Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Gunter

Has anyone here moved states, and if so got any tips?

Gunter

Sorry for the long title, but at least it gets the question right out there!

I'm currently in the process of leaving CA and moving to OH~ And for anyone who's had to drive themselves from one great distance to another I'm curious to know if you have any tips?

I admit I'm quite paranoid and thus it is taking all my spare time outside of my full-time job just kinda planning/packing for the final big haul. I just wanted to see if anyone could assist me with any possible tips or tricks. I've been readin' up on stuff as much as possible but I find personal experiences usually dawn the best ideas.

Again, excuse the wordiness, but I do sincerely appreciate anyone who can throw in an idea or two to help smooth out this trip, and maybe take advantage of this to also tell the story of your trip! :>

Cauldroness

I've moved states, countries, even continents!

Plus I've also done a long of long-distance driving as part of vacations (WI-CO, WI-AR, WI-NC, WI-NY, WI-TX all come to mind).

Make sure you stay hydrated and take frequent bathroom breaks. Dehydration affects your judgment and concentration, and makes you a worse driver (more likely to get into an accident), so staying hydrated can help keep you safe. Also keep a few small snacks in the car, as low blood sugar also makes it very hard to concentrate on the road, especially during long straight stretches.

Stop in the middle of the day to have a proper meal. Sit down. Get something "real" in your stomach (ideally not fast food, but if fast food, something healthier like a Subway). Walk around a little bit. Stretch.

Research where you'll encounter tolls and make sure you have a way to pay for them. Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio all use an E-ZPass/I-Pass system, for example. Having a toll pass can save you HOURS because you can drive straight through the tolls rather than stopping and paying each time. You can get a toll pass in advance, even if you don't live in the state. In Illinois, you can also buy an I-Pass at most of the Oasis stops.

I personally don't like driving more than 8-10 hours in a day, so I'll usually figure out how far I can get in that time and then book a cheap hotel so I can get some good sleep and start the next day refreshed. Plus, it helps me stay motivated -- "okay, only one more hour of driving until the hotel, that's all I have to do" is far easier to handle (mentally) than "well I guess I'll stop when I'm exhausted, am I exhausted enough to stop now or should I keep driving...?"

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

BeyondTime

I live in California and I've done a fair amount of long distance driving on vacations, so I would add a few things to what Cauldroness has above.

Get some printed regional US maps and highlight your route on them before you start. If you plan on stopping in major cities get maps for them as well. You can almost always get a map at a local gas station, but they will be more expensive. Your local AAA office may have them cheapest.

Make sure your car is in good shape. The last thing you want is to have a breakdown in the middle of Nevada, Utah, or Arizona. I've done this twice, and trust me it sucks. Little things like making sure the tires, belts, hoses, and spark plugs are in good shape can save you a lot of money in the long run. Have all the fluids checked and filled. Have your brakes checked. You will be crossing steep grades on your trip.

In small towns the service stations may have to order the parts for your car, and it make take a day or two for the parts to get there. They also have you over a barrel, and may charge (read this as gouge) you accordingly.

Having a cell phone and AAA membership is a very good idea on a long distance trip. Cell coverage can be spotty or non-existent in a lot of places on the interstates, but if you need help it's better to have one than not. This is especially true when you are driving through desert regions. There are long stretches of road between service stations in these places. For that reason it's always a good idea to fill your gas tank regularly.

You will almost certainly end up with roaming charges if you use your cell on the interstates, so you may want to contact your cell service and see if they have a service plan that includes roaming under your normal rates. Don't count on data service on a smartphone on the interstate. Paper maps and guides are king.

AAA has a travel guide on their website that can help you identify motels and rest stops along the way, and sometimes AAA membership will get you a discount. The AAA discount spots will be identified in the guide. I believe you can still get these guides as books from AAA. I would suggest getting one so that you have a list of possible rest stops if your plans unexpectedly have to change.

Along trucking routes if you drive till you are exhausted you may find that all the cheap motels are filled with sleepy truckers and have no vacancies; meaning you are now exhausted and have no choice but to keep driving. Think about making reservations well ahead of your trip and stopping for the day when you get there even if you are ahead of schedule.

This probably goes without saying, but don't pick up hitchhikers. This really applies at any time and in any place, but if you are driving through Nevada on the major highways you will see occasional warning signs not to pick up hitchhikers because you are passing a maximum security prison faculty.

