Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

koolgalblue

DDh-06!/KoolGalBlue Faceup progress!

Anna-neko

Wow, that is your best work yet!!

The gradient colors are wonderful, and kinda remind me of the light novel No Game, No Life artwork

have you thought of experimenting with thinner eyebrows next?

koolgalblue

Thank you both so much!

to Torino!

The 09 took an incredibly long time to get those gradients the way I liked them! I really do think she turned out quite cute, so thank you very much! And...I honestly really agree with you so much on the 08. There's just always something off whenever I look at most 08's and I really think it's just a difficult sculpt to work with

to Chise!

Thank you as well! And honestly, I really love the thicker eyebrows! I really like the colors I'm able to achieve with them, and I don't think I'll be trying thinner eyebrows a ton. I have been trying to make my eyebrows less 'extreme'

Currently at home: Kagamine Len, Kirito, 06 head, Akira head.

koolgalblue

I actually also have another faceup to add as well!

These pictures are going to be the same ones from the character concept thread, but I feel it's appropriate to post them here as well due to this being sort of a portfolio or a progress tracker for my faceups!

3d68b52b2b75d614aa403ca5f5d73edf-dcn99s6.png

82333c4f59f6ff53a190155b0bbe4bf5-dcn99p5.png

So, I'm honestly not super happy with everything in this faceup....If I were to adjust it or redo it, I'd put less white on the edges, as the edges of her eyelashes are practically invisible in photos! They show up fine in person, but they don't photograph well at all

As always, I'm always open to constructive criticism! I hope you guys have an awesome day!

Monty

Hm. I think the mouth on a 08 head stands out regardless but I think it stands out especially here because it’s kinda ‘blank’ compared to the rest of the head. There is a lot of work done around the eyes/eyebrows but at the mouth there’s not much there?

Maybe you could try putting some linework on either side of the mouth to enhance the expression some more? (Into a smile or more of a frown)

koolgalblue
Hm. I think the mouth on a 08 head stands out regardless but I think it stands out especially here because it’s kinda ‘blank’ compared to the rest of the head. There is a lot of work done around the eyes/eyebrows but at the mouth there’s not much there?

Maybe you could try putting some linework on either side of the mouth to enhance the expression some more? (Into a smile or more of a frown)

I've seen that done before on the 08, and I've even tried myself, but it never really seems to work for me I'll try with the next faceup I do!

cfx

For a long time I thought the DDH-08 was a head I just didn't like because of that mouth; as Torino mentioned further up above even Volks' painted heads with it don't look that good. But I've since seen some customs that I really like.

Look at the thread on that head here:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=11631

I really like how ramcoy's two girls look. The teeth add a nice touch but it's not just that. If you click through you can see larger versions of the pictures, and there's a little lining to extend the smile, some color variation to shade the inside of the mouth, and what I think may be the most important part, a painted lip at least on the lower side, which eliminates that kind of "sucking in" effect I typically see looking at this head.

That's pretty advance painting techniques I'm sure, and if you're not ready to try tackling all that yet or isn't what you want, look at DrifloonCazzie's girl at the bottom. It's painted much simpler, somewhat like you've done, but still has a little more definition I think because of the shading within the mouth and again a painted and glossed lower lip.

Since you're going for a more intense eyebrow and eyelash look, I think you need something to make that mouth stand out a bit more. Maybe try the lip thing, but with a more intense pink or red than the examples above, to sort of balance the face out better. You should also be able to get that shading inside the mouth by using a color darker than your base that is just a thin wash, which will naturally collect in the edges of the mouth to give that effect. In doing that, I think also a less intense base color inside the mouth is better, because too red or pink you can end up with a kind of "I've just drank blood" kind of look haha.

koolgalblue

I'll try painting her mouth with more detail next time! It's just impossible to do with pencils for me.....I'll try and fix my teeny tiny brush, but that's the most I can really do

Overall, I do think she looks really cute! I don't know if it shows in the pictures, but she does have painted teeth, and even those were a pretty big challenge for me! But, as I said, if I decide to repaint her in the future, I'll attempt to give the mouth more detail!

But, thank you very much for the constructive criticism!

koolgalblue

I just wanted to pop in to say that I've just listed my 09 head for sale on ebay! If you'd like to get her then that's where you can find her! PM me if you'd like the link as I'm unaware if I'm allowed to post it in this thread

koolgalblue

So...I'm back from the dead!!! 

I'm really sorry that I dropped off the face of the earth for a while! My family and I moved further up north, and then winter hit! So I wasn't really able to do any faceups in the meantime! But, I do have an updated faceup today! I really hope you guys enjoy it! 

So, this is an updated look for my persocom girl! I honestly love this faceup so much! It looks MUCH nicer than her previous one! 

As always, I'd really love some constructive criticism! It helps me grow my skills so much faster when people point out stuff I might not be able to see! 

