Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

RaveOfNightmares

Legos!

sinclair

LEGO trains, been collecting them for a while now, just buying new sets as they come out.  Got the most recent one on release day.

107704889_277106106892042_7030262815839462597_n

107840871_227800604861322_2982169094495321461_n

108061349_984932135271412_7617221374840484219_n

And of course my girls also play with LEGOs.

ACtC-3cuTXiG1mXAeF42BU4A0OvySW2hcyXp2DIOenCUwfeD3GBy1QA0e9xl3OpsN3e7bE3LZAb5UyVaWUFNFfxSmMrP_q-Lg7elcerJLNwUYI2TPnE-K7fWfaVV_zptQ0gCgsBFDNe2sOMEREgPDlqP1pw=w926-h695-no?authuser=0

• Like 3

BeyondTime
58 minutes ago, sinclair said:

LEGO trains, been collecting them for a while now, just buying new sets as they come out.  Got the most recent one on release day.

Ok, off topic.

a. It's good to see you back.

b. I'm going to be taking the Durango to Silverton Photographers Special steam train run in the fall of 2021. It's basically an all day trip through the San Juan National Forrest, but they stop at various points to let people off, back the train up, and then run it past at speed so people can take pictures of the train set against Fall in the Colorado Rockys.

Just had to say that, you're one of the few people I know who will appreciate it.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

sinclair
On 8/14/2020 at 4:18 PM, BeyondTime said:

Ok, off topic.

a. It's good to see you back.

b. I'm going to be taking the Durango to Silverton Photographers Special steam train run in the fall of 2021. It's basically an all day trip through the San Juan National Forrest, but they stop at various points to let people off, back the train up, and then run it past at speed so people can take pictures of the train set against Fall in the Colorado Rockys.

Just had to say that, you're one of the few people I know who will appreciate it.

A) Wouldn't say I'm really back back, more like passing through.  Feeling kinda burned out on a lot of things.

B) Be sure to take lots of photos and videos.  I have yet to go see this train myself, it's on the bucket list.  Have fun!

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, sinclair said:

Feeling kinda burned out on a lot of things.

Sorry to hear that, but drop in anytime, you’ll always be welcome here. 

2 hours ago, sinclair said:

B) Be sure to take lots of photos and videos.  I have yet to go see this train myself, it's on the bucket list.  Have fun!

Will do, it should be interesting. 

Seeing UP 4014 is high on my own bucket list. Sadly all of UPs heritage runs for this year were canceled due to Covid.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

finnleo
7 hours ago, sinclair said:

Feeling kinda burned out on a lot of things.

well thoughts, good wishes from here. burnouts are nothing to ignore .. signed, someone who had to quit doing something they really liked to because of it.

4 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

A bit veering off topic...

The restoration of that thing was something id best describe as a modern miracle, and I thought wouldnt happen in the end, untill the updates where they were making new cylinder castings for the project ... and finally getting almost a bit emotional last year when that video of it clearing its throat at the repair yard popped up, like an old dragon being annoyed enough to go, "Fine ... I'll roar."

And bringing it back to topic ... i wonder what the pick-a-brick price for this would be:

27569954731_70f0abd85d_b.jpgLego 1:38 Union Pacific Big Boy by Dennis Glaasker, on Flickr

27585045626_cc58983357_b.jpgLego Union Pacific Big Boy in 1:38 by Dennis Glaasker, on Flickr

• Like 3

BeyondTime
18 hours ago, finnleo said:

and finally getting almost a bit emotional last year when that video of it clearing its throat at the repair yard popped up, like an old dragon being annoyed enough to go, "Fine ... I'll roar."

I think I’ve seen that video, and yeah, it is pretty moving. 

Tasuke

been into LEGO since my folks bought me my first SPACE-themed sets when i was like six years old back around 1987.

they rapidly graduated me up to LEGO TECHNIC around 1988 or so,

and it helped greatly in stimulating an engineering-oriented mindset that serves me well to this day.

i belatedly discovered "LEGO WORLDS" for the SONY PS4 earlier in 2020, and rapidly came to adore the "Spooky Girl" Minifigure character.

one of these days, i'll grab the actual Minifigure of her, and add her to my 1/6 Anime family...

