Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

OtakuDepot

What is your limit?

baldylox
So I learned my tastes are completely different from hers, and it'd be best to not to buy her any dolls she hasn't picked out.

Heh. The only ones I've bought for her were ones that SHE specifically pointed out that she would like to own. That way I know I'm not screwing up by getting her one she won't like. But even if I did get her a girl she wasn't into, guess what? I'd keep her.

Can you see that Billy? I have as many girls as you, but 90% are Mikus!

Now THAT would be crazy, awesome and just way cool! I would love to see a collection doing that! I'd never really thought about that until you mentioned it. I've got a ton of Vocaloid and Miku outfits but no Miku or Vocaloids to wear them. My girls just like to cosplay as those characters.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Daisy-chan

Well originally when I discovered DDs, I said I only needed just one, but then i fell in love with Liliru and you just can't have only one MDD. So two is my limit now.

...but then again it would be nice to have a more mature DD girl to dress in outfits that I can't put on cutie MDDs... so 3's the limit?

...Why do I feel like in a few years I'll end up like Billy?

baldylox
...Why do I feel like in a few years I'll end up like Billy?

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA! Now you see the deadly pull of the DD world! Once you buy one, you're doomed forever!

Billy

BeyondTime

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA! Now you see the deadly pull of the DD world! Once you buy one, you're doomed forever!

Billy

I'm actually a bit surprised you don't have an SD in that collection. They're quite stunning in person.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

baldylox
I'm actually a bit surprised you don't have an SD in that collection. They're quite stunning in person.

There are very few resins that I like and even less that I think I could own. One is a Jessica.... I find her extremely pretty. I can't think of any others tho.

I just prefer the anime stylings of the DDs personally. I think it all comes down to me moving into the DD world from collecting anime figures. I was used to that look and style and DDs are an extension of that. And you may notice that I only have one DD that even slightly resembles a resin style.... that's Alna. I've always liked her so I was happy I finally got one, even tho she has a pronounced nose compared to most DD girls. But she's right at that edge for me.

Rise and KOSMOS are NOT to my liking at all.... their faces are way too realistic IMO and remind me too much of resins. That's why I don't own either of those and probably never will. I've only seen one KOSMOS I liked and maybe two Rises, that's it.

So yeah, resin/realistic stylings on dolls aren't really to my liking so that's why I don't own any.

Billy

NeeP

I have a lot of resin dolls, and over the years, more of our local doll group have been bringing in Dollfie Dream girls, and I do find them pretty, but I kept holding out for a boy doll. Then Yukamina brought her Len to a meet, and I fell hard. I think it was two months later before I caved and made my first DD purchase late December last year. And I found that I love this light-weight cheerful boy doll.

Days later, I adopted Noah, then assembled Kenji, then Rinto, and as of this past Friday, both Kiri and Eiji arrived...

Anyhoo, I am out gonna go on a limb and say 12 vinyl kids is my current set limit. I have definite plans for three, and room for three accidentals.

I don’t need these guys to get out of control like my resin hoard. It’s too easy tho...

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

SakuraSylph
So yeah, resin/realistic stylings on dolls aren't really to my liking so that's why I don't own any.

Heh heh, that sounds like another Famous Last Words quote that I wonder if you'll look back on in a few years and be amused by, just like that limit of ten DDs turned out to be.

I'm already looking in the rearview mirror on this one myself, which is why I wonder. Those were my shoes too for the longest time: expecting to like only DDs due to a preference for the anime aesthetic. Going to the Volks shops every month reinforced that preference in terms of heads... but that experience also demonstrated repeatedly just how darn classy SD look in person in terms of materials and construction. I'd give them a chance if the right head were ever to be made, I thought to myself, even though I couldn't define at the time what that would look like...

Eventually I figured it out though. I found that I tend to prefer molds with smaller lips, which is the opposite of the exaggerated lips used on most SD molds and that's why the right heads took so long to run across. (Of course, they're limiteds that are non-FCSable thus hard to get - Volks is still Volks after all). But once I knew what to look for, then I wanted to adopt them when the chance arose.