I would suggest having some basic emergency supplies in the car if you can. You can use this as a guide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Essentials It's for backpacking, but these basic survival supplies are just as valid in the home or car pretty much at all times.

Keeping couple extra quart bottles of motor oil in the correct grade for your car might be a good idea as well.

There is some really beautiful countryside in the Great Plains States so you should enjoy the trip as long as you plan well. Take time to enjoy the countryside if you can afford the time. I had breakdowns in the desert in both Nevada and Arizona, and I'm still here to tell the tale. If something bad happens don't panic just think your way through to a solution.

In my experience small town America is generally safe and the people are nice, but still don't leave valuables in your car when you stop for the night. My sister had a very good camera stolen while at a rest stop. Keep stuff like that in a backpack and take it into the rest stops with you.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Cauldroness

If you're like me and haaaaate paper maps, you can also go entirely paper-less if you have an updated GPS (map updates installed within the last 6 months or so). I haven't used paper maps since the early 2000s and I've had no issues wheeling about the entire country using only GPS. I've even driven all around California, Nevada, and Arizona -- those big empty deserts -- without a single paper map or guide and didn't get lost once thanks to a trusty GPS unit.

There are definitely lots of spots without cell coverage, but GPS works anywhere except underground (like tunnels or parking structures).

Minuette

Depending on which route you're taking/where you're moving to in Ohio, you won't have to worry about any tolls. That I'm aware of there are no toll roads on the major roads on I-71/75 North between the Kentucky border and as far north as Columbus/Dayton.

I made the move to Ohio last year around this time and I'd definitely advise a travel buddy. My drive was only 11 hours since I was coming from Alabama AND I got to stop halfway through because I had family at the halfway point, but yours is obviously going to be much longer. Make sure it's someone you can stand/can stand to be around in silence.

Speaking of maps, something that helped me, and I don't know if it will help you as I'm just a weirdo, is I basically took a map before I even left, as soon as I knew where we were moving to, and plotted out my route. That way even if my GPS (my phone) stopped working, I could know which major city I was headed towards next and find my way there that way.

If you want a story though, we went through the Smoky Mountains to get to Cincinnati, and I swear we got lost in the mountains for like two hours. We were supposed to arrive around like 7, we didn't end up arriving until almost 10! There was a suspicious amount of mountain in that drive, too, so we probably got abducted by aliens or something. Avoid the mountains. :C

Besides that I think everyone else pretty much covered it. If you're gonna be in the Cincy area hit me up when you get here! Though no one ever really moves to Cincinnati except me, haha.

EDT: I just read the Cleveland thing in your Location haha, HIT ME UP ANYWAYS!

Anna-neko

is driving from Mass to Florida count as long distance... we used to do that when I was a kid, and this was before GPS was a thing, but AAA would actually give you a map which plotted your full course page by page....

Having at least one physical map (print out from Mapquest or Google if you have to!) is good too

anyway, my only useful tip nobody else covered - soundtrack! Load up your phone or ipad or whatever with ALL the music you like, or maybe an audiobook version of whatever you've been looking forward to reading, or hell, maybe overload on podcast audio-dramas!

Radio gets really crap if you drive more than an hour, and having only silence (or pushing FWRR SCAN button every 10 min) makes the time really drag

BeyondTime

anyway, my only useful tip nobody else covered - soundtrack! Load up your phone or ipad or whatever with ALL the music you like, or maybe an audiobook version of whatever you've been looking forward to reading, or hell, maybe overload on podcast audio-dramas!

Radio gets really crap if you drive more than an hour, and having only silence (or pushing FWRR SCAN button every 10 min) makes the time really drag

I'd add extra batteries or car chargers for any electronics like an ipod or GPS. In generally it's always a good idea to have a low tech backup navigation aid like a map, but I get that from backpacking where not being able to find out where you are can be life or death. Backpacking I take map, compass, altimeter, GPS, and a PLB, but on the interstate if the GPS dies you can always hit up a gas station for a map or batteries.

Also keep in mind California does not allow you to have headphones on in the car. You can use the single ear type handsfree cell phone earbud, but fill both ears and you will get a nasty ticket. Other states may have similar laws. Basically being able to hear the road and your car is a safety matter.

