Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

aiRreyes

Photo Stealing

aiRreyes

Fellow people who enjoys taking pictures, what would you feel when your photo has been used and removed your watermarks/signatures and the worst is..someone photoshopped your photo?

Apparently, last night in a certain fb group I just told someone to tell that other person should not do that and they went all mad at me ranting and just keep on bashing me, to think that they are all older than me Flickr has this "no right click" features though there is the printscreen button.

You would be even concern if you know the person being stolen a photo right? People take internet for granted and thought its easy to get anything. I mean its not hard to put a credit to the photo while some just save the photo

I'm here to tell you guys to watch out for certain people who might take your photo. It's a simple "netiquette".

Edited: here are the following photos, someone might take this light but not me.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss88/konoka_konoe_23/daltweety_zps32d1424e.jpg

This photo being photoshopped, I did contacted the flickr user and a friend of mine helped me to look for anything that facebook could help out even though she doesn't have a facebook.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss88/konoka_konoe_23/dalrisa_zps1f962821.jpg

Cropped the watermark on the lower right

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss88/konoka_konoe_23/PullipWind_zps166ea50a.png

Well this image doesn't have watermarks at all, the person doesn't even know the owner of the photo.

Edited by Guest

6853819370_62b89ea6a5_t.jpg

Home: ~Soleil~ (DD Sendo Erika) ~Lilith~ (DDS Melty) ~Quinzel~ (DDH-07) ~Haruka~ (DD Mio)

Nekopon

Photo stealing is never allowed in my book.

No one should take credit for another's work and should ask for permission if to be used for any reason.

If this facebook group happened to be mine, please let me know.

Otherwise, if anyone sees this happening in my FB group, please let me know and I will take care of the situation right away. No one should have to get bashed at for something like this.

knibitz

Sadly, this runs rampant on the internet

I've spent so much energy going after people on facebook and tumblr it's EXHAUSTING.

and not only is there print screen - anyone with who knows general html can view page source and easily find the image in the page source.

T_T I once had one of my BJD photos overlayed with one of those tumblr "confessions" that was something about they know popular bjd people who have recasts.... and I was just like.... you've GOT to be kidding me.

and then all the group owner has to say to me is "WE PUT A DISCLAIMER THAT THE IMAGES DON'T REFLECT THE CONFESSION! WE JUST LIKE TO CHOOSE PRETTY PICTURES"

WTAF.........

Luckily, the was a while ago and since then most problem tumblrs know my name and know I will come after them relentlessly if they even think about using my photos.

But I still deal with facebooks of people who use my photos to be their roleplay characters =A=

Ara

My photos are usually cross-posted from my deviantart to Tumblr, but they always include the source and credits.

The only photo that went crazy online was me in my Engineer Cosplay, sadly one of the few pictures I forgot to add a watermark on (thinking "Aw, nobody will be interested in it anyway"...silly me ).

It also once appeared on reddit, got hundreds of comments and people even downvoted and complained about people that posted the correct source to my DevArt!

Oh, and this one photo of my cat that somehow landed on several japanese sites, tumblr etc., which has my watermark on it, but I should totally have made it bigger and more visible.

I also already found them on many of these blogs and facebook groups that just seem to collect pretty pictures, without stating whom the photos belong to. That's one of these blogs -> http://www.dramakoreaterbaru.com/aradolls/aradolls.html

Just type in your usual nickname and you will most likely find something.

I usually don't mind finding my photos elsewhere, as long as the photos are not edited or people claim it's their work (and their dolls).

But the attitude of some people is just absolutely disgusting, for many photography seems to be even less worth than drawn pictures.

And removing the signature is the biggest no-go.

For extra protection my photos have my "signature" in the EXIF files too, but these can sadly be erased too

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

baldylox

I agree that photos sholdn't be stolen/used/taken/borrowed at all unless the owner is asked. I've had a few people ask me very nicely if they could use a photo I took and everytime I've asked why, a good reason was given and I let them use the picture.

But if I found pics of mine used without my consent somewhere, I'd be all over that person. This already happened once to me and after quite a few emails back and forth along with MANY friends bombing the guy, my pics were taken down.

So I'd be pissed too if my stuff was messed with. You have every right to be irate.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

mitsuki

aiRreyes, I agree that it is not appropriate to take and reproduce an image or photo without the consent of the owner. Credit is expected to be given in all other forms of communication (news sites, journals, scientific conferences, museums), why would that not apply to photos online? I hope you are not feeling too bad that those people lashed out at you for pointing out what should be accepted as right.

Traveller

I went through this about 8 years ago when i had my own web site that displayed all model model building work.

A number of my pics along with a number of my model building friends found there work appearing in ebay and other web sites, saying this is what are professional model has done and is only used as an illustration for the kit which you will recieve

I pulled my site back in 2005 after a constant long battle and health failing me

This will explain why I don't display my girls much here and I don't post any of myfinished models on the net due to so many doggy recasts being out there, and i don't want my work connected

littlebearries

I also already found them on many of these blogs and facebook groups that just seem to collect pretty pictures, without stating whom the photos belong to. That's one of these blogs -> http://www.dramakoreaterbaru.com/aradolls/aradolls.html

Just type in your usual nickname and you will most likely find something.

