Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

DD3 body comparisons and Yukino V1 vs V2

chinti
is it better to get DD2 body due to DD3 cracking issue?

Most, if not all, of the issues with cracking on the new DD3 bodies have been dealt with by Volks. But Cool Cats offers reinforcement parts for these bodies to add to the strength of the places that are prone to cracks. So the choice is really up to you on this.

The DDII is more sturdy overall in my opinion but the DD3 has better posing abilities and a slimmer look. DDII bodies are generally less expensive than the DD3's are on the aftermarket so if price is a concern, I'd go for a DDII.

I've got 11 DD girls now and only one of them is a DD3. One other is a DDS but she's the first version that came out and both her arm sockets cracked. I was able to repair those tho so she's doing fine now.

Billy

From the first page of this thread, the limitation of the posing ability is only the arm?

mitsuki

The legs of the DD3 also have more range of motion compared to DD2.

• Like 1

baldylox

Just bumping this one up again in case newer people haven't seen it and were wondering about body sizes and shapes.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Katiazza

I'm very new to DD's so I'm not too knowledgeable yet. I was wondering if I could use the shin parts from the DDIII on the DDII body? I bought my first Dollfie Dream just two days ago (Nia full set squeeee!) but one of her legs is yellowed. I could buy her a new body in the future but for now I can't afford a whole new one. Has anyone tried to use the new shin parts with the old bodies? Thanks!

*Yuzu* DDS Yaya

*Yuuko* DDIII Aozaki Aoko

*Sakura* DDII Uryuu Sakuno

baldylox

Personally I've never tried to use the DD3 shins on a DDII leg but looking at the pics above, I don't see why you couldn't, altho you *may* have to do some vinyl trimming around the backs of the knee areas if the plastic doesn't fit in there well enuff. Another thing to know about buying replacement DD3 shins is that the inner skeleton parts come inside of them so they will be a bit more expensive than normal DDII ones.

I see where Volks US doesn't even list the DDII versions and the International site says they will be restocked soon. Both places seem to have the DD3 versions tho, they just aren't cheap. If you don't mind paying a little more for the inner parts you won't be using I think you'll be ok.

Billy

Katiazza
Personally I've never tried to use the DD3 shins on a DDII leg but looking at the pics above, I don't see why you couldn't, altho you *may* have to do some vinyl trimming around the backs of the knee areas if the plastic doesn't fit in there well enuff. Another thing to know about buying replacement DD3 shins is that the inner skeleton parts come inside of them so they will be a bit more expensive than normal DDII ones.

I see where Volks US doesn't even list the DDII versions and the International site says they will be restocked soon. Both places seem to have the DD3 versions tho, they just aren't cheap. If you don't mind paying a little more for the inner parts you won't be using I think you'll be ok.

Billy

Thank you so much! I would try and purchase the DDII ones but I feel like they may never end up restocking them plus I need the white skin which may be a little more difficult to find. It won't be right away that I purchase them so I will keep a look out in the mean time.

From the pictures the only difference looked like the back of the knee but I wasn't sure. I may end up upgrading at some point down the road so I may end up using the shins eventually anyway.

*Yuzu* DDS Yaya

*Yuuko* DDIII Aozaki Aoko

*Sakura* DDII Uryuu Sakuno

ArthuriaPen

Thank you for this. If it wasn't for the comparison pictures, I wouldn't have known about the arm hole difference~

When I'm able to purchase my own DD Nero, I've considered on getting a DDII M bust to replace the DD3 L bust but it seems that I should stick to the DDIII M bust because of the arm holes. ;w;

WennieBJD

I wanted to say thanks for this! I'm getting a v1 Yukino, but I wasn't 100% sure about the differences. Also between the bodies, I'm actually super happy my girl will be on the DDII

No vinyl girls here yet, but DD Yukino is on layaway!!

amarilian

I prefer ver 2, but they are both cute.

These are the dolls you're looking for, no you cannot haz them they r mine:)

Lawrence Elsa

Quite a lot of improvements in such a relatively short time! they must have a good team of solid modeling engineers on their team!

scheli79

oh this is very nice to see , thank you very much for the comparisons

Ta-kun

Hello everyone!

Also, sorry for my poor english.

I tried to find some info but it seems to be a little bit hard.

A long time ago i bought my lovely Yukino (yes, first version) and now i want to upgrade she body to third version. What kind of parts i need and what parts i can save? Looks like the only way to buy "DD3 Base body". Can i keep first version of Yukino head?

Thanks for answers!

CeliathePikachu
Hello everyone!

Also, sorry for my poor english.

I tried to find some info but it seems to be a little bit hard.

A long time ago i bought my lovely Yukino (yes, first version) and now i want to upgrade she body to third version. What kind of parts i need and what parts i can save? Looks like the only way to buy "DD3 Base body". Can i keep first version of Yukino head?

Thanks for answers!

