Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Resilient

Vinyl and staining

Resilient

Hi,

I bought a cocoa and a cinnamon doll and I’ve been exhibiting them with their clothes on for two days now. The cinnamon one is wearing her original dark purple underwear and the cocoa one has a Kelly green tshirt on and a pair of jeans with white protection leggings under her pants. I was also thinking of making her wear Culture Japan’s grey undies with her regular clothes. I’m ready to believe that dark colours stain easier but can bright and pale colors have the same effect? How much time is it going to take to make the dark colors stain?

I live in a temperate country and I don’t turn the heating on very often in my recreation/work room but I do turn it up often in the bedroom because it’s winter. I’m thinking of putting them in that room sometimes because I’d like that option.

Also, now that I’m remembering, I bought the plastic high heels shoes sold on the official website and I was wondering if their color might transfer onto the doll’s skin after a prolonged wearing time ? I have two pairs in yellow and pink. Will the shoes made out of fabric stain as well?

So much to consider. Why is owning a Smart Doll so complicated? Why is vinyl so susceptible to staining?

If someone can give me a clear picture of what to expect I would gladly read their comments.

Thanks

Resilient

sig.png

Tierparkzone
1 hour ago, Resilient said:

I’m ready to believe that dark colours stain easier but can bright and pale colors have the same effect?

Staining is usually caused by dye in the clothing fabric seeping into the pores of the vinyl. A deep bright color can still mean a high amount of dye and stain risk - but stains may not be as visible if they get "overshadowed" by the vinyl's own color. A pale color usually means a low concentration of dye, so not much material that can cause stains (and therefore likely safe).

How much time is it going to take to make the dark colors stain?

That depends on fabric, dye, the vinyl itself, and many environmental factors. Some stuff may stain on contact, some after a few minutes or hours, some will only become an issue if worn for months, and some dark fabrics may still not stain at all. Best to keep a bit of scrap vinyl around for stain testing clothes you're unsure about.

If you have mostly clothes from the Smart Doll store, best check their listings. They have a stain risk rating for each clothing item. Anything with a "low" should cause you no issue at all. Anything with "medium" should be fine with a bodysuit underneath.

I bought the plastic high heels shoes sold on the official website and I was wondering if their color might transfer onto the doll’s skin after a prolonged wearing time ?

These are made of vinyl, right? Then the pigment for them should be "baked" into the plastic, not dyed afterwards. I don't think there are staining issues with these, just as two vinyl dolls holding hands doesn't cause staining between them.

Why is vinyl so susceptible to staining?

Don't be too scared of stains (although I can understand the feeling when just starting out). Try to keep the face/head (or any other painted bits) stain free. All other parts can always be treated somewhat easily, if necessary.

• Like 4

Rajke

By culture Japan I (knocking of on wood) haven’t had any stains caused by the outfits made by them.

I do wash all clothing before using them.

Plastic can stain, depends on the type of paint. My girls are wearing PLA bracelets in blue without problems. With my project Karos I have tested some paints and I know that only the gold and black paint is staining. It really depends on the type of paint that is used.

Best tip I can give you is to have a small part of scrap vinyl for stain testing.

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Xiongmao

I've not seen any staining on my girls after the incident when Towa got something on her hands a couple of years back.

I think humidity is a major issue, and also letting the dolls stand or sit against a surface for an extended period of time.

Bodysuits are good too, although if you're into Dollfies there seems to be a bit of a bodysuit shortage of late.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

ragnamuffin

I made a post about this back when I first joined the forums. I started the thread with my Obitsu in mind (who hasn’t stained in all this time as far as I can tell), but the advice also applies to DDs and presumably SmDs as well.

Note that practically anything can stain your doll—the dark clothing you had on her for a few minutes, the surface you laid her down on for a few seconds, the invisible dye on your hands from handling the clothes. It’s bound to happen at some point no matter how careful you are, so just embrace it.

• Like 1

Resilient
On 1/22/2023 at 8:25 AM, Tierparkzone said:

Don't be too scared of stains (although I can understand the feeling when just starting out). Try to keep the face/head (or any other painted bits) stain free. All other parts can always be treated somewhat easily, if necessary.

Hi, I read some posts about stain removal on the forum but are they a 100 % effective ?

sig.png

Resilient
On 1/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, Rajke said:

By culture Japan I (knocking of on wood) haven’t had any stains caused by the outfits made by them.

Hi, did you buy dark-colored outfits like shirts and camisoles ? Do you have your girls wear the Hiroshima jeans as well ?

sig.png

Resilient
On 1/22/2023 at 6:28 PM, ragnamuffin said:

I made a post about this back when I first joined the forums. I started the thread with my Obitsu in mind (who hasn’t stained in all this time as far as I can tell), but the advice also applies to DDs and presumably SmDs as well.