When I was 19 and drove from NM to CA in a 74 Dodge with no radio I took a boom box, and it does help a lot to have music. Radio will be very hit and miss. You may not get reception in the mountains, and you may not like your options unless your musical tastes are really broad. Pop/rock stations should be on the air everywhere, but you may find a lot more country channels out there when you leave CA.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

K-2

If you stop at a motel overnight, a car packed to the gills is an invitation for a break in. A windowless van or a small enclosed towed trailer will not show potential thieves what you're offering. It might be a pain in the rear, but taking your valuables out overnight can give you peace of mind. I wouldn't hurt to find out what your insurance will cover in such a situation.

MVSig.jpg

Marilyn

Things I would do:

Bring baby wipes. Because after several hours of driving we don't all smell fresh as a flower, and if you have to change a tire or do some other quick car maintenance, you'll be very glad you have a way to clean yourself off when you're done.

Bring a gallon jug of water. It's a good amount and takes less space than a case of bottles of equivalent volume (take one smaller drinking bottle for convenience, refill as needed).

If you pass a checkpoint, comply with the officers but DO NOT consent to a random car search. Some of these guys sit out there for hours and see less than a handful of cars each day. Spending one or two hours doing everything short of dismantling your vehicle breaks up the monotony for them, I doubt you'll feel the same. Answer their questions, show ID, but when they ask if they can search your vehicle "just because", politely decline. (If they find "probably cause", that's completely different and I suggest using your cellphone to call a lawyer.)

If staying at a motel look for well-lit properties; upper floors are preferable, make sure your door has a deadbolt, and make sure entry points (for example bathroom windows) are secured. If someone knocks at the door unexpectedly, do not open the door. Call the front desk to verify if it's an employee or to report suspicious activity.

Stay alert, rest often, and have a safe trip!

Dollfie Dream Cheryl || Smart Doll Ebony Futaba

Order a doll… empty the bank account… feel like so.

Anna-neko

Also keep in mind California does not allow you to have headphones on in the car. You can use the single ear type handsfree cell phone earbud, but fill both ears and you will get a nasty ticket. Other states may have similar laws. Basically being able to hear the road and your car is a safety matter.

I'm mildly assuming the headphones line was triggered by my bringing up soundtrack... Most phones or ipods nowadays can be connected to the car's radio via couple ways (literal cable for USB or cassette adapter, bluetooth, etc...)

so you phone is plugged into lighter for charge, and headphones jack plugged into radio!

BeyondTime

I'm mildly assuming the headphones line was triggered by my bringing up soundtrack... Most phones or ipods nowadays can be connected to the car's radio via couple ways (literal cable for USB or cassette adapter, bluetooth, etc...)

so you phone is plugged into lighter for charge, and headphones jack plugged into radio!

All correct. I mentioned it because years ago I did a ride-along with the San Mateo Sheriff's department, and the first person the officer pulled over that night was wearing headphones. It's something that seems like common sense, but not everyone knows, and those earbuds are an almost ubiquitous part of the iphone experience nowadays.

Gunter

Wah, I hadn't expected to get so many replies! Thank you everyone for all the good advice. Some of it I actually had planned and some I didn't even consider, so I'm happy I made this thread.

As a note I'll be lucky to not be doin' the drive alone as my BF is going to fly out so I'm not completely miserable when driving (I'm the only one who knows to drive a manual so I'm still the only driver hahah).

One of the things I will mention is I am doin' the trip planner through AAA. I have the insurance so I may as well use their services. I don't actually own a GPS either so I find it a handy tool with this. I may purchase a cheaper one for this though. It'd be handy when I have to adjust to the new area. (I've only been there a few times and I can't say I know it real well still...)

@Minuette

I'll definitely try to take the time to hit ya up when I'm there. I got a bit before I make my final haul to OH. :>

BUT SERIOUSLY. I'm super impressed with what everyone said, and I'll definitely be taking a lot of this into consideration. I'm amazed so many folks have had to make these long hauls as well, it is really quite impressive! So, again, thank you. I really appreciate all the advice. <3

As a random question because I know nothing about GPS's...would anyone have a recommendation on a brand or anything? I fear my car is too old to even have gotten a chance to have an built-in GPS. XD

Skaf
As a random question because I know nothing about GPS's...would anyone have a recommendation on a brand or anything?

