Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

scripple

Hesvar Comics

scripple

I've been working on a new way to present my photostories than the classic photos with text below that I've always used.  After various experiments I think I've settled on an "animated" comic style presentation.  One with speech/thought/action bubbles on the photos themselves, but rather than static bubbles dynamically generated ones that allow the story to play out on the photos.

To accomplish this I've created a web app that parses my stories and generates the bubbles to fit the screen the photo is shown on, resizing the bubbles and reflowing the text as necessary.  Sadly the app isn't complete magic and does need me to supply some reference points for the bubbles.  Since I've never shared the majority of my Hesvar stories here I'm going to share them now as links to the web app as I update each story.

If you enjoy the stories please leave comments in this thread.  One of my strongest motivations to make more stories is reader feedback and interaction.

Note that these stories have an ensemble cast of vinyl and resin dolls, with both types appearing in most but not all stories.  Also there is some mildly NSFW content in some episodes which I'll call out when I post that episode.

The web app is also brand new, so there may be bugs.  It's also possible that as I fix bugs in the story parser it may break the presentation of previously adapted stories.  Please let me know if you run into problems or spot any obviously stray bubbles.

A few app tips.

If you're on a small touch screen device and the browser address bar gets in the way the full screen button (arrows pointing to the four corners) will take care of that.  Dont' worry, the button will stay around to get your address bar back.  If you don't see the button, click the hamburger menu button.  (The buttons other than hamburger are automatically hidden if there is not enough screen margin to not overlap the photos.)

I've tried to make the app accessible.  It should be fully navigable with keyboard, mouse (including scroll wheel), or touch.  If you have difficulty with the default translucent white on black bubbles you can choose a higher opacity level and/or select black on white in the settings page.  You can also select a different font size.

• Like 1

scripple

Here's the first few episodes I've bubble-fied.

Episode #1: A Strange New World

Sam wakes up to a strange new world only to realize she has no memory of her past or how she got there.

Episode #2: At Least You're Safe With Us

Sam learns the source of her name - a strange collar around her neck.

Episode #3: Just a Typical Morning

Pris prepares for what she thinks will be a typical day at work entertaining clients.

Episode #4: Cool Huh? - The Portal

Ellie reveals an amazing communication device to Sam.

Episode #5: Chance Encounter

Pris encounters a friendly face on the way to town and takes the opportunity to get help for Sam.

Episode #6: The Hazards of the Back Entrance

Pris has a scare when she finds out she's been deceived by her client.

Episode #7: Rough Day and Rougher Night

Pris returns home late at night after her already bad day. She barely makes it home due to the frigid temperatures of Hesvar at night.

Episode #8: If I Wasn't Sick I'd Kiss You

Seth makes his first visit to Pris's home to fulfill his promise to help Sam. Seth and Pris are pleased to learn they share similar views about certain things.

Episode #9: No Peeking!

Sam tries on Seth's gift while Pris playfully teases Seth.

Edited by scripple
  • Like 3

BeyondTime

That's an interesting story; it has hints of darkness and tension without going overboard with it. 

• Thanks 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

scripple
3 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

That's an interesting story; it has hints of darkness and tension without going overboard with it. 

Thank you.  Comment greatly appreciated.  It's not the kindest of worlds, but there are good people trying to make it a little bit better for those around them.  Kind of like Pris and crew are doing here for Sam.

In app related news, I just updated the bubble flow code to better distribute overflow text into more equally sized bubbles when possible.  Hopefully fewer giant full bubble followed by a tiny one word bubble scenarios.

I'm curious, has anyone tried this on an Apple device such as an iPhone or iPad?  Does it work?  Does the full screen button work?  I have no access to any Apple products for testing and the web is pretty conflicted on whether or not they support any level of fullscreen api for browsers.

BeyondTime
7 minutes ago, scripple said:

I'm curious, has anyone tried this on an Apple device such as an iPhone or iPad?

It was fine on my iPad. 

• Thanks 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

scripple
10 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

It was fine on my iPad. 

Thanks again.  Good to know.  Does the full screen button do anything?

ragnamuffin
2 hours ago, scripple said:

I couldn’t get it to go full screen on my iPhone 😢 

• Sad 1

scripple
On 7/4/2022 at 5:00 PM, ragnamuffin said:

I couldn’t get it to go full screen on my iPhone 😢 

That's a bummer but matches most of what I read.  I was hoping it might work as their are webkit (apple Safari) specific function calls for the full screen API and I put them in.  I don't know if they did support it and stopped, or are slowly rolling it out or what.  I understand why everyone stopped supporting automatic full screen as it's a security risk (make a fake home screen or something and go full screen) but I don't get not supporting the option with user interaction required.  (And popup instructions on how to exit it in chrome and firefox for android.)

You might try scrolling up and down to see if it will move it out of the way at least temporarily.  Hopefully it's at least somewhat usable perhaps in portrait orientation.

In happier news I just bubble-fied two more episodes. 

Episode #10: Something's Fishy

Ellie questions Seth's motives for helping Sam.

Episode #11: An Awkward Start

Seth manages to make their trip to the apothecary an awkward one in his usual socially clumsy manner.

Edited by scripple

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, scripple said:

It appears to work. 

• Like 1

scripple
12 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

It appears to work. 

Interesting.  So they are apparently moving either towards or away from it.  😛

scripple

Episode #12: Golden Eagle Apothecary

Seth, Sam, and Pris arrive at the Golden Eagle Apothecary. The shop keeper takes an interest in Pris's Vespin training.

