Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
cfx

Volks outfit theme discussion (Volks News 80 thread split)

cfx

Edit: I just realize I still put this in the wrong place--Baldylox please move this to General DD discussion--I just saw "clothing" and didn't realize I was in shopping.

In casual I like stuff like jeans or shorts more. I tend to mostly not like the frilly pastel blue or pink dresses that are what I think of as traditional doll clothing. I find I like them sometimes when they're not too frilly and don't have too many bows and such on them.

Yeah, the frilly dresses really are a perfect fit for their MSD / Dear SD style dolls. Not really my thing, and I it kind of bugs me that nearly every outfit sized for DDP has the sort of bottom you would expect to see on a small child. I'm not knocking it really, as I said it's a perfect fit for their 1/4 scale lines, so it has it's place. Iori and Yayoi are mid teens though, and they really cry out for the type of stuff you would expect to see on a 15 year old.

Regular shorts, jeans, or a skirt in DDP size would be nice. Maybe now that the body is becoming generally available they will start making stuff more appropriate for the age group the doll is supposed to fit instead of it mostly being 'also fits.'

Hopefully they do this. I was looking to see what Volks had for DDP recently since I've become interested in Yayoi and/or Iori, and for stuff I'd like there's practically nothing. They started listing compatibility on the MSD/MDD clothing only since the body was made so it's also a guess as to whether older stuff fits, but it's pretty clear anything with pants doesn't. Skirts and dresses are safer but I don't know that they all fit either.

I've read the Azone AZO2 clothing fits but I don't know if there's exceptions or how well it fits.

For now, I'm about where if I bought Yayoi I'd have nothing for her to wear.

Edit: There really is one big reason I like the more normal clothing instead of costumes. It's fun to dress characters from anime or games in something casual that is not their official getup. Plus with all my iM@S girls I really want to give them stylish street outfits. I originally got into DD when I bought a Kos-Mos thinking she would go into a display case wearing her game outfit, and she never wears it. It's always street clothing I put on her. I put one other outfit on her and I was hooked on changing their styles up.

I agree with the general idea though I have no issue using costumes as well for it. One of my currently-floating heads is Neris. I didn't care about her outfit so the head alone was perfect for me plus it's a slightly special head which one day I'll reveal here. Yet OCs aren't my thing either so in my mind she will still be Neris, she'll just be Neris after she retired from saving the world in Sega RPGs.

Since I am not crazy about many of the default iDOLM@STER outfits, when I manage to get Takane and whoever else it'll probably be clothes they wear when not being idols too.

Edited by Guest

BeyondTime

I have two dresses, the Twinkle Star sets, a T-Shirt, a Ruffle Shirt, thigh high socks, their defaults, and one pair of lacy pantsu; all shared between two DDP. Yayoi has never worn her default. Two sets of shoes other than the default / stage outfit pairs, with one more pair on the way.

I agree with the general idea though I have no issue using costumes as well for it. One of my currently-floating heads is Neris. I didn't care about her outfit so the head alone was perfect for me plus it's a slightly special head which one day I'll reveal here. Yet OCs aren't my thing either so in my mind she will still be Neris, she'll just be Neris after she retired from saving the world in Sega RPGs.

Since I am not crazy about many of the default iDOLM@STER outfits, when I manage to get Takane and whoever else it'll probably be clothes they wear when not being idols too.

I have some costumes like the white tiger sets, and the priestess outfits, plus all the default sets. The costume sets just hardly ever get used, so I think twice about them. The default sets that gets used the most are the my two Rin's, and most likely Yuriko's will be.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx

I have two dresses, the Twinkle Star sets, a T-Shirt, a Ruffle Shirt, thigh high socks, their defaults, and one pair of lacy pantsu; all shared between two DDP. Yayoi has never worn her default. Two sets of shoes other than the default / stage outfit pairs, with one more pair on the way.

Shoes are probably a little easier to find ones I like since Volks often makes a MDD variant of the same shoes they have for DD as they did with those red shoes that you're waiting for. Here's a pair of shoes still in stock at Volks that I just bought the DD version of so I like these:

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992414140&version=en

The Twinkle Stars clothing pair I like, but they're like a lot of the extra iM@S outfits in that I don't really like them enough to buy. The defaults I don't like because of that pink material that I'm always griping about lol; if they were made of something else I think they'd be cute.

