Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Averis

What Anime are you watching?

Tenukihandcrafts

We binge watched The Way of the Househusband. It was a wacky good time. 

finnleo

The current season selection seems a bit vanilla in flavor, but there are at least some highlights...

Bakatrina S2 ... need I say more? I was a bit wondering where they would take this after S1, and but we do get more clueless, moar amusement.

Maid Dragon S ... Moar full lenght shinenigans which the world hanging in the balance... why not.

Slime S2 ... With Kumoko going on hiatus, I decided to catch up with this one, and I still do prefer the spider one over this, but also this is also showing some peculiar series sides to it.

Peach boy riverside ... another year, another momotaro ... but hey, at least we get shiny leggins ... and a blonde short bob... just like Cross Ange.

Girlfrend, Girlfrend ... well.. debauchery is probably the best description for this ... somehow manages to be amusing, though once all four girls are in play will have to see.

White sand aquatope ... PA Works delivers the eyecandy this season, with some Yuri undertones ... and we all love our yuri...

Jahy wont be defeated ... I was expecting a bit more out of Silver link to be honest.. but shall see if the failed demon lord thing can get up to gear.

Tsukimichi ... as if there wasnt enough isekai in the diet already, but probably something to get you over a konosuba withdrawal...

Quite a few things in the rewatch pile, including Im@s - Cinderella girls, and Konosuba that I can remember off the bat ... also completed the Tetsuo Sato trilogy which resulted in a four-six page essay which will never see the light of day, although probably should watch Rinne no lagrange also now that I think of it, though that doesent count as they stay on earth ...

chef_mai

I've been watching Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (A Place Further Than the Universe) and recently finished watching the third season of Gochiusa (Is the order a rabbit?). I've thoroughly enjoyed watching these two and hope that Gochiusa gets a fourth season.

I've never actually been into anime all along, but this hobby has gotten me interested in watching a little (and comparing it to the manga).

BeyondTime
17 minutes ago, chef_mai said:

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho

That one is really good. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

foo

dressup.jpg

I feel attacked.

It's from the start of the first episode "My Dress-Up Darling" :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Tasuke

strongly recommended as one of those all-too-rare series that brims with genuine charm and humor, not to mention stellar production values;

81UtTr-WfFL._SL1280_.jpg?width=1920&heig

81YZh9IOD6L._SL1280_.jpg?width=1920&heig

Edited by Tasuke

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

chef_mai
On 1/11/2022 at 8:46 PM, foo said:

dressup.jpg

I feel attacked.

I've been reading the manga for this, and aside from the gratuitous fanservice, it's been a surprisingly interesting and informative read and shows much overlap between dolls and cosplay. It'll be interesting to see how the anime adapts the more introspective parts.

Edit: 7 episodes in, it's been one disappointment after another.

Edited by chef_mai

Silent

Japaneese animated feature films on netflix. (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and many other not only from Miyazaki in my list to watch)

ragnamuffin

Started watching Cromartie High School last night and oh Lordy! I haven’t laughed this hard since Prison School.

finnleo

hmm.. well, been awhile but I suppose could take a stab at this once again ...

First I suppose some of the highlights that have come and gone since the last update, most likely funi additions to the crunchy lineup, because reasons ...

All in Defence - Bofuri - As far as SAO / Hack//Sign wannabe's go, this is one of the more lighthearted ones with a fairly fun take on the overpowered heroine, with a sort of amusing twist with the dark lord look shielder. Quite fun if you are just out for some amusement.

Akebi's sailor uniform - This is pretty much a yuri'esqe slice of life thing, with oddly enough Kana Hanazawa in a motherly role for a change. Goes about the general theme of being slightly unique bringing about special encounters or the like, but unfortunately we all know how that goes in reality ... still worth the eyecandy I guess...

Land of Leadle - Another SAO / Hack//sign variant, although this isnt as recomended as say bofuri was... its main attraction is that its pretty much flat in terms of story, and doesent quite take advantage of the overpowered heroine within. Only watch if there isnt anything else on the table.

Mushoku Tensei / Jobless reincarnation - The whole otherworld series thing is getting a bit out of hand on occasion, but once in awhile you do stuble across something that just makes you go -- Wow . And this is one of those series. There are some squirmy twists in the plot in terms of ... lets just say inapropreate content, but still comes recommended, Tomokazu Sugita as the voice in the head of the Hero is worth it at the very least.

Princess Connect -  Well, this one is pretty much burger stand entertainment, overpowered goofy fun. 'nuff said.

