Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Mo3cha

Collection Themes or Not?

Mo3cha

Do you prefer to collect dolls based on a certain theme/ look, or do you prefer to have a wide variety of dolls? 
I personally have a checklist of certain types of dolls, scales, and complexions that I want to have at some point (a blythe, tan SmD, dark skinned African American inspired doll, an extremely pale doll, a doll with freckles, etc.) but I was curious if there are other collectors like me or exclusively collect a certain type/style/size of doll. 

RetroKanojo

When I started out I had similar thoughts to you, as in, that I previously was very much interested in collecting all the different body types on offer. A DD, a SmD, Tinyfox, Obitsu, Dollbot, etc., but I've since mostly given up on that because I've completely fallen for DD - or at the very least the 1/3 scale. I only have two dolls that fit into this category - Anzu, a DD Standard Model Mirai, and Faker, my DDH-07 Saber lookalike, so I'm not sure you could really say I have a type quite yet. @onion9@Although currently, they are both blonde.  

My 'collection plans' from here on out are focused more on custom heads in general. There's characters I like to have with me in Dollfie form that would never get official releases. Initially I was thinking only one or two from a certain series would be enough but.. 

4o8m5v.jpg?a465120

Why shouldn't I work on getting the entire cast? 

So I guess you could say that my collection is (going to be) more character driven? As opposed to having a very specific style, or a variety of physical attributes that I would like to have in my 'collection'. For reference, I always sucked at making OCs, so working with pre-excisting characters that I already have a bond with is much easier for me than to, for example, buy a doll with freckles and then come up with a character on my own. Anzu is kind of an outlier here, but I honestly never expected to like her as I bought her second hand and mainly for her body. She doesn't really have a strong character still, but she managed to charm me with her smile. @onion26@

• Like 1

Mo3cha

I totally agree with what you said about character dolls and OCs. That's one of the reasons why I want more dolls is so that I can have my fav characters in doll form haha.

• Like 1

Mega Negi

All vocaloids. (except one  which was collected piecemeal and intended for use as a clothes horse)

• Like 1

baldylox

The only overarching theme I have for my girls is that a good half of them are on the DDdy bodies..... I like the curves!  😄  But really, I just buy girls I like or think are cute/pretty.  There's really no rhyme or reason to it. 

Now for outfits, I have several themes I like to collect.  My main one is Maid Uniforms.  I absolutely love them!  I've got them for about half my girls now but need to get more.  

I also try to get them all kimono or yukata sets.  I don't have nearly as many as I'd like to have but it's not a priority for me.

Lastly, I love lingerie.  All of my girls have lingerie sets of one type or another.  Whether its a simple bra and panty set or a full on outfit with stockings and garters, they've all got their own as well as alternates too.  Every girl has on some and I have a drawer full of different styles and looks just in case they want to change things up.  😄 

Billy

• Like 2

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Stupid_Hoomun

I just get the dolls that appeal to me. I've only got 3,  an anime girl, an elf and a zombie.

ragnamuffin

If I like the face and can’t stop thinking about it, I get it. I don’t care too much about body type or skin colour (although it would be nice to have at least one of each), but having them all in one skin tone does enable me to buy the option hand parts 😅

Also, I have the added problem of liking dolls in all scales, so unfortunately this isn’t limited to DDs 😅

• Like 2

Mo3cha
27 minutes ago, ragnamuffin said:

If I like the face and can’t stop thinking about it, I get it. I don’t care too much about body type or skin colour (although it would be nice to have at least one of each), but having them all in one skin tone does enable me to buy the option hand parts 😅

Also, I have the added problem of liking dolls in all scales, so unfortunately this isn’t limited to DDs 😅

Saaame lol. I love all the dolls.

• Haha 1

Mo3cha
3 hours ago, baldylox said:

The only overarching theme I have for my girls is that a good half of them are on the DDdy bodies..... I like the curves!  😄  But really, I just buy girls I like or think are cute/pretty.  There's really no rhyme or reason to it. 