Being curious now, I just went through the section for DDP clothing that's on Volks Japan. I really only found two things I like enough to buy. There's this plaid dress:

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992416632&version=en

And this military-style costume outfit (which is sold out):

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992415154&version=en

An older MDD costume I'd want that maybe fits is the wind fairy:

http://www.volks.co.jp/dolpa33/sumika_dc/

I have some costumes like the white tiger sets, and the priestess outfits, plus all the default sets. The costume sets just hardly ever get used, so I think twice about them. The default sets that gets used the most are the my two Rin's, and most likely Yuriko's will be.

For me the costume type outfits were from the beginning a big part of what was appealing to me about these dolls and made them different from what my previous mental image of a doll was. I'm not sure if I'd be into the hobby if those types of outfits weren't available. While as it ended up I only have DDs, before I entered the hobby I spent a fair amount of time looking at the Smart Doll stuff (because at the time I really respected Danny Choo) and one of the things that didn't appeal to me there was how normal all the clothing mostly was. My thought was kinda like "if it is something I can see real people walking around wearing, it's boring"...though I've changed my mind on that to a degree I still don't value the casual clothing the way I do the other stuff.

BeyondTime
The Twinkle Stars clothing pair I like, but they're like a lot of the extra iM@S outfits in that I don't really like them enough to buy. The defaults I don't like because of that pink material that I'm always griping about lol; if they were made of something else I think they'd be cute.

Most of the iM@S outfits they've made are kind of meh, honestly there are much better looking outfits from the franchise they could produce. The huge exception to that is the Christmas outfits. Hands down some of the nicest looking clothes they have made.

I would get Twinkle Star for my DD/DDS iM@S girls if they made it in the correct size. I also kind of feel like they need to make Wild Strawberry for the newer 765 Pro girls.

Have that one, and it's perfect on Iori.

Also have the white one with polka dots and it looks great on Yayoi.

For me the costume type outfits were from the beginning a big part of what was appealing to me about these dolls and made them different from what my previous mental image of a doll was.

Some of them are definitely interesting, but it always seems to boil down to paying more for a doll outfit than I pay for my own clothing, and then not using it much because it's so specialized. With the normal clothing sets I usually get the ones whose parts can be mixed and matched with other stuff I have to create something unique.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting they aren't nice looking outfits; lots of the costume outfits have a nice appearance. Seeing Rin and Haruka wearing those gear sets makes me regret not getting them. I'd really want the wig Haruka has on to go with them though. She'd probably end up wearing that set for a few months. XD If it still on Volks USA early next year I may grab it.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx
Most of the iM@S outfits they've made are kind of meh, honestly there are much better looking outfits from the franchise they could produce. The huge exception to that is the Christmas outfits. Hands down some of the nicest looking clothes they have made.

I would get Twinkle Star for my DD/DDS iM@S girls if they made it in the correct size. I also kind of feel like they need to make Wild Strawberry for the newer 765 Pro girls.

Everyone must like those Christmas outfits and agree on the others; Mandarake pricing has those two at 20K yen each while most of the iM@S outfits are cheaper than original retail. Since they were holiday-themed, perhaps Volks also assumed they wouldn't be popular and made fewer of them. I voted for them in the poll.

Have that one, and it's perfect on Iori.

Also have the white one with polka dots and it looks great on Yayoi.

Oh yeah I like that dress too; I missed it looking through that list.

For me the costume type outfits were from the beginning a big part of what was appealing to me about these dolls and made them different from what my previous mental image of a doll was.

Some of them are definitely interesting, but it always seems to boil down to paying more for a doll outfit than I pay for my own clothing, and then not using it much because it's so specialized. With the normal clothing sets I usually get the ones whose parts can be mixed and matched with other stuff I have to create something unique.

Yeah I spend more on doll clothing and shoes than my own clothing, haha. Plus I've had to get most of the costumes from Mandarake and many of them are higher than their original pricing. Since I've got some complete or partial sets like the Lady Thief/Archer/Wizard, there is some mix and match possibilities as there would be with the different Gear outfits. One nice thing Volks does is usually everything is in muliple pieces and layers so you can mix stuff or only use parts of outfits for a different look.

For an example of that, Charming Peridot is another of the steampunk style costume outfits; this blog shows it with various pieces removed; the basic shirt and shorts is a relatively normal looking outfit:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/teaoevo/archives/1808752.html

Everytime I look at that I think I need to get that outfit as well.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting they aren't nice looking outfits; lots of the costume outfits have a nice appearance. Seeing Rin and Haruka wearing those gear sets makes me regret not getting them. I'd really want the wig Haruka has on to go with them though. She'd probably end up wearing that set for a few months. XD If it still on Volks USA early next year I may grab it.

