Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Xiongmao

Super Dollfie Mytyl

Xiongmao

Mods: I know SD aren't vinyl but as a SD noob I've found there's very little about them online. Also maybe DD owners might be interested in acquring an SD or three 🥴.

Mytyl's Backstory: Last January I owned precisely one vinyl doll (Towa). This was the time I started collecting Pureneemos, but Towa and I were deadlocked about who her sister would be.

And then Volks announced a SD lottery...

The winners would get the chance of purchasing Mytyl... a weirdly alluring French girl with no vowels in her name.

I'm not keen on SD, although I have a soft spot for Mai. I guess they appeal more to women and more traditional doll collectors, whereas DD were traditionally aimed more at male anime otaku. I don't know, but there's no word in English for the look that certain dolls have that I'm not keen on but women love. It's the look that a lot of boy dolls have. Japanese or German will have such a word.

I haven't showed Mytyl to my sister in law, who has a couple of Blythes and a thriving doll-related etsy store. She loved Towa, but I suspect she'd actually kill me to get her hands on Mytyl.

Mytyl kind of resonates with me because one of my earliest childhood memories is of attending a school production of a play that is or was very similar to the story that is the inspiration for Mytyl.

I'm a total SD noob but I appear to have figured out all I need to know so far. I know not to touch her face. They appear not to need bodysuits. I managed to find a Youtube video that helped me put her hands on. Her outfit wasn't too difficult to put on... there's far more complex DD outfits.

If anyone else has a limited edition SD then is it the case you can register him/her and buy some exclusives? I think Mytyl has a tonne of optional hands which I might get. I don't know if there's anything else. I have already secured her optional outfit, which comprises a cape and a bird cage (!). I thought this set would be a grail but it turned out there's a lot of them surfacing on Yahoo auctions, and they're not crazily expensive either. The ultimate grail will probably be sourcing a 1:3 scale bird 🐦.

• The SD packaging is great.
  • Her faceup is mindblowing.
  • I love how her knees lock into position when you move them.
  • She's really poseable, with none of the DDdy/Mochi-Ashi hip nightmares. I guess humans have been making stringed BJDs for centuries, so this craft was perfected a long time ago.
  • She's reassuringly heavy, although she feels much colder than a DD.
  • Her outfit is very nice and it was lucky I bought Towa a SD outfit otherwise she might be stealing it. I've heard SD outfits stain though, so Towa is wearing her bodysuit (plus our climate is pretty dry).
  • I think Mytyl would fit most of the DD outfits we already have. She's a little shorter than Towa, but more curvy than a DDS.

Dislikes:

• Her wig doesn't stay on. It's not an amazingly good fit and her resin head is a lot more slippery than DD heads.
  • I'm kind of scared to break her so I will clear the Lego away and sit her on the bookcase in the dark hallway.

I paid 170,000 JPY for her which is annoyingly quite a bit more than her lottery cost of something like 95,000. The scalpers might have had to pay taxes and shipping though. She still cost slightly less than I paid for DDS Rin.

She's on the SDGr body and I understand they only use this for limited releases. I don't know how desirable Mytyl is but other SDGr limited releases can sell for huge amounts. SD are extremely rare in the UK but I suspect she'd attract a tonne of interest if I ever listed her for sale in a dedicated BJD group.

So here is Mytyl... she's kind of too big for my photobooth but she sits really well on the Volks school chair.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Rajke

Congrats on getting Mytyl. 
She looks really nice. Her face up is very gorgeous. 
@onion26@

• Like 1

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Subaru

Congrats on the new doll, that's so interesting!
This seems to be relatively rare, so hopefully you'll curate some documentation on this type of doll to help newcomers who have interest in "SD".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

PolitelyNefarious

@Xiongmao Congratulations on your first resin lady! I've seen my share of Mytyl outfits for sale, but seldom the fullset doll. Volks does some gorgeous work with the resin faceups, and she is no exception. Her parted mouth gives her a pleasantly wistful expression. All put together, she's reminiscent of the bisque dolls of yore. A solid, classic look. She'll look lovely with the cage and accessories. Have you considered checking out some craft stores? Might be able to find some working birds and dodge the shipping fees.

As far as wigs go, this is where those silicone wigcaps come in handy. They won't risk staining her like they would vinyl, and you should only need one well-fitting one to keep her wig in place. I'm not sure how big her head is though, whether she's more an 8/9 or a 9/10. (My only Volks SD is an old lad, and a bigger head to wig at 9/10)

Most Dollfies are notably skinnier than your average SD girl. But if she's a close fit for Dollfie clothes, SD13 / 'SD Female' should fit her fine. I need to check the measurements on her body against some of mine.