Now for outfits, I have several themes I like to collect.  My main one is Maid Uniforms.  I absolutely love them!  I've got them for about half my girls now but need to get more.  

I also try to get them all kimono or yukata sets.  I don't have nearly as many as I'd like to have but it's not a priority for me.

Lastly, I love lingerie.  All of my girls have lingerie sets of one type or another.  Whether its a simple bra and panty set or a full on outfit with stockings and garters, they've all got their own as well as alternates too.  Every girl has on some and I have a drawer full of different styles and looks just in case they want to change things up.  😄 

Billy

Agreed, maid outfits are so cute! I really like sailor-style uniforms and outfits as well. For one DD I have 3 sailor tops xP

• Like 1

takatsuki

I started out thinking I’d just have one Volks DDP, but somehow ended up with three DDPs and one MDD. I decided to keep my girls to a theme to make them all fit together as a group and hopefully make it harder for myself to add new dolls.

The first ‘rule’ is about the wig color because my original girl has a gorgeous orange colored wig (and I love orange), so I decided the other girl’s wigs should be orange or red (any shade).

Second ‘rule’ is for all of them have a Volks Japanese style outfit. 

Third ‘rule’ is either green or blue eyes (which one of my girls has broken with her golden brown eyes). 

Fourth ‘rule’ was all dolls have to be 50cm or less…..but since I’m planning on getting a Len in the near future (and him being over 50cm with yellow hair) I’m worried he won’t fit in with my girls even if he is dressed in a traditional Japanese outfit. I used to just get any doll I liked without thought if it ‘fit in’ with my other dolls, but this is really bothering me. It took so much effort to get my girls all finished. Yeah, I’m overthinking this too much. Maybe I will have to start a new theme for Len (which means new dolls, yay?).

• Like 1

Rajke

No rules here actually. But the preference is DDS size or MDD size. I actually like DDdy size too to be honest. As for outfits goes I prefer crop tops actually, and I think that that was already clear with some of my photo’s.

@onion9@

@onion20@   This is a signature.

RyuichiSakuma13
10 hours ago, Mo3cha said:

I totally agree with what you said about character dolls and OCs. That's one of the reasons why I want more dolls is so that I can have my fav characters in doll form haha.

I have quite a few character BJDs, and of course my first Dollfie, Hatsune Miku is also a character doll.  I also have original character dolls too. so you can say I prefer both.

Ryu

Emil

My only rules are sticking to Volks dolls and default Volks faceups only. I fear the day I get a custom head is the day I pack everyone's heads for commissions 🥲🥲 so I refrain, rip wallet if it does happen. I mostly prefer large-eyed heads, I don't have any dolls that take 20mm eyes for example. 

I was actually nervous when getting my Miu Amaha- her faceup was much different than my other dolls. I found that she still blends in quite well with everyone else though, so it wasn't an issue. Similar for Bluebell, my DC-H-20. The grey eyelashes worried me a bit, but once she was home I fell in love with them.

As long as a DD can somehow manage to fit into my vague post-apocalyptic witch school theme, I'll consider getting her. Which is most DD releases lol, the only ones I can't find an excuse for are KOS-MOS and 2B/9S largely due to their sculpts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

BeyondTime
21 hours ago, RetroKanojo said:

Why shouldn't I work on getting the entire cast? 

That was me with the iDOLM@STERS, I got Makoto, then Chihaya, and then why not collect 'em all?

My theme is really just girls who are cute, but I also go for girls from series I really like. Generally I go for DDS and DD, but I have a smattering of DDP and DDDy

For clothes I tend to go for street clothing, school uniforms, traditional Japanese, and period clothes. I really like clothing sets that let you mix and match. Usually I keep the girls in white bikinis or underwear so I can easily grab one and dress her for photos, so I have a lot of swimsuits and lingerie.

