Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Nelly19

Fabrics with miniature patterns for doll clothing

Nelly19

Good night! Does anyone know where i can purchase fabrics patterns that are just the right size for doll clothing. its very hard to find it in my country. I would like to sew more clothing for my girl. I usually go thrifting and use baby clothing for such fabrics, but thats daunting. I have a 47 obitsu and i am not sure what clothes fit her and which brand- this is the next best thing.

Learning that its safe outside my shell too

la_

It might be helpful to draft slopers for your doll. Unfortunately, my account is still under 20 posts so I can't post links, but you can google "sloper drafting". A sloper is a very basic pattern made to fit exact measurements that you can adjust to make any more complicated pattern. So you'll usually have to make a blouse sloper, pants sloper, bodice sloper, etc. But after you do those, you can really do anything.

Cauldroness

I think Nelly isn't looking for actual patterns, but patterned fabric that can be used to make clothes.

So fabric with tiny flowers or teddy bears or whatever, but images small enough that they'd be the right scale on a doll.

Unfortunately, I am terrible at sewing and cannot point you in the right direction. But I'm sure someone here can!

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

la_

Oh, in that case that's simple enough. Most online fabric stores that sell printed fabric will usually have a close-up shot of the fabric with a ruler or coin to show the scale of the print. I've bought some fabric off of eBay by searching for the style of fabric (polka dot, "Japanese" for cutesy or yukata-appropriate prints, etc). Quilting cotton often comes with small prints, but I prefer not to buy it online because sometimes they're so thin they're see-through. You can also buy very narrow lace, elastic and ribbon. It's best to stick with lightweight fabrics because they fall nicely on dolls. Thick fabrics are usually too stiff on small scale.

Yami Usagi

I agree that quilting fabric is a great option.

I don't know what the options are where you live, but Jo-anne's is the best fabric store near me, and they have a whole wall of quilting fabric in quarters. It can be thin, but I find it easy to sew for that reason. It really depends on what you're making though since some pieces need more flow than others.

But the best part is that the size of the patterns is just right for dolls.

Here are some outfits I've made with small patterned fabric(please excuse me for posting non DDs I haven't made as many things for Celeste >_>)

9485564412_0d2d224a9c_z.jpgs 2 by Yami Usagi, on Flickr

Quilting fabric on a 1/6 Pureneemo

11096164206_f93e40d992_z.jpgblack forest skirt 3 by Yami Usagi, on Flickr

Also quilting fabric. Notice the stiffness.

11096018565_a9a70d8801_z.jpgpolka dot dress 1 by Yami Usagi, on Flickr

I found this in the remnant section. Also thicker.

9310015529_dd9014deb5_z.jpgrk 7 by Yami Usagi, on Flickr

Depending on what you're making, larger patterns can work well too. Kimonos often have flowing patterns, so I figured this would look nice cut up. It's cotton.

14601749035_88afeabc4d_z.jpggolden nights_edited-1 by Yami Usagi, on Flickr

If you're still willing to cut up existing clothing, the shirt in this photo is made from a silk neck tie.

If you're having trouble relating the size of the pattern at the store to the doll, perhaps you can bring a piece of your girl with you to compare. I know someone here on the forums carries around a DD hand to make sure props at the store are compatible.

And as mentioned before, you can find fabric on the web just as easily. I've seen entire Etsy stores dedicated to Japanese fabric with lots of little things like Hello Kitty.

Good luck sewing for your girl!

Amara77

I asked a question similar to this a few topics down. Sometimes it can be hard to find a reference pic for pattern scale. A few people suggested fabric.com as it lets you search according to fabric type. All fabrics are referenced with a ruler so you have an idea about size.

Cutting up baby clothes is also an option because the prints are often small enough. Check second hand stores!

Finding the right laces seems to present the biggest problem for me.

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....