LEGO%20WORLDS%20%202.jpg

LEGO%20WORLDS%20%204.jpg

Also, i once attempted to render a transforming model of the titular Mecha from the 1989 TOHO film "GUNHED" out of LEGOs;

LEGOGUNHED-JOHN2.jpg

LEGOGUNHED-JOHN3.jpg

2104_zps18e08e7c.jpg

745_zpsd4bee2d6.jpg

Kotobukiya%201-35%20GUNHED%20UNIT%20507%

Edited by Tasuke
  • Like 2

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

finnleo
On 9/26/2020 at 4:52 PM, Tasuke said:

first SPACE-themed sets when i was like six years old back around 1987.

they rapidly graduated me up to LEGO TECHNIC around 1988 or so,

The original blue colored space series was fun ... I think I still have maybe half of the parts from the moon station set (or something of the sort), I also found it rather endearing how in the first lego movie they correctly had the bottom piece of the original space-guy's helmet cracked as they always ended up.

I also think I have most of the first lego technic set my grandparents from my mom's side bought me around that period, the first 4 in 1 pneumatic set which actually was funky as it used both pressure and suction to function.... Was sort of weird since we went to this very small rural general store to buy it, and I really didnt expect to find something like it there. Its one of the few things they baught me over the years, but still quite special, especially after growing up a bit and realizing it probably cost them a fair bit at the time. Unfortunately the pump broke which is a bit of a bummer, and soon after they changed the pneumatic system to pressure only.

• Like 1

Gabihime

I loved LEGO as a kid, but unfortunately I was raised by my grandparents who were super insanely traditional, and I wasn’t allowed to have any building toys, even though as a talented and gifted kid I loved building things, and I’m a career creative now, so you can imagined how I chafed at not having things like legos and lincoln logs.  I was allowed to have one 500 pc bucket, but that was it, no special kits or anything, even though I was desperately interest in space and also castle.  Once I was in high school and had my own spending money I bought several of the small kits they were selling at the time, but I legit had to hide them.

My husband Duriel was a lego fanatic as a kid.  He had the space monorail and the moon base, and a bunch of stuff he built himself (like a U. S. Enterprise, which he assembled and dissembled so many times that he could build it by heart super quick, like some special forces guy field stripping a rifle and reassembling it).

We both still love building toys, but space is always a premium in our place, given our collections.  At this point my hobbies run to customizing playline toys, and I have a great desire to build scale roomboxes for my girls.

I love buying legos for all the kids in the family though.

Edited by Gabihime

Tasuke

the first LEGO set my parents got me, the first of a good many to come. a $50.00 set at TOYS-R-US back in 1988...

1457779553_LEGOTECHNIC8855PROPPLANE10-1-2013.jpg.c890557bd098c8d8f0fe66c1492c75e1.jpg1530978411_LEGOTECHNIC8855PROPPLANE10-1-2014.jpg.8f59253e40eb0957af059aabb17a85a9.jpg2047461735_LEGOTECHNIC8855PROPPLANE10-1-201.jpg.94df96df94d5b7b2b0f5f3ada88a9349.jpg1207158212_LEGOTECHNIC8855PROPPLANE10-1-2016.jpg.6c9986eefe0c5c5e75f4406f6d148faa.jpg1691447229_LEGOTECHNIC8855PROPPLANE10-1-2012.jpg.4001da2d53bf7e59ae85cdc10ad1566e.jpg

• Like 2

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

finnleo
On 10/1/2020 at 6:55 PM, Tasuke said:

the first LEGO set my parents got me, the first of a good many to come. a $50.00 set at TOYS-R-US back in 1988...

