K-2

WE SUBMIT! WE SUBMIT!

SDHeader01.jpg

SDHeader02.jpg

SDHeader03.jpg

• Like 4

MVSig.jpg

Elagabalus

Posting a suggestion here instead of making a mess with a new thread- I was backreading this thread and saw this comment:

On 3/20/2019 at 2:35 PM, baldylox said:

Once things calm down here from the big move, Averis and I will go thru submission photos and add them to the banner on the main page.  The plan is to have 15 to 20 pics rotating there for about a month.  Then we will repeat the process again.  This way we'll give everyone a chance to have their dolls featured.

Is this still an option? It looks like this hasn't been implemented. Would it be possible for us to have a new thread for header submissions each month and then have new photos rotated in at the beginning of each month? I've noticed that a lot of the banners are quite old. 
I think it needs to be new thread each month to serve as a reminder to all the users, lol. I had to dig a bit to even find this one, and I personally tend to ignore old threads so as to not necro them. Something like a thread made in August titled "Now accepting submissions for banners to be displayed for September 20XX". It also may be easier on everyone to display images for longer than a month? Maybe take submissions and change them every 3 months? It could be a fun community activity!

It would also be wonderful if we could get the approximate dimensions needed for banners! I see 2000px wide listed, but how many pixels tall?

• Like 3

baldylox
11 hours ago, Bellatrix said:

I'd love to submit a couple of pictures as a site header. Is this thread still active? 

Please do!

I admit I've been busy and forgot about updating the headers but this reminded me!  Go ahead and add some pics here and we'll start doing a rotation of them!

Billy

• Like 2

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Tierparkzone

Oh, I'd love to submit a few as well.

In addition to the minimum 2000 pixel width, could we get the final aspect ratio as well?

While adhering to the aspect ratio should not be a requirement for submission, people with fundamental photoshop skills can check if their motif fits as intended, this way.

And if at least some people scale their submission beforehand, that should also make it easier for whomever is in charge of curating the slider.

Edit: Here's a couple for now.

0072661e70b1caae9bd8b84ee7c36fe1.jpg

de2faa1dc320b8ff6ddbbb2278db85f7.jpg

68124ad72e7674b54623b2598433da98.jpg

Edited by Tierparkzone
  • Like 3

Testament

Damn me and my vertical oriented photos...

ACtC-3f2XbDnCZGf2dsBam-lWSkkQNWF05kGUrMS

ACtC-3dph1aEDAmExTHs7w8yG4LKBQTslA0QkxYH

ACtC-3cVJFz0kIBn9PbrAQ8ZKIVmTdApy-a2aYvW

ACtC-3dyvu_2XkvC4zzl31cu-AKGw34E4LibBlcC

ACtC-3e_Dm9KxRNBnR0jgYFfK1COEMJrvfBL1irl

ACtC-3ciQUFnsnPcMBY6UfhH68tRoLu8C3yCQYJq

• Like 3

banner%2Bb%2Band%2Bm%2B1200%2Bpx%2Bcon%2

Anna-neko
moerunamida

I'd love to submit, but none of mine are really horizontal. I hope these three are okay!00tempp.jpg.9522dd2ef0c5c5d40ff679e7e5ffb088.jpg00temp.jpg.fca0b45df59ad06a700c8583d82c8272.jpg000temp.jpg.c18b6fbd30f5870fdc92b03dea888660.jpg

Edited by Deyja

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

BeyondTime
11 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

I also banner-ified a couple more of my photos.

Thanks, we definitely needed some SmartDoll representation in our Banner.

9 hours ago, Deyja said:

I'd love to submit, but none of mine are really horizontal.

Top one autocropped perfectly imo.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

BeyondTime
On 5/12/2021 at 6:22 PM, Tierparkzone said:

In addition to the minimum 2000 pixel width, could we get the final aspect ratio as well?

In my own experimentation I found that 2000 x 400 pixels seems to work perfectly.