I've had good experiences with Garmin GPS units in the past but I haven't used them in years. That said, if you have a modern smart phone then you could plot the route on that (and get audio through your car stereo if your car has a line in connection or bluetooth). There's also holders for phones so you can mount them like a GPS unit as well. As people have mentioned you might be out of cell coverage in places and this solution would stop working in that case but you'll likely only have one possible direction to go if you're on the interstates anyways. This may or may not be cheaper than buying an actual GPS depending on your data plan.

K-2

Motorists got along without GPS units for nearly a century so don't feel obligated to make the purchase, especially if you have a smart phone with GPS features/apps. In those places where you can't get a signal your trusty AAA paper map should serve you well. I'd guess in most places where you can't get a signal there aren't many people and not much turning to be done. You might save the money for the unforeseen, which could happen along the way.

Edited by Guest

MVSig.jpg

Cauldroness

I have an ancient Garmin Nuvi 750, which I think was released back in 2009...? I've also noticed that most rental cars (I travel a lot of work, some months I spend more time driving rental cars than my own personal vehicle) also use Garmin for the GPS.

My Garmin is still going strong all these years later. It's not my primary navigation tool (I use my phone for that), but it's been a wonderful back-up when I'm outside of cell range. You can get used-but-functioning Garmin units for pretty cheap on eBay if you want one. Otherwise, a lot of the newer units come with "lifetime maps" so you don't have to pay to update your maps.

For me, if you think about how many maps I would have had to buy to replace my GPS in the 7 years that I've had it, it's been a huge money-saver, but that's really only if you plan on using it in the long term. (Also, again, I haaaaate paper maps, so I'd be willing to pay just about anything to avoid them.)

BeyondTime

I've exclusively used hand held Garmin units when backpacking and they are good quality. A smartphone is a good backup to a paper map, but as mentioned before only if you have roaming covered at your normal rate. When my family took two cars on a trip from California through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Idaho we used cells for car to car communications. The total use was maybe 30 minutes and I paid a little over $100 in roaming charges.

Alternatively you may be able to prepay for a set amount of roaming data and voice minutes at a much lower rate. If you don't use them you are out the money, but if you do it's a saver. I did that before going to Europe two years ago just to avoid obscene rates for international roaming. I used my data a lot over there so it paid off. I never did manage to find the champagne and chocolate bar I was searching for in Brussels though. They were supposed to have chocolate covered Wasabi, and I wanted to try that.

Not to mention the entire premise of a menu of champagnes paired with chocolate.

I'm the opposite of Cauldroness in the sense that I like maps. I even learned to read nautical charts, and at some point I plan to learn how to use an old fashioned sextant to chart my position. I'm not normal though, and modern car GPS are the wave of the future for good reason.

If you do go the route of paper maps just be sure the BF knows which end is up, or you may end up emigrating to Canada.

The Rocky mountains and the Sierra's are two of this countries greatest scenic wonders, so if you can manage it I highly recommend spending some time enjoying the scenery.

If you have the camping gear already you may find that staying in campgrounds where you can is a good deal cheaper than motels, but they will fill up in the summer time.

Gunter

I'm honestly a fan of a bit of both (Between a GPS and a paper map). I think it is good to have a paper reference, but I also think it is good to have something that can keep you aware while you actually drive. Fortunately, because I'm not alone, I essentially will have someone to act as a GPS.

I was merely curious because I have had issues with my phone charging in my car and I'd like something more reliable that can hold a longer charge than any smart phone constantly running a GPS app could haha.

Either way, thank you for the advice! Apparently Garmin is a good way to go if I do decide to put the money into the GPS. I admit being on the east coast has me pretty excited because the ability to do weekend trips to some of the USA's historical sites, as well as just major cities and the idea of havin' a GPS available once I'm comfortably able to do that is appealing.

The Rocky mountains and the Sierra's are two of this countries greatest scenic wonders, so if you can manage it I highly recommend spending some time enjoying the scenery.

If you have the camping gear already you may find that staying in campgrounds where you can is a good deal cheaper than motels, but they will fill up in the summer time.