Even creepier... type in your actual name 0_0

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

Ara

Even creepier... type in your actual name 0_0

Gladly doesn't work in my case, since there is only one place where my actual name appears on the web attached with photos...and these are the EXIF of my own photos (if you take one of my photos and look at the additional information there is my name and deviantart url + nickname in the copyright/photographer field ).

It's weird, but when I look up my nickname now it's full with ragdoll cats

Seems like only the first bunch of photos show up.

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

Nekopon

It's a losing battle on my end.

Try googling "Gothic Anime Girl"- sounds generic, right?

You'll see my artwork plastered all over the search results without my consent. There's not even a person I can contact about this.

DivinitaAria

I saw a picture of one of my dolls in a confession tumblr, but the picture was taken by someone else who ran the tumblr page.

Also, I'm curious to know if this is, well, acceptable? Posting a picture of, say, a doll I find pretty on flickr in a FB status with the link back to the original source and stating, "So and So's doll is really pretty." I hope that's not bad?

Rise- DD Rise | Mariska? - DD01 |Momo/Momoko - DD MOMO | Nayuki - DD Mikuru | Shiori???? - DD Kos Mos

Wishlist:MDD Louise, DD Rise, MDD Maria

hsinner324

Well obviously having your photos stolen never feels good but you just kind of have to take on a "**** happens" mentality. Best you can do is to contact the owners of the site and try to have them forcefully take it down for you (and they should since you start going into legal issues for this sort of stuff). Personally I wouldn't use watermarks either. Watermarks detract from the photo itself and as everybody already knows, people find ways to crop it out.

There are always going to be people who steal original content but it's not very fun if you keep all of your photos private out of paranoia that it's going to get reposted elsewhere. I believe that photos are something that should be shared, don't get too caught up in stolen content and just keep shooting.

wilsonh007

Ouch!!! i never thought of people would steal photo=/. now i feel like i really need to learn how to do signature into my photo =/

Averis

I've experienced this as early as the mid 90s when some of my art was being used on another site.

This might be a little bit too much to bother with, but if your work is being posted on a site and the owner won't take it down you can try to do a whois on his domain and find the host and contact them for copyright infringement and send in a takedown notice.

Sadly there is a US "law" that basically allows any host to post any photo they find online and it is the owners responsibility to find it and send in a takedown request, WHICH must include your personal contact information. I don't know about you, but I don't feel comfortable about giving personal information to thieves.

It's called the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act (OCILLA) which is part of Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) passed in 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Copyright_Infringement_Liability_Limitation_Act

The past decade of experience with the safe harbor provisions has shown them to be reasonably effective. Copyright holders have the incentive to monitor Internet sites for offending material, and to send ISPs notifications where appropriate, of material that should be taken down. ISPs have incentive to cooperate with copyright holders and terminate the accounts of repeat infringers on pain of forfeiting the safe harbor created by OCILLA.

As you can see from this quote it's basically expected that you, the owner, send in takedown notices to each offending site, providing your personal information, and stating that you do in fact own it. But also that they will only look for "repeat infringers". So your one notice might not even be enough.

You could also sign up for a DMCA badge which is supposed to protect the work on your site and give ONE free takedown a year, otherwise you have to pay them to do it. http://www.dmca.com

You can do it yourself if you use a takedown templete to fill and send in.

For example: http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2009/07/06/sample-dmca-take-down-letter/id=4501/

In the end you'll likely find it's just not worth the trouble, and I think that's kinda their goal.

I've pretty much concluded personally that you can't be afraid to post stuff on the internet. The benefits out way the negative. You'll find art thieves in any realm, online or offline. Just make sure you keep the high-res original and the pride in knowing that you created it and they (thieves) can't do the same themselves.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, this is a US law. Sending in a takedown request to a foreign host might have no effect.

knibitz

Luckily, with most sites that stolen photos pop up on: Tumblr, wehearit, facebook, deviantart, and flickr - they all have TOS statements that include that all posted material must be the posters original content, and they all have relatively easy reporting functions for taking care of these problems.

Tumblr is the best at this, shoot a quick email to support@tumblr.com and your image is gone within 24h, if not sooner (in my experience)

deviantart - hurry up and wait. they have an obscene backlog so expect to sit and wait at least a month, potentially 6+

Flickr is the biggest pain. They basically require you to jump through hoops of yahoo to report anything, luckily I've only found one piece of mine that was uploaded to flickr without my consent, so I never bothered pursuing it after I saw how much work it was going to take.

Facebook is relatively easy to report and get things taken down, every-time my work has been posted on Facebook without my consent, it's been by some person just mass uploading doll photos. I want to say the offending content, and usually the accounts, were gone within a week - but I honestly can't remember.

