Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

hellFlower

Girls' Frontline - ST AR-15

hellFlower

hello everyone! thought i'd finally make a post here...

if you saw/remember my introduction post you might have noticed that i wanted to make a another girl from the same series called TMP. well, after some um-ing and ah-ing i realised that i wouldn't know who to pair with her, so i looked to some of my other favourite girls and eventually ended up at AR-15. with her i can easily amass an army of vinyl girls which is neat. 

here's are some rough plans for her (incoming doll bits):
spacer.png

ideally i want to do her MOD3 outfit (largest one in image), but it's fairly complicated so i'll either be doing her Literary Girl outfit (right) or her original outfit (left). her LG outfit is mega easy since the majority of it is buyable, and her original outfit is relatively simple to sew as well. i sketched out a little breakdown of her outfit on a reference page from her artist LIN+
spacer.png

you probably can't read my handwriting but it's mostly materials and little design details and stuff like that. one thing i have no idea how to do with this outfit are her weird socks, but i guess i'll figure it out eventually? i already have her wig, or at least one that will do until i either make or commission someone for a custom wig. i did dye it to the right colour though, which is a little concerning with the vinyl, but i think only the head cap part is what i have to worry about though, so easily fixable.

now all i have to do is wait... for the ddh-10 head to come back in stock... or maybe get one secondhand, but straight from volks would be easier since i already need new eyes and a wig cap for her. since i already have her torso, i might make her battle dress in the meantime.

if anyone has any tips or advice i'd be happy to hear it! and if you know anywhere i might be able to find extremely small plastic buckles... i would very much appreciate it if you would share

• Like 1

Heshiko

I can't help you on the plastic buckles, but when it comes to firearms for dolls, I do have a shop you may find interesting if you're looking for some extra detail for your girl's namesake: 

https://goatguns.com/collections/miniature-gun-models/products/miniature-ar15-m4a1-charky

This place makes decently priced 1/3 scale firearm models with the correct plastic/metal distribution, good finish, and some moving parts (bolt, charging handle, trigger, magazine and even a few dummy rounds - perfect for action poses). They also have functioning picatinny rails and scopes, foregrips, etc. Not sure if they ship internationally but you can probably check with them. 

I've bought two rifles from them and they're perfectly sized for my AZO2 girls or my DDS, that said that may put them a bit large for an MDD.

tumblr_ppog0hDiUs1tfcta2o1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

kct

Besides that, there's also the Trumpeter and Easy Model M16/M4/AR-15 series. The only difference is that the former is a model kit (requires assembly), while the latter is basically the same thing but fully assembled. They have less details than what @Heshiko suggested, but they could be obtained for cheap at times and is widely more available (if you're lucky, even locally via brick and mortar stores selling plastic models). I would suggest to go with the former since you're already planning to modify the base rifle into something representative of what the T-doll carried. Hobby Easy has these on sale right now for a discount: https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/lscxjat5urvw7qw6knm4.html (they're based on Hong Kong though)

On the other hand you'll have a much easier time if you go with either M4A1 or M16A1 😗

Edited by kct
  • Like 1

hellFlower

ooh thanks for the suggestions you two! i didn't actually think about using a model kit before, would definitely save me the hard work of modelling something so complicated. unfortunately though the link @Heshiko gave doesn't ship to Australia (cute girl by the way), so i'll have to go with the Trumpeter kit if i go with that option. i'll definitely have a look at my local hobby stores and see if they have anything.

and you're certainly right there @kct... i know i'll eventually do M4, so at least i know that her gun is pretty much sorted.

on a side note, i did actually attempt to make AR15's dress! it's more of an experiment on what fabrics i should use and how i should contruct it though... i know now that i need a thinner fabric than what i was using, i've separated the dress into four sections, and i'm also omitting the wierd little armpit scoop in favour of a simpler and much more easier to sew design. i will still finish this one i've made though so she will at least have something to wear when i've got her all put together.