1457779553_LEGOTECHNIC8855PROPPLANE10-1-2013.jpg.c890557bd098c8d8f0fe66c1492c75e1.jpg

Meant to reply sooner and commend on the festidiously preserved box, but things got a bit weird when I was rummaging around my own stash of lego manuals and folded boxes for image reply material ... but I guess thats what you get for having a toy series that has the ability to stalk you through your entire life, both good and bad... heh.

that and my 3D printer throwing a tantrum, since I had to get that involved too...

sinclair
On 9/24/2020 at 9:11 PM, BeyondTime said:

Seeing UP 4014 is high on my own bucket list. Sadly all of UPs heritage runs for this year were canceled due to Covid.

My brother, his 3 year old son, and I went and chased 4014 on her inaugural run from Cheyenne to Ogden.  When she spent a couple days in Evanston, Wy we happened upon her and were able to get close and personal.  It was awesome. 

IMG_4507.JPG.f3d2bd0bbce61b067166454068edd611.JPG

Then months later when she come thru our state on the system tour we went and chased her again.

P1100242.JPG.36a01871aa1484a26460d31f9882f281.JPG

P1100280.JPG.9e91f297661f8f1641d7193b33892a69.JPG

The Big Boy has always been my favorite locomotive for as long as I can remember.  So this was a dream come true, I was on cloud nine.

On 9/25/2020 at 2:10 AM, finnleo said:

And bringing it back to topic ... i wonder what the pick-a-brick price for this would be:

27569954731_70f0abd85d_b.jpgLego 1:38 Union Pacific Big Boy by Dennis Glaasker, on Flickr

27585045626_cc58983357_b.jpgLego Union Pacific Big Boy in 1:38 by Dennis Glaasker, on Flickr

If LEGO were to ever release this set, I would so be standing in line at the store to get it release day.  Probably buy several of them, couple to play with, one to display at work, one to display in my bedroom, one to display in my train room, and one to display with my other LEGO trains if that isn't in the train room or my bedroom.

Edited by sinclair
  • Like 1

BeyondTime
5 hours ago, sinclair said:

If LEGO were to ever release this set, I would so be standing in line at the store to get it release day.  Probably buy several of them, couple to play with, one to display at work, one to display in my bedroom, one to display in my train room, and one to display with my other LEGO trains if that isn't in the train room or my bedroom.

Make sure Miku never reads this, I’m not sure she’d like competition. 

Or tell her they are for her, that should do the trick  

finnleo
22 hours ago, sinclair said:

If LEGO were to ever release this set, I would so be standing in line at the store to get it release day.  Probably buy several of them,

Heh... if only there werent a little thing named cost in the middle of that ... at least for me. But yeah, it would be cool to have at least one lurking on the shelf... (starts wondering what it would take to make a moc out of the VR HR1 4-6-2 ....)

Also finally got my 3D printer to play ball..

50423763791_11989d2453_b.jpg3dprints003

Modeled and printed some missing and broken pieces to try and finish some of the kits I've been mulling over... picspam might ensue, though dunno do I want to do the full story to go with them.. shall see.

• Like 1

sinclair
On 10/4/2020 at 11:08 AM, BeyondTime said:

Make sure Miku never reads this, I’m not sure she’d like competition. 

Or tell her they are for her, that should do the trick  

Don't have to worry about Miku, it's Yaya that'll get jelly.

On 10/5/2020 at 9:48 AM, finnleo said:

Heh... if only there werent a little thing named cost in the middle of that ... at least for me. But yeah, it would be cool to have at least one lurking on the shelf... (starts wondering what it would take to make a moc out of the VR HR1 4-6-2 ....)

Also finally got my 3D printer to play ball..

50423763791_11989d2453_b.jpg3dprints003

Modeled and printed some missing and broken pieces to try and finish some of the kits I've been mulling over... picspam might ensue, though dunno do I want to do the full story to go with them.. shall see.

Oohh...  What program did you draw them up in?  I've got SolidWorks and wouldn't mind having LEGO compatible files to start some of my own designing with if you'd be willing to share.