3-20-19 pt1.png

3-20-19 pt2.png

cfx

I was actually thinking about you not too long ago.

Your pictures only show up pretty small, but what I can see is that:

You got better mouth and lip definition like I was discussing earlier.

Symmetry looks good.

You got a happier expression with the eyebrow shape; in comparison the previous one looks a bit like she is wincing.

koolgalblue
6 minutes ago, cfx said:

I was actually thinking about you not too long ago.

Your pictures only show up pretty small, but what I can see is that:

You got better mouth and lip definition like I was discussing earlier.

Symmetry looks good.

You got a happier expression with the eyebrow shape; in comparison the previous one looks a bit like she is wincing.

Thank you so much! I've definitely strayed away from the more upturned eyebrows in the past few months in favor of more relaxed ones, I honestly think they look much better in my attempted style! 

jazijaz

I just want to say that I love your style, it's refreshing and kind of unique. The way you make the eyebrows and eyelashes has become your signature, you are not afraid to try something new, I have never seen gradient face ups before. I love your Kira 😍  anyways, you inspire me to play around with my face ups too. My style is pretty basic and boring, I have 2 face ups to do but I wasn't feeling it, after seeing this I want to start something different so thank you for the inspiration and keep up the good work!

koolgalblue
47 minutes ago, jazijaz said:

I just want to say that I love your style, it's refreshing and kind of unique. The way you make the eyebrows and eyelashes has become your signature, you are not afraid to try something new, I have never seen gradient face ups before. I love your Kira 😍  anyways, you inspire me to play around with my face ups too. My style is pretty basic and boring, I have 2 face ups to do but I wasn't feeling it, after seeing this I want to start something different so thank you for the inspiration and keep up the good work!

Oh my goodness!! Thank you so much!!! I'm so happy to hear that I can help other people try out new things!! I'd love to see those when you do them!

koolgalblue

Wahoo!!!! I have a sorta more exciting update today! 

I have a new head!!!! I ordered her a little while ago, and I was finally able to do her face up yesterday! 

I honestly love how she turned out- but let's be honest, the 03 sculpt is adorable anyways! 

I'm also sort of thinking about opening up a custom doll head shop with her, but I'm sort of on the fence so far! 

Anyways, I'll stop rambling. As always, I'd LOVE some feedback as that's the easiest way to grow as an artist!

Thank you to everyone who stopped by to look! Have an awesome day! <3

Spoiler

Ignore this box, I clicked this on accident and don't know how to remove it! 

DDh03 4-7-19 pt 1.png

DDh03 4-7-19 pt 2.png

DDh03 4-7-19 pt 3.png

Edited by koolgalblue
  • Like 1

koolgalblue

Hey! Its been almost a month, but I'm back with another faceup!!!!! I'm honestly really happy with how I've updated her faceup! It's not a huge change, but I do think its a general increase in quality!

20190501_174604.jpg

20190501_174609.jpg

20190501_174630.jpg

20190501_175837.jpg

• Like 1

Moonsour

I've been watching this thread for a while and your progress is wonderful! I love your use of gradients and I look forward to seeing what you'll do next! All of your faceups have been very creative already, so I think with more and more practice you'll become top tier if you keep it up.

• Like 1

koolgalblue

Oh my goodness! Thank you! That means a lot!!

Yami Usagi

Deep down I've always wanted to try faceups & finally decided to go for it. I'm the kind of person who wants to get it perfect from the start and that kept me from trying in the past, so looking through your thread where you made drastic improvements and weren't afraid to share your progress from the beginning was really uplifting! 

You definitely have a style, and it's been very interesting to watch you refine it! 😁

• Like 1

werewolfisms

wow!!! from your first to your last faceup is such a great improvement!! your techniques are improving so much, i hope to see more of your works soon ^__^

• Like 1

spencer, he/him, doll dad to pero (DDH01) :classic_love:

koolgalblue
On 6/8/2019 at 4:05 AM, Yami Usagi said:

Deep down I've always wanted to try faceups & finally decided to go for it. I'm the kind of person who wants to get it perfect from the start and that kept me from trying in the past, so looking through your thread where you made drastic improvements and weren't afraid to share your progress from the beginning was really uplifting! 

You definitely have a style, and it's been very interesting to watch you refine it! 😁

Go for it! You can't start learning unless you start doing faceups! I was really scared for the longest time to post my work, but, the helpful people on this form really gave some amazing tips, and I really couldn't have progressed as fast as I did without them! 

On 6/10/2019 at 6:45 PM, werewolfisms said:

wow!!! from your first to your last faceup is such a great improvement!! your techniques are improving so much, i hope to see more of your works soon ^__^

Thank you! I'm a little tied up at the moment with summer classes and working, but I'm hoping to start on a bigger project soon! I think I'll try to use the money from when I sell my 03 to put toward it!