The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

mewcat

How many of us got into the dd dolls from anime?

kirsei
I've been an anime fan all of my life, and since I'm really into Vocaloid when I heard the announcement for the Dollfie Dream Miku a spark went off and then all of a sudden DDs piqued my interest.

That's part of what got me into DD as well. I got into BJDs from seeing some custom Cloud/Sephiroth ones that a friend who was a HUGE FF fan showed me. I've always loved dolls and started researching them, but I don't exactly remember when I became aware of DD. They've always been in the periphery of my BJD-centered view and I have often cooed over especially pretty ones, but I didn't get the overwhelming WANT feeling until DD Miku was released. And honestly I wish I'd gotten one sooner, she's absolutely GORGEOUS. Now I need like fifty lol

silverredgreen

i am a huge anime geek but i don't remember how i fund about DD but i was interest in them but the price was the problem so i wasn't able to get one than a few years later and having a good job and the announcement of the miku dollfie i got it and got back into it than volks had a booth at anime expo 2015 were i knew i was going to buy another one and i was planing only to get one but i ended getting two dollfies dreams

also at the time when i found out about dollfie dreams i was watching angelic layer

Lily

I got into anything through anime. Cosplay, lolita fashion AND dolls! I am so happy that one hobby tought me so many othersss

kulayyelo

I've been a fan of anime for quite a long time now, but I got into resin BJDs first. I initially planned to buy a DD first, but a friend convinced me to join a bjd group order she organized. What piqued my interest towards BJDs are the variety of customization you can do and the fantasy-type stylizations (extra parts like wings, horns, hooves, etc), but the same time I'm into anime aesthetics, so I tend to shy away from the almost realistic/mature builds. Eventually I got my grail DD that I initially planned on purchasing, and haven't made any major doll purchases after that, so I guess that is a good sign

Shizusan

Honestly, I never really gave dolls a look. Being male, I thought dolls were for girls only so whenever I came across them I just passed right on by. About 2 years ago I was talking to a friend about anime (I'm an anime geek) and he told me about this social media personality named Danny Choo. So I've seen every episode of his and he had this infatuation with "Saber-san" which in turn was a DD. The minute I saw it I was like thats sooooo cool, then I found out they were $$$. Well 1 year later, Sheryl Nome was announced (being a big Macross F fan) I said screw the money and pre-Ordered Sheryl. Now the waiting began, but I couldn't wait lol. Started watching everyones "Unboxing" videos, care videos, music/picture montages. Did some research and bought myself a M.O.M.O. and boy am I hooked. I've had her for like 7 months and already she has 4 outfits, 4 shoes, a custom made couch, and more items on a wish list to buy. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I'm hooked.

• Haha 1

oscarmonkey4

it was definitely a love of anime and anime figurines that brought me to want and love dollfies!

Kunoichi Ribeiro

I got in to DD because i fall in love with Miku promo pictures when Volks open her pre order. Was love first sight!!

FinalGear
Honestly, I never really gave dolls a look. Being male, I thought dolls were for girls only so whenever I came across them I just passed right on by. About 2 years ago I was talking to a friend about anime (I'm an anime geek) and he told me about this social media personality named Danny Choo. So I've seen every episode of his and he had this infatuation with "Saber-san" which in turn was a DD. The minute I saw it I was like thats sooooo cool, then I found out they were $$$. Well 1 year later, Sheryl Nome was announced (being a big Macross F fan) I said screw the money and pre-Ordered Sheryl. Now the waiting began, but I couldn't wait lol. Started watching everyones "Unboxing" videos, care videos, music/picture montages. Did some research and bought myself a M.O.M.O. and boy am I hooked. I've had her for like 7 months and already she has 4 outfits, 4 shoes, a custom made couch, and more items on a wish list to buy. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I'm hooked.

^---- pretty much sums it up for me

berettapunk

massive anime fan, dated another massive anime enthusiast who owned a DD. she was excited that i was accepting of her having a dollfie and even more excited i wanted to get involved in the hobby too. unfortunately we split ways but remain great friends to this day but our love for dollfies havent changed.

but yea to sum it up ive never really cared to much for the other bjds in the hobby. i really believe the reason i love these girls so much is their more often than not direct link to anime and their pure anime styling over all. ive said it before and ill say it again, i love the fact its something i feel is a little more personal than a figurine that i can relate to my anime hobby a little more.

