Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

missadventure364

3D Printing BJDs

missadventure364

Finally after years and years *and many more years* of waiting I've gotten a 3D printer. I have some ideas for various things including attempting to make shoes for DD, Pullip, ect. with it, but there is one thing I've always wanted to make- and that's my very own BJD. I know I'm not the first to think of this and that there are doll makers like Makie that already use 3D printers to make their dolls, but I think it would still be fun to do.

I'm still learning how to use software and don't actually have my own program yet. I've tried downloading the free version of Sculptris and some other things, but feel like it'll take more time and playing with the programs to get things going the way I want them to. I would possibly be interested in working with someone on making 3D printed dolls in the future but don't even know where I'd start with that.

What's your opinion on 3D printed dolls and do any of you own any (or make your own)?

pharaviel

I'm still waiting to get a 3d printer, not for printing dolls but for printing accessories

Can I ask what kind of printer have you got?

signature1.png.2dfce635036c6c57deba44313bc0f00c.pngsignature2.png.bcfde356b2e987bdaa84f10bcb242282.png

missadventure364

The 3D printer I got is a cheaper one, and kind of limited on what kinds of materials you can use. However it can print very nice sized items and has scanner compatibilities. It's amazing for the price and perfect for a beginner! it's an XYZ Junior printer.

Monty

I know Smart Dolls are 3D printed, but the prints are used to make injection molds which sounds like a very expensive thing for one person to do. Did you mean that, or using the actual 3D print as the doll itself?

RiverR

I'd like to make a 3D-designed/printed BJD or vinyl doll one day but aside from playing around in Blender a little I haven't gotten started yet. How do you like Sculptris?

missadventure364

Making a mold would be a good way to do it probably, but I think as you said Torino that would be a lot of work for just one person. At this point in my life I don't have the means or the money to do such a thing on my own- so for now I was thinking print out actual doll parts.

RiverR, I haven't actually gotten to use Sculptris a ton yet and so far have only downloaded the free version, but in about half an hour I made a shape that looks somewhat close to a face. It was pretty easy and I like how dimensions even themselves out within Sculptris. For example if you pull one side of an orb shaped object the side next to it will do the same- in that way you don't have to worry about making sure something such as cheek size is even on both sides. I hope that makes sense, sorry I know I didn't do a very good job explaining that!

RiverR

@missadventure364 Thanks for sharing! That auto-adjust feature does sound convenient! In Blender you have to adjust manually. (Unless there's an option I don't know about yet--likely because I'm still a beginner.) Maybe I'll check it out~

PhoenyxAshe

Hello from 2020!  I picked up my 3D printer a month ago... then two weeks later picked up another one for the husband.  (Both Ender 3 Pros) Since then I've been printing a -lot- of things... including several BJDs.  There are actually a number of them up on Thingiverse... but since it's one of the oldest 3D repositories - and therefore one of the largest - it can take a bit of digging to find them.

My plan has been to, for once, to -not- dive into the deep end right off, but to print out a few examples, figure out what works, what doesn't, why "x" doesn't work, what I like even if it is problematic, and how to fix it.  Then barrel into Sculptris or Blender or whatever, and create my own.

So far, I have four printed girls, various heads (this or that one just didn't look right), a pair of hip joints printing now, my first male doll set up to print over tonight and tomorrow... and lots and lots of notes.

How's everyone else doing?

Oh, and I should probably mention... I gave myself a deadline - late October, so I can give the first truly "finished" piece to my mother... who's been very nice about not pining for the polymer clay one she hinted for a few years ago (and which I still plan to do as well... but not by October).

• Like 1

MadQueenHarmony

@PhoenyxAshe  Are there pix of the dolls you made?  I'd be very interested in seeing how they turned out!

Yesterday's today's tomorrow