Oh I know you weren't saying that. Everyone has preferences for a style for their dolls, or I like to think of it as what world they're living in. Like Torino dresses his Luka, Miku, and Rin in the girly pastel stuff and while I think it's pretty and his photographs are great it's not my personal vision for what I want my own dolls to look like.

BeyondTime

Everyone must like those Christmas outfits and agree on the others; Mandarake pricing has those two at 20K yen each while most of the iM@S outfits are cheaper than original retail. Since they were holiday-themed, perhaps Volks also assumed they wouldn't be popular and made fewer of them. I voted for them in the poll.

The only thing that I think exceeds that is Rin's school uniform, and I mostly think that because it's a really simple outfit, so the price markup is just absurd. I'm guessing though it's because it represents Rin's look more than the one she comes with, and Shiburin is super popular.

Since I've got some complete or partial sets like the Lady Thief/Archer/Wizard, there is some mix and match possibilities as there would be with the different Gear outfits. One nice thing Volks does is usually everything is in muliple pieces and layers so you can mix stuff or only use parts of outfits for a different look.

That can be hit or miss. Like with this outfit, the corset has a giant bow affixed to the back. I don't mind it as a part of the full outfit, but I'd prefer it was a separate piece. As it is it limits the options for changing the outfit up a bit.

p08b.jpg

cfx

The only thing that I think exceeds that is Rin's school uniform, and I mostly think that because it's a really simple outfit, so the price markup is just absurd. I'm guessing though it's because it represents Rin's look more than the one she comes with, and Shiburin is super popular.

Probably so. If it's the same as the one with the doll rerelease, Volks may have also not made as many...I don't know why, other than it just seems to be the case. Santa Saber's outfit is hard to find and expensive too.

Ranko's black goth dress is 25K or so. Offhand I can't remember if there's any others.

Since I've got some complete or partial sets like the Lady Thief/Archer/Wizard, there is some mix and match possibilities as there would be with the different Gear outfits. One nice thing Volks does is usually everything is in muliple pieces and layers so you can mix stuff or only use parts of outfits for a different look.

That can be hit or miss. Like with this outfit, the corset has a giant bow affixed to the back. I don't mind it as a part of the full outfit, but I'd prefer it was a separate piece. As it is it limits the options for changing the outfit up a bit.

p08b.jpg

Yeah, that's true. The Miku 2020 red outfit is a single piece too I believe.

The outfit you show brings up another point. Volks claims DD compatibility with a lot of these outfits that are really sized for SD16. They'll list them as DD L bust only and DDdy, using the bust to take up the space in the blouses that are really too large. I just happened to be looking at a blog showing this outfit yesterday; here it is on Takane:

https://nyarurat.at.webry.info/201605/article_4.html

(Click the pictures twice for large versions.) The shirt is so big and poofy on her; it looks ok but not like it does on Volks SD modeling it. Here it is on another DD showing that if you don't fiddle with it carefully after putting it on it looks pretty sloppy:

http://ruilucia.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-74.html?sp

Of course this is true for some other Volks outfits, but Designers Collection, where most of the costumes come from, in particular all seem to be made with SDs as their primary market.

BeyondTime

Ranko's black goth dress is 25K or so. Offhand I can't remember if there's any others.

Yeah I've seen that dress on Mandarake occasionally, but never look for it. There is no way my Ranko would ever touch that dress. The material looks too much like the Saber Maid dress.

The outfit you show brings up another point. Volks claims DD compatibility with a lot of these outfits that are really sized for SD16. They'll list them as DD L bust only and DDdy, using the bust to take up the space in the blouses that are really too large. I just happened to be looking at a blog showing this outfit yesterday; here it is on Takane:

(Click the pictures twice for large versions.) The shirt is so big and poofy on her; it looks ok but not like it does on Volks SD modeling it. Here it is on another DD showing that if you don't fiddle with it carefully after putting it on it looks pretty sloppy:

Yeah, I buy SD16 outfits to put on my SD 16, and never really think of them as a DD option. The SD16 torso really is much bigger than the DD torso. The bust alone from breastbone to shoulders is maybe 20 - 30% larger than a DD. Don't have a DDDy to compare to though.

