Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

foo

Clothes that don't stain

foo

I've been looking at Dollmore's stuff, and wow, they sell a lot of black. So does Iple House. It feels naive to ask if it stains or not, I've pretty much accepted that anything with dyed a strong colour may cause stains, especially if it was intended for resin dolls. The worst part is that some clothing stays vicious, instant stain-monsters even after washing (I had to throw out those Volks solid black semi-gloss SD socks, they were hopeless).

But still, some stuff I expected to stain has been completely stain free. I thought it'd be useful to have a thread about places where people have learned it's safe enough (or not!) to shop for dark/strongly-dyed clothing. Safe meaning, after washing, it either doesn't stain or stains lightly after a couple weeks.

Actually I want to point out that this method of washing clothes is what I use on anything dark. If it's black I usually do three cycles of the washing machine. Although lately I've been testing unwashed stuff on spare busts as a shortcut.

I'll start off. Share photos if you can!

Coolcat Black Leggings.

13183043874_3ff539baae.jpg

DSC_6751 by bodolza, on Flickr

They actually don't seem to sell these anymore, but I've used them a bunch and they don't stain (washed three times though).

TTYA Jeans

15312188081_856c2858b9.jpg

Cute stuff by bodolza, on Flickr

I washed them several times because I thought they'd be stain monsters, but they've never left a hint of staining after several months of use.

hino123

I read that clothes newly bought must be soaked with vinegar and salt to remove excess color that can stain the doll. I just not yet tried this because my doll is on shipping still. And also did not have buy clothes for her. Your doll outfit is very cool, thanks for info!! ^_^

foo
I read that clothes newly bought must be soaked with vinegar and salt to remove excess color that can stain the doll. I just not yet tried this because my doll is on shipping still. And also did not have buy clothes for her. Your doll outfit is very cool, thanks for info!! ^_^

FYI vinegar is one of those things that everyone says to do but doesn't actually do anything beyond the fact that you're rinsing out the cloth with liquid You'll want to look in the Care & Repairs section of the forum, especially the Dollfie Dream Stain Prevention & Removal FAQ.

Welcome to the hobby

Bubbles

Most of the fabric stuff sold by the YJA seller nyni55 doesn't stain. Even the darker colored stuff.

foo

It seems black stuff from Nine9 Style stuff is reasonably safe, but not perfect. For these socks,

22433670293_6f6ff31525.jpgMiku Shorts by bodolza, on Flickr

I washed them three times and then tried them. I realized I had them on too long without checking so I took them off and her legs were lightly stained all over, but not anywhere near as bad as those accursed Volks Semigloss Black Socks. I've washed them a few more times, and I ended up cutting up a spare body suit and using those as under-socks.

I also have black shirts from them which seem that they're not staining after 3 washes, but I'm not sure. I had one on Sakuya for several days without a problem, and then I had it on Miku for a while. I noticed when I was putting the outfit she's wearing now (shown above) one of her arms is stained black lightly. I don't know why but the only thing I can think of is that black shirt. Fortunately it wasn't the arm with the 01 decal f^_^') That thing was a t-shirt though so I'm not convinced that's what made her arm stain.

K-2

I would assume there is no place/retailer that can be considered "safe" from staining. Even if you buy an item from a seller and go back at a later date and buy another, start with a blank slate. Assume the item will stain till proven otherwise. Vendors change, suppliers change, dye lots are different, fabrics and other materials can be different. Don't set yourself up for that awful surprise by assuming an item is "safe" because the previous one was.

MVSig.jpg

foo
I would assume there is no place/retailer that can be considered "safe" from staining. Even if you buy an item from a seller and go back at a later date and buy another, start with a blank slate. Assume the item will stain till proven otherwise. Vendors change, suppliers change, dye lots are different, fabrics and other materials can be different. Don't set yourself up for that awful surprise by assuming an item is "safe" because the previous one was.