OMG WHERE ARE THEY ALL COMING FROM?!?!

MugenTenshinFRD
I got in to DD because i fall in love with Miku promo pictures when Volks open her pre order. Was love first sight!!

That's great! As soon as DD Miku was released, I already noticed anime fans/otakus and other people commenting and talking about it, who eventually could get into buy it and totally get into the DD hobby.

DD Miku probably was one of the best moves of Volks to spread our love of dolls. Hatsune Miku has such a big audience. For newcomers, just the price and size can scare people. The pictures can really persuade people though.

Japan 2016 memories

10-2016:

Hatsune Miku finally home!

Upcoming family member: Snow Miku

Playstation: MugenTenshinFRD

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/FerdieFB23

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/75674706@N06/

electricalcorvid

I was already in the BJD hobby, which is how I found out about Dollfie Dreams. At first I wasn't fond of them being made of vinyl, but after holding one and comparing it to a full resin doll of the same size I became more curious. I was already a fan of many anime/manga, so that was also a bit of influence.

Sadie89

I collected (and still collect) resin bjd before buying my Miku.

Actually I got a DD because I wanted one no matter what I wanted to try a doll made of a different material than resin,they can be heavy and hard to handle (my latest boy is simply too much for a single person ) while vinyl is soft and light and you can carry a DD around much easily!

As someone else said, I had to customise my girl (changed her clothes and waiting for her new wig) because having a pre-made character doesn't work for me.

So no, it was not anime that got me into DD,even if I was and I still am a big anime fan.

• Like 1

charlotte

I started out watching anime, then started to collect nendoroids and figmas and then somehow, I don't remember how (probably figure.fm looking for nendoroids), I stumbled across them and fell in love.

• Like 1

marikamira

I actually got into them through reading Danny Choo's blogs and watching his Culture Japan show back in the old days before he had created his own BJD, the Smart Doll. He had a really nice Saber Dollfie and would always take many pics of her ^^ I really wanted a DD too but I could not afford one at the time, though right now I'm about to get my first one together soon~ I'm so excited! I was debating whether to get a DD or Smart Doll first but I decided to get a DD for now and I'll probably get a Smart Doll too in the near future.

At home: Kanna<3(Custom DDH-01 MDD NS)

*Seiya-kun is getting reshelled into the new SmD Eiji*

BeyondTime

For me I discovered the existence of Dollfie while searching ebay for K-On figures, and I found the DD Mio and Yui. They didn't really pique my interest at first especially since they were close to $2000 on ebay. After awhile I got curious about why they were $2000 so I looked into them, and that's when I found out about DD Kos-Mos. Definitely my grail doll, and I had to have her. It was around Christmas, and she sat in customs for like 10 days while I climbed the walls waiting for her...

Anime was how I discovered DD, but technically Kos-Mos is a game character so it was the Xenosaga game trilogy that got me into the hobby. It's probably not surprising that Shion Uzuki ended up being my first custom.

I ended up with both Yui and Mio eventually, but at used Mandarake prices not ebay prices.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Seki

I can't really remember when I got into DDs, but was (still am)definitely into resin dolls first. ^^ That was about 6 years ago. And even before resin dolls, I was(still am) into pullips. I liked anime, but it had nothing to do with anime. ^^

zaylea

I definitely didn't get into DDs because of anime. I started out with American Girl dolls. They're cute and have great props and stuff, but I found myself wanting to have dolls of other "ages" and also boys, and also AG's are sort of limited as far as customization goes.

So then I discovered BJDs. I started out with an Obitsu 60cm w/ Gretel head. Then I moved onto resin. I have a few and I love them, but I'm probably not going to buy more of them for quite a while.

Anyway, then I started warming up to the more anime-style dolls. I also started reading manga around the same time. There is a used book store near me that has a really good selection with great prices. I had also started playing a lot more JRPGs since I got a PS Vita. I'm not really super big on watching anime, but that's mostly because I don't watch much TV.