WeHeartIt is a site I haven't bothered with. I have no idea how to report anything on that site, but I imagine that they have a TOS statement similar to the others.

I've never bothered with websites selling my photos as wallpapers and cellphone covers :/ one was chinese(?) and the other had so much horrific malware it was trying to throw at my computer that I figured it wasn't worth my hard-drive to try and go after them.

jadepixel

This is good advice.

DMCA is the nuclear option - use it if contacting the offender hasn't worked or they are obviously using your work in bad faith. It's not worth getting too upset about because it's hard to stop IP theft on the internet, but when the thieves are selling or profiting from your work you definitely should take action.

You can have fun with it though. I had problems with international sites stealing my flash apps, so I set up the background images to call from a URL on my server. I could change that image file at any time to... whatever I felt was appropriate. Mwahahah >:D

archeotech

Guys I just saw this on figure.fm

http://www.figure.fm/en/post/45958/Stolen+Photo+Warning.html

Basically someone on deviant art is uploading whole photo shoots of other peoples DD pictures. I've reported them myself but I suggest you guys do the same, especially if you see your pictures. http://dksuperoh.deviantart.com/

They said that they've mailed Danny Choo about permission and if he says okay then they'll leave them up, otherwise they'll take them down. Urgh, people =_=;;

Ravendruid

Asking permission is always the right thing to do unless the person you KNOW is the original creator has explicitly stated that sharing is ok. I'd be ticked off about somebody claiming my photos as their own, even (or maybe even especially) if they'd manipulated them. On the other hand, I don't let fear of theft prevent me from posting. I don't use Reddit, so I never post there, but also never see anything of mine there, either. Mostly just Tumblr and Flickr, and, obviously here. If I actually made a living off of my photography, I would really be mad enough to go after anyone stealing my work, but as it is, it's just not worth it to me.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

crimsoncat
Also, I'm curious to know if this is, well, acceptable? Posting a picture of, say, a doll I find pretty on flickr in a FB status with the link back to the original source and stating, "So and So's doll is really pretty." I hope that's not bad?

The key words you just said were "link back to the original source" and the fact that you gave credit to the owner/creator. While there may be a few people who disagree, I personally would be honored if people used my pictures to talk about how pretty my girl is if they link back and credit me. This is more true on facebook or a forum where no money is made from the images and it's all just peaceful discussion. I also feel the same about people saying "I like X thing about [insert owner's name here] doll. Where do I find X?". For things like newspapers, books and professional publications, I'd prefer if I was asked for permission first. I would probably say yes just because I'd be flattered.

Now, if no credit is given, or worse, people are all like "Look at this doll I MADE and look at the photos I TOOK", then I'd be on the war path. This is THE MOST true is someone makes money off my dolls without my permission. That's just rude! However....

I've never bothered with websites selling my photos as wallpapers and cellphone covers :/ one was chinese(?) and the other had so much horrific malware it was trying to throw at my computer that I figured it wasn't worth my hard-drive to try and go after them.

...I agree with knibitz. There's not much you can do in a situation like that.

Here's another figma.fm post about this kind of problem: http://www.figure.fm/en/post/15931/Beware+your+dollfie+pic+got+stolen+for+commercial+use.html

snooze_button_cat.png

Wayfinder

I encourage redistribution and remixing of my work with attribution - most or all of my Flickr uploads are explicitly licensed under CC BY-NC, unobtrusively watermarked and stamped down to the metadata where possible. If someone casually reposts the work somewhere else without modifying it, the watermark is mostly enough to satisfy my lax attribution requirement. If they're big enough I might contact them to request a link in the post or whatever.

Of course, if someone wanted to "steal" my photos by claiming authorship then all they'd need to do would be to crop off the watermark and scrub the metadata. This is one of the risks I run by putting my photos on the Internet, unfortunately. If I did discover someone had done this out of convenient ignorance or otherwise and I was sufficiently pissed off to do anything (would require bad faith on their part), then my response would be:

• Contact the person directly if possible or the next level of hosting politely requesting correction of attribution or removal, per license requirements. Emphasise how easy it would be for them to comply and give clear instructions on how to do so. Make it as easy as possible for them to do the right thing. Give a generous 10 business days for compliance.
  • One polite (and public) followup halfway through the grace period if possible politely informing the poster that the clock is ticking and non-compliance will oblige me to use DCMA or local equivalent.
  • DMCA takedown or local equivalent to the host. Make non-compliance as politely painful for the host as I can. Once the DMCA process is understood then it can pretty much be re-issued at will with little effort (one of the reasons it's often abused).

After that, my options are pretty much exhausted. If the photo was being ripped off for commercial use in violation of the NC part of the license, I might distantly consider legal action but such a thing would be of extremely limited value considering most rip-offers wouldn't have enough in the way of assets to cover the cost and effort of action and damages would be hard to show considering I'm not a professional photographer. (And if they're in China? Forget any of the above.)