Moral of the story: pay attention to Volks News long enough, and eventually you may find yourself wanting SDs too even if you think you're safe from them at first! Look out! It works in reverse for SD owners eventually wanting DDs, too, I've seen.

SakuraSylph

BeyondTime
[

There are very few resins that I like and even less that I think I could own. One is a Jessica.... I find her extremely pretty. I can't think of any others tho.

I've generally felt the same way, and I never gave them a second look. I have their Belldandy who is anime styled to a degree, but other than her the only Volks resin that turned my head was Ami Ayase. Belldandy is very close to her anime look, but she lacks the true anime eyes both in shape, and her iris is round.

The Volks vinyls have one really big plus which is the posability of the arms and the legs. There are some big limitations to a strung doll with the arms. I think the lighter weight of vinyls helps with leg poses as well. I can pose them on one leg and not worry too much about the weight dragging them over. With resins I feel like I have to give them a much surer footing.

What surprised me was more with the sheer volume of your collection that one hadn't snuck in the back door.

I'm not sure I have an upper limit because I am aiming to collect the entire iM@S series, and this has no end in sight.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

baldylox
Heh heh, that sounds like another Famous Last Words quote that I wonder if you'll look back on in a few years and be amused by, just like that limit of ten DDs turned out to be.

Altho I'd normally agree with you, I'm pretty firm on my non-resin wants. And it's not due to not seeing them often or not liking them. My GF has quite a few very nice ones and I still wouldn't want to own one. Also, all of the local doll meet people used to have resins and now they mostly own DDs. There's still a few resins that come to meets but they still don't do anything for me. So I seriously doubt I'll ever own one.

Which brings me to my next point on them...

The Volks vinyls have one really big plus which is the posability of the arms and the legs. There are some big limitations to a strung doll with the arms. I think the lighter weight of vinyls helps with leg poses as well. I can pose them on one leg and not worry too much about the weight dragging them over. With resins I feel like I have to give them a much surer footing.

The above says it all. There are WAY more negatives involved with resins *to me* than owning DD girls. With as much as I take them outdoors for photo shoots and meets, a resin would have died several times over due to falls, crashes, bumps, going swimming and numerous other "activities" that only a DD could have dealt with and not broken or cracked. Plus, I do LOTS of photo stories and posing with my girls so the lack of good posability with resins is a big turn off.

I owned ( and still own but do not use ) a DD1 body and I absolutely HATED how poorly it posed. I even had it restrung and it still didn't help. The joints also look awkward when sitting and kneeling.

So I stand by my "No Resins" policy for these reasons. I still enjoy seeing them and looking at them but I just don't want to OWN one.

What surprised me was more with the sheer volume of your collection that one hadn't snuck in the back door.

Heh, I can understand that! But please see above for why I don't have any and don't ever plan to.

Billy

Thespian

I actually own a resin and a half (her body hasn't come in yet lmao). DDs are definitely my preference in terms of aesthetics and posability, but they don't give me the same feeling as resins do. I found myself missing having at least one strung resin baby around.

I feel like the primary difference is my DDs feel "simple," like a slice of life anime sort of thing. Really lighthearted and fun, but mostly fluff and not a whole lot of depth. Meanwhile, resins give me more wiggle room to experiment with story structure and depth, even if I have to sacrifice some aesthetic and posability to achieve it.

I think I'll cap out at 4-ish resins, and maybe have 10 DDs max. That leaves me room for a couple of other close characters, some planned DDs, and if I come across a grail/unicorn or Volks decides they must release the Doll of the Century kind of thing. That said, I do go back and forth between the two based on my mood, so who really knows where I'll end up

Kiyomi DDS DDH-06 🧡 Miyuki DDS DDH-06 🧡 Shiori DDS Mariko Summer Festival 🧡 Kanade DDDy DDH-07 🧡 Honoka DD DDH-09

Any pronouns are fine

K-2

Altho I'd normally agree with you, I'm pretty firm on my non-resin wants. And it's not due to not seeing them often or not liking them...

