The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Monty

End of Production for MDD Base Bodes (Update: New Base Body MDD 2.0 f3)

Xiongmao

Maybe they're revamping the entire line up. Towa and the other standard models have been around for a while now. Maybe Towa will be retired as she's kind of similar to Yor Forger.

Also the DDdy and MDD Mochi-Ashi bodies have major issues which they'll hopefully address. My Towa can't sit and my MDD is hopeless at just about anything.

I would guess the MDD change/replacement might be headlined by a Spy x Family Anya release.

• Like 2

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

chantelle
9 hours ago, Emil said:

They already did this with the current batch of Super Dollfie standards, patiently waiting to watch it happen once again on the DD side 🤣 They seem to do this every... what, 5-6 years?

To be honest, I thought the same of the current resin lineup, but Volks said otherwise. I'd love to see some fresh faces for DD standards. 

Ohhh ok, that makes sense! I guess even if the current standard models hold up well, they may still want to cycle in new versions.

9 hours ago, Emil said:

It'd be neat if they added the current girls to Dream Choice some day, tan Towa would be stunning.

It really would! I think my wallet would be doomed 😂

• Like 1

forged_in_mess

I really hope that they will come up with replacement with some similar measurements.... 

Also what about the parts... I just got my mochi ashi in October and I'm worried if any part breaks then replacement won't be available anymore... 

Emil
4 hours ago, forged_in_mess said:

Also what about the parts... I just got my mochi ashi in October and I'm worried if any part breaks then replacement won't be available anymore... 

It's rather difficult to break an f3 frame unless you mishandle your dolls to an absolute extreme. 

However, in the event whatever new parts we get aren't compatible with current mdd frames, then it will indeed eventually be impossible to get replacements, once stock has sold out. This was the same fate of all previous iterations of the DD frame. They'll probably sell whatever new (presumably) vinyl shells they make for MDD though. 

And of course, there's no word for certain about whether they'll adjust the frames (at least to a point that makes it incompatible with current f3), nor the shells. It's all just speculation. They might wait to for the current stock to dwindle down quite a bit before announcing anything new. 

Edited by Emil

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

nannecakes

as a collector of only MDD… seeing this honestly stressed me out so much… my poor floating heads :’( i’m hopeful the *potential, specualtive* new body design won’t change too much because i really love it as is! 

do you think it’s related at all to the yumemiru dollfie cafe thing that got postponed? it would be so sad if they just cancelled the whole MDD line, though T-T

• Like 2

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, nannecakes said:

i’m hopeful the *potential, specualtive* new body design won’t change too much because i really love it as is! 

I doubt they move away from MSD form factor, they'd need a new line of outfits if they did. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

DreamsicleDollAqua

Majorly disappointed by this news. Seeing peoples custom MDD's are what got me into Dollfies and my first dollfie is an MDD. I really liked how the MDD bodies looked and from my experience with them how they worked. (I don't have much experience with vinyl dolls so maybe there were issues I didn't realize)

Roserolls

Honestly as much as I would be interested in seeing new releases/changes for the standard model line, I feel like they would announce they were discontinuing all of them instead of just the MDDs. (I wish they would at least change up the faceups for them though! Mirai and Candy especially look pretty dated)

Also I hope they at least keep MDD parts available for awhile or have compatible replacements for everyone that already has a MDD, it sucks so much when brands discontinue a line right after you buy something and you can't get any repairs or replacements for it.

I'm super curious about what this is all about though, and if it's at all related to that mysterious "Yumemiru Dollfie Cafe" thing! I was planning to buy a DDP Coron and MDD hands for her, but since they're making a big deal about these announcements I wanna hold off to see what they're going to be coming out with instead. I hope we get all the info in December from Dolpa, was there any info on the dates for it?

Starwaia

It's scary to even wonder if they'd end a whole line like that, but it seems we're mostly expecting some sort of frame/design update so that's reassuring. I never had an intense desire to get a MDD anytime soon because I currently have other priorities budget wise, but I had always hoped to fit one into my plans at some point in the future, given their cuteness and more portable size than a full sized DD or Smartdoll. I hope that they aren't gone for good, but fortunately it seems the general consensus is that it's not likely? I suppose all we can do is wait...

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

foo

I kinda suspect this is related to the Dollfie Cafe announcement being cancelled. Maybe they were going to announce it, which is something that will replace MDDs, but they were worried about their MDD base body inventory. 

Tango_Six

The Volks International webstore has both flesh & semi-white MDD base bodies in stock for normal MDD & Mochi-Ashi at the time of this post. The semi-white was out of stock earlier today for the normal MDD body (770 people have the semi-white normal MDD body in their wish list haha).

Was a little annoyed at seeing the discontinuation announcement (only saw it yesterday - on MFC of all places, then checked here) as I had been holding off buying one for a while now, and decided to grab one when I saw they were back in stock.

Edited by Tango_Six
Change MMD to MDD...

watercolorpastels

Yikes! This is scary. I highly doubt that they're entirely discontinuing MDDs, but it's still worrisome how vague their announcement post is.

CreationOdyssey

Wait… WAIT!!!! They HAVE to be remaking the body with changes and maybe more options… 

They just released the two new heads???😵💫😵💫

Still this is extremely stressful as I wasn’t planning on getting bodies for my customs until after I got their heads sorted . I just filled out a form for an artist this week actually. I hate the idea of having to abandon the project because I can’t get a hold of bodies for a reasonable price.

Also would have preferred that they not announce it. This is basically asking scalpers to swoop in and buy up bodies then turn around and sell them for 10x the price.

😩😩😩😩

This officially stresses me out NGL.

Will be a nice surprise if they come out with a new body that is more diverse though in ranges. An asexual body to a body that’s made for those who like a bigger bust though. 

