Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

koolgalblue

DDh-06!/KoolGalBlue Faceup progress!

koolgalblue

Thank you for the advice!! I seem to have a problem with symmetry I'll try and get more thin lashes on my next one, it's just hard because my current sealant has little to no tooth

I'm also currently using a mix of derwent and prismacolor pencils! Thank you so much for the advice! I'll try to apply it to my next faceup! I look forward to improving!

Currently at home: Kagamine Len, Kirito, 06 head, Akira head.

koolgalblue

weekly_faceup__9_by_koolgalblue-dbxb9e4.jpg

Hey guys! I'm back with another faceup! Sorry for the gap! I did a faceup for my resin boy last week, and figured it was off topic, but I did another for my Akira head.

As always, I'm always accepting criticism! It really helps out!

Astraea

I love seeing your progress! I really like the blushing on this one, it looks nicely applied. I think the eye makeup might look better applied closer to the bottom of the eyewells, but I think that's a stylistic choice.

Your symmetry is improving too, that's great! The eyebrows make her look more mischievous this time around.

koolgalblue
I love seeing your progress! I really like the blushing on this one, it looks nicely applied. I think the eye makeup might look better applied closer to the bottom of the eyewells, but I think that's a stylistic choice.

Your symmetry is improving too, that's great! The eyebrows make her look more mischievous this time around.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the comment!

koolgalblue

weekly_faceup__10_by_koolgalblue-dc0urpf.jpg

Sorry I've been gone so long! I've been focusing more on my resin face-ups for the past little bit, but I'll try to update this more often!

As always, feedback is always wanted!

Thank you for looking at my face-ups! It means a lot!

koolgalblue

Hey! Sorry I've been gone for so long.....but, I finally got around to doing another faceup!

faceup__11_by_koolgalblue-dc51vtt.jpg

Hope you enjoy it! It's actually my favorite so far!

As always, constructive criticism is wrlcome!

• Like 1

Sniiksnak
:o that looks so incredibly unique. The symmetry and asymmetry are nicely balanced. Absolute overall very attractive. The band-aid is adorable. I super want to see her all together!

koolgalblue
:o that looks so incredibly unique. The symmetry and asymmetry are nicely balanced. Absolute overall very attractive. The band-aid is adorable. I super want to see her all together!

Thank you so much!!

Monty

I've been following this. It's really cool to see the progress happening with each update.

I thought I had already replied once but apparently I forgot to - I would have mentioned that something was off about the appearance of the colour in that it looked 'grainy', but that has been reduced a lot on the newest one! The linework is getting much 'cleaner'. She also looks much more expressive!

The thing that stands out to me is the length of the lashes, they're a little dramatic but this could be your personal preference. I would say that the lower ones should be reduced a bit to make the top ones stand out more, as I personally think it makes the faceup look a bit too 'busy'. I like the idea of the bandaid, it's unique, but it is a little odd to have a 2 dimensional bandaid where everything else would be 3D (i.e. Clothes, wig)

Have you seen how it looks with eyes and a wig?

Anyway this might seem weird but seeing you working so hard and improving bit by bit kinda inspires me to try myself.

koolgalblue

Thank you so much!

I really, really love the dramatic lashes, but I do see what you're saying. The lower lashes do take a lot of attention from the rest of the faceup!

And I've only seen it with eyes in, as she's just my practice head so far. I'll try and see what she looks like today!

Thank you so much for the constructive criticism

You should try doing faceups though! They're so fun and kind of relaxing! I'd recommend everyone try doing one at least once!

cfx

Lashes are obviously a very subjective preference, but my personal feeling is that with too much on the lower eyelid gives a "I'm crying and my mascara has run" effect. That said, you're developing your own personal style for faceups which is of course a good thing.

koolgalblue
Lashes are obviously a very subjective preference, but my personal feeling is that with too much on the lower eyelid gives a "I'm crying and my mascara has run" effect. That said, you're developing your own personal style for faceups which is of course a good thing.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'm going to try a calmer look for the lower lashes with my next faceup

Thank you for the constructive criticism though! I really do appreciate all of the input! Without it, I'd probably be worse than I am right now

Astraea

I really love the natural look of the freckles, they're light and varied in spacing. Other than that, I can't really say anything that hasn't been said above already Keep up the good work, you're getting better all the time and developing your own unique style!

Another thing is, I've seen people make 3D bandaids out of some sort of putty or modelling clay (? Not 100% sure on what they used, or what materials are vinyl-safe exactly). If you wanted, something like that could add more dimension than drawing one on, and could be really interesting!

