Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Anna-neko

letter openers as props

Anna-neko

Ok, I feel silly 'cause almost sure this came up before but can't seem to find it...

letter openers as your girl's SWORD! I'm feeling like getting my girl half the LotR or GoT armory...

Anyone do this, how well does it work?

The average blade seems to be 10" which is just about right... but to anyone that tried this before: how's the scale visually? Is it alright like all those American Girl chairs & erasers cakes, or would it appear too thin?

And is the hilt big enuff for DD hands to hold or will it slip thru?

Jezrah

The one I have, the hilt is too small for her hands, plus the blade being metal makes it heavy. Certain poses can be achieved with the use of putty to keep her grip, but not everything due to weight.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Poofiemus

I recently got a sword letter opener, which Miku claimed dibs on. (Hadn't expected her to be a melee weapons girl, but hey, she usually gets what she wants and knows it.) I bought it in person, with Miku on hand to compare with, so I know the scale on this one works pretty decently.

It is heavy, since it's all metal, so getting it to balance right for a DDIII is tricky--and I don't think my DDII girls could manage it at all since their elbows are so much weaker. It looks absolutely awesome though.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

battrastard
It is heavy, since it's all metal, so getting it to balance right for a DDIII is tricky--

Any idea what kind of metal? I know that the Bat'leths I made for Billy's Kanu was aluminum, and fairly light.

Is it possible to reverse-engineer them and fabricate a lighter version?

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

Kendansa

What size does everyone generally look for in sword props? I really have no sense of scale, so...

Oni-Chan

While it's not a letter opener, I thought I might add it here anyway ^-^

It's a one piece Trafalgar Law sword prop I found at the shopping centre. One of those high end bootleg type. It sadly doesn't fit into the sheath that it came with and it's quite weighted so it will need assistance or delicate posing to keep it in place.

I 21448937265_e3112b3b6c.jpgHatsuko sword by Shoujo Magic, on Flickr

21262104529_1ccf3e83a0.jpgHatsuko sword by Shoujo Magic, on Flickr

I have more dollfies than my age in years *×*

Kendansa

Ah, I did some math and I've figured out that a DD will take an approximately 11-inch miniature sword or letter-opener. This was done by dividing a full-sized single-handed sword's total length by three. Of course, your mileage may vary and you'd want to increase the size for a two-hander, but I'd like to think that eleven inches would be a good length for a single-handed sword for a DD.

Also, I saw some hobby shop models of various historic Japanese swords that were 1/3 the original, around the same proportion a DD is to a human. I don't know if they come out of the scabbard or if it's just a paint-and-display type deal, but they were inexpensive and lovely when complete, and also made of plastic so the weight is much less than a metal miniature.

atomicwombat

I have some of the plastic sword kits. They usually come with 2 swords, and the smaller one looked better on my dds. The hilt was the perfect size. Only thing to watch out for is the blade and any shiny parts are just a shiny finish, and chip really easily. I heavily recommend spraying any of the shiny pieces with multiple coats of gloss sealent before even handling them. Other than that, the scabbard works great and it's a perfect doll katana.

42466519222_929a6bdb7d_n.jpg