Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Godzilla44566

Wig Question (Chihaya)

Godzilla44566

(Stupid new account limitations..) Hello, my first DD will be Chihaya who is on the way, attempting to find pictures I stumbled upon this blog:

http : / / botton.exblog . jp/20897720

Google translate is not of much help but I have a question about this picture :

http : / / pds2.exblog.jp/pds/1/201308/06/08/e0191308_17194172 . jpg

Googles rough translation is: That seems to have been not only net part of the wig, the color of the move from the point of a brush

I know you need a wig cap to prevent the wig base from staining, but do I have to worry about the hair strands staining the doll? Being my first one I wont have another wig so it would be the one it wore for quite some time.

archangeli

This is the image you're trying to link right? (You'll be able to post pics after you reach 20 posts on the forum )

e0191308_17194172.jpg

Generally the hair fibers themselves are not a stain risk. You only need to be concerned about the color of the wig cap. Since Chihaya has blue hair, it's very likely that her wig cap will be black inside. Other dolls with black wig caps (DD Rin Tohsaka, DD Yuki Morikawa) have proven to be stain monsters after very short periods of time! (I'm speaking of just a few hours!) so you should definitely invest in a cloth wig cap and make sure that the wig sits on only the wig cap and never touches the head and ears of the doll.

Silicone wig caps are nice to prevent wigs from slipping, but it's possible for the dye to seep right through the silicone wig cap and stain the doll.

Edit:

I was chatting with one of my friends who reads Japanese & also collects DD's. He thinks that Volks may have dyed the wig to create a more vibrant blue, since that wig is much brighter than any dark blue wig I've ever seen.

The Dollfie Doctors at the event were able to remove some of the staining but they didn't use water so they may have removed some of Chihaya's make up >_<

8450151887_2e94dd76fd_n.jpg

Archangeli.net | Twitter: @MsArchangeli | YouTube: Archangeli

Talolili

After reading this, people should definitely be cautious when using Chihaya's default wig. I own a few fantasy colored wigs (light and dark) and most have light brown caps but I have no idea what color Volks uses. I don't own any of their fantasy wigs.

PrettyCranium
Chihaya's wig fibers themselves stain bright blue.

This is really disturbing. I hope this hasn't become a new trend with Volks.

Godzilla44566

Well does anyone have any advice for a DD newbie? Should I just order some other wig, or can I wash the wig? I dont have any of that oxy stuff or magic erasers so getting stains all over the face would be really lame. I dunno what to do now lol.

shinegamix
Well does anyone have any advice for a DD newbie? Should I just order some other wig, or can I wash the wig? I dont have any of that oxy stuff or magic erasers so getting stains all over the face would be really lame. I dunno what to do now lol.

washing the wig will make it lose the color. best chance is to get another wig that looks like this one

making my triumphant return

mitsuki

I hope not too. I hope Miku's doesn't stain everything green!

patdes

Oh man, I hope this doesn't happen with Miku's wig either! Part of the reason why I want to get her is because the wig is super cute. ( Man, having to find an alternative wig for anyone would suck.

jadepixel

I'm glad you posted this! I'm getting Chihaya soon too, and I didn't know the wig would stain. I don't use Volks wigs much since the dark wigcaps stain, but this is the first I've seen of the fibers staining too!

I know that formydoll.com offers a deep blue color for wigs, and they use non-staining headcaps. Here's an example:

http://www.heberger-image.fr/data/images/76818_database.jpg

Poofiemus

That is kind of bizarre. :/ I don't really get why Volks would feel the need to do that! Like Jadepixel said, synthetic hair comes in all kinds of super-bright colors that don't stain; I've in the past gotten nylon hair that's pretty damn close to Chihaya's color, and the color's part of the fiber rather than dyed. If they couldn't get it exact, then they could have blended two or three different blues. Actually, it probably would have been awesome if they'd used two or three different blues mixed, because then the color wouldn't be so flat and "canned" as single-color fantasy wigs can sometimes be.

I too hope this isn't indicative of Miku's hair. I'd always hoped they'd pick the hair color, and then get a bunch of fabric dyed to match that, but this raises the possibility of the reverse. Especially given how close her hair and trim colors are. (Guess that's a reason to get from VolksUSA of she's available there, or order a little later in the period: with other people getting her first there'd at least be some warning.)

I'm curious if anyone's actually *tried* washing a few strands of Chihaya's wig, to see if the color changes. I know someone had issues with a Leekeworld art wig a while back, and had some success with washing it without loosing too much of the color.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

mitsuki

The strange thing is that the wig is very dark blue not bright blue like in the photos. The one jadepixel linked looks really cool. I also like when LeekeWorld mixes blue fibers. Then the hair color has more dimension. The art wigs are airbrushed with color to make a gradient. I can imagine washing would take the color out.