Absolutely, positively keep her out of the sunlight / any kind of UV light, and try to handle her with clean / non-sweaty hands where possible. This should lower her yellowing process, and while yellowing is inevitable, if she's made well, she'll age well. Keeping the temperature moderate will also help, although short of anything crazy hot or crazy cold, I wouldn't stress it too much. I don't keep my dolls near a heater or a freezer and they've aged fine. I also don't handle them with gloves, but some do, and I've had everything from resin that yellowed noticeably to resin that never seems to age at all. If you're taking good care of your doll, it always comes down to the material itself and how that batch turned out. Happily, Volks is a consistent maker, and while I think they can be overpriced for what you are getting sometimes, I can't fault their commitment to quality and reliability in doll standards.

Exclusive-wise, I was always under the impression that releases like those from Volks were limited, like the corresponding outfits they might release with a character DD. But I have never bought directly from Volks, so... maybe? I know there are exclusives you can order when purchasing directly through the Dollfie Choice system, just like the vinyl version.

3 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

SD are extremely rare in the UK but I suspect she'd attract a tonne of interest if I ever listed her for sale in a dedicated BJD group.

Actually, the UK has a decent-size BJD community. I have several friends / acquaintances there I've purchased dolls on the cheap from, and as a whole, the European BJD community is big enough to have multiple conventions a year. (Although the most well-known one, L-Doll, was retired right around the start of the pandemic. It used to be held in France.) But much like the US, BJD stores are not all that common for sure, and obviously there are the horrific import and customs fees to contend with.

Volks fullsets are a hit or miss- some sell quickly, some take their time. With that big pricetag from the company, if you tack on an upcharge you are taking your chances. I don't know the resale value on this girl, but then again, I guess I buy my dolls more with my own enjoyment in mind. When it comes to resin, I prepare myself to take a loss should I resell, unless it's something extra special. I have only ever flipped something I found on the cheap a handful of times. In general, I take anywhere from a $50 to a $100 hit to keep a doll moving, and in the worst case, over half the cost. Unlike the vinyl secondhand market, secondhand BJDs can move pretty slow since we went from a handful of artists to being glutted for choice. And more come out every year, become the hot new 'thing' everyone wants to pay crazy secondhand prices for... until something else comes along. Then you're lucky if you can get back 3/4ths of what you paid. Only a few dolls stay perennial, and even they go through waves.

All that said, now that you have her, I hope she's enjoyable. Crossing the fence from one doll type to the other can be an odd experience, as both are quite different despite having similar basic features. And it's not for everyone. But I'm glad you decided to give resin a shot as long as she was bothering you for this long. If a doll keeps coming to mind long after, sometimes it's meant to be.

Edited by PolitelyNefarious
  • Like 3

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg

BeyondTime

I know not to touch her face.

Don’t pull clothes over her face either. Volks recommends using a protective face mask when changing them. I never go that far, but I’m super careful with the face. 

Her wig doesn't stay on. It's not an amazingly good fit and her resin head is a lot more slippery than DD heads.

You can use Volks wig stopper, which is basically Velcro safe for the doll head. I don’t like this option because it snags wig fibers when changing the wigs, but it does work. They sell a silicone ring too, and that one works well as long as the wig isn’t super loose  

• Like 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

ragnamuffin
9 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

The winners would get the chance of purchasing Mytyl... a weirdly alluring French girl with no vowels in her name.

Her name is actually Michiru, they just decided to stylize it like that to look exotic.

9 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

I have already secured her optional outfit, which comprises a cape and a bird cage (!). I thought this set would be a grail but it turned out there's a lot of them surfacing on Yahoo auctions, and they're not crazily expensive either. The ultimate grail will probably be sourcing a 1:3 scale bird 🐦.

Maybe you can stick the Blue Bird YoSDs that were also part of the Journey to Dream Nights release in that cage 😂

• Like 1

Stupid_Hoomun

Congratulations on getting her. I've not paid much attention to the SD's as I never saw one that really appealed to me. I can see why you jumped at the chance to get her, she is beautiful.

• Like 1

Monty
6 hours ago, ragnamuffin said:

Her name is actually Michiru, they just decided to stylize it like that to look exotic.😂

Not to ‘um ackshually’, but it *is * Mytyl, ‘Michiru’ is just how it’s written in katakana. Her and her brother Tyltyl (Chiruchiru) are from the story The Bluebird. SD’s Journey to Dream Nights features characters from various famous stories as SD, and Bluebird has the characters Mytyl (SDGr girl), Tyltyl (SDGr boy) ‘Tyltyl’s Younger Brother’ (SDBoy)and the bluebird himself (YoSD, two versions).
It’s a coincidence that the katakana spelling turns it into a regular sounding Japanese name, although certainly makes it easier for Japanese speakers to figure out how it’s pronounced at a glance lol. There’s also a LUTS doll called Tyltyl and I had no idea how it was meant to be pronounced until I saw the Volks one. 

