Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Roserolls

Question about making faceup touch-ups?

Roserolls

Okay, so this will probably sound like a stupid question, but I wanted to get opinions from people with experience before doing anything. I have a dollfie dream Miko that currently has falsies glued on for lashes, but recently I've been iffy about the look and was considering taking them off and painting on lashes myself on top of her already done default faceup with acrylic paint. However, if I did this I would not want to use a sealant in case I decide later that I don't like it and want to change it up again. My main question is: if I did this, would I be able to remove the painted lashes with just water and not mess up the rest of her faceup? Would there be risk of staining still, despite being on top of the sealed faceup?

For reference, I've painted on top of a Monster High doll's lips with acrylic paint and didn't seal it many years ago, and it still seems perfectly fine. However, I'm wondering if a dollfie dream would be different.

Any thoughts/opinions/advice about this are welcome, thank you!

Tira

Based on my experience, it takes more than water to completely remove acrylic paint from a face-up after it's dried, even if you haven't sealed it yet. The initial layer of sealant creates a grippy surface, which allows the paint to stay on in the first place, but it will also hold on to quite a bit of the pigment.

• Like 1

Roserolls
1 hour ago, Tira said:

Based on my experience, it takes more than water to completely remove acrylic paint from a face-up after it's dried, even if you haven't sealed it yet. The initial layer of sealant creates a grippy surface, which allows the paint to stay on in the first place, but it will also hold on to quite a bit of the pigment.

Ah, I understand now why they say to seal the head before painting. That makes sense. In that case, I guess I'll hold off on attempting a diy paint job and just try to get used to the lashes or find better ones.

Thank you for saving me from potentially ruining my doll, I really appreciate your insight!

Veravey
On 5/14/2022 at 5:15 PM, Roserolls said:

My main question is: if I did this, would I be able to remove the painted lashes with just water and not mess up the rest of her faceup?

You will stain with acrylic from my experience. Or rather, acetone is the only thing that'll get it out.

Sealant layers underneath paint are what actually prevent paint from staining vinyl; typically you put 2 layers of sealant before you begin painting/drawing. However, you wouldn't be able to remove your added acrylic without removing the factory screening underneath. People remove face-ups with acetone and like @Tira said, I don't think you could get acrylic out completely with just soap and water, at least from my experience. Plus, if you scrubbed too hard, you run the risk of scratching, too.

• Like 1

ftRtwRu9355h.gif.886b75a4e71a6125e1f5c114f2fd2e47.gif