I've never really been into the cosplay type sets or holiday sets, and I'll never get an MDD or any of the kiddy style clothing items. Overall the styles I like are heavily influenced by anime, and in most of the shows I like the kid appeal characters tend to be bratty half-pints like Chibiusa, so I'm kind of blah about the entire concept.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Tira

It's not a theme, but I'm somewhat picky about my dolls all being in scale with each other, with a preference for mathematical accuracy where possible. Which is why I have the Azone Saber instead of the Volks one - Saber is 154cm, so she should be around 51cm at 1/3 scale (and the DDS version wasn't available at the time). Although now Rin is too tall... It bugs me a bit, but not enough to buy a whole new body for her. 

That doesn't mean that my dolls are all the same size. Lunalu, my Imomodoll, is a member of a halfling-esque fantasy race, so despite being much smaller than the others, she's still 1/3 scale. 

• Like 1

Singer Yuna

My theme are limited videogame character dolls mainly, but I have custom heads too (I have several dolls I own that I love the customizer work, like dollce A Derteufel collaboration (named Aurora) or Azone collaboration doll with s*t*j (named Nono) so that’s another weak point. I wish I was millionaire for owning all the sailor moon DDs but I had to settle with my favorite senshi, but I prefer spending money on my fav characters rather than a whole cast of not so fav characters.

Also for outfit collection, I have several outfits with my favorite themes and ton of cosplays of more fav characters. And then I keep in my wishlist one DDPretty and one DDboy for size completism. So to summarize, I’m a little random xD

• Like 1

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

chantelle

I never really thought of myself having rules but the more I thought about it: yeah I definitely have rules that I started following after getting my MDD.

All dolls must be 1/3 scale (imo MDDs count as 1/3 children or chibis) and be mostly proportional in relation to each other.

Anime-esque sculpts only, no semi-real or realistic dolls (unless if I intentionally want something stylistically different).

Also no duplicate head sculpts (unless if its for twins), I just don’t enjoy it. I learned this the hard way and I still need to sell them off 😂

I guess this is also a rule: all my dolls are “OCs”, I always change their names and styles from the default.

• Like 1

takatsuki

Well after much thinking and going back and forth, I decided that I need to keep my ‘rule #4’ above, and just ordered my second MDD instead of the Len reboot coming out this year. It was a hard fought decision, but I am now at peace and excited to get her! I’m looking forward to searching until I find the perfect outfit, mod my first DD head, and create my own dream cutie (all at a much easier to justify price, lol). 

• Like 2

crimsoncat

The only theme I have for my dolls (resin and vinyl both) is that I prefer girls and SD/DD size. This is mostly so they can share clothing. I have two 1/4 size resins (Volks Renee and Luts Cherry Elf) and a few Azone pureneemos and I just find I don't play with them as much because I don't have fifty bajillion outfits. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3

snooze_button_cat.png

Xiongmao

My collection of Dollfies is absolutely random... I also have one SD because I loved her look. I am trying to be a little completist... I have Yayoi and Iori and at some point I'll get Marisa a Reimu.

The Pureneemos were getting out of control too but I've only (hopefully) acquired an additional one recently. I do like their anime licensed characters though, especially the ones with inset eyes. I have quite a few Ex Cute ones too.

• Like 2

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Phaio

I don't have much of a theme to my dolls, as I enjoy having a variety of different kinds in my collection. I love trying out dolls of varying sizes and makers and bringing them together.

I think the only theme might be that I prefer original character dolls over licensed characters. I only have one licensed character in my collection, MDD Maria Ushiromiya, and she is an exception due to being my favorite character from my favorite visual novel. Besides her, I find that I have trouble bonding with licensed characters, as creating a doll's character for me is a big part of how I bond with them.

• Like 3

Wasabi

I have two separate 'lines'; 1/3rd and 1/6th and I want to stay within those scales.
Mostly so that clothes can be shared etc. There are some really beautiful 1/4 dolls out there but I don't want to start another clothing collection.

I also intend to stick with vinyl in the future. I have one resin doll that I bought with the intent of shelling a character but... I realised I bought her, took her out of the box once, and she's been sitting boxed up at the back of a shelf for over a year now. Doesn't help that she is 1/4th as well.