If you have Photoshop, the content aware fill tool can be used to expand simple backgrounds out in a way that works well in banners. You can use that trick to turn portrait into landscape or resize a photo so it includes the elements you want when you cut the banner out. 

On 8/2/2020 at 4:12 PM, Elagabalus said:

Is this still an option? It looks like this hasn't been implemented. Would it be possible for us to have a new thread for header submissions each month and then have new photos rotated in at the beginning of each month?

We should try and keep this alive by asking for new submissions each month. I think maybe we should start a July submissions thread now, and that will give people plenty of time to make photos for next month.

We could also just update this thread’s title and bump it on a monthly basis with the same 30 day submission window. That would keep it all in one place. 

I’ll wait to hear what @baldylox thinks of that idea before we create or update anything. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

ChrisFhey

It is worth noting, though, that the aspect ratio does not work when visiting the forums on a tablet in portrait mode. (In my case, an iPad pro 11")

Case in point:

2021-05-31.jpeg

Tierparkzone
6 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

In my own experimentation I found that 2000 x 400 pixels seems to work perfectly.

Thank you!  Then my guess of 2000 x 450 wasn't that far off.

6 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

We should try and keep this alive by asking for new submissions each month. I think maybe we should start a July submissions thread now, and that will give people plenty of time to make photos for next month. I’ll wait to hear what @baldylox thinks of that idea before we create a thread. 

We could also just update this threads title and bump it on a monthly basis. That would keep it all in one place. 

I'd say, a regular bump to this thread is probably enough to remind everyone this is a thing. As people usually tend to post more than one image here, you can always go through the backlog in case new submissions don't roll in that fast.

Another Idea could be seasonal/event based submission threads. These would stay active over several years, but the images from there would only be used in the banner during that specific time of the year. And for the times, when no specific event is active, the slider would again feature images from this thread. However, this obviously depends on how much extra work this would require from you mods.

Then again, monthly submission threads could also feature a theme every once in a while.

In any case: If we get multiple threads for this, maybe make them a bit easier to find? Something like "Information Desk > Slider Submissions > [Thread]"?

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, ChrisFhey said:

Case in point:

Well… Rei can be a bit full of herself, so I expect she wouldn’t be bothered by this. 🤔

In all seriousness though, mobile devices can be an issue and Averis is probably the one who needs to weigh in on this. I’ve worked with web developers who have had to find solutions for mobile page resizing and it’s a pain. Sometimes you just have to drop the element when the page gets sized down to a mobile device. 

1 hour ago, Tierparkzone said:

Another Idea could be seasonal/event based submission threads.

Seasonal banners is a good idea, but we’d need to be careful about not becoming too euro-centric in our events. The idea is to keep the forum as welcoming as possible to collectors from all over. 

To some degree monthly submissions will likely trend towards a person’s local season, so July is going to feature summertime images, but then you have @Monty who is in the middle of winter right now so mileage will vary. 

To be certain, it probably makes a lot of sense to follow some of Volks release themes. They do Halloween and Christmas with themed clothing releases every year. Some folks here go all in on Halloween photos, so why not have spooky Banners in October. Only downside is my iM@S girls will demand that their vampire outfit be acquired. 

1 hour ago, Tierparkzone said:

However, this obviously depends on how much extra work this would require from you mods.

If people size the images for us, it takes 30 seconds to add them and even less if all we are doing is swapping in a new image for a user who is already in the rotation. 

• Haha 2

ChrisFhey
1 minute ago, BeyondTime said:

In all seriousness though, mobile devices can be an issue and Averis is probably the one who needs to weigh in on this. I’ve worked with web developers who have had to find solutions for mobile page resizing and it’s a pain. Sometimes you just have to drop the element when the page gets sized down to a mobile device.