On a side note that wig's style isn't bad on Takane, but I don't like the color. Finding wigs with her overall hairstyle, or that could be boil permed to match her style, isn't too hard, but not when you add in her bangs.

Of course this is true for some other Volks outfits, but Designers Collection, where most of the costumes come from, in particular all seem to be made with SDs as their primary market.

SDGr outfits should be fine as long as the DD is an M bust. SDGr is maybe around 1/4" taller, but otherwise it's very close to DD M. In point of fact the flat heeled SDGr might not be any taller than a DD. I've never swapped Bell's legs. She came with the regular legs as an option, but you have to restring her to swap them out with the high heeled legs. They really should make it so you can just swap the calf / foot part out.

cfx

Yeah I've seen that dress on Mandarake occasionally, but never look for it. There is no way my Ranko would ever touch that dress. The material looks too much like the Saber Maid dress.

Is the Saber Maid one of the ones where if you touch it you get dye on your hands that then transfers to the doll? I know the Sasara black dress does this; Archangeli has a youtube video where she shows this happening. Since I've experienced that with a pair of stockings I got from Taobao, that more than anything else is what I want to avoid and I'm terrified of Volks mostly-black outfits like the maid ones because of it. I like the Noir Maid set:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/dollfie/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=8498

But I'm afraid of it.

Yeah, I buy SD16 outfits to put on my SD 16, and never really think of them as a DD option. The SD16 torso really is much bigger than the DD torso. The bust alone from breastbone to shoulders is maybe 20 - 30% larger than a DD. Don't have a DDDy to compare to though.

On a side note that wig's style isn't bad on Takane, but I don't like the color. Finding wigs with her overall hairstyle, or that could be boil permed to match her style, isn't too hard, but not when you add in her bangs.

Yeah, I thought I'd like that color on her but I agree. A very light lavender purple I know can work because sometimes the art looks like that and there's a figure with it colored like that (whether it's intended to be an actual hair color or a lighting effect on the silver).

SDGr outfits should be fine as long as the DD is an M bust. SDGr is maybe around 1/4" taller, but otherwise it's very close to DD M. In point of fact the flat heeled SDGr might not be any taller than a DD. I've never swapped Bell's legs. She came with the regular legs as an option, but you have to restring her to swap them out with the high heeled legs. They really should make it so you can just swap the calf / foot part out.

For outfits that are on Mandarake, I've started paying attention the the package photo label for Designers Collection at least. Just the item listings on Volks can be ambiguous to me with what an outfit really is since some of the ones that are really SD16 will also be listed as compatible with SDGr. What I've noticed is Volks puts an SD logo on the Designers Collection and that logo is either SDGR or SD16 and that seems to be the real outfit size. As example two outfits in that Azurite Blue line, the one you have the picture of and another one:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/DetailPage/item?itemCode=1055456765&lang=en

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1066613950&lang=en

While I don't have a SDGr to compare, somewhere I found pretty detailed measurements for SDGr and DD bodies (probably on DoA but I can never find anything on the site so I can't find it now) and everything did seem very close to me as I recall.

Gabriel

Of course, I skew hard over towards the cosplay/dressy-formal side of the spectrum. My tastes also heavily lean towards the options for the SDs.

Some sets are better than others. For instance my DD Dy Cynthia wears that Azurite Elegant set with fair frequency. Admittedly, I'm a bit sloppy with helping her get dressed, but I've always thought it looked pretty good on her. That's not one of the outfits where I feel the fit is iffy.

The recurring problem I've noticed is sleeves. Even when I take into consideration the sleeves are supposed to have a bit of poof to them, they're always a bit long. It was really apparrent when Cynthia was in her Queen of Nightmare set a while back. Another one where sleeve length really jumped out was in the White Rose High School set, as I really had to work with the sleeves so Cynthia's hands were even visible. Most of the time it's not that bad though.

cfx
Of course, I skew hard over towards the cosplay/dressy-formal side of the spectrum. My tastes also heavily lean towards the options for the SDs.

I think our tastes have a lot of similarity and overlap.

I suspect the SD16 outfits work a bit better on DDdy compared to DD. From the body dimensions in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44

Bust is 26.5 vs. 25cm for DDL, waist is 16 vs. 14cm, and hips are 27.5 vs 23cm, so it's not just the bust being larger but the rest of the torso is too. Of course, it's always not that simple since Volks outfits often have the different loops to put hooks into for the different sizes, and they're not consistent between outfits on that.

