Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Nakitaninja

Fake Dollfie Dreams?!

Shailara

Error-Chan The dolls, recasters don't bother with outfits, since it's not something they can easily and cheaply make, unlike recast dolls.

I wonder if they wrote it like that just to make it sound more serious and is not true. I've never heard of vinyl dolls getting recasted...

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Error-Chan
Error-Chan The dolls, recasters don't bother with outfits, since it's not something they can easily and cheaply make, unlike recast dolls.

I wonder if they wrote it like that just to make it sound more serious and is not true. I've never heard of vinyl dolls getting recasted...

it was that words "related accessory" that made me think its more then just dolls them selves.

1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Innocentsake

From that announcement in regards to Dollfie Dreams they are most likely talking about Volks Outfits that people have reproduced who are using official Volks product pictures to advertise them. I know there's a seller on Ebay who uses an official Volks picture for an outfit with photos of the one they've made, but they have so many copies that obviously it isn't the real Volks outfit. They have had people contact them about this as the statement says and thus they decided to make an official statement on the site over items not sold by them & their licensed stores. Never seen any fake DDs on Ebay or YJA, but in the case that it ever did happen this statement would cover that (same goes for props, eyes, etc). This basically just covers them and says that if you bought something that wasn't from their official stores that they can't help you if it's a fake/damaged/etc.

Edited by Guest

Shailara

By "related product" they could mean anything that Volks makes really, I'm betting they just wrote it like that to cover for everything, even if they haven't really found recasts/remakes of them. Like, what if there IS indeed some accessory out there and the customer went all "You wanred for the dolls but not the accessory!" ? So this way, they're playing it safe, in a sense. Of course I might just be entirelly wrong.

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Innocentsake
By "related product" they could mean anything that Volks makes really, I'm betting they just wrote it like that to cover for everything, even if they haven't really found recasts/remakes of them. Like, what if there IS indeed some accessory out there and the customer went all "You wanred for the dolls but not the accessory!" ? So this way, they're playing it safe, in a sense. Of course I might just be entirelly wrong.

This exactly

fudgecakes

I know there are recasts of super dollfies but I think dream dollfies would be difficult to replicate because what makes them special is mostly their face up and outfits right? ouo //hasnt been into dds too long but I can tell that a face up animestyle is much more complicated to get a clean look from.

What always made me kinda giggle is how people complain about resin companies costing so much while dds cost even more but people don't really complain as much about dds price. Which makes sense i guess since its fullset and the items are limited and awesome quality from what ive seen their outfits are made like.

Either way I don't think there would ever be a big competition for volk's dds.

Yukamina
I know there are recasts of super dollfies but I think dream dollfies would be difficult to replicate because what makes them special is mostly their face up and outfits right? ouo //hasnt been into dds too long but I can tell that a face up animestyle is much more complicated to get a clean look from.

DDs are difficult to replicate because they are made of vinyl with a complex plastic skeleton. For resin BJD, all the recasters have to do is make molds straight from the original doll, and then use those molds to cast more dolls. The pieces just fit together with elastic string, so it's very simple (relative to trying to replicate DD skeleton).

fudgecakes

True xD That makes DDs even better c: Though sometimes I wish the dds were made from resin XP

Jezrah
True xD That makes DDs even better c: Though sometimes I wish the dds were made from resin XP

I don't. I take my DDs on vacation and carry them around with me in crowded areas. If they were made of resin they'd be both heavier and more likely to break a finger when a strange drunk lady runs into me.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

fudgecakes

Hahahha xD I have yet to grasp the concept of how heavy sd resin dolls are because I don't own one yet but ill take note of that xD another reason to go dd ^^ ♥♥♥

Shailara

I totally disagree to that amg XDDDD While it is nice that they're light and all, I sooooo like the feel of the weight of resin in my hands ;;v;; It kind of feels like, they're "full" when I feel like snuggling with them? XD *totallydoesn'tlooklikeaweirdorightnow*

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

Yukamina

It's funny, on resin BJD communities like DoA, heaviness is a good trait in a doll. But here it's the opposite, people like that DDs are lighter...

RedLion

Talking about fakes and real ones amongst SDs reminds me of a time went the Sac BJD group broke up because half the members were found to have bought and supported bootlegs.

Hope that doesn't happen here, but then again, like you guys said. DDs aren't easy to recreate...for now.

fudgecakes

Shailara- Ive heard some people describe it like holding a child ^^

I don't mind whichever weight as long as they can stand ouo which makes me think a little weight is good too ouo

RedLion- i think everyone has different opinions on things but honestly I can't picture getting a dollfie from anywhere else but volks XP ahh idk why ouo I don't think its right to judge anyone though

shinegamix
Talking about fakes and real ones amongst SDs reminds me of a time went the Sac BJD group broke up because half the members were found to have bought and supported bootlegs.

Hope that doesn't happen here, but then again, like you guys said. DDs aren't easy to recreate...for now.

danny choo is well on his way to be creatoing one. he even is making the robotic option package

making my triumphant return

Gunter

I'm simply gonna drop my opinion in here, and call it a day.

