Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Mizuumi-no-Otome

DDS Sailor Mars' wig

Mizuumi-no-Otome

So when I first saw DDS Sailor Mars, I figured I might clash with her wig- turns out I was right!

In order to replicate the look of her prototype wig, Volks made the left side of her fringe longer than the right, as well as thinner, so that you could get the piecey spiky fringe, but IRL it just didn't work for me. Instead of looking like the anime, even with water wax to shape the 'spikes', Ms Hino just looked like she was balding on one side of her head:

IMG_1279.JPG.d43f566441cb5092a6ff234e45e00469.JPG

I'm really experienced with doll hair so I went ahead and ironed the fringe, trimmed the left side to match the right and put a cap over it for a day. I was left with this:

IMG_1283.JPG.333171e4b9e82fd34f272858bf83e042.JPG

Perfection! Exactly what I wanted. 

Unfortunately this only lasted for a day or two, and the 'bent' pieces underneath started to go back to their original shape. The only way to permanently shape the fringe would be to pour boiling water over it, but I didn't want to attempt that without a backup wig handy just in case it gets screwed up. BJD wigs are a little more finicky than rooted doll hair (which is what I'm used to), so I went searching for a backup. 

She also has these really annoying short hairs in the bottom layers, that pop out into her face no matter what I do. This wig is just too finicky for me so I needed a backup regardless of whether or not I fix this one. 

Last week I found this wig on Leekeworld and the color looked similar enough to match what i wanted for Rei; I originally had my eyes on a black/blue Himekazura wig, but I prefer solid colors over blends so I picked this one up immediately! It's a bit shorter than her stock wig, but Mars' anime hair isn't as long as the doll's in the first place, and a long thin wig is always worse than a thicker, slightly shorter wig imo. 

The wig showed up today and I'm impressed!

IMG_1441.JPG.d6cead5d901e0892947138ddb0285cdf.JPG

The fringe is much longer and thicker, with a more uniform curl to it, and the shorter hairs underneath are enough to give me a similar look to the anime, or something more organized without much effort:

IMG_1446.JPG.680169d00e283feabaa76ac81a8cf47d.JPG

It's not completely flawless yet; I still need to straighten out the 'shaft' of her hair, give it some layers, compress the fringe a little and add some water wax, but it's a vast improvement from her stock wig and much easier to style!

And also!! It's an exact shade match to her stock wig. I wasn't expecting that, but I'm very pleased because I love the shade of her stock wig. It's a perfect balance between black and a dark, inky purple-blue. 

Anyway, after some light fluffing and shaping, I got it into this style, which I think is the perfect hybrid between the manga and anime styles:

IMG_1448.JPG.9c97c93588b795c0c906f96ed5970d90.JPG

This was probably longer than a post about two wigs should be, but I could literally talk about doll hair for ages and I thought people would be interested in the Leeke wig, if they're also having trouble with Mars' weird stock bangs!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Serena-Hime
  • Like 3

Mizuumi-no-Otome

Bonus photo to show the color a bit more clearly; Mars' stock wig has such a subtle, beautiful shade and this wig is the exact same color!

IMG_1450.JPG.dcba4699b1ad617b97366e8b9fd1bf1c.JPG

BeyondTime

That’s helpful. I really love my Rei, her sculpt is perfect, and I might get her that wig. Mine actually seems ok as far as the bangs go, but it is a bit too long and when I sit her down she either ends up sitting on it or it’s curled up beside her. 

I need a ponytail wig for her too. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Mizuumi-no-Otome
25 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

That’s helpful. I really love my Rei, her sculpt is perfect, and I might get her that wig. Mine actually seems ok as far as the bangs go, but it is a bit too long and when I sit her down she either ends up sitting on it or it’s curled up beside her. 

I need a ponytail wig for her too. 

I hope it helped! I really love Rei, my only problem is that I'm ssuuuuuuper picky about hair and if it's anything less than perfect, I'll have to replace it (either a reroot or in the case of BJDs/Vinyls, a new wig). After I styled her stock wig it looked mostly good, but I couldn't photograph her from the left because no matter how I situated the wig, the cap would show through unless I pulled the sides inward, which looked a little too jumbled for me. Along with the short bits under the hairline around her wig, I felt it best to just replace her wig entirely rather than settle for a wig that didn't quite work for my needs.

Now that she's got new hair, I'm absolutely in love with her and she looks exactly how I wanted the stock doll to look. 

This one is a really nice length imo! It's about the length you'd see in the bulk of her anime scenes, right at the mid-thigh. The Leeke wig is limited afaik, so I would totally get it soon (I don't know how long the art wigs usually last), even if you only need it as a backup. 