Sleeve length I know can be an issue especially with some types of outfits that don't look good if you try to bunch them up a bit. For that though I've noticed I can usually find out how a particular outfit fits by searching for it on the Japanese blogs of Volks and individuals because if I can find a picture of the outfits on a DD, no one seems to try to hide that part so I can usually tell.

Since I don't have a DDdy and likely won't for the forseeable future as the body doesn't work for any of the characters I'm making custom dolls for and the only limited I like enough to possibly buy is Sasara who I'd only get with a rerelease, I try to really check on the SD16 outfits. I know if they have what are supposed to be tailored fitted skirts (or pants) they're unlikely to actually fit nicely on DD other than DDdy, no matter what Volks claims.

BeyondTime

Is the Saber Maid one of the ones where if you touch it you get dye on your hands that then transfers to the doll?

No, it's the one where if the doll stands near it, or looks at it intently, she gets stained all over.

That one looks pretty safe. It's got white inner pieces, and appears to be lined with white.

For outfits that are on Mandarake, I've started paying attention the the package photo label for Designers Collection at least. Just the item listings on Volks can be ambiguous to me with what an outfit really is since some of the ones that are really SD16 will also be listed as compatible with SDGr. What I've noticed is Volks puts an SD logo on the Designers Collection and that logo is either SDGR or SD16 and that seems to be the real outfit size. As example two outfits in that Azurite Blue line, the one you have the picture of and another one:

I usually don't go for anything labeled SD16/SDGr thinking of it as only for my DD. I kind of assume that if I can't see myself putting it on my SD16 then it will be useless to me if it doesn't look right on DD. With that said, I think this is like with MSD and DDP; some SD16 / SDGr outfits might work if the outfit doesn't contain essential pieces that only look good on SD16.

Like this dress can probably work on DD L, but I am not as sure about DDS L.

http://www.volks.co.jp/dress/image/1707/dress1707_p04b.jpg

The skirt has an elastic waist which is small enough to make it ride up on a DD's hips properly. It's going to look a bit longer in the legs on a DD. The corset part is definitely L bust, but is a bit elastic and uses hook & eye. If needed it could probably be tightened a bit by undoing the ribbon lace that does up the back and adjusting it to be tighter, or you could probably stitch extra loops for the hooks onto the outfit.

I have new outfit coming in for my Ami, so when I change her out of this I plan to try it on Miki and Takane.

I'd love to put it on Chihaya, but...

RRideSD.jpg

Side Note: This image is a good example of how Volks L bust is just too big for the character. Maybe it would work for Azusa, but it's too large for Miki and Takane. L Bust really should be something reserved for characters from shows like High School DxD or Ikki Tousen where breast sizes are just absurdly large on purpose.

This one will certainly work on DD M.

http://www.volks.co.jp/htd_kyoto13/sumika_lpp/

It's lined with white, but it is laced with a black ribbon so it is probably dangerous without one of coolcats body stockings under the dress. You could completely hide the upper part of the stocking since the bust part itself is safe, but the doll's side is going to need some protection.

Another example of problematic fit would be this outfit.

http://www.volks.co.jp/dolpa37/image/p05b.jpg

The skirt rides a bit low on a DD's hips, but that might be fixable with some simple stitching. I can't recall if it's snap or hook and loop, but either way you can probably tighten it up easily. The bigger problem is that the top rides above the lower edge of the bust. It's positioning is perfectly fine for an SDGr, but on a DD the separation between the bust and lower torso is exposed right below the top. You can pull the bottom edge of the top down a bit, but then she looks like a little girl trying on Mom's bra.

It just doesn't look good on a regular DD torso, but it would look perfectly fine on the unitorso.

I guess one nice things about how Volks does things is that each of their lines really has it's own appeal. I really do tend to go for the Black Label stuff, White Rose stuff, and also some of the Pink Label outfits. With Designers Collection I'm very particular, and the ones I go for tend to be period outfits as opposed to costumes.

cfx

Is the Saber Maid one of the ones where if you touch it you get dye on your hands that then transfers to the doll?

No, it's the one where if the doll stands near it, or looks at it intently, she gets stained all over.

That one looks pretty safe. It's got white inner pieces, and appears to be lined with white.

It does, from that standpoint. I wonder about the possibility of it transferring to hands though. Here's that video I mentioned:

It's not the unlined dress staining the doll that's the most worrisome to me; it's the fingerprint stains on the doll. I've had this same thing happen to me already with a pair of lined pantyhose I got from Taobao, that I've mentioned elsewhere. In my case I was wearing blue nitrile gloves and after I saw the stains the fingers on the gloves were also stained but I hadn't been paying attention to that.

