Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

growcian

Extremely Long Rambling Guide for Buying 60cm Dolls and Accesories in Japan

qudoll

Thank you for the effort in maintaining this post. I'm definitely going to find this very useful for the next Japan trip.

• Like 1

Tierparkzone

Apparently, From-SEN recently released a Youtube video on how to get to their store.

When you check out articles they have in stock at their store in Akihabara, the video now appears at the bottom of the page in addition to the small map they had before.

But I guess it might be a useful addition here as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne0YYm5R1OM

The text on there is Japanese, but as it's a video it is still easy to follow. It shows the paths from

• Central Ticket Gate (NOT Electric Town Ticket Gate) of JR Akihabara Station
  • Exit 2 of Hibiya Subway Line Akihabara Station
  • The front of the Radio Kaikan building

in that order.

• Like 1

nanika

Volks Sapporo does offer tax-free (5000yen+), although it was handled in the building across the street, up a few floors.  The Volks Sapporo store is below ground (B2 floor) of a tall corner shopping mall.  Apparently the mall is spread across a few buildings.  There's a wide assortment of (human) clothing stores within the multi-level buildings.

• Thanks 1

growcian

06/07/2020:

• Added Tax-free shopping info for Volks Sapporo.

2B_banner01.jpg.962d91244de709d8a9e140bd8ee9ed52.jpg

violette_22

Thank you so much for posting this, and with all the photos! I'm not planning to travel to anywhere in Asia for a few years, but, my bf hopes to go next year. I asked him to bring me back a doll, so these photos and instructions will be very helpful to find the good doll shops!

Tierparkzone
On 5/7/2019 at 4:59 PM, growcian said:

DOLK: This location of DOLK is separated into two floors. You can't get to the second floor from the first. Finding the first floor of the store is the easy part. After you're done visiting the first floor, exit the store. Turn right and go forward. Turn right at the next corner. On your right, you'll see an entrance which will go upstairs. Go up the stairs to the second floor.

DOLK Akihabara have recently remodeled their store. The sales area is now only on the second floor.

The first floor will almost always have its shutter down (seems to be their storage area now).

abs2891

Many thanks for this guide - my trip around Kyoto yesterday and Osaka today went incredibly smooth and I have this to thank for it (the linked map locations were awesome and made it all a snap)

FAADE423-6CB4-4090-BE66-30A8462ECE9C

• Like 1

Syaorandc

Volks Akihabara is no longer tax free according to the employees that work there. Even flashed my passport and they said no. Website is still tax free. 

Going to have wife call the Volks HQ and Yokohama stores to see if they are tax free. It is quite possible the employees in Akihabara just didn't want to deal with it.

*Update* Confirmed with Volks HQ. Their stores are no longer tax free as of a year ago. They will be phasing it out of the website eventually as well. They said the Government discontinued the tax-free program in 2021. 

Edited by Syaorandc
Misspelling & new info

Vampurrr

This is an awesome resource, thank you!

My partner and I will be going next year, so this is perfect 😄

Monty

I’m not sure if @growcian still visits the forum, but I just wanted to update on some stuff.

In Fukuoka, while the Volks store there has been newly renovated (and is really lovely and more spacious, I got to visit last month finally), unfortunately the Dollce and Geestore are no longer.

As for Tenshi no Sato - now that GL membership is a thing the one day visitor pass for foreigners is now obsolete. 

Monty
On 4/20/2021 at 10:43 PM, Tierparkzone said:

DOLK Akihabara have recently remodeled their store. The sales area is now only on the second floor.

The first floor will almost always have its shutter down (seems to be their storage area now).

Sorry to double post, but this may have only been temporary - both floors were operational when I was there last month. The first floor is still as cramped as ever lol. 

Auri33

Wow, this post has been an absolute game-changer! it's incredibly helpful! I can't begin to thank you enough for sharing this valuable information, Growcian.I will use this tutorial when I visit japan 🫶🏼.

Xiongmao
On 7/28/2022 at 5:48 AM, Syaorandc said:

Volks Akihabara is no longer tax free according to the employees that work there. Even flashed my passport and they said no. Website is still tax free. 

Going to have wife call the Volks HQ and Yokohama stores to see if they are tax free. It is quite possible the employees in Akihabara just didn't want to deal with it.

*Update* Confirmed with Volks HQ. Their stores are no longer tax free as of a year ago. They will be phasing it out of the website eventually as well. They said the Government discontinued the tax-free program in 2021. 

Interesting. There's recently been a minor political storm in the UK because the government has apparently phased out tax free shopping. Only brands like Burberry were lobbying for changes. This issue is NOT a big vote winner (as you can imagine).

Is the sales tax much anyway? In the UK it's 20%. I did dream of going to Japan and getting a DD or three. However, I might just confine myself to stuff they only sell in their stores (e.g. tan stuff). Also I'd hit the Azone store as they have a lot more exclusives. It would also be a cool experience to get a Dream Choice made to order though. But I'd probably spend most of my time out on the streets taking photos of my girls.

New York sucked because many stores added sales tax onto the price shown on the price tickets. At least UK prices are inclusive of sales tax.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Tierparkzone
On 5/15/2023 at 6:16 PM, Monty said:

Sorry to double post, but this may have only been temporary - both floors were operational when I was there last month. The first floor is still as cramped as ever lol. 

Indeed - they seem to have reverted to the old two floor setup a while ago. I just forgot to post it here.

Speaking of updates: From SEN Akihabara has moved as well (unlike DOLK, this seems to be permanent though). The new location is here on the second floor. - I'd say it's a bit easier to find now.

On 5/20/2023 at 2:05 AM, Xiongmao said:

Is the sales tax much anyway?

Japanese sales tax is currently at 10% (8% for groceries).

On 5/20/2023 at 2:05 AM, Xiongmao said:

... many stores added sales tax onto the price shown on the price tickets.

Unlike many European countries, where it is mandatory to include tax in the price listing, Japan can be quite all over the place. - You'll have to check for the fine print, if the price does include tax or not.

Over the last years it has gotten a lot better though, and most retailers (Volks too) list the prices including tax. The stores and supermarktets that still keep the "without tax" value as the large number (probably to appear cheaper than the competition), nowadays often have the "including tax" value in small text on the label as well. Only a few shops (and some restaurants) will still hit you with the tax only at checkout.

AliceDoll

I am SO glad I found your thread! I'm headed back to Japan as a new doll enthusiast -- I just posted asking for recommendations over and this is the perfect list! So many more than what I had saved. Thank you! thank you! thank you!!!!