Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Galvatim

Transformers

Galvatim

This is a thread to talk about Transformers, and how important they are to our electrical grid!

Well, OK, it's really for talking about those robots in disguise.

8152511514_4132b12275.jpg

052 by galvatim, on Flickr

Like Masterpiece Optimus and Lambor (Sideswipe)!

8152479965_d9885e93f0.jpg

066 by galvatim, on Flickr

Sideswipe in his Lamborghini Countach LP500S mode.

8152478557_521355fdda.jpg

069 by galvatim, on Flickr

Oh no! What has Sideswipe done?

8152477321_5b37a8cc9a.jpg

072 by galvatim, on Flickr

Optimus: "Darn it Sideswipe! We can't keep cloning this kids forever..."

7978367192_8b9c2da3e1.jpg

020 by galvatim, on Flickr

I'm not a much of a fan of the live action movies, but this Optimus figure is pretty cool...

So have at it! Let's see your Transformers, or hear your thoughts on the franchise!

scripple

Transformers are so important for our power grid. Without the ability to transform up to a very high voltage prior to long distance transmission the power losses caused by the voltage drop across the transmission wire would be too great and we'd have to have local power generating stations every couple of blocks!

mitsuki

Transformers aren't a franchise. They are real. They're just from another planet. I wish I still lived at home with my parents with all the Transformers. I do have some here though. I will have to take photos. I hope that is the Optimus you were looking for. Those are some great Transformers in your photos.

Galvatim
Transformers are so important for our power grid. Without the ability to transform up to a very high voltage prior to long distance transmission the power losses caused by the voltage drop across the transmission wire would be too great and we'd have to have local power generating stations every couple of blocks!

This is true! A power station every block... We'd have kids getting electrocuted all the time, instead of run over by alien robots disguised as cars!

Transformers aren't a franchise. They are real. They're just from another planet. I wish I still lived at home with my parents with all the Transformers. I do have some here though. I will have to take photos. I hope that is the Optimus you were looking for. Those are some great Transformers in your photos.

Did you grow up in Autobot city? Yes, do take photos of your Transformers! The Optimus in the photos with Sideswipe is the one I was looking for. He's pretty cool.

djgamer

I remember the good old days of Transformers. I used to have the original Optimus Prime action figure with the trailor and everything, until he was caught in a garage fire at my mom's. RIP old friend...

Proud captain of two lovely squires, Kimberly and Airana

Galvatim
I remember the good old days of Transformers. I used to have the original Optimus Prime action figure with the trailor and everything, until he was caught in a garage fire at my mom's. RIP old friend...

That's a shame that you lost your Optimus in a fire! The original Optimus Prime was a great toy.

8049275374_a1e3654e95.jpg

030 by galvatim, on Flickr

I don't have many of my original Transformers collection now, but I have a few of the reissues of Optimus, as well as a beat up vintage one.

I also had the Powermaster version as a kid. Super Optimus was always fun to play with!

5420293385_e41001dfb3.jpg

new pics 6-02-10 058 by galvatim, on Flickr

This is the Japanese reissue, Super Ginrai. This version actually has a diecast cab with transparent windows, amongst other improvements over the Hasbro release.

finnleo

I remember camping out infront of the tube on staruday mornings as a kid watching the original series.

Recall bugging me mum for many toys, like the original optimus, and especially drooling over fortress maximus and skorponok in bigger toystores, but only got a few minor characters. like ratchet, trailbreaker, and the small decepticon cars, but most of those have dissapeared with moving many times over the years.

Been meaning to rewatch the original animated series, eventhough I know its not going to fare too well, however I did survive rewatching Macross from the same era without much problems, but will have to see if I get around to getting the discs.

Since mom never baught me the toys I wanted as a kid, naturally I've had to make up for it in my adult years:

Autobots:

tf01_zpsfe4a2663.jpg

Optimus, Magnus, and Nemesis. (Got to catch 'em all)

(And Smokescreen that I got just for having the finnish driver name on the door)

Decepticons:

tf02_zps82ef804b.jpg

Megatron, and Starscream.