• Like 2

Silent

I have seen announcement on twitter but I guessed the twitter translator may be wrong.

If volks would discountinue MDD I guess it would not be strange from market strategy angle, since Parabox seems having bigger spektrum of mini bodies. Meanwhile parabox abandoned 60 cm body (Volks and CJ seems dominating 60 cm body field). Pity.

Who knows what is behind.

BeyondTime
On 11/19/2022 at 9:29 AM, CreationOdyssey said:

They just released the two new heads???😵💫😵💫

I think this is one reason that they won't be eliminating the concept of MDD. They've obviously done recent development of products for MDD sized dolls. Pretty sure they're just getting ready to upgrade the body to a newer form. The only other alternative is they will refocus their MDD efforts onto DDP, but I think that doubtful unless they plan on releasing a resin equivalent.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

CreationOdyssey
7 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I think this is one reason that they won't be eliminating the concept of MDD. They've obviously done recent development of products for MDD sized dolls. Pretty sure they're just getting ready to upgrade the body to a newer form. The only other alternative is they will refocus their MDD efforts onto DDP, but I think that doubtful unless they plan on releasing a resin equivalent.

Yeah it really would not make any sense to completely get rid of the line. I guess my concern is more because we don’t know what’s replacing it. My project I was just going to use the standard body for my boys. If they turn around and make the new body more feminine then I would have needed to purchase the current standards (which I won’t have the budget for after sending the heads off to the face up artist).

It all just feels very haphazard and frustrating. So hopefully we’ll get clarity soon. 

Misuka

I'm wondering if they are streamlining into only a 'mochi' body so that it can share shoes with DD, and making wider hips so the mochi legs look properly proportioned with the hips. There is also a huge market for more 'hand' types now, I wonder if they will address that too.

ragnamuffin
8 minutes ago, Misuka said:

I'm wondering if they are streamlining into only a 'mochi' body so that it can share shoes with DD, and making wider hips so the mochi legs look properly proportioned with the hips. There is also a huge market for more 'hand' types now, I wonder if they will address that too.

There is some speculation on Japanese doll Twitter that the body is being revised into a normal/Mochi-Ashi hybrid, but who knows.

PolitelyNefarious

This would make sense given the popularity of chubby 1/4th and 1/6th size anime dolls with that pear shape. Volks has been the leader in anime aesthetic dolls for around two decades now, but they have much more competition per the last few years. Especially between Smart Doll, blind boxes, and companies like Imomo and Dollzone who offer similar things for a much lower price.  (An $85 - $136 legit MDD-sized vinyl doll? Yes, please) Mochi Ashi revived popularity in MDD- while they never went away, we saw a boom in them per its release. Giving her the streamlined body fit she needed to be a 'whole' curvy shape would make her fully competitive.

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg

Emil

Mochi Ashi seems far, far less popular in Japan compared to regular MDD though. I'd be very surprised if they got rid of the slim MDD silhouette. It would feel like replacing DD/DDS with only Dynamite type hips/thighs. 

• Like 1

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

ragnamuffin
21 minutes ago, Emil said:

Mochi Ashi seems far, far less popular in Japan compared to regular MDD though. I'd be very surprised if they got rid of the slim MDD silhouette. It would feel like replacing DD/DDS with only Dynamite type hips/thighs. 

Yeah, I agree with this assessment. When news of the discontinuation broke, the first thing to sell out was the semi-white skin normal MDD body, both online and in-store (speaking from experience), followed by the normal MDD in flesh online.

When I went to pick up the body I ordered a week later, all MDD bodies were still in stock except SWS. I’m not sure the Mochi-Ashi ever sold out in either colour (tan bodies are not available on their own).

Even on Japanese doll Twitter, you almost never see Mochi-Ashi bodies.

• Like 1

chantelle

I wonder if the Mochi Ashi hips are a factor in their lack of popularity (in Japan at least). The dissonance between the regular MDD hip part and the thicker legs is kind of jarring and looks unnatural. It honestly put me off from them. I love MDDs but I somehow never really felt the Mochi Ashi looked that cute, especially in comparison to similarly pudgy bodies from competing brands. It was always a shame to me because I really do like pudgier dolls.

I would really like it if Volks made two replacement bodies for MDD, one that is slim like the original MDD, and one that is pudgy like the Mochi Ashi but with hip proportions that properly accommodate the legs.

Edited by chantelle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

finnleo

Hmmm... The new preorder hasnt been announced yet. And theyve been a sort of launch pad for new bodies for volks

If they made a full mochi body, Next sqeenix collab a Nanamo Ul Namo?

Misuka

Yes, the proportions were off and were jarring. However, the Mochi body sold very well initially. I suspect they sort of put it out on a lark, but it sold better than they expected, and the holdouts were people who really couldn't stand the aesthetic difference. Now they are addressing it perhaps?

The potential to share shoe sizes would also be difficult to pass up on a production standpoint, you would only have to make one 'set' of shoes other than heels (more or less, we know there is more subtle variation but I mean generically) and there would be ability to share more skirts due to wider hips.

I do agree it would be nice for them to keep a slimmer body. Maybe they are making a more modular MDD body sort of like the older models, where you can swap out parts and it all looks correct?

Xiongmao

I think the Mochi-Ashi dolls have sold very well. They're certainly popular with collectors. When mine appeared for sale there were a LOT of interest and I was very fortunate I lived in the same country as the seller. On the downside her body is a mess so I'm sure Volks could improve the internals a lot.

I don't know what the future holds for MDD but I have just snapped up Rena Ryugu from Mandarake [MagicalRozen's unboxing of her is here]. I've acquired mine for a good price and there's a good chance all MDD will become grails in the not too distant future.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.