Lookame

I see a large improvement from your first one to now. Some of them I really liked and they really suited the head/others felt heavy handed around the eyes and brows. This one is unique with the band aid which is really cute however it appears heavy handed around the eyes. That being said I’m no pro faceup artist. I appreciate yhis thread and seeing you progress

koolgalblue
I see a large improvement from your first one to now. Some of them I really liked and they really suited the head/others felt heavy handed around the eyes and brows. This one is unique with the band aid which is really cute however it appears heavy handed around the eyes. That being said I’m no pro faceup artist. I appreciate yhis thread and seeing you progress

Sorry for the long wait time! I've been too busy to check the fourm

But thank you for the constructive criticism! I really wanna try a lighter look with the next one!

Monty

I have seen people selling 'sticker sheets' of bandages/bandaids at Dolpa/etc - I've also seen people like elfgutz use real ones as well as otherstickers and stuff. Personally I'd be a little worried about the effects of the adhesive and whether it would leave some gross residue (unless you intended it to be permanent anyway). It's something I kind of want to figure out myself, but sticking things on dolls faces is always kinda tricky.

koolgalblue

Those sound really cool!!! But, like you said, id be worried that they'd effect the sealant in some way

Pastel_Prince

I love the line work on your faceups so much! I love seeing more realistic eyebrows on DD and that bandaid is so well drawn. The only thing I would change on that last faceup is drawing on the bandaid with different colors than the one used in the faceup, just because it blends in a little too much.

koolgalblue
I love the line work on your faceups so much! I love seeing more realistic eyebrows on DD and that bandaid is so well drawn. The only thing I would change on that last faceup is drawing on the bandaid with different colors than the one used in the faceup, just because it blends in a little too much.

Thank you so much! I personally love more realistic eyebrows as well! I'll experiment with more colors next time I try something like this! I just wanted to test something cute

ZetsuAi

Better than anything I could do. It looks super nice!

koolgalblue

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone, and sorry that I was gone for so long! I've been really stressed with school, but I have some free time, and I got two done!

faceup__12_by_koolgalblue-dc8o3z4.png?2

I hope you like this one!

koolgalblue

And here's my second one! I finally updated my Akira's faceup!

Honestly, I'm so proud of this one. I poured my heart into it. I really think she looks like her character now!

faceup__13_by_koolgalblue-dc8o4kz.png

Again, I always love constructive criticism!

I hope you enjoy!

cfx

On your last one you got a few comments that it was a bit busy. I think these look much better.

One suggestion is to fill in the area between the upper eyelashes and the actual eye hole so there is not remaining skin color there. I believe you did this on the Akira head but not the other one. It can lead to a slightly odd, or I saw it referred to as a surprised, look when viewing the doll from lower angles. This comment only applies to the top of the eye. On the bottom lashes, it's common and often a stylistic choice to do it with that "gap" even in anime, and on the sides it's very common on these dolls since you may want to create a visibly different eye shape than what the head default is.

I'd like to see a wig on your Akira to see the final result; I believe she will look very pretty.

On the other one, I think there's a little too much variation in symmetry between the lashes on the two sides, with the effect giving the right side a look like the lashes are heavier there. Just adding a little on the left side to balance it a bit better would fix that though.

koolgalblue
On your last one you got a few comments that it was a bit busy. I think these look much better.

One suggestion is to fill in the area between the upper eyelashes and the actual eye hole so there is not remaining skin color there. I believe you did this on the Akira head but not the other one. It can lead to a slightly odd, or I saw it referred to as a surprised, look when viewing the doll from lower angles. This comment only applies to the top of the eye. On the bottom lashes, it's common and often a stylistic choice to do it with that "gap" even in anime, and on the sides it's very common on these dolls since you may want to create a visibly different eye shape than what the head default is.

I'd like to see a wig on your Akira to see the final result; I believe she will look very pretty.

On the other one, I think there's a little too much variation in symmetry between the lashes on the two sides, with the effect giving the right side a look like the lashes are heavier there. Just adding a little on the left side to balance it a bit better would fix that though.

Thank you for the comment! The 08 head does look quite surprised there I'll have to fill those in better with my next faceup!

The 08 head I have is quite weird too, her eyeholes are incredibly thick....I'll see if I'm up to modding her...

And my Akira is quite adorable when she's all put together, I'll see if I can upload a picture, as I'm having quite the trouble with uploading pictures right now.

Monty

For the 8 I was gonna say that the thickness of the upper eyeline (? If that’s what you call it - the thickest black part directly above the eye) was too uniform and should maybe taper a little the closer it gets to the inner corner of the eye (the part closest to her nose). But I noticed that you did a better job at that on the Akira. I agree that this one is your best one - and it’s cool to see the progress when comparing it to earlier versions.

If you want further critique: the eye crease lines could still be a little thinner, and maybe the eyebrows need a second colour in there (a few lines of slightly darker purple?) however I am not a faceup artist and eyebrows are difficult regardless.

It really helps seeing the heads with eyes though - i like how the eye colour matches the Akira’s eyebrows - but I still wanna see her with a wig and body.