The masterpiece models are rather nice, except my optimus trio is of the original mold, where the truck form is a bit dinky, but the robot a bit closer to what was in the series (I think).

Megatron seems to be just a rescale of the original toy, I remember that a boy at my nanny's house had.

Sadly missed out on the soundwave, and lambo twosome MP's that came out just recently, but can only hope for a reprint.

Im a little divided over the new movies, personally I dont think their that bad as some people say, mind you Leboof, and the not so minor plot gaps between the movies does not help their case I guess, but what can you do?

baldylox

I also used to get up early on Saturdays just to watch the TF's on TV. I really loved that show and they quickly got my attention away from Star Wars as I started buying more of them than SW toys. I had every TF toy starting from Gen 1 up thru the series that the Seacon set was issued. I did not have some of the huge sets tho like Omega Supreme or Fortress Maximus. The biggest ones I had were Trypticon and Scorpinok.

As a kid, I used to put all of my TF's up on a shelf on display. I always thought it was super impressive and I even took a photo of them one time with a old Instant Poloroid Camera. Here is that photo:

8162726890_f788335249_z.jpg

tfs by balldylox, on Flickr

As you can see, I had a TON of them! You can also see one of those old school Zoids kits and a Rubiks Cube on the shelves. I was a TOTAL 80's kid. I would mow grass, do chores and sell off old toys at garage sales to make money to buy these. And all I'd ask for for Xmas and B-days was TF's. Ha ha!

Sadly, even tho I kept ALL of these intact and complete, I wound up selling them off in 2000 to help fund my wedding. Had I know I'd be getting divorced 2 years later, I wouldn't have sold them off. Now, all I have left are my absolute favorites:

8162702669_1357c3f17e_z.jpg

DSC06748 by balldylox, on Flickr

I kept all my Dinobots, Jetfire, the original Optimus Prime, Skylynx, Weapon Master Kup and a blue corvette who's name I can't recall. I'm glad I saved these guys because they really bring back some great memories from the past.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Amara77

Oh man do you know what I would have done to have had Arcee as a kid! My cousin is still mad at me for trying to make her out of his hot rod with pink nail polish...

I assure I have apologized profusely for many MANY years lmao

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

Ravendruid

8162702669_1357c3f17e_z.jpg

DSC06748 by balldylox, on Flickr

Are those MASK toys on the upper deck?

Good eyes, I'm sure they are! That used to be my favorite show, in 4th grade. I still can sing the theme song.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

JoltFiend

I had a bunch as a kid, but most of them got sold in garage sales. The only one I managed to keep was Jetfire, but I've lost all of the accessories.

I picked up two of the Masterpiece ones, Skywarp (which was also my very first G1 Transformer so getting the Masterpiece version was kind of my childhood all over again) and Convoy with the trailer.

11698830435_af9057797c_o.jpg

baldylox

Finnleo and Ravendruid, yes. Those are MASK toys. I used to collect them and got every vehicle and set made from series one and two. I never saw any of the third series in stores as a kid and after seing some of those Split Seconds vehicles, I decided not to collect them because they looked super goofy to me compared to series one and two.

I had a few MASK toys as a kid but never all the ones I wanted. I even have the HUGE playset "Boulder Hill" but it's in the closet due to it's size. I have nowhere to display it. But the other toys were easily found on eBay a few years back, I was amazed they were readily available and relatively cheap. I'll try and find a better pic of the whole collection for yall to see.

Billy

finnleo
But the other toys were easily found on eBay a few years back, I was amazed they were readily available and relatively cheap. I'll try and find a better pic of the whole collection for yall to see.

I guess Mask never really was "the" series for kids compared to transformers and isnt that famous today, so that could explain something about prices.

But back to topic, I was surprised just how similar the Jetfire toy is to the Supervalkyrie from Macross, since its the first time I actually see one. I remember it was a bit of a fax-imily in the series itself, but that looks apart from the nose like it could exchange parts and bits with my 1/48 Yamato VF1 Super Valkyrie.

scripple

But back to topic, I was surprised just how similar the Jetfire toy is to the Supervalkyrie from Macross, since its the first time I actually see one. I remember it was a bit of a fax-imily in the series itself, but that looks apart from the nose like it could exchange parts and bits with my 1/48 Yamato VF1 Super Valkyrie.