Edited by Monty
  • Like 4

ragnamuffin

Oh interesting, I didn’t even know this story existed! That explains a lot because Azone also has an obsession with the ‘blue bird of happiness’. (And in that case, Mytyl’s name does have vowels in it since y is a vowel in French.)

For anyone interested, the book is in the public domain here.

Monty
1 hour ago, ragnamuffin said:

Azone also has an obsession with the ‘blue bird of happiness’. 

I think the Azone dolls were the first time I had heard of it being a story regarded as a classic (to stand along other more well known fairytales, which is odd because it’s not really a ‘fairytale’ per se) and before that I remember hearing about a ‘bluebird of happiness’ in some anime or other, so the story seems to have some kind of popularity in Japan. Certainly enough for (at least) two separate doll companies to make dolls based on it in lines that are otherwise mostly fairy tales anyway.

Emil
23 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

If anyone else has a limited edition SD then is it the case you can register him/her and buy some exclusives?

This is generally the original buyer only, plus limited time. They come with a sheet that has a link to a volks.jp webpage (or US if Volks USA) and you can buy option hands from there. Sometimes the link allows people who didn't buy the doll to order (assuming someone shares it for some reason), however I've heard they may cancel the order if the doll isn't in your order history. It would be easier (imo) to search for PS Fair SDGr girl hands secondhand. Make 100% sure it's the girl hands and not the guy hands lol. 

Mytyl is fairly desirable, but not as much as some of the other releases. I'd say she still trumps Lucia, but she's not quite on the level of popularity as, say, Sapphire or Alice/Lorina. 

Congrats on your Mytyl! 170k yen doesn't sound too bad with the current market tbh, I see her for 180-210 mostly. 

• Like 2

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

Xiongmao

Thanks all...

I wasn't sure if I could actually post about her in a vinyl forum, but seeing my current household she has decided to identify as vinyl 😂.

She's sleeping in her box right now. I plan on sitting her in my windowless hallway. The UK has a pretty decent climate for BJDs so she'll be OK. I don't plan on changing her outfit often (if at all). Her outfit covers almost her entire body anyway. I have a tendency to look after stuff... I still have my 1976-83 Lego sets and most are in great condition.

Her price wasn't too bad. There's actually one on eBay UK. She's a lot more than the Mandarake price, but not too much more given shipping and import duties.

I'm pretty sure I saw The Bluebird play when I was a kid... I was only 5 or 6 at the time so I don't remember too much. I might be wrong but I think many SD are heavily inspired by French culture.

I found a really interesting history of SD on Youtube last night. I still dream of finding Chii but now I realise there were very few of any particular doll made in the early days. Some of the earlier dolls are currently on Mandarake.

I don't know too much about Mytyl but it does look like the SD Frozen characters will become super collectible (if they aren't already). My niece loves that movie, although she's not keen on dolls.

I'm not sure if Volks did a SD lottery this year. I remember entering another one last Summer. I think it was for a boy but I can't be sure now.

As to birds and birdcages... my sister works in a village that has a doll shop. She bought me some accessories for Christmas but they're all Pureneemo sized. I don't know if they do larger items... they're not open very often.

Here's Towa (DDdy) and Mytyl for size comparison. Towa has decided to only wear SD outfits from now on, although I have been warned they can stain. This designer shrine maiden inspired outfit is white lined though. It looks absolutely fantastic on her. It does also come with socks, although they're barely visible below that enormous skirt.

Mytyl's outfit should be long lasting. I guess her boots may be pleather but they look to be generic Volks boots. I am kind of tempted to see what a SD Miku would look like though...

spacer.png

• Like 1

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

BeyondTime
6 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

I wasn't sure if I could actually post about her in a vinyl forum, but seeing my current household she has decided to identify as vinyl 😂.

They're fine in the off topic resin section of the forum. In the vinyl areas it's ok for her to be in photos with your vinyls as long as the main point of the images is the vinyl doll or topics related to vinyls. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

moerunamida

Congrats on your Mytyl! I swore up and down that I'd only ever stick to vinyls, but I started admiring Lieselotte and Charlotte last year. I didn't get either, but I kept wanting to possibly get a resin someday although a friend I have has some resins and I wasn't wowed by one in person. Then I saw SDGr Marie Antoinette last month. Didn't know it was a manga, but I loved the movie with Kirsten Dunce so much and just fell in love with her face. She looks like an SD version of Usagi from Sailor Moon. I entered for her. Whether or not I win, we shall see, but thanks for asking some questions that I needed to ask in case I do win 😄

• Like 1

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Xiongmao
14 hours ago, Eighteafive said:

Congrats on your Mytyl! I swore up and down that I'd only ever stick to vinyls, but I started admiring Lieselotte and Charlotte last year. I didn't get either, but I kept wanting to possibly get a resin someday although a friend I have has some resins and I wasn't wowed by one in person. Then I saw SDGr Marie Antoinette last month. Didn't know it was a manga, but I loved the movie with Kirsten Dunce so much and just fell in love with her face. She looks like an SD version of Usagi from Sailor Moon. I entered for her. Whether or not I win, we shall see, but thanks for asking some questions that I needed to ask in case I do win 😄

Wow, she's cute and does kind of look like Kirsten.

