Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

0bsequi0us

DDH-27 Mouth Mod WIP

0bsequi0us

Recently I decided to try modding a head! I really like open mouths and teeth on my resin dolls, so I figured it would be a fun little experiment to try. This will be kind of like a project journal, I guess. I'll be modding the mouth, doing a faceup, and making hand painted eyes!

I have a little experience modding vinyl, since I've done similar mods on some of my Tinyfox Heads:

spacer.pngspacer.png

(these faceups have some big issues but I actually think the mods still hold up pretty well)

My base will be a semi-white DDH-27! I did a mockup on a blank photo I found to get an idea of what I wanted. I wanted to do a sheepish or bashful expression, in contrast to my other MDD who has a very serious expression. I have sort of a cartoony style when it comes to teeth, so they're a bit bigger than normal.

spacer.png

I wasn't prepared for DD vinyl heads to be so different from the Tinyfox heads I modded previously- this head had a softer surface layer that I wasn't expecting. I ended up going a little thin, but not thin enough to cause any immediate problems!

spacer.pngspacer.png

This is where I'm at so far! The mouth is not quite as lopsided as I wanted, but I think it gives off similar energy. The teeth part in the second image is just something I sculpted for one of my resin dolls that didn't end up working, but weirdly fit perfectly for this head. It will be temporary, since it's too dark and too toothy to fit my concept, but it looks cuter than an empty void for now. 😅

Next step will be sculpting a new mouth part and painting some eyes.

• Like 11

0bsequi0us

Update!

Since the last post I made some eyes for him and did a faceup! I also sanded the mouth a little bit more, but I'm convinced it didn't really make much of a difference. 😅

spacer.png

For the eyes I made some semi-3D resin eyes using cubeco molds. Unfortunately this batch of eye bases turned out bubbly because I'm using a new type of resin to make them, and it's much more finicky than what I'm used to. They're not as obvious in artificial lighting, but in natural lighting they look awful. I'll probably have to remake them once I get the hang of this resin. I like the effect though!

spacer.pngspacer.png

The faceup turned out alright, close enough to my mockup! I'm not really sure what vibe he's giving off yet, he turned out to be sort of a strange character. I don't know about this wig, it's super small.

I still need to actually sculpt the new mouth part, but the clay I bought specifically for that still hasn't arrived. It probably won't look too different from this one, though.

• Like 16

maboree

He looks so good! I'm getting less of a meek and bashful vibe, and more of a nervous troublemaker haha in that second to last pic. 😆

• Like 1

0bsequi0us

@maboree You're right, he adopted a much more cheeky personality after the faceup somehow. 😅 It's growing on me though!

babybluebunnyboy

Old thread, but I adore this!! Your efforts make me more comfortable doing and trying mods out myself! I love the honesty and effort you showed in the wips!