Because it's such a common anime trope I would like to have a maid outfit but I don't like them enough to put up with a stain disaster from one. I might should've got one of the brown ("mocha maid") outfits when Mandarake had them as they look good and are probably less dangerous.

I usually don't go for anything labeled SD16/SDGr thinking of it as only for my DD. I kind of assume that if I can't see myself putting it on my SD16 then it will be useless to me if it doesn't look right on DD. With that said, I think this is like with MSD and DDP; some SD16 / SDGr outfits might work if the outfit doesn't contain essential pieces that only look good on SD16.

I'm not buying anything Volks doesn't claim also works on DD. But I've tried to find pictures of anything I am interested in on DD. If I didn't buy the SD outfits at all it would cut out probably half the stuff I am interested in. I am generally avoiding the true SD16 outfits unless I can find pictures that convince me they truly fit DD well.

Like this dress can probably work on DD L, but I am not as sure about DDS L.

http://www.volks.co.jp/dress/image/1707/dress1707_p04b.jpg

The skirt has an elastic waist which is small enough to make it ride up on a DD's hips properly. It's going to look a bit longer in the legs on a DD. The corset part is definitely L bust, but is a bit elastic and uses hook & eye. If needed it could probably be tightened a bit by undoing the ribbon lace that does up the back and adjusting it to be tighter, or you could probably stitch extra loops for the hooks onto the outfit.

I have new outfit coming in for my Ami, so when I change her out of this I plan to try it on Miki and Takane.

Yeah most of the corset stuff it seems really depends on whether they put all the sets of loops on them and whether they're very adjustable via any lacing they have. For a dress like that one if Volks claims it fits SD(16) but only DDL/DDdy then they're cheating in what "fit" means; using the bust to fill the top of the outfit but the corset isn't actually going to fit the torso, since SDs don't have that kind of bust-to-waist proportions.

I mentioned this in another thread but think it's relevant to bring up here...here's the Dolpa page for Lady Thief/Wizard/Archer:

http://www.volks.co.jp/htd_nagoya5/sumika3.html/#smk01

Notice compatibility--Lady Thief and Archer are SD, SD13, SDGr, SD16, DDS(SS/S/M/L), DD(S/M/L), DDdy and Lady Wizard is SD13, SDGr, SD16, DDS(M/L only), DD(M/L only), DDdy

Lady Archer and Lady Wizard were rereleased as a result of the last Dollfie The Best voting:

http://www.volks.co.jp/htd_kyoto11/sumika_dc/

Notice compatibility--Lady Thief is now SD, SD13, SDGr, SD16, DDS(SS/S/M/L), DD(SS/S/M/L) and Lady Wizard is now SD13, SDGr, SD16, DDS(M/L only), DD(M/L only)

SS was probably missing on DD originally because it didn't yet exist. But DDdy were removed on the rereleases. Did Volks change the outfits or just decide they don't really fit DDdy well enough? I have all three and Wizard and Archer are the rereleases, so I might be able to guess when I look at them all like if there's differences in the hooks/loops compared to the older Lady Thief. They did change the barcode number on them but I don't know that means anything.

I'd love to put it on Chihaya, but...

RRideSD.jpg

Side Note: This image is a good example of how Volks L bust is just too big for the character. Maybe it would work for Azusa, but it's too large for Miki and Takane. L Bust really should be something reserved for characters from shows like High School DxD or Ikki Tousen where breast sizes are just absurdly large on purpose.

Poor Chihaya (not because her bust size is bad in any way but because it upsets her).

Volks uses DDdy for properties like Ikki Tousen and it makes sense because DDdy has a bust shape that basically doesn't occur in nature. DDL looks natural enough, it's just large. Maybe they need a size between M and L. Maybe they just think what they have is good enough to cover most characters which is understandable both from a business standpoint and that dolls are an interpretation of a character, more than scale figures are. From your picture Takane should be larger than Ritsuko who if Volks made would likely be M.

As an aside, I buy scale PVC figures and a pet peeve of mine is how the characters that are already busty it seems the majority of the time the sculptors decide they're just not large enough and exaggerate it in figures. For example you can't buy a figure of Selvaria Bles that looks like she actually does in Valkyria Chronicles; all of the Dragon's Crown Sorceress figures exaggerate her proportions even over the art style...it goes on and on.