That's because Jetfire is a Macross Valkyrie. It's a repaint of the Takatoku VF-1S Valkyrie. Takatoku folded and Bandai acquired the molds. They made Jetfire for Hasbro. The early Jetfires actually came with a Macross kite symbol on a wing, but the later runs removed that because Hasbro didn't have the rights to Macross.

Bandai rereleased the Macross Valkyries around 10 years ago using the same mold. It's definitely a dated design compared to the newer Yamato ones but it's also definitely more durable.

finnleo

That's because Jetfire is a Macross Valkyrie.

I do know this, I remember wondering as a kid about what was Rick Hunters (since technically I was watching Robotech at the time) ride doing in the series.. heh

EDIT: but there was just something about the in series design that wasnt exactly the same, but I could be remembering wrong.. since its about 23-25 years ago since I last saw it.

but as you said with the historics with the toy molds, not surprising in the end, but still caught my eye.

Galvatim

That's because Jetfire is a Macross Valkyrie.

I do know this, I remember wondering as a kid about what was Rick Hunters (since technically I was watching Robotech at the time) ride doing in the series.. heh

EDIT: but there was just something about the in series design that wasnt exactly the same, but I could be remembering wrong.. since its about 23-25 years ago since I last saw it.

but as you said with the historics with the toy molds, not surprising in the end, but still caught my eye.

Jetfire actually wasn't in the TV series, it was Skyfire, a completely redesigned character. This design was also used in the original Marvel comics series, although they used the name Jetfire...

8168682982_d39c74bcc2.jpg

300px-G1Jetfire_MarvelTFU by galvatim, on Flickr

8168653727_be39a09c28.jpg

Jetfire Skyfire transformers www.blogtransformers.com by galvatim, on Flickr

8168682996_f8578ec936_o.jpg

280px-TUD2_Skyfire_catches_Autobots by galvatim, on Flickr

The cartoon had a wacky sense of scale, sometimes the whole Autobot team could fit in Jetfire, other times they could just ride on him like this...

5421348497_3f65893c01.jpg

new pics 6-04-10 127 by galvatim, on Flickr

Shockwave here was one of the other non-Takara toys Hasbro used to bolster the line. Omega Supreme and Skylynx were as well, although Takara-Tomy now owned that company (Hence the reissues).

As a kid, I used to put all of my TF's up on a shelf on display. I always thought it was super impressive and I even took a photo of them one time with a old Instant Poloroid Camera. Here is that photo:

8162726890_f788335249_z.jpg

tfs by balldylox, on Flickr

As you can see, I had a TON of them! You can also see one of those old school Zoids kits and a Rubiks Cube on the shelves. I was a TOTAL 80's kid. I would mow grass, do chores and sell off old toys at garage sales to make money to buy these. And all I'd ask for for Xmas and B-days was TF's. Ha ha!

That is quite a few of them! But is that a Gobot I spy in front of Devestator?

And that's a lot of complete combiner groups! I had Hot Spot, the blue fire truck, and two of his limbs, the ambulance and the motorcycle. Luckily, I had two of the Arielbot jets to help out when it came time to form Defensor!

Galvatim

Got the very cool Takara-Tomy Arms Micron Nemesis Prime recently.

8242269080_de7260110c.jpg

006 by galvatim, on Flickr

A nice black repaint of the TF:Prime Powerizers Optimus figure.

8242265886_0028492b5f.jpg

021 by galvatim, on Flickr

With Arms Micron Unicron and Darkness Megatron.

8241198515_a8a538bd24.jpg

009 by galvatim, on Flickr

Nemesis' sword turns into a swordfish. Optimus' sword doesn't turn into anything.

RaveOfNightmares

That's because Jetfire is a Macross Valkyrie. It's a repaint of the Takatoku VF-1S Valkyrie. Takatoku folded and Bandai acquired the molds. They made Jetfire for Hasbro. The early Jetfires actually came with a Macross kite symbol on a wing, but the later runs removed that because Hasbro didn't have the rights to Macross.

