The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

mewcat

How many of us got into the dd dolls from anime?

Bellatrix

Again nope, not really ^_^ 

Funnily enough, I got into watching a couple of animes after really liking the looks of the related DD's (Yuki Morikawa, Beatrice, Macross Frontier).

The only one I got as I was a fan of the item BEFORE the doll was released was Sailor Moon. Too bad I am not a great fan of the original head sculpt though!

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Gabriel
On 4/24/2021 at 5:22 PM, Mega Negi said:

OG Minmei dollfie? RIP my wallet. If they really wanted to twist the dagger, they could put out a Misa Hayase, too. Or a Millia Fallyna...

I would have to get Minmay and Misa.  I'd probably go for a Mikumo from Delta.  Ishtar would be another one, but only if she came with two wigs (long and short).

ChrisFhey

I definitely got into Dollfie Dream because of my love for anime, although I have to admit it's kind of evolved from figure collecting.
I also blame that Saber Extra I bought on Mandarake one day for looking so irresistible.

abs2891

In general, I first stumbled into dream of doll via jpop somehow?  I don’t really remember given it was 2008 or 2009 lol still I had also followed anime which was why I was into jpop so let’s say my finding bjd was anime adjacent.  At the time being a not so rich HS/College student there wasn’t much more for me to do than stare at the pretty.  Given dream of doll is now defunct that may stay that way unless I explore the resale market should I ever venture in resin... (the open dolli pop store tab in my browser says I might lol)

My discover of dollfie dream specifically, and finally jumping into buying dolls though, would be a direct link to anime as I was introduced to DD via a YouTuber reviewing her sailor moon dollfies.  I was especially intrigued by the plastic joint as opposed to string system (which I’ve always been intimidated by) and the fact that things come in full sets so I didn’t have to worry about face ups unless I wanted to, though I have traded that for dealing with stains haha

Edited by abs2891

zankitsu

It is the other way around for me. I got into anime now because of these dolls! I am an avid fashion doll collector and I am really into Superdollfie and still am. I've been passing these dolls for years because I am not a big anime fan and the small realism in SDs are perfect for me...it borders, imo.

Anyway, it's my 8-year old daughter who pointed the aesthetics and beauty of these dolls because she's a huge fan of kiratto prichan (she is mixed and is Japanese). She wanted me to get her a favorite character of hers and she insisted on Dollfie Dream.

So I started reasearching about DDs and fell in love with two Rins: Tohsaka and Shibuya. Both very expensive in the secondary market! I am now watching the Fate series and really wanted a Rin Tohsaka. I may have found one nrfb in my budget! 👍 I still want the Cinderella project Rin though. 

My project is to surprise my daughter with her favorite Kiratto Prichan character and build that from scratch. I will start a thread to ask expert opinions here as to the perfect sculpt, body, eyes etc so the doll ends up looking like the character. 

That's my newbie story! 😊

• Like 2

Meowjima

I coveted DDs for a while, and to a lesser extent SDs, because of several of the liscensed dolls they released (EVA, touhou, Umineko, The Melacholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Rozen Maiden, P4GtA)  I was initially scared because I felt they ere out of my price range  I was also afraid of how fragile they were, and honestly, I kind of regret not jumping in sooner, especially now that a lot of the dolls I'd love to own are rare or incredibly expensive.

The_Folktale_Fox

I got into the vinyl dolls via the resin bjds but it was actually because I started watching anime that I got interested in anime looking dolls. I never saw the appeal until I got invested in anime and mangas zo here I am lol. 

ShinobisDestiny

I always had dolls ever since I was a small child. It started with Barbie and then went to Bratz dolls and it grew to a very big collection of it. I never grew out of it but from time to time I feel overwhelmed  by the mass of dolls. I also like to take pictures of them. And then I saw Dollfie Dream Miku the first time on Facebook and I fell in love. So no but I always re played Animes like sailor Moon with my Barbie dolls ^^°

chef_mai
On 2/25/2021 at 1:29 AM, Roxanne said:

I'm also a cosplayer and I love the idea of taking my doll with me and making them into a mini-me of the character I'm cosplaying. (Sometimes they already are that character 😂)

There are some in Japan who take this idea really seriously. Have a peek at this:

• Like 4

Roxanne
1 minute ago, chef_mai said:

There are some in Japan who take this idea really seriously. Have a peek at this:

Oh wow I love this so much! Thanks so much for sharing! 😊

My instagram! 