I'm in 100% agreement with all Billy's reasons.

And I have a two martini limit.

Vinyls, not so much.

MVSig.jpg

Shailara
3. At least for a good few years. If I want another, I'll sell one I already own. Otherwise, nope. 3. I have to get resin babus too after all.

Well, I don't really have a limit anymore, but I still only have 3 full DDs (+1 head). I'm slowly finishing up my resin collection, so I hope to be bringing more DDs home

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)

galatia9
I actually own a resin and a half (her body hasn't come in yet lmao). DDs are definitely my preference in terms of aesthetics and posability, but they don't give me the same feeling as resins do. I found myself missing having at least one strung resin baby around.

I feel like the primary difference is my DDs feel "simple," like a slice of life anime sort of thing. Really lighthearted and fun, but mostly fluff and not a whole lot of depth. Meanwhile, resins give me more wiggle room to experiment with story structure and depth, even if I have to sacrifice some aesthetic and posability to achieve it.

I feel the same way. My resins (which I started purchasing in 2005) have been with me longer. Their characters are more in depth. They have detailed backstories and complex relationships. The DDs (who arrived late to the party in 2012) don't inspire me with backstories. They seem to live in the present, and haven't really acknowledged the family relationships that I assigned them. They seem more like classmates than family. Like students who will never graduate! I have even grouped them into little classes.

I prefer the anime esthetic in my resin BJDs, so they are not super realistic, but they still don't look "right" alongside the DDs. I don't think there will be a lot of crossover in the two groups. If I had started with DDs, things might have been different. I love anime boy characters, though, and my DD family just wouldn't seem right without some. I do love their light weight and super posability!

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

sinclair
So I gave up on the limit as I knew it's just a lie.

I'd like to present evidence to this statement, I just paid for another girl last night that I had no idea I would be getting when I wrote this statement. So that puts me at 6 with 3 more planned as she wasn't part of the pre-planned group.

As for the resin discussion, at this point I have not seen any that I have fallen for. If the right one comes around, perhaps, but I just love these "slice of life" DD girls so much. I think it is the simple anime look that I have enjoined so much. I honestly find most of the SD's and such shown in the Volks news off putting one way or another. Mostly in how the lips and around the eyes are done. I've seen DDs done the same way, and don't like them either. I have seen a resin head or two dine more DD style in the faceup and found them pleasant. But for me the DDs fit the bill. I would never have gotten into dolls if it hadn't been for DDs. And most of my DDs have a very lively personality, look at my viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15608Life with Yaya[/img] thread. But I will also be honest and say a couple are more just eye candy. That isn't to say they have no personality or I don't play with them, I just don't spend as much time with them as others. But I'm okay with that. Just like people, some are more needy than others. But what they all have in common is that I needed them (My wife rolls her eyes every time I say that, "But I need her." Hence how girl number 6 is coming to me.).

asianed

The only limit is what Volks makes for character dolls.......

I generally don't discriminate on type of dolls. I have a handful of resins (Belldandy, Chii, SQLab, and Yo-SDs), a few Azone character dolls, Smart Dolls, and DDs. DDs are what got me into the hobby, but if there's a doll that I like the aesthetic of or is a character I like (Rem!) then it doesn't really matter the type.

I will say that my resin dolls are far more "precious," as they're much more fragile. I have them both generally good on posing, but I wouldn't do anything near as extreme with them as I would with my vinyl dolls. With the weight, I don't think they'd hang from a chandellier well...