Nyx Whitestar

Thank you this topic is really helpfull! Can I ask you what colors are the headcap of the Leeke wig and Volks Mars wig? Are they dark or flesh color? I'm searching a wig for my custom Sailor Mars but I want a flesh color headcap to avoid stains.

ig-log10.png ap10.png

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, Nyx Whitestar said:

Thank you this topic is really helpfull! Can I ask you what colors are the headcap of the Leeke wig and Volks Mars wig? Are they dark or flesh color? I'm searching a wig for my custom Sailor Mars but I want a flesh color headcap to avoid stains.

Volks Mars wig cap is black, but the protective head-cap can be fully concealed unless you get the kind with lace edges.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Mizuumi-no-Otome
4 hours ago, Nyx Whitestar said:

They're both black! But as BeyondTime said you can use a protective cap and completely hide it underneath. 

Nyx Whitestar

Ok thank you! I've tried a black wig with black wigcap and a silicon protective cap, but colors litteraly went through the silicon cap and stained my head :( I had to treat it with Dream Rescue. I'm afraid that happen again, so I will continue my research for a black wig with flesh color wigcap! Thanks for your answers, it helped me a lot :)

Edited by Nyx Whitestar

ig-log10.png ap10.png

Mizuumi-no-Otome
3 minutes ago, Nyx Whitestar said:

I've tried a black wig with black headcap and a silicon protective cap,

Unfortunately silicone caps don't protect from staining as the dye will go right through them; they're primarily used to keep wigs from sliding off rather than stain prevention! For stain prevention you'll need a fabric wig cap like the ones that Volks sells (though you can find them anywhere). I've also thought about lining the inside of my wig caps with DD Skin Protect Tape but I haven't tried it since I already have the wig caps.

Edited by Serena-Hime

BeyondTime

Yes, cloth caps are the ones you need for stain protection. You still need to periodically check the cap to make sure dye isn’t bleeding into the cloth. If it is you can just spot treat the cap with Resolve and then rinse it thoroughly. I hate head stains, but the best way I know to stay ahead of them is to both protect the head, and be proactive. 

cfx
1 hour ago, Nyx Whitestar said:

Ok thank you! I've tried a black wig with black wigcap and a silicon protective cap, but colors litteraly went through the silicon cap and stained my head :( I had to treat it with Dream Rescue. I'm afraid that happen again, so I will continue my research for a black wig with flesh color wigcap! Thanks for your answers, it helped me a lot :)

Crobi's wigs all have light wig caps AFAIK. I have one of their "light black" (which are actually very slightly brown) wigs and it does have a light wig cap. I don't have the "dark black" (which is actually black) but I believe it has a light cap as well:

All Mandarake Himekazura wigs I own have light wig caps, including one of their "blue-black" ones, but I've read they might have some dark wig caps.

I suspect but don't know for certain that all Cotindoll wigs have light wig caps.

Personally, this is the route I'll take even if it means not having a perfect wig style-wise, especially if it's a style where the hairline is visible where a stain might not always be covered. I'm terrified of head stains, and given the head caps aren't 100% foolproof and that they're hard to completely hide I don't want to have to use them. I also like wigs where the hair stays pretty close to the head so you don't have the bulky wig look and the head caps tend to add to that.

@Serena-Hime I'd like to see a picture from a lower angle so we can see exactly what the bangs look like. All of yours are from above (or Mars is looking down) so I find it hard to see how the bangs frame her face.

Edited by cfx
  • Like 1

Mizuumi-no-Otome
1 hour ago, cfx said:

I'd like to see a picture from a lower angle so we can see exactly what the bangs look like. All of yours are from above (or Mars is looking down) so I find it hard to see how the bangs frame her face.

I can probably take some later! I always take my photos from head-on so that's probably why. I think these are the lowest I got when I was taking pictures (these are from right after I deboxed the wig and figuring out how to best style the fringe), hope they help!

IMG_1437.JPG.3aac2d57e61677c20082964c71ca0acf.JPGIMG_1438.JPG.7983b2626e5ffab674ca02c382044a61.JPGIMG_1440.JPG.a0238c0e3bf4c5d36569f78cece02906.JPG

Edited by Serena-Hime

Nyx Whitestar
14 hours ago, cfx said:

Crobi's wigs all have light wig caps AFAIK. I have one of their "light black" (which are actually very slightly brown) wigs and it does have a light wig cap. I don't have the "dark black" (which is actually black) but I believe it has a light cap as well:

All Mandarake Himekazura wigs I own have light wig caps, including one of their "blue-black" ones, but I've read they might have some dark wig caps.