The point is more that some retailers are terrible for staining, as I've heard Iplehouse is. So the question is more about if clothing a retailer sells is suitable for DDs or only resins. It does take effort to care about staining.

Some clothing can't be made stain-safe no matter how much effort you put in, naturally you'd want to avoid buying that stuff in the first place.

Elagabalus
[pic of Volks chair]

Foo: Semi-off topic, but seeing as you've got that red chair from Volks, have you noticed any color transfer from it? I have one as well and am super paranoid about staining, so I've got it covered with some white cloth as it's where I keep my DD most of the time.

I did the wash in lukewarm water + a bit of vinegar and salt for all of my Pullip clothing and have only ever had a staining issue with a pair of printed socks that are probably dyed with Satan incarnate. The vinegar and salt should keep the dye from getting into anything that it shouldn't (like whites, if you leave it soaking), but it's not necessary if you're machine washing. Pullip clothes are so tiny and delicate that I do it all in a mixing bowl >w<. Unless it's something particularly fragile dd clothes can go in the wash with the lingerie bag unless the seam edges are unfinished or something.

foo
Foo: Semi-off topic, but seeing as you've got that red chair from Volks, have you noticed any color transfer from it?

No I haven't, but most of the time their bums are the only thing touching the chair. I do often have their hands touching it for long periods of time though, and I've never had a problem.

I did the wash in lukewarm water + a bit of vinegar and salt

I don't know about the salt, but vinegar only affects acid dyes :/ Clothes made of cotton can't be dyed using acid dyes, and polyester can't be dyed with the stuff either.

Unless it's something particularly fragile dd clothes can go in the wash with the lingerie bag unless the seam edges are unfinished or something.

Ya, I usually use the method I linked in the first post. I also try to test stuff on a spare bust to see if it needs washing, but I've found tests aren't always conclusive, like with those socks Miku is wearing >_<

Elagabalus
Ya, I usually use the method I linked in the first post. I also try to test stuff on a spare bust to see if it needs washing, but I've found tests aren't always conclusive, like with those socks Miku is wearing >_<
Thanks for that info! I'll probably ease off on the white fabric then since it's probably not necessary. I hadn't thought about getting a spare part for testing. I'll have to pick something up now!

As for the vinegar thing, I guess it's not necessary for the most part. Pullip clothes are so so tiny and sometimes of such a variety of different fabrics on a single outfit that being extra safe and putting a bit of vinegar in doesn't bother me.

foo

I bought some tops from Tree Design, including the Point Sleeveless Tees in Milk Chocolate and Dark Chocolate. After washing them, the Milk Chocolate was fine,

tree-point-sleeveless-milk-choco.jpg

but the Dark Chocolate's dye bled into the white It's a bit hard to see here but it's kind of ruined.

tree-point-sleeveless-dark-choco.jpg

I tested the Milk Chocolate on a spare bust for a long time and it didn't stain at least.

I also ordered the Black Princess top from Tree Design and this skirt from Tata,

26750204696_ec4c30f6d3_z.jpg

My desk by bodolza, on Flickr

Miku wore that for about 2 months. It was perfectly fine until about one week ago, when the weather got much hotter (maybe 28° C outside, but my apartment at sunset gets much, much, MUCH hotter). Then after a few days the skirt stained a lot, around her legs, her waist, and her forearm and hand (-‸ლ) The top from Tree Design was still perfectly fine though, absolutely no staining. Before using them I washed them both quite a few times, of course. Also, I really like the quality of clothing from both of them.

While the skirt did end up staining, it really was perfectly fine for well over a month while the weather was cool (maybe 17-23° C). So I'll happily buy dark clothing from both shops. Both these items were much better than the black stuff I got from Nine9 Style, at least.

Misha-san

This thread is great, thanks for all the info! I hope it is not much trouble if I ask about it here, but what is your experience with black cotton-line thigh highs? I'm looking for some for my future girl, so I would like to ask if you could recommend some that do not stain?