Are your Obitsus and Dollfie Dreams made of vinyl too ?

sig.png

Rajke
30 minutes ago, Resilient said:

Hi, did you buy dark-colored outfits like shirts and camisoles ? Do you have your girls wear the Hiroshima jeans as well ?

I do have the Apocalypse uniform which does not stain so far. (2 months wearing on cinnamon) I don’t have the Hiroshima jeans but I do have the Bell Bottom jeans which is similar in colour. Honestly I use a white pantyhose under that one. The pantyhose didn’t show any stains but I dared not to try it right on the skin. The green pants however do not stain. I used them for 3 months at most on milk skintone without stains. 

ps. Dollfie Dreams are made of vinyl. 

Edited by Rajke

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Tierparkzone

Hi, I read some posts about stain removal on the forum but are they a 100 % effective ?

Didn't have a stain yet, that I wasn't able to get rid of with Dream Rescue and patience. Some heavy stains may take several treatment sessions though.

Then again all stains will diffuse and weaken over time (provided the source of the stain is removed). This means, localized stains will even vanish by themselves eventually, but we're talking a time span of at least several months here.

Again, I recommend checking the stain rating for each of your items on the Smart Doll website.

I have a few black and dark brown shirts with a "low" rating. These are perfectly safe, no beforehand washing or other precautions needed.

Jeans fabric intrinsically has the tendency to stain so these will never be perfectly safe. If I'm not mistaken, most jeans on the Smart Doll store are rated "medium". Short term (like for a photoshoot), they should not cause issues without additional protective measures. If your doll wants to wear them for a prolonged time, definitely put some stain protection shorts/leggings or a bodysuit underneath, so that no jeans fabric directly contacts the doll skin. I recommend against washing Smart Doll jeans (at best reduces the staining speed, not the stain risk itself) as they're a pretty tight fit to begin with. If they shrink during the washing, they may not fit at all anymore.

ragnamuffin
2 hours ago, Resilient said:

Are your Obitsus and Dollfie Dreams made of vinyl too ?

Yes.

Malloruru

I honestly wonder if just putting doll clothes through a wash a couple of times would solve the staining issue. Besides some materials like jean.
Since what stains them in the left over dye in the fabric. Most fabric sellers do not prewash fabric after its dyed because it is coated in chemicals that helps keep the fabric safe during storage and transport. That is why (along with shrinkage) you have to wash fabric before sewing with it, or else it will stain other clothing or even your skin when you wear it. But doll/toy clothes are usually made without prewashing the fabric, it just takes more time and money. In wish case, washing them will also SHRINK them , so hand wash and hang to dry is safest!

Xiongmao

As I've posted elsewhere in the forum, I tempted fate by writing my previous post in this thread.

Kirika has been very disastrously stained by a Volks outfit.

She's currently in doll hospital. I'd guestimate that 70% of the intensity of the stain has gone, but removing the remaining 30% is going to take time... a lot of it.

The big advantage of Dollfies over Smart Dolls (and maybe others) is that it's easy to swap out damaged bodyparts. I could just buy Kirika a new bust part, but the results to date suggest stain removal will be successful.

The other downside is that certain dolls have very rare bodyparts, e.g. Miku's hands with painted nails, and some dolls have one piece torsos. Of course their heads are usually the most expensive parts, so it's important to avoid anything that might stain these.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

puxlavoix
8 hours ago, Malloruru said:

I honestly wonder if just putting doll clothes through a wash a couple of times would solve the staining issue.

I've done this in the past and no, it doesn't do much. Based in my personal experience it takes quite an effort to take "all" of the potentially harmful dye off; usually do it with dish soap and hot water ill taken somewhere about 20 minutes of continuous scrubing and rinsing directly below the faucet to take the majority of it. Like I've said before in another posts, just rinsing in whatever solution won't work. Of course all of this may dull some of the brightest or deepest colors but its a fair trade-off of being able to forget about staining.

On a side note I recently had horrible staining issues with a maid outfit from a default outfit I was just too lazy to wash before hand and it stained my doll's skin instantly, like real time staining lol. Case in point is that I ended up giving it the dish soap treatment only to discover that no amount of cycles seemed to take all of the dye out: first day i washed it more than 10 times and the water just kept coming out like grape juice, deep dark purple so I gave up finishing trying it on my girl that night and just let it sit in heavily concentrated dish solution for the night. Long story short I repeated this exact same procedure over the next 4 days and every single time the water came out deep purple which led me to realize that the amount of dye within it was just unfathomable and no procedure would take it all out. Just FYI, ended up putting my girl in Rin's bodysuit and called it a day lol. I never ever had to put my girl in one because I truly think they are horrendous but heck what are you gonna do? :lol:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

Jezrah
39 minutes ago, puxlavoix said:

Long story short I repeated this exact same procedure over the next 4 days and every single time the water came out deep purple which led me to realize that the amount of dye within it was just unfathomable and no procedure would take it all out.