First and foremost, I think that recasts, bootlegs, whatever you want to call them are simply disgusting. I value quality far too much to allow a fake in my collection, and my pride as a collector and hobbyist would not take in a fake. If I ever acquired one, I would DESTROY IT immediately. I stay on the side that if you don't have the ability to support the company by at least buying their legit products then maybe you shouldn't be in a hobby you clearly don't respect. I've destroyed a bootleg nendo I got once, and I wouldn't hesitate to repeat that same process to a doll. I don't take the bull excuses of "but they company doesn't make it in this color!" or "It is just so expensive." I'd rather not have anything to do with you if you think like that. Those are normal excuses made up by folks who buy recasts.

I fully believe that recasts of DD will happen. Volks has had issues with it with their SD line for so many years it isn't even funny, and companies like Soom, Iplehouse, Fairyland, and Unoa have all been scrambling to deal with this issue the best they can, but all they can really do is beg their customers not to buy fakes and actually support them, respect them.

I'm gonna stick with the logic that is used on all ABJD. Get the papers and the box. For some reason recasters don't bother with creating these two really simple items, and with that it is easy to prove the legitimacy of any doll. So, make sure you keep all your DD goodies cause you never know. I know I'll keep all of mine.

fudgecakes

danny choo's doll is awesome!! i hope i can get one someday ^^ mirai is sooo cute!!

Poofiemus

danny choo is well on his way to be creatoing one. he even is making the robotic option package

Danny Choo's upcoming doll isn't really so much a bootleg as a new competitor. Bootleg would be directly copying Volks' DDs, in a less expensive method; while Choo is aiming for a somewhat similar style, his head and bodies are original sculpts and seem to be shooting for as good as (or in the case of the Smart Doll robot body, potentially better than) DD. So I don't think his doll is *quite* the same thing.

On the other hand, the production of his doll is *extremely* well dobleepented, especially in comparison to Volks' fairly mysterious factory practices. I'm hoping that some PVC figure bootlegger doesn't use his behind-the-scenes as a springboard for *actual* vinyl doll bootlegging, whether DD, Azone, or even Choo's doll once she's released.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Jezrah
I totally disagree to that amg XDDDD While it is nice that they're light and all, I sooooo like the feel of the weight of resin in my hands ;;v;; It kind of feels like, they're "full" when I feel like snuggling with them? XD *totallydoesn'tlooklikeaweirdorightnow*

Lols yeah the weight is nice when cuddling, but when like I said you're carrying the weight on your shoulder or arm all day I prefer the light DDs.

But on topic, I don't think it'd be worth it to a recaster to try to figure out how to replicate a DD body and skeleton. My worry would be on heads only. A lot of us don't ask for the whole huge box or the papers for that matter when we are only buying the head. But if a recaster were to sell a DD head, it would probably have to be a limited without faceup, since blank standards are relatively easy to get and inexpensive anyway. Blank limiteds for sale are pretty rare to begin with, but I think we'd notice if a whole bunch of cheap blank limited heads started popping up, especially for sale by the same person. So I'm not super worried about those of us who care enough to support Volks. If that did happen, we'd report it, and hooooopefully others wouldn't support the thieves by buying fakes.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

fudgecakes

I think she just meant he will be competition ouo

fudgecakes

Jezrah I completely agree with you which is why I decided to go for a dollfie vs a resin doll fullsets are wayy more worth it and ur not paying $700 for a blank doll. And plus i like the limited availability of certain dolls which keeps its value over time c:

jadepixel

I thought this announcement might be related to bootleg Volks outfits, but there are still lots of them for sale at Alice's Collection. I don't think Volks can do much about China-based retailers.

Kumi

Casting PVC is much more complicated than casting resin, especially at home.

First, resin is casted at room's temperature, while PVC must be very hot - and in controlled temperature, because it will burn or degrade. And afair in hot oil, because PVC melting point is far above 100 deg. Celsius.

So You need metal molds, controlled hot oil bath, heat resistant pigments - this is way more complicated than casting from PU resin in RTV silicone form.

Of course, this is doable - but probably economically unattractive for any bootlegger. As well as fact, that limited heads have also limited eyes and faceups, and the bodies have quite complicated internal skeleton.

But if someone wants recasted resin doll - there are plenty, because the materials are cheap and the process is relatively simple.

Poofiemus
Casting PVC is much more complicated than casting resin, especially at home.

First, resin is casted at room's temperature, while PVC must be very hot - and in controlled temperature, because it will burn or degrade. And afair in hot oil, because PVC melting point is far above 100 deg. Celsius.

So You need metal molds, controlled hot oil bath, heat resistant pigments - this is way more complicated than casting from PU resin in RTV silicone form.

Of course, this is doable - but probably economically unattractive for any bootlegger. As well as fact, that limited heads have also limited eyes and faceups, and the bodies have quite complicated internal skeleton.

But if someone wants recasted resin doll - there are plenty, because the materials are cheap and the process is relatively simple.

Well, remember, there are plenty of bootleggers duplicating PVC anime figures, so I wouldn't rule it out completely. Then again, we don't know how many of those figure bootleggers are doing it through ghost shifts using the original molds and no quality control versus making their own molds, and the fact that Volks likes to at least do their casting in Japan should help cut down on the ghost shift possibility for DDs. But yes, compared to bootlegging resin, anyone bootlegging DDs would have to be pretty dang determined. Doesn't mean it's impossible, just more unlikely.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.