Edited by sinclair
  • Like 1

finnleo
8 hours ago, sinclair said:

What program did you draw them up in?

autodesks 123design on a offline machine... cloud computing I do not like. Solidworks is a bit out of my paygrade.... heh

due to boring reasons, I cant offer to share the models here and now (short version: where I live, I believe you are allowed to make these for yourself, just not distribute them in any way or form without issues). -- I just have rediculously bad luck when it comes to situations where Im just even giving some room for chance or bending the rules.

What I can do here and now is share the general measurements I got to make the recipie:

basic "4x6 plate"

Height: 3.2mm

width: 31.8mm

length: 47.8mm

inverted Nub-grid: 8mm distance from center to center - the 3 x 5 grid centered on the plate

Outer diameter of inverted bottom nubs: 6.5mm

(inner diameter of inverted nubs should be around 5mm I had to use a smaller one for the printer to work, so you cant stick a offset brick into them)

side wall thickness: 1.5mm

depth from bottom edge to "inner ceiling" 2.1mm (nub height is 1.8mm has to clear that at least)

Becuase of filament printing these parts, I dont have the top nubs on these, also where they are going they dont need to have them. but those are 1.8mm height and ~4.9mm diameter, same 8mm grid pattern.

I hate to be a bit of a spoil sport, but I hope you do understand.

Meowjima

the only sets I have are the OVerwatch ones.  I've probably spent a lot more on the Minecraft sets for my nephew.  

One of the sets I still really want is the Simpsons House.

sinclair
On 10/11/2020 at 9:57 PM, finnleo said:

autodesks 123design on a offline machine... cloud computing I do not like. Solidworks is a bit out of my paygrade.... heh

due to boring reasons, I cant offer to share the models here and now (short version: where I live, I believe you are allowed to make these for yourself, just not distribute them in any way or form without issues). -- I just have rediculously bad luck when it comes to situations where Im just even giving some room for chance or bending the rules.

What I can do here and now is share the general measurements I got to make the recipie:

basic "4x6 plate"

Height: 3.2mm

width: 31.8mm

length: 47.8mm

inverted Nub-grid: 8mm distance from center to center - the 3 x 5 grid centered on the plate

Outer diameter of inverted bottom nubs: 6.5mm

(inner diameter of inverted nubs should be around 5mm I had to use a smaller one for the printer to work, so you cant stick a offset brick into them)

side wall thickness: 1.5mm

depth from bottom edge to "inner ceiling" 2.1mm (nub height is 1.8mm has to clear that at least)

Becuase of filament printing these parts, I dont have the top nubs on these, also where they are going they dont need to have them. but those are 1.8mm height and ~4.9mm diameter, same 8mm grid pattern.

I hate to be a bit of a spoil sport, but I hope you do understand.

You aren't being a spoil sport, I work in aerospace, so I completely understand export restrictions.  Thanks for the info.

As for cloud computing, I agree with you 100%, CAD does not belong in the cloud.  A PDM on a central server makes sense to pull and push saved files from, but program needs to be locally installed and running.  Okay, enough on my soap box...

I only have SW because the license my employer had allowed for a copy to be install on a home computer as well, which has been rather helpful for home projects.

Sewb

I really want to buy legoit sets to build with my boyfriend.

We have been building the pokemon mega construx and it really made us fall in love with block building again.

finnleo

Well, after my financial situation was upgraded from *ubar to sna*u, I decided it was time to unwind a bit, and browse the not so local quirky-marts lego selection ... I was torn between a few kits, mainly the Tumbler, and also the back to the future DeLorean... even eyed the Ghostbusters afterlife Ecto-1, but I would have to try and sand away the rust detailing since I wasnt too fond of that look.... instead I went for this:

52362627772_2b547836ee_b.jpg

things030

Apparently its about the size of the original MP1/4 optimus, but whats even a bit more funny is how its almost better looking in some places than the MP1, mostly due to the wheels and tires.... now just to see how to build it, just outright, have the nerdy chuunibyo that wouldnt mind dabbling in a dark box filled with anchient destructive powers ... or just have the three stooges (my MP1's, optimus, nemesis, and whatshisname) put it together... choises, choises ...