I suspect but don't know for certain that all Cotindoll wigs have light wig caps.

Personally, this is the route I'll take even if it means not having a perfect wig style-wise, especially if it's a style where the hairline is visible where a stain might not always be covered. I'm terrified of head stains, and given the head caps aren't 100% foolproof and that they're hard to completely hide I don't want to have to use them. I also like wigs where the hair stays pretty close to the head so you don't have the bulky wig look and the head caps tend to add to that.

I have a light black Crobidoll wig too, I confirm it has a light wig cap, but I don't know either for the dark black ones. I agree that light black is slightly brown, and I want something more black for Sailor Mars.

I totally agree with you, I really prefer a non staining wig, especially after what happened to my head 😭 I don't want to risk it again.

I just check Cotindoll and I think they do have light wig caps, they clearly specify that they have tested their wigs and they don't stain! This is what I need! Thank you, I've found the perfect wig! 😍 Plus, I love Cotindoll wigs, they are beautiful :)

cotindoll.JPG.b9746288677e64a56b51eb82e22f2bc4.JPG

ig-log10.png ap10.png

Mizuumi-no-Otome

Little update (poor lighting sorry lol)-

It finished drying yesterday, and I smoothed some water wax over the fringe and the ends of her hair to make it a little more organized! Now that I have it styled and shaped, I'm even more satisfied with how it looks and Rei finally feels 'complete' to me, while before I was constantly fussing with her stock wig and never really happy with it. I can finally enjoy her!

IMG_1470.JPG.3c52b8500eee7d2bc2616f87431a49c7.JPGIMG_1471.JPG.b2e2a98b4739f67f4754635f6e6cc194.JPG

(her face is turned a little more upward, hopefully that helps show how it frames her face a little more closely!)

Now I can focus on expanding  their wardrobe, since I only have like...two extra outfits for the three of them and no extra shoes LOL

Edited by Serena-Hime

Nyx Whitestar

She is great, good job! 😍 

Maybe it can be helpful for someone else: finally I ended up ordering a jet black wig at Dollce, the product sheet on their japanese website indicates that the wig cap is flesh colored :) (However it's not specified on the international website, but it's the same products). I'm happy, the wig looks beautiful and more long than the Cotindoll I had in mind. They also have a black-blue one if someone prefer the blue shades.

Jet black wig: https://dollce.stores.jp/items/5c9df8373207bc26425bf2bf
Dark blue wig: https://dollce.stores.jp/items/5c9f01a753053d7d2e5ea540

• Like 1

ig-log10.png ap10.png

cfx

Thanks for that black/blue one; I'm always on the lookout for possible replacement wigs for Chihaya.

• Like 1

Mizuumi-no-Otome
1 hour ago, Nyx Whitestar said:

They also have a black-blue one if someone prefer the blue shades.

That one is beautiful! I'm always looking for backups and extra styles for each of my girls, I'm going to bookmark that one! Thank you!

• Like 1

cfx

Also, great to see Dollce has this new(?) store and it's a site with proper SSL security unlike far too many doll shops.

BeyondTime

Are those wigs 8 - 9" or 9 - 10"?

Or 9" exactly?

Edited by BeyondTime

cfx

I'm curious about that as well. They're no doubt designed for Dollce's own dolls, and that's all they show them on making it impossible to judge since I have no idea what their own dolls really look like. @jadepixel's wig article http://www.jadepixeldoll.com/where-to-buy-dollfie-dream-smartdoll-wigs/ shows some, and I find the blue ones she shows have a bit of that "helmet of hair" look which tends to mean a larger size wig.

Nyx Whitestar

Dollce wigs are 9" exactly. My DDH07 is exactly 9" too so it's ok for me :) 

I've received it, I'm so glad, I find it perfect, the wig is soft, and it's resistant fiber.

47925229227_6b0ce6331a_b.jpg
✩ Sailor Mars ✩ by Nyx ☆, sur Flickr

ig-log10.png ap10.png

ShinobisDestiny
On 5/24/2019 at 7:45 PM, Nyx Whitestar said:

Dollce wigs are 9" exactly. My DDH07 is exactly 9" too so it's ok for me :) 

I've received it, I'm so glad, I find it perfect, the wig is soft, and it's resistant fiber.

47925229227_6b0ce6331a_b.jpg
✩ Sailor Mars ✩ by Nyx ☆, sur Flickr

Wow so amazing. Is this such a difference. If she would look like that by default I would have bought her in a heartbeat

• Like 1