Dress up Darling - This one caused a bit of a splash I suppose ... like it or hate it, its still quality animation that definately had used some questionable reference materials for its sequences -- ahem -- but still at the end of the day it was predicatable, even to the twist with the little sister character, and somewath of a pathetic male fantasy (this term used to be a thing at least), but I still dont mind, as it was still a solid effort ... did I also mention it was the sister production to Akebi's uniform?

Ordinary guy Knockout reincarnation - The whole TSF thing was bound to get another anime at some point besides Ranma½, or that was at least what I thought would happen sooner or later, and this effort was quite lighthearted on a somewath peculiar subject. Shinenigans a plenty, and as thus worth a watch, despite having a sharktooth hero/heroine...

Muv-Luv Alternative -- I was sort of curious for the origin story of this thing, afterall Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken were in my opinion quality efforts in term of story ... but the thing was, those two had people involved who knew how to write .. the áge original ... not so much, and now I see why it had taken so long for the first piece to get an animation version ... I can only really recommend this for completionists, as the whole world-warp thing took away so much from the overall thing ... and it just doesent have redeeming qualities to make up for it -- well maybe Meya and Mitsuki.

Takt op Destiny - You might think that being a promotion for a mobile role playing game would be detrimental to any given thing, but this one does make up for it in terms of a slightly peculiar take on the whole battles with magical girl sidekicks theme, by basing them on classical symphonies. Also the relatively early use of Moonlight Sonata as a battle theme does give a bit of a taste of things to come --- and of course Wagners Valkyries had to be a tsundere...

Finest assassin reincarnated - The themes of isekai series seem neverending and this time a old geezer of a gunman gets another shot at otherworldly life... but a rather solid effort, with some squirmy bits included as warning, waiting to see if there will be a second season of this.

Fena Pirate Princess - Now this one is amusing in the sense that you can pretty much imagine from the start that a bunch of american producers walked into the offices of Production IG saying that they want a japanese animation that mixes Pirates of the carribean, DaVinci code, National Treasure, and a generic samurai flick and the like into a fantasy setting... Is that a bad thing by itself? ... maybe, maybe not. worth a watch I guess.

Wandering Witch - A fairly solid fantasy setting young girl on adventure series, but does come with a slight dark side to it, wich starts out as a mild taste at first but gets stronger as it progresses. one plot twist especially might be a bit much for the more sensitive folk.

Super Cub - If you want to experience a slightly cringe worthy product placement series, then you dont have to go further than this ... but on the other hand there is some delight to be had when a seemingly clueless girl starts to learn mechanical stuff, even if the bare basics of upkeep of a scooter. on the production side of things, using vivaldis seasons is a nice touch, and the animation has a fun quirk of being washed out in general, but when the lead character experiences something positive the colors are brought in with force as an extra measure. ... but those cringey line's might be a bit much for some.

And for the more ongoing stuff...

A Couple of Cuckoos - This one is a bit like Girlfriend, Girlfriend from a few seasons back, but its taken with a slightly more serious take with whole baby-swap thing as a kick off. slice of life comedy at its finest I suppose.

Dont hurt me my healer - this is a weird one ... cringe is the name of the game, and as such its an aquired taste ... but Carla is Carla... and now I want a blue eyed tan dark elf in my doll collection.

Heroines run the show - So you were craving for some happy-happy Fruits basket type life comedy stuff in your life? ... Well maybe that was a bit of a stretch, but you cant blame the comparison when a seemingly country hick girl tries to make heads or tails out of a pair of school idols she winds up looking after to a degree ... been entertaining at least so far.

Bookworm reincarnated - This is a series that I sort of watch, without really knowing how to describe any redeeming qualities for it ... fantasy setting is what it is, but still oddly fascinating.

Deaimon - traditional japanese sweets informercial -- pretty much a straight laced slice of lifer ... if it werent for that silly chestnut headpiece.

Best picks of this season:

Skeleton knight - This takes the whole overpowered hero thing to the next level, and the whole bulldozer approach with zeal. Highly entertaining with a suitable opening theme to boot.

Overly Cautious hero - Ever wondered what it would be like, if Aqua from konosuba had to deal with the Goblin Slayer? ... well look no further. Bonus points for using the voices of Yunyun, and Goblin slayer for this where overkill is the best kind of kill. Absolute hilarity ... with the obligatory serious twist at the end, but eh... whatchagonnado...

And finally

Spy x Family - Now its quite obivous that the gang who thought up this one had seen the movie remake of The Man from UNCLE ... and as I did like that movie I do like this animation series of a neo-family of a spy, an assasin, and a kid esper with a slighly hyperactive imagination... Yor seems to have taken the fanart side of things this season, so I wouldnt be surprised if a custom DD or two were to pop up at some point.

