Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

sinclair

How to Tame Miku's Twin Tails?

sinclair

Okay, I've had Miku for almost 3 months now, and her hair is out of control. Being so dry in AZ it gets staticy and foofy (My wife's word for her hair when it does it. It seems fitting for Miku's hair too.). And so it gets all tangled and in knots. I bout the Tangle Teaser and used that to brush her hair, and after a long brushing, it's good, until I pick her up again, and then it's all over again becoming a mess after a couple more handlings. I did not get her to just look pretty on the shelf, she's my little girl and I like doing things with her, but if most of the time is just brushing, it'll get old fast.

Anywho, at the last Volks restock, I got the Wig Mist, Wig Oil Spray, and the Tenshi-no-Hairbrush. How do I use these to tame Miku's hair? Do I use the Tangle Teaser to get all the snags out then spay her hair with one of the sprays and brush it in? Do I use one spray to help untangle her hair and then the other to help keep her hair in place? When I get to her bangs, I know to use the Tenshi-no-Hairbrush, but again which spray to keep them where they should be?

I want to learn this correctly as I'll be getting Yaya for Christmas, and she also has long hair.

Jezrah

The wig oil spray is meant to give a little softness to a dry wig, so that will be for combing through to anti static. Then the wig mist is essentially just wig hairspray so it's meant to help hold a style that you put in.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

sinclair

So, the correct method would be to spray with the oil and brush it. Once the tangles are out and her hair is nice and straight, to use the hair mist and brush to keep it as I want it?

Jezrah

I would brush it out then spray the oil and comb it through. Let the oil dry, then style and wig mist. But wig mist may not prevent all retangles since Miku's hair is so very long. The oil should help with the static cling, though if it doesn't help enough you could try wiping the tails down with a dryer sheet. That will sometimes help with the static cling too.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

foo

I recommend not using wig mist on the twin tails because they're so long, just stick to the oil. Having had to deal with more than one girl with atrocious twin tails (curly long tails are the worst, but hey, I love twin tails), lightly spray some wig oil on the tails, and brush it through with the Volks hair brush. Don't put too much on at once because it will build up.

Wig mist is sticky stuff and it expires over time. It's good for locking a style in place (especially curls), but if you have to move the hair around, like Miku's really long tails, it's not going to help very long. And TBH I gave up and just keep Miku with a shorter wig. At least I can move her head around without the heavy tails pulling on it all the time

I want to learn this correctly as I'll be getting Yaya for Christmas, and she also has long hair.

If you're talking about Yaya's default wig, it's pretty maintenance free. It's not very long overall and the fibres are not prone to being frizzy (unlike the light fibres of the ForU wig I recently got). It's a really cute wig actually, it's like one big floofy curl, if that makes sense. Very soft. Miku's twin tails are more of a pain because each one is very long and not that thick as a bundle. Yaya's wig is just one simple bundle of hair. Just be careful because her wig stains unless you use a head cap.

sinclair

I love twin tail too, and Miku's are the best, when done right as I've seen in some photos. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it. Thanks for the hints as you have both of these girls. I'll try brushing her hair with the oil this week. But I will try the mist on her bangs as she just has a mop right now.

And as for getting a shorter wig for Miku, I've been seeing you photos on flickr, but not knowing it was you. Anywho, I was going to ask this week where I could get that shorter wig so that she could have it around the house. I really want twin tails for her that are that short, so I might get a couple and have my wife help me try to style one of them into tails. I'm not brave enough to cut the 2nd Miku wig I have to get short tails.

As for Yaya's wig, I did just get some head caps from Volks because I read somewhere that her hair stains. And a side, does her outfit stain too? Volks doesn't have the whole bodysuit in normal skin in stock, just the stocking (Which I have on hand. I do wish they had a semi-white stocking for Miku as I have the bodysuit.).

foo
Anywho, I was going to ask this week where I could get that shorter wig

That wig I actually picked up at Doll Point in Akihabara and it's only sold there. So if you want exactly the one I got it's kind of hard to get f^_^') It's actually kind of expensive for its quality, and the colour doesn't match her original twin tailed wig. But Miku does look really good in it, I just had to trim the bangs because they were a little messy at first.

And a side, does her outfit stain too?

