Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
sklurk

sloper pattern?

sklurk

Before I spend time to make one, does anyone already have a sloper pattern made up for a DD? M or L busts?

Also judging by how people set up their slopers for real size, I would think that L normal and L shapely would need specific ones depending on how you want the clothes to fit.

sklurk

decided to go it alone.

Math is hard... mmmmkay?

There were 2 ways of getting a base pattern... 1 was to measure everything, chart it all down and use a ruler on grid paper and follow formulas and convert numbers back and forth with fractions and all that nonsense, then cut it out, try and wrap the paper around the doll body or dress form, which I don't have and then go back and measure some more, tweak numbers etc.

Second method was to grab the dressform, start pinning scrap fabric up and draping the fabric on the form, then pin it all into place, mark it up and then transfer it to paper as a rough pattern. I still don't have a dress form. lol.

Attempt to solve problem 1.

look up prices of doll dressforms.

I am not paying that. lol.

Find another way to make a dressform.

Enter... duct tape dress form.

Found a bunch of YT videos detailing a process of people doing a rough form by taking their model in an old tshirt and then wrapping the poor person in several layers of duct tape. EASY. Spend 1 roll of duct tape, take an old pillow and stuff the form.

Instead of sacrificing a doll shirt, I wrapped a girl in saran wrap so the tape wouldn't stick to the body. Then I had at it with the duct tape. 3-4 layers of tape later, building up the layers with small pieces so I could get the curves properly described, I had a form.

Cut it up the back, free the body out of the kinky bondage and then tape the form back up, stuff it with an old pillow and voila. DD M bust sized dress form. Made another one for L bust.

So now with a form, I STILL don't want to deal with math. So I'm using method 2. Start pinning fabric up and drape it to the form.

DSCN0350.JPG

Boom. Rough sloper. Little bit of stretch in some places, and I'm not sure where the grain is on some parts of it, I'll have to look a bit closer and maybe work it some more.

I'll need to add some material back into the dimensions when I transfer it back to paper to draw up a more accurate pattern, or I'll just staple the darts into place and cut up the sloper right now into the pattern shapes I need for what I want to make and go right into a trial run of a garment.

Haven't quite decided on my route yet. If I transfer the sloper to a paper pattern now and properly draft it out, I can reuse it later as a base to create any top I want. Or I can cut this sucker up and go right into a garment design right away and worry about making a new sloper next time I make a garment since it doesn't take long, and I have a dress form now. lol. Also I'm not planning on mass producing things, so the process doesn't need to be streamlined or productionlined.

So a few things I learned from this....

L busts are HUGE. Watching a bunch of pattern making videos didn't prepare me for the weirdness I had to deal with in trying to lay out the fabric on the L bust. The darts are huge and I gave up doing a normal bust/shoulder dart pattern and went right to princess seaming it with curved seams. It might be more manageable if I don't drape it so tight to the form, but for this garment, I want it very form fitting as it's for Jenn, who wears more tailored clothing. Felicia is not picky, she'll wear a tarp.

galatia9

The dress form looks good! It must be tough to fit Dollfie Dreams with a large bust and that tiny waist. Can't wait to see the results!

I drew up a DD medium bust torso sloper a little while back, but haven't made a garment from it yet.

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2