I don’t know what software you’re running, and how much you can change, but if you have full access to the site’s css then media queries should be a good solution for this problem. 🙂

BeyondTime
2 minutes ago, ChrisFhey said:

I don’t know what software you’re running, and how much you can change, but if you have full access to the site’s css then media queries should be a good solution for this problem. 🙂

That’s why I said this is something Averis would need to weigh in on. I’m just a SysAdmin in the real world, whereas Averis is a real developer. 

Monty
5 hours ago, ChrisFhey said:

It is worth noting, though, that the aspect ratio does not work when visiting the forums on a tablet in portrait mode. (In my case, an iPad pro 11")

Case in point:

2021-05-31.jpeg

I mainly view this forum on my iPad, so this whole time I though that was intentional. It looks mysterious and vaguely artistic lol.

I would like to submit some of mine, I hope they’re formatted properly or close to properly.

AFBDB096-937-F-4-E94-9-D5-C-D6-B470-A388

B4-E66-E4-E-C02-B-45-A2-A823-F55-E71-C68

76-B246-CF-C09-B-48-F6-BEB3-1-D00-FC2093

74-E7911-C-4365-4-BF8-8-D13-C97-F98-E951

Maia

I love the last one luka and miku looks so cute.

BeyondTime
46 minutes ago, Monty said:

I mainly view this forum on my iPad, so this whole time I though that was intentional. It looks mysterious and vaguely artistic lol.

I view it on iPad 12.9, but generally in landscape. I never noticed the cutoff before, even on my old 11" iPad.

46 minutes ago, Monty said:

I would like to submit some of mine, I hope they’re formatted properly or close to properly.

I grabbed Rin because her head was centered nicely.  The slider app aligns the image automatically, so the more vertically centered the dolls face is the more likely they are to display well. For Mel to work, I think 2 - 3 cm needs to be trimmed off the bottom of the image so his face is centered.

I love the Luka and Miku shot a lot, but I think we'd end up with Luka's eyes and Miku's bangs.

Luka looks so gentle and delicate, and Miku looks like she's in love.

ChrisFhey
2 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I view it on iPad 12.9, but generally in landscape. I never noticed the cutoff before, even on my old 11" iPad.

Yeah, the difference is generally less apparent in landscape mode. I mainly noticed it myself since I almost always use my iPad in portrait mode.

BeyondTime

Please post your submissions for next month’s site headers. 

Ideally photos should be about 2000 x 400 pixels in dimension, or at a minimum your subject(s) should be vertically centered. It will work a lot better if you crop and resize the image yourself. Letting the forum’s automatic centering function choose the subject and resize the image for you will likely produce an undesired result. 

I’m reposting the original submission guidelines from Averis here:

• If you're interested submit your favorite/best on-top doll photos by replying to this thread and providing links (URLs) to the photos. You can submit more than one photo per post/submission, but try to keep it less than 10 at a time. If you want to submit more down the road you can, but try to spread it out some. IE don't submit a set of photos each week. 
  • Photos of single dolls or pairs (small groups) would be best. Something like pin-up style photos etc (doesn't have to be sexy). Story type photos probably won't work well. Nudity would probably be best avoided, but I think some fan-service could be okay. 
  • I'll be looking for images that are in landscape only as our slider is very wide. 
  • Images that are in the 2000 pixel wide range will work best. 
  • Try to submit photos that are clear (low noise).
     Along with your photo submissions please post how you would like credit if it would be different than your username.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

K-2

K&CHeader01.jpg

K&CHeader02.jpg

K&CHeader03.jpg

K&CHeader04.jpg

K&CHeader05.jpg

K&CHeader06.jpg

K&CHeader07.jpg

K&CHeader08.jpg

K&CHeader09.jpg

K&CHeader10.jpg

Credit: Kizuna & Chitose

Edited by K-2
  • Like 4

MVSig.jpg

Chiakisenpai

I'd like to submit a photo >< 

I tried to resize but I had a hard time, it's okay if it's unusable I just thought I'd try to contribute :)

IMG_4701.jpeg

• Like 3