Tira

Hmm... the one thing I might suggest is considering a 50cm Parabox body for her.  Her design looks a little older/leggier than the 45cm Parabox body.  Plus, if the guns are 1/3rd scale, 50cm is possible more accurate in scale; 50cm maps to 150cm in height (around 5'), whereas 45cm would be only 135cm (4'5").  Though the 45cm body would work better if you're planning on using her with 1/4th scale dolls or accessories.

hellFlower

yeah, i definitely do feel the 50cm body would fit her better aesthetics wise, but i do prefer smaller dolls and like you said all my other dolls are 1/4 scale so i can share stuff between them. i am okay with her looking a little out of scale though, i feel like it might be kinda cute if her gun is oversized lol.

while i'm here i will actually say that i've found another head! i remembered that obitsu actually have their own heads... and it turns out i actually like the 50-04/mafuyu head more than the ddh-10... which is great because it's cheaper and in-stock! it looks good on parabox's 40/45cm bodies too which is nice. i've actually already gone ahead and bought one!

hellFlower

the head finally came in today!! i can't believe how big her head is compared to my other dolls... she's mega cute though! the first thing i did was give her a quick little faceup! it's certainly not my best, but it turned out better than i expected my first anime styled faceup to be!

here's an awful photo of her: KbBDqiH.jpg

there's a lot of mistakes and she's not very symmetrical but she is still darn cute. i'll definitely give her another faceup that more accurate to how AR-15 actually looks before i put her on a body, but this will do for now.

here she is with her ratty wig + mdd bust:

1n7CsTE.jpg

that fringe? i hate it. it won't flatten down no matter what i do. this wig also seems to be slightly too small? i have another wig from the same place as this one, and that fits fine, so i'm wondering if dyeing it shrunk it somehow? it's not like this is her permanent wig anyway

anyway it's looking like be able to order her body fairly soon! i'll also be getting a temporary pair of eyes since she doesn't have any right now, and there's no point in ordering anything from volks if all i'm getting is a pair of eyes. that said, even though this head is supposed to fit 20mm eyes, i feel like 22mm would be better fit, at least for volks eyes. the pair i got for tmp almost fill the entire iris part of the eye and on this head there's still a ton of white showing... parabox eyes are pretty cheap, so i'll just order both sizes and see what i like better. plus, you can never have too many eyes!

• Like 2

hellFlower

hello everyone! it's been a little while but... i finally have a body!! apparently i have no self control and i couldn't stop myself from buying another head from volks so i ended up getting the body a lot later than i thought i would. the body i actually ended up buying was a 50cm body! i'd noticed over my month of stalking mandrake that they sometimes mark bodies as being taller or shorter than what they actually are, and since this was actually a boy body there weren't any tell-tale signs of what size it actually was... so i took a gamble. it was pretty darn cheap and dammit i was tired of waiting! she's definitely a little big, but i guess i'll get used to it eventually.

she is absolutely gorgeous though!! albeit very naked since what i made doesn't quite fit her anymore and all my msd clothes are awkwardly small on her.

spacer.png

as you can see she's still lacking eyes and since my cat has decided to steal her wig i've had to give her a temporary replacement... luckily dollyteria had what i wanted so she won't be eyeless and purple-haired for too much longer!

i'm loving this body so far though, she's an absolute dream to pose, she can pull off all kinds of stuff my resin girls cant even dream of doing... i'm officially a vinyl convert. the mdd bust looks a little ridiculous on this body though. her shoulders are fine, but her waist is looking a bit... muffin top-y. at least i can hide it with clothes though!

i have a ton more to say, but i'll leave it til next week when i get her eyes in.

• Like 1

AnjoRaivando

I don't know about strictly plastic, but ISewForDoll has a pretty wide array of buckles available!

• Like 1

hellFlower
1 hour ago, AnjoRaivando said:

I don't know about strictly plastic, but ISewForDoll has a pretty wide array of buckles available!

yes!!! they have exactly what i need! thanks so much!

and on a side note, i actually measured her and it turns it she's actually on the 48cm body! it makes sense why the body looked much more like the 45cm body than the 50cm to me since it never was... never even occurred to me it could be a 48cm body since there isn't one for sale on parabox's website.