This one will certainly work on DD M.

http://www.volks.co.jp/htd_kyoto13/sumika_lpp/

It's lined with white, but it is laced with a black ribbon so it is probably dangerous without one of coolcats body stockings under the dress. You could completely hide the upper part of the stocking since the bust part itself is safe, but the doll's side is going to need some protection.

I considered that one but it's a bit too frilly for what I prefer.

Another example of problematic fit would be this outfit.

http://www.volks.co.jp/dolpa37/image/p05b.jpg

The skirt rides a bit low on a DD's hips, but that might be fixable with some simple stitching. I can't recall if it's snap or hook and loop, but either way you can probably tighten it up easily. The bigger problem is that the top rides above the lower edge of the bust. It's positioning is perfectly fine for an SDGr, but on a DD the separation between the bust and lower torso is exposed right below the top. You can pull the bottom edge of the top down a bit, but then she looks like a little girl trying on Mom's bra.

It just doesn't look good on a regular DD torso, but it would look perfectly fine on the unitorso.

That is one I considered a while ago, and I came to the conclusion it's a very poor fit on DD.

Pic on Volks Dreamy DD blog:

https://ameblo.jp/blog-dd/entry-12278140080.html

The skirt looks bad. I'm guessing it doesn't have enough taper for DD so it rides the hips yet is huge at the waist. I've read the unitorso has slightly different measurements which makes sense as it doesn't have to accomodate the joint so it might be a bit better. It looks better but still far from perfect on DDdy:

http://open.mixi.jp/user/11932392/diary/1960653333

https://nyarurat.at.webry.info/201705/article_8.html

At the very bottom of the second link you can see a similar red and black outfit that seems to fit a little better. This pic:

https://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/022/131/94/N000/000/001/149615511042084010179_DSC_0318s.jpg

I ended up going for the first one on this page, which I think I like better anyway and it fits DD pretty nicely:

http://www.volks.co.jp/htd_kyoto13/sumika_dc/

Pics on DD:

https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/iriiri68/17539564.html

Pic from foo:

Vermilion Melty

Really, foo's pictures have sold me on a lot of things. It's where I first saw Lady Wizard and wanted it, and I think it's the main reason I want Rin V2.

I guess one nice things about how Volks does things is that each of their lines really has it's own appeal. I really do tend to go for the Black Label stuff, White Rose stuff, and also some of the Pink Label outfits. With Designers Collection I'm very particular, and the ones I go for tend to be period outfits as opposed to costumes.

How they categorize stuff does seem to make some sense, because while I look at everything I find most of what I want is in certain groups, mainly it's all Designers Collection, Tenshi no Koromo, and LPC Blue and a little of Black Label. I know when the voting was going on for the different categories, I couldn't really find things I liked enough in White Rose or LPC Pink Label to vote for. I believe the straw hat I ordered in the last group is White Rose and it'll be the first thing I have from that line.

I think Tenshi no Koromo and LPC Blue Label are perhaps kind of catch-all categories because TnK is the DD-specific clothing that's always shown modeled on DDs and may or may not have any SD compatibility at all, and LPC Blue is where I think all the extra stuff ends up like individual clothing items and socks.

BeyondTime

It does, from that standpoint. I wonder about the possibility of it transferring to hands though.

Saber Maid is made from really strange material. It's some synthetic fabric, that is almost spongy in how it feels. I have never put it on one of my dolls. It came with my Saber Lily, and I put it in a box and never once thought of using it. The only other thing that I have gotten from Volks that stained from contact is Chihaya's wig.

I can't speak to that particular outfit, but I do have a number of other black Volks outfits, and none of them have stained from finger contact. I wouldn't dress a DD in them without protection, but I haven't had any touch issues.

Poor Chihaya (not because her bust size is bad in any way but because it upsets her).

I like Chihaya just as she is. I had her on a DD body for awhile to see if the head to body scale felt better, but it was an SS bust DD body. Normally if I change the bust size it's to make the doll look more like the official art. Some dolls look great with smaller busts though. Like Takane looks awesome with an S bust, and I think that has to do with normalizing the body proportions in a way that allows you to focus more attention on her face.

Maybe they need a size between M and L. Maybe they just think what they have is good enough to cover most characters which is understandable both from a business standpoint and that dolls are an interpretation of a character, more than scale figures are. From your picture Takane should be larger than Ritsuko who if Volks made would likely be M.