• Like 3

XOHimitsuOX
5 hours ago, finnleo said:

Well, after my financial situation was upgraded from *ubar to sna*u, I decided it was time to unwind a bit, and browse the not so local quirky-marts lego selection ... I was torn between a few kits, mainly the Tumbler, and also the back to the future DeLorean... even eyed the Ghostbusters afterlife Ecto-1, but I would have to try and sand away the rust detailing since I wasnt too fond of that look.... instead I went for this:

52362627772_2b547836ee_b.jpg

things030

Apparently its about the size of the original MP1/4 optimus, but whats even a bit more funny is how its almost better looking in some places than the MP1, mostly due to the wheels and tires.... now just to see how to build it, just outright, have the nerdy chuunibyo that wouldnt mind dabbling in a dark box filled with anchient destructive powers ... or just have the three stooges (my MP1's, optimus, nemesis, and whatshisname) put it together... choises, choises ...

I also have this, however i wasn't keen on the eyes as it looked too flat. So i made a modded version of the eyes 😛

20220917_233627.JPG

• Like 1

finnleo

So about a half a year later....

52913735749_30f451138b_o.jpg

things060

Originally I had meant for Megumin to put this together with suitable edgelord commentary, but she got the off-brand brick boat, and this stayed on a shelf waiting. So finally decided to experience a lego box as they intend to these days, bag by bag, etc...

It wasnt an unpleasant experience, although I have my fond memories of 80's and 90's lego kits where finding the places for the parts was more of a game of Where's Waldo.

52913580296_574d9fcaec_o.jpg

things056

In terms of aesthetics it seems to follow the motto of the original Masterpiece Optimus, that robot form first, truck second, and the truck form is sort of there (as with the MP-01's)

52913001447_51f38aef44_o.jpg

things057

That the thing transforms (Although with the aid of a big panel you need to remove or put back between the two forms) is a commendable feat, although it seems to have come with drawbacks.

In terms of size, the Lego prime is a bit bigger than the original bigger MP-01's

52913001452_2072d0a409_o.jpg

things058

52913001442_daa23ea1dd_o.jpg

things059

And when standing a full heads height taller:

52913735759_2d17c8a0cf_o.jpg

things061

52913964420_8305172830_o.jpg

things062

For it to transform they probably ditched the ability to bend the kneas, which limits posing a little, but its still an amusing novelty to have around.

As for a possible new build photo set project I did pick up something else a few months back:

52913735744_e964f978bb_o.jpg

things063

But this is hampered by seeing a video of Adam Savages sidekick adding a Light my bricks kit to one, and I am really tempted by it.

Also the collectors edition of the Hogwarts express is a thing on my radar, and the re-re-re-release of the X-wing ... but shall have to see about things.

• Like 2

finnleo

Well, I ended up opening the DeLorean box earlier than I expected, and overall I am quite pleased with the kit, even in basic form without lights.

52932995010_b6a8bd0d40_h.jpg

things065

52932758839_03f953adb9_h.jpg

things066

52932008622_f92b2596f2_h.jpg

things067

52932601356_147f0407db_h.jpg

things068

Its in the first movie guise here, but it comes with all the bits for all three main versions of it.

Still contemplating getting the light my bricks kit for it, but its still 130 euros or thereabouts... so might consider trying to figure something out myself with smd leds..

• Like 2

Scholar

Those are some awesome sets! I am a lego fan and probably picked it up from my older sibling who introduced me to legos. I have the Rivendell set but haven't started yet.

• Like 1

Xiongmao

I have a lot of Legos... I became very materialistic after covid, but like dolls, Lego retains its value pretty well. I'm currently dumping vast amounts of it on eBay.

When hobbies collide... (DDdy Towa, DD Kirika Towa Alma and UCS AT-AT).

spacer.png

• Like 3

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.