Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Noxxbunny

Alpaca Wigs?

Noxxbunny

So as per usual, I can't find wigs in the styles and the colors I need, so I'm back to making and dyeing my own. This time, I wanted to try out alpaca fiber, but I had some questions.

The first is about whether there's a specific reason why no one uses Huacaya alpaca fiber for wigs? I exclusively see people using Suri. I know Suri is supposedly the best you can get, but I was just wondering what the difference was in terms of using it for doll hair. It leaves me guessing whether or not the crimp in it is too problematic, if it combs out well, takes to dye well, straightens with heat well, etc.

And the other question, how much fiber would be recommended for a DD sized wig(DDH-07 in particular)? I've seen people say anywhere between 1/2 an ounce to 6 ounces. It leaves me a bit lost. I was probably going to go with 4 ounces for one wig. For reference, I'll be using raw fiber(I'm just deciding between Huacaya and Suri right now), and the hair styles I'm doing are short to medium-ish I think 4-5 inch locks would be more than enough? I'm really unsure.

Anyway, I hope you guys maybe have some advice for me when it comes to this. It seems like a fun project, but I'm just not entirely sure what my options are.

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

Amara77

Hello there ^^

I make alpaca wigs, so I'll give you my input.

Alpaca Wigs

Firstly Suri is more like human hair, where Huacaya is fluffier and more coarse.

It depends on what you have in mind for your style of wig. I think it may be harder to find longer Huacaya fiber as well, because of the way it grows.

Depending on the length of your fiber you will need more or less to make a wig.

The 07 head will average about 1.5 oz. More or less depending on how thick you want your wig.

When you start with raw you do need more as there is a lot of fiber loss. From brushing,and washing.

There is more loss as you assemble the wig.

Since you will be doing a short wig, you will most likely need less fiber for the wig.

Personally even if you want a shorter wig I would suggest 6-7 this way you can compensate for the loss of length from cutting and gluing.

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....

Noxxbunny

Love your wigs! The styles and variety in the colors are so pretty.

It looks like I'll go with Suri then! I'm really glad you were able to give me the 1.5oz ballpark there. I can piece together what I need now since I saw someone else say that 4 ounces of raw fiber will you give you about that much when you're done with it.

I'll hopefully be able to find 7 inch locks if I need that much then. Seems there's naturally a lot of competition for that length now that it's popular in the doll world. I can see why though. Alpaca looks really nice as wigs.

Do you maybe have any recommendations for where to buy from? I've been looking on etsy and ebay...but I don't know if there's somewhere better to be getting it.

But thanks so much for the advice! It was really helpful!

Current Crew: Kaito(DDH07), Miles(DDH06), Lyca(DDH-10), Hotaru(DDH09), Kagamine Rin, Maron(DDH01), Mikuo(Snow Miku), Nagisa(DDH01)

Amara77

It's always better to go longer, and get more.

Alpaca fiber varies from alpaca just like human hair.

I recently just worked with some fiber that came at a staple length of 13in but there was so much breakage at the ends I lost about two inches of that.

So always play it safe

4oz should be plenty. Warning though working with raw fiber can be overwhelming for the first time lol.

If possible try and get it bundled. (all the fiber going the same way top to ends) Personally I hate this part the most and this is where you get the most loss.

Etsy, and Ebay are where I go as well. There are a few shops along the internet if you look around. I mostly stick to Etsy personally.

Post some pictures when you finish ^_^

Spoke too soon....

Atarlia

I also love your wigs! I've never made a wig before but the photos are very inspiring! Would you recommend anywhere that has tutorials for making wigs for Dollfie Dreams, dying and styling?

Hope you dont mind me asking ^^

Amara77
I also love your wigs! I've never made a wig before but the photos are very inspiring! Would you recommend anywhere that has tutorials for making wigs for Dollfie Dreams, dying and styling?

Hope you dont mind me asking ^^

Here are a couple

Andreja started a series od tutorials

and Xanthi has one as well.

http://jointedlove.blogspot.com/2013/10/making-alpaca-wig_25.html

There are others if you do a search as well.

Spoke too soon....

Atarlia

Thank you

buttercupbabyppg
Hello there ^^

Firstly Suri is more like human hair, where Huacaya is fluffier and more coarse.

It depends on what you have in mind for your style of wig. I think it may be harder to find longer Huacaya fiber as well, because of the way it grows.

The 07 head will average about 1.5 oz. More or less depending on how thick you want your wig.

When you start with raw you do need more as there is a lot of fiber loss. From brushing,and washing.

Since you will be doing a short wig, you will most likely need less fiber for the wig.

Personally even if you want a shorter wig I would suggest 6-7 this way you can compensate for the loss of length from cutting and gluing.

Ahhhh so pretty! Wow I love some full and real the hair looks. I assume the length of the fur is a limitation though for longer haired wigs? Would love to have a short haired version for Miku one day. Do they get as tangled as normal wig hair? It seems like they stay a little better, as the hair seems thicker.

Amara77
Hello there ^^

Ahhhh so pretty! Wow I love some full and real the hair looks. I assume the length of the fur is a limitation though for longer haired wigs? Would love to have a short haired version for Miku one day. Do they get as tangled as normal wig hair? It seems like they stay a little better, as the hair seems thicker.

It can be difficult to find long fiber, and when you do it's pricey, but it's not impossible. I have done a few waist length SD/DD sized wigs though.

It does get pretty tangled and can get frizzy. But you are able to get more styles than with a regular synthetic wig, because it is softer more natural fiber.

It is really close to human hair in the way it acts, and needs to be treated. I make a spray to get rid of that Frizz! Just like with my own hair.

Spoke too soon....