So far, all I can say is that washing Chihaya's wig releases blue dye into the water. I'm not surprised. The wig is such a dark color that lightening it might not be that noticeable.

SakuraDreams
I'm glad you posted this! I'm getting Chihaya soon too, and I didn't know the wig would stain. I don't use Volks wigs much since the dark wigcaps stain, but this is the first I've seen of the fibers staining too!

I know that formydoll.com offers a deep blue color for wigs, and they use non-staining headcaps. Here's an example:

http://www.heberger-image.fr/data/images/76818_database.jpg

I don't own Chihaya, but I'm preordering Hatsune Miku. She'll stain too, I bet, as did Sakura Shinguji. And if a third party company can make stain-less wig head caps, why can't our dear Volks? Come on Volks, give us some of that Quest For Zero Defect which used to power Japanese greats like National.

At home: DD Sakura Shinguji, DDS Yukiho Hagiwara, DD Asuna, DD Rina Ogata, DDS MOMO, DDS Ranko Kanzaki.

Waiting for: Hatsune Miku

Preordered: Ranka Lee

Countdown to Hatsune Miku.

Godzilla44566
The strange thing is that the wig is very dark blue not bright blue like in the photos. The one jadepixel linked looks really cool. I also like when LeekeWorld mixes blue fibers. Then the hair color has more dimension. The art wigs are airbrushed with color to make a gradient. I can imagine washing would take the color out.

So far, all I can say is that washing Chihaya's wig releases blue dye into the water. I'm not surprised. The wig is such a dark color that lightening it might not be that noticeable.

Is it safe to wear after a wash or two?

Talolili
I don't own Chihaya, but I'm preordering Hatsune Miku. She'll stain too, I bet, as did Sakura Shinguji. And if a third party company can make stain-less wig head caps, why can't our dear Volks? Come on Volks, give us some of that Quest For Zero Defect which used to power Japanese greats like National.

I had no idea Sakura's wig had this sort of staining issue, I don't think anyone here has complained about it before either. This is definitely a bad sign and I'm very worried about Miku's wig now. Jeez Volks.... I just sent them an email the other day about the clothing quality, maybe I should mention the wig fiber stains as well in my next reply. I don't think it would hurt.

mitsuki

I don't know if it's safe yet. I am soaking it and will see what happens.

patdes
I don't know if it's safe yet. I am soaking it and will see what happens.

Ahh, hoping for the best!

I had no idea Sakura's wig had this sort of staining issue, I don't think anyone here has complained about it before either. This is definitely a bad sign and I'm very worried about Miku's wig now. Jeez Volks.... I just sent them an email the other day about the clothing quality, maybe I should mention the wig fiber stains as well in my next reply. I don't think it would hurt.

Please share what they reply here with us! I'm interested in hearing what they have to say. :o

fujiro

That is very disturbing indeed. At least for Miku Volks has almost a year to come up with a better solution than dying the wig.

Maybe they'll issue a replacement wig, or offer an alternative one, at a later date for Chihaya.

Or else some crafty wig maker will make and sell a "Chihaya" style wig. I've seen it happen with other character dolls such as Yoko, Saber, and Kurumi (resin).

mitsuki

I washed Chihaya's wig and it doesn't seem to look any different. The water was dyed blue with the dye leaving the wig. I am still a little afraid to put it on a DD though. haha

Talolili
I washed Chihaya's wig and it doesn't seem to look any different. The water was dyed blue with the dye leaving the wig. I am still a little afraid to put it on a DD though. haha

Goodness, I'd be scared to use the wig too but hopefully you got all of the excess dye out!

Poofiemus

Maybe it's time to dig out a spare hand to use as a staining guinea pig? It's what I do when I get new fabric: take a hand and sandwich it between a couple layers, then let it stew. Least that way all your girls' faces are safe.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

jadepixel

I found this blog where the owner soaked Chihaya's wig and saw lots of blue dye come out. From the later entries it looks like they are using the wig, but it's hard to parse the results via Google translate. In any case, it appears there is hope for this wig!

Talolili
Please share what they reply here with us! I'm interested in hearing what they have to say. :o

I received another reply from Volks USA earlier. I informed them about the stands staining the dolls, and they thanked me and also said that they'd inform their headquarters of the issue. I believe if Volks never knows about any of these issues, they'll never be able to fix them. I'm glad they were willing to listen and reply to me. I was worried about it for awhile.

Godzilla44566

So to wash the wig for removing excess dye to prevent staining, how does one wash it? Do you just let it soak in water? warm or cold? anything else I should put in the water, for how long?