Episode #13: Leave Now - For Your Own Safety

The sight of Sam's collar brings forth a shocking reaction from the Golden Eagle Apothecary's shopkeeper.

Episode #14: A Compromise

Pris, Seth, and the Golden Eagle Apothecary's shopkeeper reach a deal regarding Sam's past and future.

After questioning Sam the Golden Eagle Apothecary's shopkeeper discovers the danger lies elsewhere.
  • Like 1

Angered-Icon

Very good Job on this! It definitely gives it an immersive story feeling.

• Like 1

scripple
1 hour ago, Angered-Icon said:

Very good Job on this! It definitely gives it an immersive story feeling.

Thanks.  That's the reason I'm going through and adding bubble annotations to all these older stories.  It's just a different experience than reading text below the photo for me.

scripple

Made another big change.  Decided long text relative to bubble space gets broken into too many tiny segments.  Most problematic on small screens, especially with large text.  Also really limited placement options on small screens.  So I decided to make the first bubble fit the size constraints to show where it should be placed, who is speaking etc.  Then if it only needs two bubbles the second will also follow the rules.  If it needs more than two though the second and any following can fill most of the screen, turning off the bubble stem if necessary.

scripple

Also some more bubblefied episodes.

Episode #16: A Deal - Or Two

Pris, Sam, and the Golden Eagle Apothecary shopkeeper form deals mutually beneficial to each other.

Pris informs Ellie of the deals she has made and a trip she has to take. Ellie disapproves and tries to convince her to stay home.

New characters appear as a lone man rescues a stranger from a thug with ill intentions.

scripple

Yep there's more.  It's a long running story.  You'll never get a feel reading just one episode.

Episode #19: A Strange Gentleman

Sophie is shocked by Kano's generosity as well as some of his beliefs.

Kano and Sophie hurry to find an inn with a vacancy in time to avoid the lethal cold of the Hesvar nights.

Episode #21: Ominous Shadows
Sophie is spooked by a shadow she catches on the wall and decides that Kano is in grave danger.

Pris, Sam, and Gareth, the Golden Eagle Apothecary's shopkeeper, are making good time on their trip to catch up with Gareth's friend.

Sophie is frustrated at Kano's casual attitude towards things.

The maid delivers some special desserts to Kano and Sophie along with a cryptic sign.

It seems Sophie has trouble holding her liquor as her feelings for Kano quickly escalate.

A surprise attack leaves Kano wounded.

Gareth finally catches up with his friend, but is he just a moment too late?

Pris's return to the area near where she was raised brings up bad feelings from her past.

Pris rushes to save Kano's life.

Sophie offends Pris with questions about her past.

scripple

Cleaned up the app a lot.  Added fuller menus, auto ask for full screen if appropriate, auto ask for bubble style as I know no one goes into settings. 😛

Here's 10 more bubblefied episodes.  (How this ckeditor chooses lineheight/vertical margin I have no idea.  First few links huge bottom margin, the later not.)

Episode #31: A Gift From The Sky

Gareth reveals more about the source of his and Kano's power.

Episode #32: Going Home Can Make You Think

Pris's reflections on her past cause her to question her present.

Episode #33: You've Been Holding Out On Me!

Sam's collar fascinates Kano.

Episode #34: Evening Whine
Sam and Sophie share stories about their lives.

Seth and Ellie keep each other company as they worry about how long Pris and Sam have been gone.

Kano insists the people in the sky must have more to offer that what they've found so far.

Pris finally makes it back home.

Pris explains to Ellie that she has to make changes to her life.

Kano, Gareth, Sam, and Sophie make it back to the Golden Eagle Apothecary shop and discuss plans of what to do next.

Seth is happy to learn that Pris has returned safely home.
Edited by scripple

scripple

For those curious about the technical side of things, another big UI change.  I've added drag features so now you can advance or rewind the story by dragging (with finger or mouse) on the outer edges of the screen.   Seems easier than click click clicking away for each advancement although that should still work too.

I've also bubblefied all my existing stories, but won't bother to link them all since no one is reading anyway.

bananaaether

These are so cool!! I just started reading and I'm impressed by the format and the photos! The sets are so lively and feel so real.

• Like 1

scripple
9 minutes ago, bananaaether said:

These are so cool!! I just started reading and I'm impressed by the format and the photos! The sets are so lively and feel so real.

Thanks.  Glad you enjoyed them.

It's a long series and I realize I'm no pro author so I understand it's too much investment for most.  I did at least post the first new story in a month or two last week though.  😅

• Like 1

bananaaether

I'm really sucked in, so give yourself more credit! I'm really interested to see where the story goes. I'm charmed by Seth already, he seems like an earnest guy. You do such cute posing of the characters, they feels so expressive by poses alone!

• Like 1

scripple

Thank you.  I hope you enjoy the story and I'm happy to discuss it with you.

I think earnest is a fair description of Seth.  Not the best at expressing himself, especially around Pris, but a good, honest guy.

Thanks on the poses too.  I've always tried to be careful with my posing, but sadly as I get older and more disabled it's much harder to spend the energy required to get them just right.

• Like 1

BeyondTime

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the tables and chairs for the inn Kano & Sophie stay at? 

scripple

They were from a company called My Twinn.  Sadly the company folded back in I think 2015.

BeyondTime
43 minutes ago, scripple said:

They were from a company called My Twinn.  Sadly the company folded back in I think 2015.

Thanks, and bummer.