Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
risapi

What are types of better silk?

risapi

I want to know if anybody know types of silk to buy I bought this silk at Walmart and when you sew through it punctures really bad and makes big holes even I use fray stuff. I am hoping anybody could tell me what are better silk that is durable

Daisy-chan

Most, if not all, silky fabrics are difficult to sew with due to the exact reasons you're having trouble with. There's really not a certain type of silk that will prevent these issues, but I can give you some tips on sewing with silky fabrics, though please note that I've only sewed with silky fabric a few times for human sized costumes, and not doll clothes (which I'm assuming this is for) so I'm not sure how some of the techniques will transfer over...

You'll probably need extra fine needles and silk pins regardless of the type of silk you use and definitely make sure they're sharp or else there will be permanent holes in the fabric from pinning and sewing.

As for the fraying issue, I've heard of people using fusible interfacing on raw edges to help with that, and there's also french seams to prevent some fraying on finished garments.

Also, I've noticed you said you got the fabric at Walmart. To be honest, I've has some major quality issues with Walmart fabric. I suggest you try going to a fabric or craft store if you can, but it's understandable if that's not an option, just please be a bit weary.

risapi

I don't have a craft store near by at all but instead of silk are there shiny fabric that is suitable? I usually will buy online. If I knew a shiny fabric name or good beside silk feel free to recommend me some

Anna-neko
I don't have a craft store near by at all but instead of silk are there shiny fabric that is suitable? I usually will buy online. If I knew a shiny fabric name or good beside silk feel free to recommend me some

Do you mean satin? Chiffon? polyester organza? Taffeta?

Those are all fabrics that can be called shiny

risapi

Out of those what would be better? As long it's not stretchy

doll-mage

Silk is a fiber type, like cotton and polyester are fiber types. Generally, I avoid silk like the plague because it becomes extremely fragile when wet and can 'shatter' when it gets old. And it's ridiculously expensive; rayon and other synthetic fibers are much better and look just as pretty, IMO.

If you're using the word 'silk' to refer to a fabric weave, do you mean satin?

risapi

Well if there are shiny fabric in general is what I am looking for something strong or does make bigger holes like silk I have no idea what satin is and if I had a fabric store it be easy to see it