I just wanted to say I love, love, love this idea. I hadn't thought about it before, but on my way we do pass quite a few places I'm sure will have camping sites and I've majorly missed camping as it has become harder and harder to make time for between just life being life haha. My BF is also very much a fan of camping so I've decided to make a point to aim for camping grounds instead of hotels--including having my AAA trip guide note all campsites along the way.

Also I'm lucky that he knows how to read maps (At least better than me) so luckily we'll be able to avoid bumping into the Canadian border. :P

Again, I seriously want to thank every single one of you for being so helpful and just giving me your opinions, and ideas of ways to make this trip easier. The longest I've drove at once is maximum 9 hours, so this is one hell of a haul in comparison. 37 hours total at best...

I'm not even including that I'll be teaching my BF how to handle a manual transmission as he unfortunately does not know and I'd prefer to not be the only driver. Luckily there are a lot of long empty stretches of flat land where I think he can easily handle it. :P Just has to get the car rolling and then it is easy from there!

Cauldroness

Lol, funny story... now I'm moving, too!

Thankfully we're just moving to the other side of the state, but it's funny because I had no idea that we'd be moving when I first replied to this thread and now I'm already scheduling apartment tours because we need to move in about a month...

BeyondTime

I admit being on the east coast has me pretty excited because the ability to do weekend trips to some of the USA's historical sites, as well as just major cities and the idea of havin' a GPS available once I'm comfortably able to do that is appealing.

I grew up in New Jersey, and they would teach us from books that had images of paintings of our founders doing important things. Then we'd get on a bus and drive for a bit and we'd end up standing in the very place depicted in the painting. Towns that have those spots go to great lengths to preserve them too. The town I grew up in had a few buildings that had been preserved exactly as they were in the 1700s.

The moldy desiccated crust of bread on a plate in Thomas Edison's lab was kinda gross though...

I just wanted to say I love, love, love this idea. I hadn't thought about it before, but on my way we do pass quite a few places I'm sure will have camping sites and I've majorly missed camping as it has become harder and harder to make time for between just life being life haha. My BF is also very much a fan of camping so I've decided to make a point to aim for camping grounds instead of hotels--including having my AAA trip guide note all campsites along the way.

As the weather is getting pretty warm make reservations if you can. Once school lets out for the summer many campsites will fill up, and this will go double for weekends.

jadepixel

Looks like you got tons of good advice!

Not sure if this was mentioned- I wanted to add something since I did an epic drive this time of year, 7 years ago now, between Dallas and Seattle-

Check the weather! Check it twice a day. When you're going long distances, it can change rapidly. Figure out if you need chains for areas you will drive through - there's still snowy bits and closed roads through May in some areas. It might be worthwhile to take an interstate route that will avoid steep, icy or isolated areas even if you lose some travel time.

Good luck on your move! Enjoy the journey ^_^

BeyondTime

Check the weather! Check it twice a day. When you're going long distances, it can change rapidly. Figure out if you need chains for areas you will drive through - there's still snowy bits and closed roads through May in some areas. It might be worthwhile to take an interstate route that will avoid steep, icy or isolated areas even if you lose some travel time.

That's actually a really good point. April to June is the peak Tornado season in many of the states you will be traveling through.

Gunter

I kinda dropped off for a second about this, but I just wanted to say my move was a success! I want to thank everyone again for all your great advice.

It actually went really smoothly and we pushed ourselves to manage it in 3 days! I'm tired, but unpacked and figuring out my life in Ohio. Took me a bit longer than expected due to my boyfriend's work giving him a hard time about the time off, but hey, still worked out.

Now just to figure out the fun process of getting a new license/re-register my car and all that fun jazz....

galatia9

Glad you had a good trip, Gunter! Hope you're settled in soon.

Linda S.

galatia9

DDH03 girl DDH07 x2 boys DDH06 girl DDH-05 x2 boys

DDH01 mod girl Saber Alter SqLab Tsubaki boy DDH-02 girl

Mio Honda Youmu Konpaku x2 boy twins

Also: DDS Lagla, Sheryl Nome, SmD Melody, SmD Eiji x2

amarilian

It's best to stop whenever you can, and often just to get fuel, for yourself and your vehicle. Viewing your route before hand can give you an idea of what roads you will be on, and which way you need to go.

These are the dolls you're looking for, no you cannot haz them they r mine:)