Roserolls

For me, my fall down the dollfie rabbit hole went like this:

get into anime/manga➡️ get into lolita fashion because of anime➡️ read the Gothic Lolita Bible➡️ see Super Dollfies being showcased in GLB➡️ search for Volks dolls➡️ discover Dollfie Dreams (I remember specifically it was when Moe and Natsuki were released)➡️ fall in love and get hooked forever lol

I think the anime to dollfie dream pipeline is pretty strong, although I did already have a background of liking dolls in the first place that probably helped solidify it.

That_Dollfie_Dude

For me the route was visual novels.  Anifee released BJD versions of Chocola and Vanilla from the VN series Nekopara.  I believe they are vinyl bodies with resin heads, and 1/4 scale.  I didn't buy them, but the started my interest in learning more about the doll hobby, and I eventually found my way first to Smartdolls, and then to Dollfie Dreams, and finally to Super Dollfie.

Oculae

I think in my case, I got into vinyl because the people around me were into anime! I had just gotten into resin when I had the idea of making one of my characters into a doll, and the character in question had been drawn by one of my favorite artists, who has a very anime-esque art style. My first encounter with a vinyl doll was Smartdoll's Eiji as a result of a long head hunt, though at the time I was a broke college student and there was no way I'd be able to afford him. 😂

I pined over him for a few weeks before admitting to myself it wasn't going to happen, and promptly forgot about him until years later, when I found DD and SmD all over again. A secondhand Obitsu that I got (bc I couldn't afford Resilient at the time) ended up completely converting me to the side of vinyl dolls, and the rest is history!

I did eventually find Eiji again shortly after milk was retired, thanks to Chaos and a keen eye on the secondhand market. He's been with me ever since, and with the completion of his resin wig, he looks more like my beloved character than ever! I love this hobby!!! 😁

22-05-16-09-43-03-013_deco.jpg.0de43ac42ff09aed01e6a58996c86d1d.jpg

• Like 3

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

Rajke

A lot of things happens and suddenly I got my first anime DD.

long version under the spoiler because a lot of things happened.

It Started with a Celtic event where I bought a replica/cosplay sword of an anime serie I didn’t know back then. I actually did not now much about manga and anime at all. Even the word anime was pronounced wrongly at home.

Thanks to my younger brother who recognises the sword and linked it to the series Bleach.

So I started watching and got really into this series. A bit too much. If I look back at this time I was a real Weeabo when it comes to Bleach.

Then the point came that the end of the series was there. And decided to watch another serie hoping it would be as good as Bleach.

I was not dissapointed because there where a lot of good anime’s that time. Rosario + Vampire leads to a photo of a figure made by GSC. That figure was at that time sold out (unlucky me) and my interest in figures globally increased.

After buying a prize figure of two I discovered a whole database for figures. There I discovered a photo made by someone I do not remember because he/she probably had a common used name at that time. That photo contains a Dollfie Dream sister in a beautiful setup. That’s where my interest in Anime styled Dollfie’s began.

I actually needed a few years to discover how the ordering process goes by Volks. And that leads to buying a Smartdoll first.

In the end I ordered Yuriko Dollfie Dream sister which could only mean the start of the Dollfie pitfall that I experience now without regrets.

And now where at the point where I start to think who would ever read this whole comment. XD

Edited by Rajke
  • Like 1

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Silent

I got to dolls via youtube by chain clicking on related videos next to video. Maybe some naruto videos were before? Algorythm maybe did not exist or not in way it does today. There werent ananoying adverts you cant often skip, only close-abble mini advert windows. Even interface was different not even 16:9 ratio for viedo window. Different era. I grew up with youtube.

I guees it was this video: (not sure if exactly on this channel, or if there are reuplods, since youtube sometimes delete stuff)

I was 11 or 12 years old or so and be like: "Dude, theese dolls are next level. Not like barbies."

