Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
seventhfonist

Orange spine?

seventhfonist

I received an Eiji today I bought from someone on eBay. He has some stains on his bust piece and I will treat those.

However, when I removed the piece I was shocked to find an orange spine. I thought they were flesh colored? This is my first smart doll and I'm still really new to the hobby.

I guess my concern is where this came from and why it's there? I still love him but I want to know more about him.

28311466303_3c676e336e_z.jpgUntitled by SeventhFonist, on Flickr

belpita

I can't really say, but I'm thinking that it is either a fake (the whole doll or just the spine part), or it's a replacement part because the original broke.

Daisy-chan
I can't really say, but I'm thinking that it is either a fake (the whole doll or just the spine part), or it's a replacement part because the original broke.

It's not a fake, the picture on the smartdoll online shop of the male tea USB hub torso has an orange spine. (https://shop.smartdoll.jp/products/usb-hub-torso-for-guys-tea-color)

My guess is that it might be prototype spine, or there were just a few spines randomly made in orange for some reason. If you are really that curious, I'd suggest trying to message Danny Choo and ask him about it.

seventhfonist

Thank you for the information. I'm not too overly concerned. I just wasn't sure what it was and was looking all over for some pictures and I didn't see that USB hub pic until you shared. Thank you! I adore him and I'm happy with him. Can't wait for some hand options!

Monty

My Kaito has a spine like this. I assumed it was because the boys spines are slightly longer than the girls as they are taller. Kinda weird, but you can't see it so it's no issue to me.

K-2

The Jeton splines existed before Smart Doll started employing them as doll spines. They have numerous uses in industry besides doll back bones. Since these parts are always hidden by the exterior vinyl, Smart Doll might have bought what ever was available to keep up with demand, rather than waiting for more of their custom color mix.

http://www.jeton.com.tw/en

MVSig.jpg

seventhfonist
My Kaito has a spine like this. I assumed it was because the boys spines are slightly longer than the girls as they are taller. Kinda weird, but you can't see it so it's no issue to me.

Thank you. I just wanted to check. It doesn't bother me either, but as I bought him used I just wanted to check and know more about him... and smart dolls in general I guess. ^^

The Jeton splines existed before Smart Doll started employing them as doll spines. They have numerous uses in industry besides doll back bones. Since these parts are always hidden by the exterior vinyl, Smart Doll might have bought what ever was available to keep up with demand, rather than waiting for more of their custom color mix.

That's good information. Thank you!

Sato

I can confirm my Eiji also has an orange spine and it appears to be the standard with him. nothing to worry about, only display Eiji seem to have flesh ones unfortunately.

belpita

Oh, that's really interesting! Thank you for sharing.