Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
marisa_doll

New DIY Lightbox!

marisa_doll

Hey everyone .

Today I made my own DIY lightbox.

4BuRYl.jpg

I think it works pretty well; here's the cliche "picture of camera lens" demonstration shot!

RODDul.jpg

This was taken with just the single bulb in my room, I was pretty surprised at how well it diffused!

I bought a pack of foamboard (http://www.greatart.co.uk/GERSTAECKERFOAMBOARDPACK-modelling.htm), 50x65cm, 3mm thick.

The walls were taped together and can fold up for storage. The base was trimmed down to remove the front overhang and is affixed to the walls with velcro tabs (so it can be removed for storage).

I draped a bit of chiffon silk for a simple backdrop. The edges of the box weren't visible in the test shot so I think I might be able to do endless void pictures!

So this little box only cost around £15!

My SQ Hibiki

I am putting up for adoption a SQ-Lab Ren head on flickr. Contact me for more details!

Hpyon

Wow, cool! So you didn't have any direct lighting to the box itself, just regular room lighting made it look that smooth? I'll have to try this out too, makes for really cool product shots, who knows when there'd be need for that!

marisa_doll
Wow, cool! So you didn't have any direct lighting to the box itself, just regular room lighting made it look that smooth? I'll have to try this out too, makes for really cool product shots, who knows when there'd be need for that!

Yeah. Just the regular bulb in my room (which is a very cheap 2500k CFL).

The bulb in my room is surrounded by a huge spherical shade, though, and that probably is what helps to smooth the light out so much.

Definitely I will be getting some small clip-on lights soon, just so I can add a bit of dimension to some photos (such as lighting the legs from the side a bit more so their cylindrical shape can be seen more easily).

It was really quite easy to make; just make sure when you're taping the sides to each other that they fit firmly around the base piece.

The velcro tabs to fix the base means the entire thing can be folded flat for really easy storage. You could pass on the velcro and just place it all on the table, but my flat doesn't have a free table to do this, so I place it on my bed

Good luck!

My SQ Hibiki

I am putting up for adoption a SQ-Lab Ren head on flickr. Contact me for more details!

Hpyon

Finally took a trip down to the hobby store. The foam they had wasn't really stiff enough so I had to use a lot of tape and some cardboard to reinforce it, but seems to work okay with a low-powered desk light and +1 exposure.

lightbox_650.jpg

Google also had a lot of solutions with a cardboard box where one side has an opening in it and white paper taped to the inside, I'll probably try making one of those for comparison as well someday!

marisa_doll
-snip-

Nice! Seems to work fine

Yeah I think for the foam method we'd need three bright lights shining on the walls only, and a strong light in the front too. Compensating with higher exposure can sometimes wash out the lighter objects a bit too much.

My SQ Hibiki

glassjaw

24-70m? mmmm ...verrrryy smexxy

soulcanon01

my menthod for taking shot with white back ground, just use a curve bended foam board. haha.

pretty useful and you can eithe use lamb to light from the side or top

also can use outdoor and provide pretty nice result

< seems i dont have enough posts to post pic ; w ; >

Amyseeker

Great job! I have one similar to this ^^ But actually i don't use it so much, but now that my little girl arrive i'll start to use it again ^^

At Home: Aya (DDH-07), Haruka (Saber Extra) & Rin Rin (Rin Tohsaka) Aoko (Aoko Aozaki) & Hikaru (Rin Shibuya)

Wow, this is awesome! I've been thinking about making my own lightbox for a while now, and now I'm super tempted. Thanks!

nati

Thank you, truly helpful topic! I've been thinking about making a lightbox for my little dolls and yours seems to work really nicely!