I guess thats enough for now ... I suppose...

Pawjamas

All-time favorite: Urusei Yatsura

Currently watching: Spy x Family, Nekopara, Inuyasha, Maison Ikkoku

Notable mentions: Trigun, Space Dandy, Osomatsusan, Panty and Stocking, One Punch Man (season 1, didn't even finish season 2 because I don't like it)

ragnamuffin
On 1/13/2022 at 6:58 AM, chef_mai said:

Edit: 7 episodes in, it's been one disappointment after another.

Is the manga very different? I watched the anime a few weeks ago and was underwhelmed by the end.

I thought it had an interesting premise but the only reason it worked at all was because Marin is basically the ultimate cool girl that every guy wants to date, with a perverted/nerdy side every guy secretly hopes for (but would be disgusted with if she wasn’t as attractive as she is). Viewed through this lens, the show lost most of its charm for me 😕

chef_mai
8 hours ago, ragnamuffin said:

Is the manga very different? I watched the anime a few weeks ago and was underwhelmed by the end.

I thought it had an interesting premise but the only reason it worked at all was because Marin is basically the ultimate cool girl that every guy wants to date, with a perverted/nerdy side every guy secretly hopes for (but would be disgusted with if she wasn’t as attractive as she is). Viewed through this lens, the show lost most of its charm for me 😕

The manga's done better, but it's not fundamentally different in concept. Some of the later arcs are quite nice, but some are just so-so. I still follow it in hopes that the pack will pick up again, but it's been slow.

Lately, I've been watching various series that have been represented in Azone's catalog. Not all of them click, but it's nice to know the backstories behind all the characters that get turned into dolls by Azone. They seem to really like those CGDCT series, and it makes sense since those characters lend themselves really nicely to Azone's style.

Yumeiro

It's been soo long since I watched any anime...
Cowboy Bebop came on netflix, so I've finally gotten that one off my list. I can see why people recommend it, but also... it felt a bit over-hyped.

My all-time favorites/what I'd recommend:
Sailor Moon (still haven't gotten to finish it! But I'm just over halfway there)
Gintama - just, watch it!
Naruto (if you ignore the fillers)
and I think Attack on Titan was an incredible watch (I've just seen season 1, and skim-read the rest).
Also, Danganronpa 3, as it was very satisfactory in concluding the two games.

I have many that I don't care for as well. But what mainly comes to mind is Kiba. The first episode seemed nice when it aired, and I still feel bitter about sitting through all those (51!) episodes thinking it'd get better... 🤦‍♂️

ragnamuffin
1 hour ago, chef_mai said:

Lately, I've been watching various series that have been represented in Azone's catalog. Not all of them click, but it's nice to know the backstories behind all the characters that get turned into dolls by Azone. They seem to really like those CGDCT series, and it makes sense since those characters lend themselves really nicely to Azone's style.

Oooh, I hope you watch Love is War! That one was legitimately hilarious, and the dolls look exactly like the characters.

Angered-Icon
On 1/11/2022 at 11:46 PM, foo said:

dressup.jpg

I feel attacked.

I'm trying to get into this also. I had the same reaction lol.

finnleo
On 6/2/2021 at 7:28 AM, finnleo said:

Something I wish I was watching ... since somewhere a galactic micro-imposion happened:

Well ... color me surprised, come back home from work, check whats been updated, and Lo and Behold ...

Fate / Grand Carnival S1 was put up on Crunchyroll more or less out of the blue ... guess I know what im doing this afternoon... with FFXIV in maintenance and all.

finnleo

Guess ze season picks are in, so some thoughts I guess in order:

Overlord - This was a bit of a missing link in terms of content included in Isekai Quartet, but once the first three seasons popped up on crunchy it was quite the binge, although I have to admit there is a fair similarity in terms of hero compared to So I am a spider, when you come across the moment where the lead has gone off the deep end in terms of personality. The fourth season seems to ease up a bit, but I am expecting the end to go bang again. -- Oddly enough made me rewatch Saga of Tanya the Evil in the process. ... and now I wouldnt mind a Albedo or Shalltear custom doll... Entoma is creepy cute too.. (Albedo horns were already modeled, but lost intrest in that one for a bit...)

Herbivore dragon - A bilibili production, but I have to admit chinese series have come a fair bit since Fox Spirit matchmaker which had a few issues. Amusing fun with a overpowered apprentice and a reluctant vegetarian guardian dragon just trying to hang on for dear life in the process.