Monty

I'm also one of those ''unlucky'' people who likes too many different kinds of dolls, so I like both vinyl and resin and am collecting both. I think they both have their good and bad points which cancel eachother out. The main advantage resin has is the sheer variety on offer - I would absolutely LOVE vinyl fantasy parts like deer hooves, mermaid tails and centaur bodies (especially centaur bodies) but that just doesn't seem remotely likely. Resin companies also have more freedom to experiment with truly unique products since they're able to make smaller batches of things, whereas vinyl companies lack that same freedom - they need to make things in larger lots so its gotta be something they're confident will sell.

I have characters that I cannot imagine being anything other than resin, and characters I cannot imagine being anything other than DDs. And I do have to say that I'm really liking not having to care about staining with my resins.

I think the main thing thats making me hesitate on getting more of them is the weight - I currently only have smaller ones (my SDC renee is the biggest) and although there's plenty of bigger ones I'd love to own, it's something I can only really do once I have a more permanent residence and wont have to move/ship things around. I got to hold a Super Dollfie once and I swear she weighed as much as three DDs!

as for my limit...uh. I already bought way too many in the space of a year. In my case I was supposed to only get about two or three, since I have to ship them all back home eventually and that's gonna be a huge pain in the rear with shipping fees etc. So of course I ended up with 4 DDs, a 1/4 resin and a 1/6 resin. (and their new friend, the 1/12 resin Dearmine)

I'm not one of those people who 'needs' all my OCs in doll form, there's just a handful I'd like, and I'll continue to buy any character DD of a character I like enough. I estimate from here I'd get at least 10 more dolls (both vinyl and resin), but hopefully it takes me a few years to get there.

sinclair
With the weight, I don't think they'd hang from a chandellier well...

Pics or it didn't happen!

• Haha 1

baldylox
With the weight, I don't think they'd hang from a chandellier well...

Pics or it didn't happen!

Ask and ye shall receive!

Sakura started it all.

8351069431_e35d777cbb_z.jpgDSC_9601 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

8351063015_8e4f6f945b_z.jpgDSC_9602 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

Saber thought she was a piñata.

8351073261_f1def95ca4_z.jpgDSC_9603 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

8352144530_4f2a671a65_z.jpgDSC_9605 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

Kino then joined in.

8351948602_cd448ac186_z.jpgDSC_9606 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

The view from above.

8351951580_031f692d4a_z.jpgDSC_9607 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

The view from below.

8350890171_c75fb3da0e_z.jpgDSC_9608 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

8351957786_ccb1449568_z.jpgDSC_9609 by Billy Bennett, on Flickr

So there you go, proof that DD girls are just like little monkeys and love climbing all over everything.

Billy

• Haha 1

Gabriel

I'm at five now. Well... I'm at four and a floating head, but the fifth will have a body in due time. I started back in May of 2015, so I'll probably be at five DD girls after a two and a half years at this collecting hobby. That implies I'm on a trajectory of two dolls each year.

Will I continue that? I don't know. It will depend on interest and finances. Interest hasn't waned, but has changed a bit.

I am a little interested in DD Standard Karin. If money were no issue I could be tempted to pre-order the current Saber. I'm still a bit interested in getting a MOMO (at least her head and wig). I'm curious how DD Luka Megurine is going to turn out. But the only thing I'd really, really want would be a re-release of Saber Lily. Oh, and I'd definitely be in for a DD Minmay if one were done. So, there are more dolls I could be tempted to add. I'm just not sure if I will.

I definitely think I lean more towards having more stuff for my dolls rather than more dolls. I really can't see myself having many more. DDs take up a lot of space, and I'm already using more on them than I should. I definitely don't see myself going into the double digits, but who knows what uncontrolled Dollfie Dream obsession will bring?

asianed
I'm at five now. Well... I'm at four and a floating head, but the fifth will have a body in due time. I started back in May of 2015, so I'll probably be at five DD girls after a two and a half years at this collecting hobby. That implies I'm on a trajectory of two dolls each year.

Will I continue that? I don't know. It will depend on interest and finances. Interest hasn't waned, but has changed a bit.