• Like 1

Maia
54 minutes ago, Silent said:

I got to dolls via youtube by chain clicking on related videos next to video. Maybe some naruto videos were before? Algorythm maybe did not exist or not in way it does today. There werent ananoying adverts you cant often skip, only close-abble mini advert windows. Even interface was different not even 16:9 ratio for viedo window. Different era. I grew up with youtube.

I guees it was this video: (not sure if exactly on this channel, or if there are reuplods, since youtube sometimes delete stuff)

I was 11 or 12 years old or so and be like: "Dude, theese dolls are next level. Not like barbies."

I got into dolls via YouTube too. I was around 8 or 9 when I first saw them it was Nicole dreams repaint/unboxing video. I was always watching doll unboxing videos and repaints so I had probably seen one before but just don't remember. The first Dollfie dream I saw was Snow Miku.

TolfyTheWolfy

Well, one day a while ago, I was searching for dolls on a random website (I don't remember the name) but they were a partner seller for Smart Dolls. I checked the Smart Dolls out and fell in love with the anime style. I'm not exactly sure how, but they got me into Dollfie Dream (assuming I searched Anime Style BJDs or something similar). 

ShinobisDestiny

I always liked and had dolls ever since I was a little boy. Thank god my mom is a cool mom and supported my hobbies (up to a point) It started with Barbie and went through all kinds of fashion dolls that are available in stores. But almost all the time I pretended my Barbies were the Sailor Squad. I styled their hair etc. Till this day Sailor Moon is one of my fave animes ever.

But then one random day in the Internet I saw my holy grail doll at the time which was a Pullip Miku Hatsune doll. I loved her but she was way too expensive for me so I never thought of getting her. At the same time I spent my money on Bratz dolls which was not easy because they weren´t avaiable in my country so I had to buy them second hand on ebay and with shipping it was crazy expensive. But I always had Miku in my mind. And then BAM Dollfie Dream Miku appeared randomly in my Facebook feed and I was just over the moon. But I saw the price and I said yeah I will never spend that much money on one single doll.

A few months or years later I met someone onlie who does Repaints and she had a Snow Miku. We decided to meet at a con just so I could see her Miku in person and the moment I saw her and hold her in my hands I was sold. And it worked out. My Dollfi Family is a bit bigger than expected but yeah I would say without animes I wouldn´t be what I am today as a person and as a doll collector 

SylveonPaws

In a round about way, yes it was anime.

I didn't care for dolls in general when growing up, like Barbie Disney etc.  I was more of a plushie person.  But at some point anime lead me to anime merch, and thus anime dolls and I was like WOW I love these!!  They were so colorful and cute, based on fun characters.  So I started with some Bandai dolls and figures and that lead to discovery of Dollfies, and then other BJDs, and here we are!

Now I'm in the rabbit hole and loving the doll world in general.  I have even warmed up to some Western dolls, like monster high, and rainbow high.  I think I'd have liked those as a kid if I knew about them or if they existed.

vhan1088

the anime aesthetic of dolfie dream dolls is definately what got me in to this hobby. ive always liked the fact that I can make them like some of the characters ive drawn and to me its alot easier than customzing figures and model kits thanks to the simplified features of anime characters and that I am a terrible sculpter, i can use them when drawing and as long as your careful they arn't as high maintenence as anime figures. I really hate that rubbery plastic they use for the hair sometimes it's such a pain to clean when it gets sticky.

CocosContestHall
On 1/27/2022 at 1:23 PM, chef_mai said:

I plan on doing this with my Uzuki. We practically look alike, so there's no need to buy a cosplay wig.

Anyway, I got into DDs when I was planning to make Haruka from scratch. This was back in my middle school days. But I was always obsessed with dolls. My first "real" Japanese fashion doll was Dal Kagamine Len. He's in a box now, but I still have him as a picture on my DSi. (I'm thinking of getting another Pullip!)

Edited by CocosContestHall

Epona

So this is going to sound very convoluted (...because it is), so bare with me, lol... 