Yes, you can just switch out the body. The head is compatible with the new bodies. Make sure to get Normal skin which is the tone Yukino was released in

Currently at home: Autumn (DD2 DDH-01), Sakura (MDD3 DDH-08), Haku (Mio Akiyama), Mashiro (Mashiro Mito), Kaito (Vocaloid KAITO)

Mashiro Mito is my wife and I love her!

Eiko82

This was very useful. I'm considering buying a new DD3 body for my Rise. She has an old DD2 body and sometimes, I get the feeling that there might be something wrong with her body. It feels really stiff to pose amongst other things.

The DD3 looks and seems quite nice tho I'm a bit worried about this cracking you mentioned :-/

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

baldylox
This was very useful. I'm considering buying a new DD3 body for my Rise. She has an old DD2 body and sometimes, I get the feeling that there might be something wrong with her body. It feels really stiff to pose amongst other things.

Sometimes the older bodies ARE stiff but that's not usually an issue. I personally like the more solid DD2 bodies than the newer ones but that's just me.

The DD3 looks and seems quite nice tho I'm a bit worried about this cracking you mentioned :-/

The cracking issues have been taken care of now. They went thru several generations of internal frame parts that successively got stronger and better. It's a rare occurrence for them to break easily now but if it bugs you, you can easily buy metal reinforcement parts from Cool Cats.

Billy

cfx

Has Volks changed the DD3 bust parts since this comparison was made? I just got a bust from Volks Japan and it's in the proper box for the DD3 part, but it has the large arm holes like the DD2 bust as shown in Billy's pic:

7564859534_c203c86aaf_z.jpg

I don't know if I got the wrong part in the right box or if they have changed something. I've emailed them to see what they say but thought I'd ask if anyone else has a DD3 bust like this.

Sniiksnak
Has Volks changed the DD3 bust parts since this comparison was made? I just got a bust from Volks Japan and it's in the proper box for the DD3 part, but it has the large arm holes like the DD2 bust as shown in Billy's pic:

7564859534_c203c86aaf_z.jpg

I don't know if I got the wrong part in the right box or if they have changed something. I've emailed them to see what they say but thought I'd ask if anyone else has a DD3 bust like this.

I just bought a DD3 S bust and a new body with a DD3 M bust. They both have big holes like the bust on the left.

My Miku’s SS bust was the same way as well.

I wonder why they went back to the old method.

cfx

Thanks! Now I wonder what Volks will tell me lol.

I wonder why they went back to the old method.

I wonder too. Maybe it makes it easier to put the arms on since it's easier to see the internal frame. Generally I don't think they are concerned about this but since some outfits require you to take the arms off it could be.

toughstermcg

I wiggled the arm off my Snow Miku just now and it her bust looks like the one on the left, doesn't seem to have that inner circle bit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is it possible they only used that small-armhole design on some of the earliest DD3s? I feel like Billy himself would be the best person to ask, since he has a lot of DDs from a lot of different points in time, manufacturing-wise.

cfx
I wiggled the arm off my Snow Miku just now and it her bust looks like the one on the left, doesn't seem to have that inner circle bit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for checking!

Is it possible they only used that small-armhole design on some of the earliest DD3s? I feel like Billy himself would be the best person to ask, since he has a lot of DDs from a lot of different points in time, manufacturing-wise.

I have two busts, both of which came from a friend. The first is part of a doll he made for me, and that one has the small holes, so that together with the info here I made the assumption that's how they are; however, I don't know how old this bust is. The other one was in a package that I hadn't opened until now; it's an L Shapely bust and it too has the large holes, so it indeed appears they are all like that now.

I speculate the small holes were needed with the early version of the internal frame that had the thin sleeves for the shoulders and thus a smaller outside diameter. When Volks made that larger and changed to the current version with the flanges, those would more fill that area out, and having the large holes makes putting the arms on easier; perhaps it lets them go in further as well though I don't know.

Volks hasn't responded to my question but maybe they think I'm crazy.

And now I have to write them again--I also had the SB-SD-212 athletic shoes in this order, and they sent me a pack with two left shoes in it.

cfx

Quoting myself

[...] perhaps it lets them go in further as well though I don't know.

Since I have both bust types I did some comparisons, and the above statement is correct. With her arms by her side, with the newer bust with the larger holes, the arms go in further; that slit that is in the vinyl so the arms can move isn't visible in this case, while on the older bust with the small holes it is.

Otherwise, with the new one, after handling or posing it is possible to dislodge the bust to where there's a large gap somewhere but moving the arms a bit seems to correct itself, so there doesn't seem to be any disadvantage to the larger holes. This is all with the new internal frame; I don't have one of the old ones to try.

cfx

As a conclusion to my discussion about the change in busts above, Volks did eventually reply to my question and verified the change; they say they made it to make it easier to put the arms in (since you can see the internal frame with the larger holes I guess).

• Like 1

WhiteLotus

This was very helpful.

• Like 1

biff

Do we know if there's been any modifications of the frame for any of the DD3 releases? I heard some mention that some of the later dolls were less prone to breaking, though of course with the F3 being out now, I wonder if this matters as much anymore since most new dolls will be that frame instead.  

Thanks for this post btw :)