That exactly what I think. I've posted this idea before but they need something like an M+ for characters like Miki and Takane. Something that is bigger than M, but isn't as oversized as their L. The second reason I want to see this is because SS/S/M clothing sizes really don't work. They used to do more SS/S & M/L, but that really doesn't work either. If they had an M+ they could do SS/S & M/M+ then just leave L off on it's own. I get there is an economics to not making three bust sizes for special release outfits, but as it is now SS/S are the outcasts of the outfit world.

As far as Takane and Miki, I totally agree they are larger than M, but not by as much as a Volks L. M would be closer to their official art proportions than L.

The skirt looks bad. I'm guessing it doesn't have enough taper for DD so it rides the hips yet is huge at the waist. I've read the unitorso has slightly different measurements which makes sense as it doesn't have to accomodate the joint so it might be a bit better.

Yeah looking at those pictures reminded me why I haven't put that outfit back on a DD.

Really, foo's pictures have sold me on a lot of things. It's where I first saw Lady Wizard and wanted it, and I think it's the main reason I want Rin V2.

I've said this before: Volks should hire foo to do their Doll Promo photos.

mainly it's all Designers Collection, Tenshi no Koromo, and LPC Blue and a little of Black Label.

My bad too, I meant Blue Label not Black Label. I get stuff from Black Label, but not as often. I also don't really go in for the Pink Label Lolita outfits.

Gabriel

Now that Volks News 80 is online, I see that they have Luka in the Queen of Nightmare set on page 139. How'd they deal with the sleeves? Well, they rolled the cuffs up, of course!

It looks like she might be in a bodysuit. The doll in the Moon Night Witch set next to her is definitely wearing a bodysuit, which is kind of strange because that outfit is pretty safe. They just needed some tights under the stockings they have her in, which aren't safe at all. It's the first time I've ever noticed them using bodysuits in promo images.

I just thought it was interesting.

If anyone wants an unsolicited opinion, the Moon Night Witch set is very nice. The corset and sometimes the blouse can be multi-purposed. For a DD, the Queen of Nightmare set isn't all that good. The dress itself is all one piece and really long. At best you could possibly multi-purpose the jacket, but I haven't found any good combos for it.

cfx
Now that Volks News 80 is online, I see that they have Luka in the Queen of Nightmare set on page 139. How'd they deal with the sleeves? Well, they rolled the cuffs up, of course!

Haha, I didn't notice that. It doesn't really go with that outfit either.

It looks like she might be in a bodysuit. The doll in the Moon Night Witch set next to her is definitely wearing a bodysuit, which is kind of strange because that outfit is pretty safe. They just needed some tights under the stockings they have her in, which aren't safe at all. It's the first time I've ever noticed them using bodysuits in promo images.

Yeah both are in bodysuits; it points them out. Maybe Volks is just trying to sell more bodysuits?

It could be they're showing how you can make bodysuits look like they're a sheer part of an outfit. On Luka, they added the Gothic Choker necklace which covers the top of the suit, and on the Moon Night Witch* the cuffs cover the ends of the sleeves. Maybe they are implying the bodysuits bulk up the DD bodies just a bit so SD outfits fit better...probably not.

As far as which particular outfits stain and which don't, that's something Volks is never going to admit.

If anyone wants an unsolicited opinion, the Moon Night Witch set is very nice. The corset and sometimes the blouse can be multi-purposed. For a DD, the Queen of Nightmare set isn't all that good. The dress itself is all one piece and really long. At best you could possibly multi-purpose the jacket, but I haven't found any good combos for it.

I appreciate the comments. I've liked the witch outfit since I saw someone's pic of it here on Saber but didn't buy because I figured it was a stainer and also that it would mostly just be useful for Halloween, and didn't actually think about the pieces being separately useful. I wish the hat they have wasn't so mega-huge though.

Also useful to know those socks stain; I had just assumed they were safe because they are so similar to the plaid style ones that foo has mentioned didn't stain--the ones Sakuya is wearing in his pic here:

Wigs

I also seem to recall he said he washed them three times first though so maybe that is the difference, or maybe the material just is that different.

I don't have the pair shown in the magazine, but I have the ones foo has, the floral pair and the ones shown with this outfit on the website page:

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992416816

Haven't done anything with any of them yet though.

The magazine refers to the Moon Night Witch as the Magical Happy Skirt Dress. However, they already have something else called that so maybe that is just an error:

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992412337&version=en