When I was about eight years old, Sailor Moon had already been off the air for several years. I caught the very end of it's run at about ~5 years or so old, and... the name escaped me for a long time, until I got a 6" Bandai Sailor Jupiter doll at a rummage sale. Around this time I got super into InuYasha, and I had realized my doll's outfit looked so much like Kagome's schoolgirl outfit... and then it finally all started rushing back to me! I loved watching Sailor Moon and I wanted a Sailor Moon doll so bad when I was about 5, and whenever Sailor Moon was on, my brother would always try to change the channel.

Needless to say, I was transfixed and around that point came a pretty dedicated effort of collecting the Sailor Moon dolls I still wanted, as well as finding whatever media I could secondhand. Around this time I was also looking everywhere for Sailor Moon and Inuyasha dolls - I remember coming across Setsunako's custom dolls, as well as some very pretty custom ooak anime dolls on ebay, that I think... might have been Setsunako? I remember finding them SO beautiful though, and I desperately wanted them. XD I want to say around this time I found Junkyspot's website, with all of their obitsus and Bobobie bjds, LOL... I kind of just tucked that knowledge away, and focused on the Bandai and Irwin Sailor Moon dolls instead.

...So I've always kind of known about obitsu. Through Obitsu, I was also aware of the 1/6 Volks dolls that appear to be long discontinued now. It would be a long time until I got an obitsu or a volks anything (though I would eventually get a secondhand 1/6 Setsunako obitsu-volks hybrid doll for a little bit lol), but I was always vaguely aware of both companies. 

I remember when I was about a senior in high school I was scrolling through tumblr, and I remember seeing a whole thing about Danny Choo and Smartdoll - the article had talked about the doll aiming to eventually be a robot, and I was transfixed! It reminded me of Chobits, and I loved the idea of having my own Sumomo! The cost was super prohibitive for me, since I was a broke high schooler, but the memories I had of Volks and Obitsu definitely started to flood back! If memory serves, I think this might have been the article...?

https://newatlas.com/smart-doll-robot/28127/

I don't really know if or when there was a definitive "Dollfie Dream" moment, though XD; I did get into collecting pullips shortly after high school, though, and from there I would get into collecting bjds. Now I am collecting some 1/6 vinyls, although I have yet to get my first Dollie Dream, though I do have a few I have my eye on. 🥰 Now I am also a not-broke high school OR college student so it's easier to afford these dolls, too - although, I still wish Volks had some kind of layaway system. 😛 Karin will probably be my first Dollfie Dream, though I'll only be buying her after I complete some personal goals first (unless I find an amazing deal secondhand or something, I guess, lmao). 

Pawjamas

I got into anime as a young teen, and from there got into some surface level infatuation with certain Japanese street fashions and some Japanese music. V-kei and gothic lolita came up on my radar, and from there I saw resin BJD with those themes. Come college, I finally got my first resin BJD. Saw anime styled / vinyl dolls on and off over the years, but never had any real interest in them. 

Saw some DD at some local meets and actually ended up really liking them. These days I like the anime styled / vinyl dolls more than the resin ones overall, but my favorite is still a resin (Dollzone's Mitty Kitty).

Kunoichi Ribeiro

Anime, take me to resin bjds first, after my 7th bjd i saw DD Hatsune Miku and was loooove at first sight! I couldn't resist and ended up buying one for myself.

PolitelyNefarious

Yup; I'm guilty. Sort of.

I grew up on old anime, as in anime before my time, and some of the 'classics' in America that were new and cutting edge in the day. Robot Carnival and Robotech were my first prolonged exposure to the medium, shows like Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Pokemon/Digimon, and Metabots were airing. So a diverse range of styles and tastes. Some of them I liked, some I detested, but all were a learning experience, and I fell in love with the art style before it was mainstream. I remember when a big name book store getting a manga section was a big deal- Maxwell Jr.s had a shelf with the first four to five volumes of three series- in English!- and four or five books on how to draw. Truly, we were spoilt for choice! 😆

While poking around on the internet, I discovered that expensive statues were a thing. Beautiful as they were, they held no appeal without articulation. I know now that some of these 'statues' were the first Dollfies and Dollfie Dreams, but without seeing their joints through the clothes, I remained oblivious for an embarrassing amount of time. Naturally once I discovered they could pose, it was all over for my wallet.

1541664063_324SigUpdate(1).jpg.0e6f96def94bd21c61f91356e0bc8f92.jpg