Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
risapi

is this a good sealer?

risapi

I read about this sealer Liquitex Matte sealer but I have no idea how to use it, I am thinking of it since I'm sensitive to toxic stuff. I was looking for alternatives from msc, but are these good on obitsu? I do have a obitsu I want to paint but need to figure out how to use a liquitex matte sealer

Elys

It's meant to be used in an airbrush but if you do, it's still recommended to use respiratory protection. It may not be toxic but those are still sealant particles in the air.. Ventilation is recommended eitherway. Sponging it on though doesn't need a mask but gloves are recommended and wash your hands well before/after use.

I've only tried the sponge technique on resin surface both on a head and some hands, and it went ok -- the texture is far less fine than that of MSC so watercolor pencils turned out quite grainy and not as sharp as I wanted. Pastels worked quite fine. I've yet to try with vinyl heads and acrylics though. It might play nicer with acrylics once the paint has dried, I don't think it should smudge then.

I used a flat ended brush to apply a little sealant on one side of a make up triangle sponge, brush it out evenly (the sponge looks wet, but the sealant isn't clumpy or liquidy). Then start firmy yet lightly tapping the sponge on the head, making sure to do it as straight up and down as I can (else it can smudge any pastel/pencil work you do). It will probably also take a few tries until you find the right amount of sealant VS tapping pressure/technique. I waited 7-10min between each layer if I remember.

Hope this was any help!

DD Crew Kano Custom DDH-06 ∙∙∙ 2B DDdy ∙∙∙ 9S DDb
Obitsu Crew Zhi Jia Custom Tan AP Type-M

【  Flickr 】【 Instagram Twitter

Bellatrix

I was actually wondering the same. I still have a few of the old MSC cans, but I was wondering what to do when they are over.

I think the tapping system is interesting, but I am worried the watercolours might fade, and I usually prefer a really smooth finish like the MSC's.

What exactly has changed, and why has people stopped using it?

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Elys
I was actually wondering the same. I still have a few of the old MSC cans, but I was wondering what to do when they are over.

I think the tapping system is interesting, but I am worried the watercolours might fade, and I usually prefer a really smooth finish like the MSC's.

What exactly has changed, and why has people stopped using it?

If you wet the tip of the watercolor pencil it won't fade quite as much, BUT the bigger issue I've had was the color bleeding..

Here's an example from the very very first time I tried this tapping method:

[Left is watercolor pencil+tapping | Right is MSC and watercolor pencils+acrylics]

The watercolor faded at above the tearducts, and the eyebrows bled like mad.

The cheecks are pastel which does fade with each tap, but pastel usually requires more buildup anyway.

ALSO the sponge will likely absorb some pigment -- so you need to change it every now and then.

risapi

Thought of going for msc at one point but chemical give me migraine is there other sealers out there

Elys
Thought of going for msc at one point but chemical give me migraine is there other sealers out there

Even with a properly fitted respirator mask? After spraying outside I keep the mask on 40-50 minutes and air out the apartment, while the toxic particles settle and the smell goes away. Sometimes I keep it on for the whole duration I work, if I need to seal a lot in between.

Vinyl seems to have less sealant options available than resin, MSC and Zoukei Mura being the best I think? Citadel Purity Seal has worked for some, but become sticky for others. Army Painter as far as I know becomes sticky. But in the end those are still as toxic as MSC and even with an Airbrush it's recommended to use a mask since they're still small particles. They might smell less than MSC though.

risapi

Hmm i may try msc but how do I use it weather wise summer it gets humid and rains in spring what is ideal