Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Elys

First faceup! ★ DDH-06

Elys

I recently got my first DD and while she came to me with a faceup I wanted to make my own. She's my first fully custom doll at all, all my others have a company faceup. I also manicured her hands. Below are also some in progress pics and detail shots!

WeSBh94.jpg

BLANK sculpt if anyone needs for mock-ups. I couldn't find a nice blank for DDH-06.

Before actually wiping her I tried to just paint over the faceup she came with, just to see how acrylics and pencils feel on vinyl. On the left is the paintover, on the right is what she came with.

First I made a mock up of what I sort of wanted to go for.

She ended up quite different but retained some things like the slightly worried eyebrows and smile.

00u63S8.png

Sketching the basic features with watercolor pencil.

qz7SjPB.jpg

Time for acrylics. It's much harder to correct than pencil so this was scary

Av0SrDo.jpg

Basic acrylic parts done, along with some pastel for the blush/lips.

esU91rB.png

After that I did a digital mock up of further details.

Again I didn't quite go with all of it, such as leaving out white lines at the upper lashes.

Her smile is also subtler than this.

zOd0Uuq.png

Further details with pencil.

mKQhYGU.jpg

I went over some parts with a black pencil, added white with acrylics and glossed her lips. Then she was done.

u65dEZ0.jpg

Olnt4oK.jpg

• Like 6

DD Crew Kano Custom DDH-06 ∙∙∙ 2B DDdy ∙∙∙ 9S DDb
Obitsu Crew Zhi Jia Custom Tan AP Type-M

【  Flickr 】【 Instagram Twitter

Mitsuna

Such beautiful and delicate work!!! This is amazing (´∀`*)

Elys
For being you first one, you did a great job!

Is super sweety and cool!!! Congratulations ^^

Such beautiful and delicate work!!! This is amazing (´∀`*)

First? Wow! She looks really nice and glamorous.

Thank you all so much!

I learned lots while working on her, I hope to bring more delicate & thinner lines to future faceups.

I wanted to paint teeth also but it proved a bit too difficult yet, just looked wonky. Mad respect to artists that make it look nice without modding.

Amber

I can't believe it's your first faceup, she looks beautiful. Thanks for showing progress pictures, I really like to see things like that. I like to see the steps and changes the dolls make. When you did the acrylic, did you water it down or thin it? I want to paint doll faces too, and I am curious in everyone's different methods

Elys
I can't believe it's your first faceup, she looks beautiful. Thanks for showing progress pictures, I really like to see things like that. I like to see the steps and changes the dolls make. When you did the acrylic, did you water it down or thin it? I want to paint doll faces too, and I am curious in everyone's different methods

Thank you! I've noticed there's not much about the process or tutorials on painting DD heads, and barely any videos like there are with BJD or MH/EAH heads. I actually got tips from a japanese blog where they used toothpicks dipped in thinner/water as well in order to do miniscule/sharper detail corrections than cotton sticks could and adopted that.

I used an acrylic paint retarder to thin it down and make it dry slower (though it's still so FAST I made most details at the end with pencil because it was less scary).

I congratulate you, it really is very beautiful. It has beautiful details and the fine and clean stroke. I love it! ^^

Thank you again!^^ I'll continue to do my best.

Amber

The toothpicks... that is a really smart idea! That is how I felt as well. I thought that maybe I was bad at searching, but I couldn't find a lot of information on DD faceups. I found a few videos but they are speed paints so I can't tell what is going on very well. Do you still have the link to the blog? It's okay if you don't though

She is so beautiful and you did such a lovely job, I am so impressed!

Cazzie_Bliss

I stumbled across this post only now so I am late to the party. This is so good for a first what even! I'm crazy jealous at how cute she came out X good job.

I'm going to be doing my first serious tryhard DD faceup in the next week or so and I'm freaking out about it but your girl is super cute.

1201080411_Signature4.png.d6bd2feda415abca0856a7c2e72df054.png                                                                                                     

Tiriaq

I feel like I recognize the style from someone recent faceup making on YouTube  :)

I wonder if I have the right pencils from modelling at home or need to buy a set

NozomiViolet

Wow she looks amazing! Great job! I wish my first faceup looked that good.