Stepmoms daughter is my Ex - Relationship drama comedies seem to need to have some kind of edge these days, and the idea of having your ex as your step-sister/brother is sort of amusing, although the series doesent quite put the thumb-screws on as tight as I would have expected it to.

Parallel world pharmacy - Isekai reborn series ... got to have at least one in the diet, even if it is of the cookie cutter variety.

Isekai Labyrinth Harem - Would you believe I just watch this just to see how silly the cencorship gets? Yes, there are naughty bits, in yet another cookie cutter isekai thing.

My maid is mysterious - A bit of a step sister to Konbu Wakame's Jahy-chan will not loose, and the main attraction is a bit Mahoromatic-esque in terms of settings. An over-achieving maid appears at a orphaned kids mansion, and slow paced, low key shinenigans ensue. There is some cute and cuddy content when the two try to one up eachother in terms of affectionate dialogue. but might cause some squemishness in terms of pairing.

RWBY - The silly MDD-esque animation getting the full anime treatment... but somehow I am a bit dissapointed in the end result. In terms of polish the "upgrade" in animation is minor, and somehow I remember the japanese dub of the original series being a bit more entertaining for some reason... oh well.. there is always Weiss to look at.

Yakuza guide to babysitting - This one is about as serious as you can imagine by the title. Hardass yakazua goon, who actually has a weirdly planted view on life takes care of the boss'es daughter, although I expect some more seriousness to arrive at some point given the side plots.

Rent-a-Girlfriend S2 - The second season of rental girlfriend doesent quite leap into action as the first one, and seems to have toned down a few things in the process, but instead does give some more insight as to what makes the characters tick. Sumi is still sumi though, and you know there can only be one winner in the end with the quartet.

Rewatched BDs:

Saga of Tanya of the evil - Salary man turned battlefield fairy, this one starts off with a perticular sense of humor, which is of the dark variety. unfortunately the animation series is a bit quirky in terms of visuals, especially Visha who looks like a moomin compared to some of the original novel art. Still the story is entertaining, if you can tolerate the initial isekai setting.

The world god only knows S1-3+Ova's - I had been wanting to rewatch this series for some time now, and I thought now was as good a time as any. The premise of a total nerd of a visual novel connoisseur turned real life love conquerer is quite fun to watch. Obviously things get a bit tangled up as the series progresses, but what I had forgotten was the total sledgehammer that the end of season 3 is -- You have been warned.

this actually made me dig up a DVD set of all things to reset my palette:

Ouran school host club - The reverse trap series of its day, in full 4:3 aspect glory. the flat pan heroine turned bishi-host might not be the most believable of plots, and it takes a fair bit of Fruits Basket as inspiration, to the point where you start to search for links between the two in terms of production. But still, lighthearted fun to reset any heavy duty offerings.

SweetTeethz

We basically have caught up to Dragon ball super and are now watching GT before Super Hero comes out in America!!

dragon ball is actually so funny and a charming series I wish more people go into the original it’s really a piece of history as well!! Akira toriyama is the king of making me feel nostalgic for something I never even watched before haha 😆

Gwandak

The ones I'm the most into right now are My Hero Academia and Fire Force. So basic aren't I? 😒

NozomiViolet

I just re-watched One punch man if that counts? I have been wanting to watch more but...distraction...

meltychoco_BJD

I've been watching the Liella anime (LoveLive Superstar) recently.

I'm close to finishing season one and so far I'm really enjoying it!

I like that they kept some LL traditions while also doing some new things. I also prefer the animation's art style a bit more compared to LL Sunshine and the original LL.

Otherwise, I've also been trying to re-watch both Soul Eater and Naruto (first season), but they're pretty long so I'm hardly anywhere close to the end. They're both anime I watched when I was a kid, so I don't really remember the plots that well. I mostly started re-watching them for nostalgia's sake, but I'm actually enjoying them both a lot.

I was also watching Jibaku Shounen Hanako Kun, but the website I was using glitched out a lot, making several episodes unwatchable, so I dropped it for a while. I'm still keeping up with the manga but I should probably get back to the anime soon too.

☆⋅⋆ ───FIND ME ON─── ⋆⋅☆

DoA | Twitter | Instagram

☆⋅⋆ ────── ⋆⋅☆

Pit

Cyberpunk edgerunners. Never played the game but the chapters I have watched until now are interesting. And of course, there are beautiful characters that could easily be recreated as a "cyber" doll.

Edited by Pit

ragnamuffin

I’m finishing up Tower of God now and am blown away by it. The first episode was so cringey with the overblown anime tropes that you could tell right away it wasn’t actually Japanese but was trying SO hard to be, but after the first couple of episodes I was completely hooked. It’s so much better than it has any right to be!