Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Lina

I made the sealant glossy + scratch issue

Lina

Ok to start, this is the first time I've used a spray on sealant for my dolls (I went with ZM finishing powder UV cut), and I have made so very many errors!

I started spraying earlier today because humidity was low for the first time since I bought my DDS. I did two base coats and when I brought it inside to work on it I noticed that it seemed to be covered in debris like tiny fibers. I made sure the head was clean before spraying so it was very frustrating. I remember I read on DoA somewhere that someone said they used the back of their exacto knife to carefully remove things like this. I did that and it worked fine for most of them, except for one spot on the cheek that changed texture from the rest. I wasn't sure if I scratched the face or the sealant so I tried placing it in a ziplock bag (the rest of the work I'd done wasn't sealed yet so I didn't want to get it wet) and placed it inside a cup of hot water figuring if it's a face scratch it'll pop out and if not then I'll know what to do.

After I removed the head from the back many parts of the face are glossy (the sealant looks wet but it had been dry for hours when I started working) and there is a wavy line in the sealant on her forehead.

What happened to the sealant and is there anything I can do to salvage my face up?

In the future, is there a better way to get rid of trapped debris in sealant layers?

If I have to scrap the face up what is the best tried and true method to get rid of it?

Is there anyway to prevent debris from getting caught?

Thank you for your time!

deadlegato

I'm thinking the sealant either didn't like the hot water or didn't like the bag. Sometimes you can cover over glossy spots with more matt to dull them down, but in your case it seems like the sealant reacted to something so that layer may never dry, even if covered over. I've had that happen with action figure customs and they stay sticky no matter how many times i reseal. Best bet is to remove and start over unfortunately.

About the only thing you can do about dust is spray in a box. Any wind at all and you get fuzzy face ups. If you live i in a really dirty city is a bigger problem.

Lina

Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking the current sealant may not be worth salvaging sadly, it is still very shiny and I think it might be cracking, it's hard to tell.

I've also had that sticky issue happen with Tamiya gloss when I painted one of my doll's nails during cold weather.

Thank you for the reply, I plan to pick up some windsor & newton brush cleaner and restorer soon to wipe the face up.

I actually live in the country, not sure if that's better though.

jazijaz

I do face ups on BJDs a lot and I had the ZM finishing powder UV cut do the exact same thing. I had to redo it. Luckily, I had a can of MSC matte around. Nothing bad happened when I used the MSC so that means that the problem was not the weather but the sealant (in my case, at least). I stopped using the sealant from Volks since then. No wonder it is so cheap compared to MSC and I had purchased like 4 cans =_=

galatia9

Regarding the sticky gloss issue, I read this helpful thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12334&p=172803

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2