I didn't go with Dollfie Dream at first, because I wasn't really drawn to the standard models, and Miku seemed unattainable, so I got a Smart Doll Kizuna. Now my Miku is coming. Also, I'm thinking about changing the head on my Obitsu to have an anime style head (maybe a custom DD head?), since the gretel head doesn't really "fit" with any of my other dolls (too realistic for the DD/Smart Dolls, but not realistic enough for the resin dolls) and I think she might murder me in my sleep anyway because she looks pretty soulless. You could say we haven't really bonded.

• Haha 1

galatia9

I think I got into the DDs from resin BJDs, but I really enjoy anime and love the look of the characters, which influences my purchasing of them.

I've liked the look of anime characters since I was five years old, watching Speed Racer on American TV. But I didn't watch anime again until the early 2000's, when Adult Swim was showing Cowboy Bebop and other anime series on Adult Swim.

I started collecting fashion dolls as an adult around 1987, but when I found out about resin BJDs and purchased my first one in 2005, the fashion dolls disappeared from my house! I liked the anime look of the BJDs and the fact that they came from Japan. I think I first saw DDs around 2006, and knew I wanted one right away! But I didn't give in and buy one until 2012.

I don't keep my DDs as the characters they come with, I always give them their own names and characters, just like I do my resin BJDs. I am not sure what I would do if Volks came out with a DD as one of my favorite anime characters! Probably the same thing.

I HAVE purchased some of my resin BJDs because they look like my favorite anime characters, but they don't portray those characters all the time. Just once in a while, like they're cosplaying. Specifically, I have three who look like the trio from Samurai Champloo.

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

Neuroman

I actually got interested in DD dolls (Saber) from a visual novel, Fate/stay night.

--F

kiddo

Definitely inspired by anime. Especially characters from Shonen manga and anime like Naruto, One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Spirited Away and Summer Wars.

sinclair

If it weren't for my love an anime, I probably wouldn't be part of the group of DD owners. But I wouldn't directly say it was due to anime. I loved Rozen Maiden, but didn't start looking up dolls because of it. It was stumbling upon this computer generated singer Hatsune Miku year ago near when she first came out. I loved her look and voice, and have a ton of songs. I bought a PSP about the time Sony dropped it just so I could import the Project Diva games. I thin kin early 2015 I came across the DD Miku, but didn't give it more than a passing thought because it was only in Japan, and a year after the ability to order her. Well this spring I somehow learned about the release, and decided I just had to have her. But again was a month after the pre-order. So I found a new in box 2014 Miku about the same price on eBay and ordered her. 2 days later I learned about Volks USA, and that they were selling her the next day! But it didn't matter as I knew I had her coming.

So the short of it is, I got my 1st DD because I love Hatsune Miku. I found Miku because I looking at anime stuff online since I enjoy anime. And I have my eyes set on at least 2 more dolls. I like these anime inspired dolls.

seventhfonist

Several years ago I was really big into collecting nendoroids from anime and games. I happened upon a picture of a Dollfie Dream holding her nendoroid on myfigurecollection.net. My adoration of the Dollfie dreams started then.. Approx 4-5 years ago but I was never really financially able to get involved in the hobby until recently.

Weltfremd

I got into the Hobby due to anime! I was a figure Collector for two years beforehand. Actually, I thought Dollfie Dreams are somewhat creepy, but I fell in love with Orchidcats dolls and the pictures on MFC. Especially Melty got my heart melted (haha) really fast..

Another "trigger" was the Macross pre order event. I never thought that I could own just one, but now I have 3,5!

NOPE! I loved drawing anime but hadn't seen any at the time. I was searching on the internet for like some doll or whatnot. I then stumbled upon Smart Dolls. It became an obsession. 

A few days later I searched to see if anyone else made anime styled dolls. Sure enough I found a wonderful brand called Dollfie Dream. These became the main anime dolls for me. 

I was looking at the Collab Models and came across Sailor Moon dolls. I looked up Sailor Moon and OMYGOSH. I watched clips and drew a lot of it! Soon I realized it was on Apple TV. I begged my parents to buy it. I watched all the episodes within a month. Later (a month ago) I thought about making custom anime characters out of Dollfie Dreams. I thought this would pretty fun. 

All the anime I have watched (and still watching) are Sailor Moon, K-ON, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun, A Love Live Movie, Glitter Force (Which was cheesy), and Tokyo Mew Mew. 

I'm thought about making K-ON dolls as well as Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun. 

KMM