Alter v2's default is like that, particularly the deep purple silk. I tried soaking and washing it multiple times but there was still so much dye in it that trying it on a girl in a hurry and accidentally brushing it against a bare leg left a big dark streak. I ended up selling it on shortly after.

• Sad 2

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Xiongmao

Here's an actual case study of staining and stain removal from a vinyl Dollfie Dream.

My beloved Kirika's neck was stained by a pleather type material choker. I assume it's the kind of material Yor Forger's assassin's dress is made from. It only stained where it was fastened.

Below is what she looked like 8 days ago and the inset is what she looks like today. Personally I think the original stain is one of the worst I have ever seen and I totally freaked out when I saw it.

Please read below the photo VERY CAREFULLY if you want to try some super rapid stain removal that works.

spacer.png

I was going to make a timelapse of how the stain looked every day. But that's actually rubbish. After messing around for just over one week, I erased most of the staining in just 30 minutes!

Stain removal can be done INCREDIBLY QUICKLY...

1. Rub some human acne creme containing Benzoyl Peroxide onto the stained vinyl. Mine was just 5% of the active ingredient and in the UK it's called Acnecide.
  2. Put the vinyl somewhere incredibly hot. I put Kirika's bust part in a ceramic bowl on top of an electric heater (ignoring the notices saying not to put anything on top of the heater) and turned it on for half an hour forgot all about it while I was playing Fortnite. The vinyl got super hot but it didn't melt (I believe vinyl won't lose form/melt unless it reaches at least 100C).

Additional tips:

• Be super careful if treating heads or unique parts (e.g. Miku's painted hands, single body torsos). Go aggressive like I did on easily replaceable body parts.
  • UV light is not required to treat the stain, and may cause long term damage to the vinyl. Heat is required, not light.
  • I think @MagicalRozen told me that hot cars are a great place to warm up stained vinyl.
  • Another tip I've heard is to microwave a bowl of white rice then plunge the vinyl into it.
  • A hot water bottle might be useful, but be very careful of the vinyl ones as these might cause even more staining!

Unknown unknowns:

• It may be good to rest the vinyl between treatments.
  • My slow start to the stain removal may have helped the process... I'm not sure.
  • I don't know if the stain will come back. I guess not, because Towa's hands are still good after I treated those 2 years ago. Also Mandarake said Kazuha had some stains, but by the time she arrived they had gone.
  • Kirika is flesh coloured - I don't know if white, semi-white or tan require any special care other than these body parts being more difficult to replace.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MagicalRozen

6 hours ago, Xiongmao said:

Here's an actual case study of staining and stain removal from a vinyl Dollfie Dream.

My beloved Kirika's neck was stained by a pleather type material choker. I assume it's the kind of material Yor Forger's assassin's dress 

spacer.png

Additional tips:

• I think @MagicalRozen told me that hot cars are a great place to warm up stained vinyl.

Unknown unknowns:

• It may be good to rest the vinyl between treatments.

Hello, hello! Yes I did indeed say hot cars are a great way to warm vinyl. I have treated several stains, using dream rescue and a warm car, successfully! Please do be careful with this method though.

1. Do not leave it unattended for more than an hour. Please check on it, and make sure the vinyl hasn't warped, melted etc. I reccomend 2-3 hours total for accelerated treatment, per day.

2. Also make sure the car isn't too hot, like above 110-120°F, because again you risk damaging the part.

3. Please rest the vinyl between treatments. You can permanently damage the vinyl if you dont allow it to rest. I reccomend at least 48 hours between treatments.

4. Do not use the car method for any piece that has paint or that is irreplaceable. I haven't tested the method for these parts due to fear of permanent damage.

Your results look fantastic @Xiongmao! I'm so glad you were able to treat it! 😊

• Like 3

Khepra, Ginkgo, TamakiDelilah, HimikoRin, And Others That May Come And Go.

RetroKanojo

Wow @Xiongmao thank you for the report!

Stains are probably the biggest enemy in this hobby - I always keep my dolls in bodysuits because of it, but it's always good to see successful treatments! The stain on Kirika looked really intense, I'm glad you managed to get most of it out!

Maybe I should try this as well. I have a secondhand body that has a myriad of light stains dappled all over it. The stains vary in size and intensity and most of them are fairly inoffensive, but maybe a treatment or two could make them even less pronounced. I'll definitely let you all know how it went if I ever get to do it.

• Like 1

puxlavoix

It makes total sense that getting the pores in the vinyl to open up using heat will do wonders towards the treatment.

I recall this guy from instagram that he actually put the stained body inside a hot chamber with strong uv lamps and gets the job done overnight when he got one of his dolls badlyq stained and didn't even phazed him he just went like "all right guess I'm just gonna have to put her i the heat chamber all night and tomorrow she'll be fine" 

• Haha 1

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png