in 2D anime artwork and was wondering if that technique would translate well in doll form since I hadn't seen a DD with white eyelashes, ever.

 

12 hours ago, ragnamuffin said:

Yay, I’m glad it was useful to you.

FYI the new Iris Collect Petit Honono has white eyelashes and is probably the closest to a commercial option you can find, although the black outline might make this unsuitable for an albino and this one is not a DD, but an Azone doll using the Obitsu frame. The faceup was actually a collaboration with s*t*j, one of the artists I linked above.

https://www.azone-int.co.jp/azonet/item/4573199928838

Oh, that's adorable! I would definitely consider it if I didn't have my heart set on a specific Dream Choice sculpt at the moment. Thank you for sharing nevertheless, I love seeing these faceups - it'll make for a great reference when I decide what to do with my character's faceup. It's awesome that it happens to be such a trend right now with overseas artists.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.