CaffeinatedCake

Omg what a cutie! I'm looking forward to seeing her all finished up! 😄 

Help! I fell into DD hell!

hellFlower

hello again! it has just occurred to me that i never gave that eye update... i have no idea what i actually wanted to say at this point, so i'll just move on!

here's little AR-15 at the moment:

spacer.png

i've made a last minute decision to take her with me to melbourne this weekend, so i've thrown her unto some clothes i bought recently that happened to fit and also might resemble something she would wear? i also made her little bag out of the failed attempt to make her dress.

she's been through a lot since my last update. i've gone and given her 2 new faceups, and i even tackled modding her! here's a closer up shot of her current faceup:

spacer.png

easily my best one so far! it actually turned out how i wanted it to for the most part, and i even managed to do her lower lashes right! unfortunately thanks to her mods her nose & mouth area ended up really splotchy, but that's a compromise i had to make in order to ger her eyes to look how i wanted. as i discovered on her previous post-mod faceup, the way i apply my paint for colour matching and the pencils i use do not agree with each other. see here:

spacer.png

you can see how grainy the paint made her face and my pencils did not like this at all. i had to wet them just to get them look like they do in this picture, and the eyelashes are still grainy and uneven and flat.

as for her mods, i mostly just defined her upper lip a little more, and made her nose bigger. i also cut out her eye pockets, which still need some work since she still has some eye gapping. her nose and lip mods aren't entirely done either, i still need to smooth them out, but they are presentable! here's a view of her from the side:

spacer.png 

even with the mods, i'm not entirely sure if i will continue using this head. i do like it, and i think it suits her well, but i'm worried that it would look weird, or too young next to some of the sculpts i have in mind for her sisters (i.e. ddh-07 for M16). i'm thinking of getting what i think is the F4 sculpt whenever the blank smart doll heads go up for sale. i even sketched over it just to see if i would like it:

spacer.png

it suit her well too, i think. the smart doll sculpts looking all very similar would also work well in the AR teams favour and i can definitely see some of the blank sculpts shown as the girls. but we'll see.

that's all i really wanted to say for now. so i'll see you all whenever i feel like updating you again! 

hellFlower
On 6/19/2019 at 12:09 AM, hellFlower said:

i actually measured her and it turns it she's actually on the 48cm body

so actually this was a lie, and apparently when i measured her this day, i completely forgot how to use a measuring tape because she is definitely, 100%, on the 45cm parabox boy body.

it all started a week ago when i got impatient waiting for blank smart doll heads, and decided to go ahead (heh) and buy the head i had i had in mind for m4 - ddh06. unfortunely for her little miss star said yoink and now i'm working on her face. here's a little "still trying to get a good colour match" wip:

spacer.png

anyway, alongside the head, i also ordered a dds bust. the mdd bust felt horribly tight on the frame, and frankly i just wanted to see if it would work. i figured there would be people here who might be interested in how it looks so i took a few quick pics for reference. this is a DDS SS bust just to specific:

Spoiler

despite the large lip, the fit is actually quite good! it's not loose or anything, and the bust fits quite snugly on the lower torso. the shoulders are a little above where they're supposed to be, but it looks easily fixable if you're willing to carve out the arm holes a little more.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

zFG4aLx.jpg

don't mind the shoddily cut neck

it was the last image there that made me think: wow, are her arms supposed to be this short? i went to parabox to check, and it all went downhill from there.

when i did take out the measuring tape again, she measured just over 46cm... luckily for me the frame doesn't change from the 45cm to the 48cm, and i was going to buy the new shell parts eventually anyway. i could just keep her as is, but i wanted m16 on the muscular angelphilia body, and i just can't have her be a whole 5cm shorter than everyone else. i'm just glad i noticed before i bought another 48cm body lol.

next update should be soon, whenever i'm happy with her head mods + faceup.

hellFlower

I love that in my last post here I said I would do an update when I was happy with her face, but here we are, 11 months later and only now am I updating.

This might've been foreshadowing, because I've gone and... bought a Karin. I knew I wanted this sculpt last year, but as someone new to the vinyl side of the hobby I just couldn't justify buying her, especially when I didn't think I would be comfortable with a doll that big. Earlier this year though I forced myself out of my comfort zone and re-shelled one of my MSD resin girls as an SD, and it turns out I'm not as uncomfortable with that size range as I thought I would be. I didn't actually re-consider buying Karin until very, very recently when I was considering buying DD hand frame parts (and hands) and DDS feet since they surprisingly fit, and the corresponding parts on my Obitsu body were either broken, or didn't fit anymore due to the longer vinyl parts. The little voice in the back of my head at this point was saying "You might as well just get a damn DDS body at this point.", and I sure did keep looking at the base body, but every time I went to look, there's Karin top of the Dollfie Dream section, haunting me... On the 8th I finally gave in and decided I would buy her along with everything else I wanted on the 10th. I mean, if you've been wanting a doll for a year straight, then maybe you should buy the doll you know? Perhaps buying that torso was also foreshadowing.