• Like 1

HaneShiranui

My theme is fox girls and almost all my dolls are MDD. I always put fox ears and tails on them. I'm perfect to collect different head parts (such as DDH-01, DDH-10, DDH-22 and DDH-27).

However, my first doll is DD Sakura Amamiya. Because Sakura Amamiya is not my theme and DD model is too big for me, I sold it.

Edited by HaneShiranui
typo
  • Like 2

puxlavoix

Wouldn't say themes for I have a pretty regular DD family but reading the replies here I definitely have some preferences.

Can't be DDdy. I'm not about to buy special clothes for a specific girl/size. As much as I like to spoil my girls and get them some particular outfit they ask for, in the end can be mixed and matched and worn by whoever likes it be it DDII, DDIII, DDS, f3... you get the idea. There's been times when considering bringing some DD home till I realize she's a no-no due to her dynamite body. Of course this wouldn't apply to grails like Kanu and Ryomou who by the way almost adopted a few weeks ago but the seller wouldn't add shipping insurance (what the bleep :eek:??)

Can't be volks original characters. I believe its just me but seems like Volks sculpts their original girls to be of lesser beauty more like generic looking to purposefully add some wow and hype factor to the collaboration models (almost all my girls have been collabs but because i loved the sculpts/fullsets not for the characters themselves). But for whatever reason couldn't and can't for the life of me bond with them no matter what. It's happened to me since the very beginning and still does to this day;  I may see other's pics and love them and think to myself "hey you know? this time we could make it work!" - never did, never does. Akira being an exception. Really don't know why this is but its there.

No DDS. Yes I have Miki and Rin and probably will bring home some more down the line if I absolutely love their faces but as pretty as the dds proportions are I feel like getting ripped off by getting "less doll" for the same kind of money (waaaay more money in both cases. Damn you ebay!!!). Also they're sooo much shorter than current bodies its not even funny, they look more like kids than beautiful grown girls - original character age aside -:but still got the curves??  All to the point i had to get a regular height body for Miki back when I got her and she used it till I needed some funds so had to sell it and return her to her regular body. Same with Ren.
There been a couple pass in the past that were on dds bodies.

Lastly I won't bring any girl home that I don't absolutely 100% adore. Impulsive and irresponsible as I am when it comes to expenses, won't adopt anyone just for economic or practical reasons or just because. For me having the funds at hand doesn't mean buy whatever crosses my path just for the sake of having a bigger collection to "brag about". Bonding is a very real thing and I got to bond with all of my girls

Edited by puxlavoix
Fixed font size
  • Like 2

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

Hazukami

I only get/will get either anime or videogame characters I absolutely LOVE.
Must be in my top 10 of something. I adore Emilia as a chara, but she's not in the top 10 fav female charas
and I don't love the way her outfits looks I guess? (I do like her sculpt though) So if I don't like them enough I get scale figures or nendos.
I also have to love the face sculpt and how the clothes/outfit look. I'm overly picky due to the price and space they take up.
Initially I intended to own 4 TOTAL, but Utena and Anthy came out of left field for me and I never expected to find 9S for retail..
So it'll probably end up being 6-8.

Ironically enough I have 2 Square Enix and 2 anime/shoujo lol
Y'shtola, 9S, Utena and Anthy.

Rin Tohsaka IS in top 10 female charas but I don't love her sculpt and preferred a scale figure of her's.
If she had a v3 that looks like Arc or Ciel/newer Type Moon I would've gotten her, but doubt.

The only DDs that haven't been announced/made that I'd get would be from other SE games (Kingdom Hearts- Aqua, FFVII- Aerith, FFXIV- Alphinaud) or from top 10 anime and some of those top 10 feel kinda unlikely lol

Most likely would be Makise Kurisu? It has to be a character I feel would just look THAT MUCH MORE AMAZING as a doll than a scale figure.
I legitimately was thinking "Which characters that I like, have their design transferring well into doll format? Just stunning" my answer was Utena and Anthy after remembering Lady Oscar.. LO AND BEHOLD, 3 months later it happens lol

Edited by Hazukami
type & afterthought