Bandai rereleased the Macross Valkyries around 10 years ago using the same mold. It's definitely a dated design compared to the newer Yamato ones but it's also definitely more durable.

That's an interesting bit of information there.

I've seen a Zeta Gundam model variant that looks slightly similar to that as well, I believe it was Zeta Gundam Plus A1. The majority of the similarity is in the leg/boosters.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

RaveOfNightmares
Got the very cool Takara-Tomy Arms Micron Nemesis Prime recently.

8242269080_de7260110c.jpg

006 by galvatim, on Flickr

A nice black repaint of the TF:Prime Powerizers Optimus figure.

8242265886_0028492b5f.jpg

021 by galvatim, on Flickr

With Arms Micron Unicron and Darkness Megatron.

8241198515_a8a538bd24.jpg

009 by galvatim, on Flickr

Nemesis' sword turns into a swordfish. Optimus' sword doesn't turn into anything.

Does that Unicron transform into planet-eater mode?

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

Galvatim
Does that Unicron transform into planet-eater mode?

No... He turns into a goofy looking spaceship/face volcano. He can even fudged into a head for Fortress Maximus. There's also a combined mode with Optimus or Megatron

http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/prime-arms-micron-decepticons-512/unicron-gaia-with-bog-6280/

The was a Unicron toy released about 10 years ago, as part of the Armada line, that turns into the planet-eater mode. There's also a Cybertron toy that turns into Unicron's heroic counterpart, Primus.

Galvatim

This seems like the prime thread to talk about Masterpiece Transformers... Or just share photos of them.

8152511514_4132b12275_c.jpg

8432478593_4a5f9ac5fa_c.jpg

15165740169_5694be388c_c.jpg

15930083276_c991c4ce94_c.jpg

Prowl seems excited to see Bumblebee...

15769837969_ffa3719e54_c.jpg

I'll have to take some photos of Tracks, Road Rage, Exhaust, Silverstreak and the Seekers at some point. I'm looking forward to most of the new releases, Hot Rod, Shockwave and Ratchet. I don't think Ironhide looks all that great, though.

Gabriel

I've been thinking about getting Masterpiece Sideswipe. I never had that Transformer back in the day, but I've always wanted one of the Lambos.

I'd prefer the G2 black deco Sideswipe, as that one looks so much cooler to me in car mode. But I hate the robot mode head sculpt on that one. Plus, I don't like it's weapons. So, if I ever get one, I'll probably get G1 red deco Sideswipe.

I'll probably also eventually get a Masterpiece Wheeljack. Wheeljack was my first Transformer back in the day, although I no longer have that figure. So there's some sentimentality there.

Edited by Guest

baldylox

As you've seen I got the MP Prowl and he's awesome! I really want to get that Soundwave MP that has the 5 cassettes with him.... I know he's expensive but he just looks so damn cool! Plus all those cassettes are amazing in their details and styling.

And I agree about wanting the new Hot Rod coming out, he looks great in the promo pics. I always liked his original toy, especially car mode. The new one looks even cooler.

Thanks for sharing all these pics! I love the Optimus, he is HUGE! Very cool collection you've shown us so far.

Billy

Galvatim

Sideswipe is pretty cool. I love the G2 version, but I also love the G2 comic. Hahaha, you could get the G2 Sideswipe and leave it in car mode, then get G1 for robot mode?

Wheeljack is cool. Not my favorite, but I'm still waiting for my childhood Autobot cars to happen. Hurry up on Jazz and Mirage, Takara! More importantly, where is MP Galvatron?

Soundwave is cool, although the cassette deck mode is boring. I skipped Soundblaster, since the only thing special about him was Ratbat. I did pick up all of the other cassettes, though. I had a heck of a time getting Optimus, at Toys R Us, so I bought the Japanese release of Soundwave.

I'm excited about Hot Rod, too. I have the previous Rodimus, and he works fine for Rodimus Prime, but towers over the other car bots as Hot Rod!

Haha! And that's the smaller Optimus... I have a few versions of the larger, MP-01 Optimus, too.

10840587484_63bf21c32a_c.jpg

Starscream is waiting for MP Galvatron to show up, already!