I am a little interested in DD Standard Karin. If money were no issue I could be tempted to pre-order the current Saber. I'm still a bit interested in getting a MOMO (at least her head and wig). I'm curious how DD Luka Megurine is going to turn out. But the only thing I'd really, really want would be a re-release of Saber Lily. Oh, and I'd definitely be in for a DD Minmay if one were done. So, there are more dolls I could be tempted to add. I'm just not sure if I will.

I definitely think I lean more towards having more stuff for my dolls rather than more dolls. I really can't see myself having many more. DDs take up a lot of space, and I'm already using more on them than I should. I definitely don't see myself going into the double digits, but who knows what uncontrolled Dollfie Dream obsession will bring?

I started out at a pace of about 2 dolls per year. I managed to stick to that for the first 3 years (2009, 2010, 2011). Then I had a year where I didn't get any (gasp!). Then things started to go downhill... I started bringing home 3 a year. Then 4. And then this year, where I've brought home 6 (with 2 months left!)

I'm not balldylox though, where new dolls just seem to show up out of nowhere. XD

baldylox
I started out at a pace of about 2 dolls per year. I managed to stick to that for the first 3 years (2009, 2010, 2011). Then I had a year where I didn't get any (gasp!). Then things started to go downhill... I started bringing home 3 a year. Then 4. And then this year, where I've brought home 6 (with 2 months left!)

My pace started like yours, slow at first then it ramped up to crazy levels. Here's how mine has broken down so far:

2010 = 3

2011 = 8

2012 = 7

2013 = 8

2014 = 7

2015 = 4

2016 = 6

2017 = 16

Ok so maybe not THAT slow but dang, seeing the hard numbers, this year has been NUTS.

I'm not balldylox though, where new dolls just seem to show up out of nowhere. XD

Hey! I totally resemble that remark! I can't help it tho, it's a disease.

Billy

Poofiemus
I've seen too many posts about people's limit getting totally shattered to claim to have one in regards to number. XD I may however have a limit on adoption rate. I really want to have enough time between adoptions to get to know every girl who comes in, so I want a two or three month gap minimum between them, preferably more like six months. This is probably a good thing, since it also means my wallet will get a bigger breather.

I've. . . actually stuck with the slower adoption rate. Whaaaa!? It's been 7 years since I got Agatha, and I just got my 7th vinyl doll a few weeks ago. I did get a resin dragon a couple years ago, too, but that doesn't change the average too drastically, I don't think.

The words I AM eating? "Every girl who comes in". Not only do I have the aforementioned dragon, but my newest is a boy. I also recall that at the time of my first post, I didn't think I'd ever get any MDDs, but I do in fact have the Moe Bomb, Abby.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

sinclair

That is hilarious. Thanks for the pics Billy. The view from above was probably nicer than the view from below.

As for me, #6 should be here tomorrow. Now I need to pick her name, and wait until Christmas to have her. The deals one must make with one's spouse to feed this habit. But it's a small price to pay as long as I get to have her. Yaya will be none to thrilled.

Temishi

I thought I'd be alright with 2, but I quite literally just placed an order with the USA store for #3.

I bought Asakura Nemu because I like the character and I don't want to alter it in any way aside from changing her clothes if I can get her other outfits made/bought. I got my MDD for an OC and I enjoy playing with it but I really wanted a customizable DD because I'm finding more outfits I like in that size, so a few days short of a year here I am getting another DD for that (and to break in the new credit card. I figure I might as well get something I enjoy if I'm gonna pay it off for a while and I already bought a Nintendo Switch in cash. It was either a DD or a resin doll and I wasn't really feeling the waiting period, particularly since holidays are coming up.)

I digress; I want to say 5 at the most, but that all depends on whether or not I decide to turn more dolls into OCs. I'm a little worried it might get addicting. I'm hoping having two to work on will keep me in line because the money will be going to them instead of being saved up for a 4th.