Entering the lotteries was fun. As well as Mytyl's lottery I also entered the boy's dormitory lottery but didn't win that one either.

I'm not sure if the SD take a long time to be produced but a little bit of Mytyl stuff suddenly appeared for sale this January (so a full 12 months after the lottery). So you would probably get another shot at her. Mytyl did of course have a big mark up but her extra outfit wasn't much more than the original price. SDGr are generally very rare though. I only saw a single Mytyl on Mandarake. There are a handful on eBay but the prices are 😪.

I am desperate to dress Mytyl up in DD outfits but I'm not sure if that is considered totally wrong. SD Miku would be really interesting. I'll give it a go after the rest of her actual outfit arrives.

• Like 1

Emil
50 minutes ago, Xiongmao said:

I'm not sure if the SD take a long time to be produced

With FCS, it's around 1-3mo depending on makeup options, so I'd estimate around there and a bit longer for preorders on limiteds, but lots of SDs are in stock sales for lottery as far as I know. 

50 minutes ago, Xiongmao said:

I am desperate to dress Mytyl up in DD outfits but I'm not sure if that is considered totally wrong. SD Miku would be really interesting. I'll give it a go after the rest of her actual outfit arrives.

I'm sure there's some "puritans" out there, but I honestly don't see why not, a lot of DD stuff fits on SDGr as well (SD10 and SD13 struggle with this haha, DD stuff is too slim for them) so I'd say go for it. Volks even offers animetic makeup as a recommended makeup option for FCS

20230121_160532.jpg

Edited by Emil
  • Like 1

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

moerunamida
2 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

Wow, she's cute and does kind of look like Kirsten.

Entering the lotteries was fun. As well as Mytyl's lottery I also entered the boy's dormitory lottery but didn't win that one either.

I'm not sure if the SD take a long time to be produced but a little bit of Mytyl stuff suddenly appeared for sale this January (so a full 12 months after the lottery). So you would probably get another shot at her. Mytyl did of course have a big mark up but her extra outfit wasn't much more than the original price. SDGr are generally very rare though. I only saw a single Mytyl on Mandarake. There are a handful on eBay but the prices are 😪.

Ooh, an SD Miku would be something to see! Yeah if I win her Marie, I'll probably keep her in her stock. I had to ask a friend what the differences were in the body types. I'm excited to see if I win. I'm already compiling a list of dos and don'ts, because I know resin is very different from vinyl.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Xiongmao

Mytyl now has her birdcage set. It also came with the hair bow and the throw thing (I don't know if there's an English name for it... there may be a French word).

Unusually I didn't have to pay a crazy price for the set either. I guess it's not really that useful unless you already have Mytyl's main outfit.

A 1:3 scale bluebird is now my SD grail 🐦.

spacer.png

• Like 2

SakuraSylph
On 1/13/2023 at 7:21 AM, Monty said:

I think the Azone dolls were the first time I had heard of it being a story regarded as a classic (to stand along other more well known fairytales, which is odd because it’s not really a ‘fairytale’ per se) and before that I remember hearing about a ‘bluebird of happiness’ in some anime or other, so the story seems to have some kind of popularity in Japan.

Agreed, the Bluebird of Happiness story does seem to be in the general consciousness of pop culture in Japan as one of the standard fairy tales.  It shows up in video games too, playing a prominent role in Luna's arc in the puzzle visual novel Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. I've also wondered if Chihaya Kisaragi's (iM@S) signature song Aoi Tori isn't loosely based on the tale.

• Like 1

SakuraSylph

Subaru

The first time i heard of the bluebird of happiness story was in Sakura Taisen haha.

• Like 1

My wallet needs a vacation 💸
spacer.png
Blog Insta Ko-Fi Etsy

BeyondTime
On 2/1/2023 at 3:25 PM, Subaru said:

The first time i heard of the bluebird of happiness story was in Sakura Taisen haha.

Same here. 

Xiongmao

I randomly stumbled upon a 6 pack of birds (as you do) in my local Lidl supermarket.

Mytyl now has her bluebird. Frieren also has a Stille 😁.

spacer.png

• Like 3