For the most part, no. The only thing that stains is the red lining of the black top (the red straps around the neck don't stain). You can fix this well by washing several times, I don't have to worry about stains now. Really the worst that happened after she wore it for several months was that her nipples got kind of red >_>

FYI I found the SWS body suit looks better on a normal skin doll, than the normal skin body suit does :/ The normal skin body suit is strangely dark.

sinclair
That wig I actually picked up at Doll Point in Akihabara and it's only sold there. So if you want exactly the one I got it's kind of hard to get f^_^')

Figures, as it does look good, and the color is close enough for me around the house.

FYI I found the SWS body suit looks better on a normal skin doll, than the normal skin body suit does :/ The normal skin body suit is strangely dark.

Sigh, even more reason for Volks to make a SW stocking.

Nozomi02

There is a wig company that sells wigs in a color that's almost exactly Miku's default. I haven't ordered with them before, but from what I understand you need to go through a proxy.

http://jp.cotindoll.com/smartphone/list.html?category_code=ct158

Or, if you don't mind going a little darker, FMD's vintage green color is pretty close. I've been happy with the quality on those.

http://www.formydoll.com/m/view.php?number=1890

At home:

DDH-05: Kimiko

DD Snow Miku: Miss Yum Yum

Smart Doll Ivory: Yuki

Smart Doll Chitose

Smart Doll Eiji: Hotohori

DD Saber Extra

DDH-07/SmD Hybrid: Maki

Smart Doll Harmony

Smart Doll Twilight

DDH-10 MDD: Anzu Futaba

Smart Doll Crimson Kai: Takeshi

sinclair

Cotin Doll has a couple nice wigs that sure do look like Miku's color. But For My Doll's vintage green hair also looks really good and with so many different styles. And at $23 each (If that's really USD.) they are a bargain! Time to add to the wish list.

As for Miku's tails, I brushed one of them and used some of the oil in it. When I was done and it was dry it really didn't look much different than the other brushed without oil. So I wonder if I didn't use enough or what. I'll try it again and see. Worse case is I have to wash her hair to get oil out of it.

mayaiincho

Strange. I guess humidity does play a large factor in the wigs. I wash my girl's wig with just normal shampoo but I do also use separate conditioner after the wash and of course just standard conditioner also. Because I use water based pomade to style my girl's wig I give their wig a wash every so often also to remove the residue. My big issue with miku's wig is the black string used to tie her twin tails in place as its cutting into the wig. I can only imagine this is an oversight into their wigs production.

I just brush her hair on a normal bases and that usually keep her stuff very manageable. Though just be sure to use plastic brushed to decrease the static buildup of you aren't anyway doing that.

looking for - , Marisa Short Wig, full set Beatrice or default face + eyes & Sasara Fullset or default face + eyes.

sinclair

I got my hands on a Snow Miku wig and the first time I brushed it before putting it on Miku I tried the new wig treatment mist. Wow, what a difference! I need to wash Miku's old wig to get everything out of it, and then I'll use this new stuff on it. It does make the hair feel a little slick, but it gives it shine and no more tangles.

Edited by Guest

Trejkaz

So, this was a problem close to my heart during Miku Expo North America Tour, because I made the mistake of travelling with Miku in the default twintails.

I only use the oil spray, and it does an amazing job at the time you use it, but seems to vanish in less than a day, either into thin air or into the blanket I wrap her in, meaning that the next time she comes out of the bag I have to re-oil. On top of that, I think the bag moving around during flights must have brought knots back into the hair every time, because I found myself spending a couple hours each city re-brushing in the hotel after check-in.

I know a guy who does use the mist on his twintails and it's working for him. Personally I find the stuff horrible to touch though, so I would only use it if I were putting her on display somewhere where she was only being looked at.

I, too, own a few alternative wigs which I nearly always use instead:

• The short bob from the Mikuzukin set. Personal favourite, absolutely zero maintenance and being an official set, the colour is the same, and the length of the forelocks is the same, making it easier to style to look Miku-ish.
  • A straight hime cut wig from Volks which I picked up on impulse in Akihabara, I think at some point during Miku Expo Japan Tour. It's a bit of a lighter shade but still within tolerance.
  • A single floofy curl with one braid kind of thing, picked up from Cotin Doll when I was in Taipei for Miku Expo Taiwan and figured I had to at least visit.

All of these are infinitely less trouble than the twintails though, which are in storage at the moment. I had other troubles with that wig too, like it being so tight that I couldn't get it on without accidentally removing some strands of hair from the elastics. Never got the tails back in order again after that.

Mega Negi

I gave up and braided her twintails. Well, actually, I had a friend braid them. I don't trust myself. It solved most of the problems.

• Like 1