Luckily I haven't made any proper pieces of AR-15's outfit, just patterns and test pieces from an old bedsheet. And since I'd already gotten the DDS torso I shouldn't have to do much adjusting to the patterns, likely just making things longer.
Not sure what I'm going to do with the DDH-06 head, or the Obitsu body at this point. I very much like the idea of the whole AR team having the same head sculpt, which GOD, is my wallet in for a beating if I do that. Could you imagine the face of someone working at Volks if they realised, for whatever reason, I'd bought 5 goddamn Karins? My niece has been showing interest in my dolls, so I might end up giving them to her, but who knows really. 

I've also just made another purchase - finally, after putting it off for so long, I bought the Trumpeter model kits for the guns! I got a M4 R.I.S. for AR-15 since the rail was the closest match to her in game gun. M4A1 got a M933 since it was the closest match to her MOD3 gun. I also bought a SR25 to use the scope on the M4 R.I.S., and the extra parts will be used either for AR-15's secondary gun, or for RO635. I'd put off buying them for so long because I was nervous about getting the kits through customs, even though they're clearly not real guns, you never know with Aussie customs. I noticed today though that one of the sellers I get my MSC from was selling a few of the kits, and luckily they had some that I wanted! Unfortunately, SOP and M16 will be waiting for their guns, but I'm giving myself a 2021 doll buying ban so it's not like I'll be having the dolls that need them anyway.

The first post is funny to look back on now, since the direction I've gone in now is so completely different. At what point did I go from wanting a more chibified AR-15, to a mature one?? 

I sure do ramble, huh. Guess I'll make my next update when Karin arrives, until then here's a brand new mockup, though I won't be repainting the head for awhile.

ar15karin.png.6097cd1bbb41a671e3b1d13195360e01.png

It's also like, real late at this point so forgive me for any inability to proofread my writing lol.

hellFlower

Karin has decided to take her time getting to me and spend 2 extra days in Sydney and Melbourne, but I thought I'd show y'all what the SR25 and M4 R.I.S. combo looks like.

50532885022_d9f4b11a02_c.jpg

Oops, the magazine is the wrong way around.

I actually ended up using more of the SR25 than I thought I would. When I opened up the boxes to look at the kits I realised that the front part of the handguard (??? the holey bit lmao, i'm bad with names of gun parts) goes the whole way down the barrel. I thought that that part ended when the design changed. Not sure if I'm describing this very well, but I'm sure if you compare the original SR25 to my picture you'll see what I'm talking about.

I don't think the design of it is that accurate, but the silhouette is closer than using the corresponding parts from the M4 R.I.S. kit, so I think it's a fair tradeoff. None of these kits by Trumpeter were ever going to be 100% accurate anyway, since they're based off Colt designs. Even if there is a 1/3 Spikes Tactical AR-15 kit out there, I doubt it's the very specific 15th anniversary version this girl uses.

I still need to glue the parts together (the majority of it holds pretty well together on it's own though) and I need to do some cleaning and see if I can sand and polish out the white marks where I cut the sprues off. I also might apply a really light layer of black and silver metallic paint, hopefully it'll really up the cool factor of this kit. It's the first model kit I've ever put together and I'm surprised it turned out so well! I thought it would be a lot harder, but it was actually pretty simple.

hellFlower

I feel very targeted right now.

https://www.dollremi.store/item/【dollremi】Cos-少女前線-Girls'-Frontline-~-ST/5162493926309888?cat=all

I bought it, of course. I still want to make this outfit myself, but in the meantime...
I'm really interested to see how different the dress part is to how I've constructed it! Mine is more accurate to AR-15's concept art, but this one sure does look a lot nicer. I guess that's what you expect with someone who actually knows what they're doing when it comes to sewing lol.

• Like 1