The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

youth

Does anyone else find DD ears strange looking?

youth

I've always wondered about this since starting my DD collection in 2010 & they've never change this aesthetic where the upper part of the ear has bulge.

Monty

I do think they are weird, but I think most doll ears are weird in different ways. There are sculpts of certain other companies where the ears are so flat against the head, when viewed from the front its like the dolls dont have any at all (I've seen that more than once). For the most part, it doesnt really bother me because I dont have as single doll whose ears are usually that visible other than the ear lobes as theyre mostly covered by the hair.

• Like 2

youth

It is fortunate that they're usually cover by hair. It's part of what makes a DD a DD I guess, but it's an odd design choice to me. I got a Smart Doll 2 years ago & their ears are more how I imagine they should be.

• Like 1

The bulge throws me off. It's kinda funny how detailed they are compared to the face sculpts tho.

Sord

I just checked, and they do look strange, lol. I think Towa's ear looks a little better than Sabers ear. Also, they look kind of like the Cauliflower Ear that MMA fighters get.

I agree with Monty and Youth. I don't think I've seen my girl's ears since I put their wigs on. But, being anime inspired dolls, you'd think they would have gone with a minimal design for the ears. Something closer to the way the noses are done.

foo

You're right, I never thought about it, I can almost never see them (・・') It may have to do with being able to pull it out of vinyl. That and they probably keep sticking on the same ear sculpt to the heads for the last 15 years.

Meggiekarp

I literally did not noticed until you posted this. Now I can't stop looking at them lol

42bdad38462f9e0e55136363ad50c3e2540275d465b58e2ee287546278681177fbfb1c7dcde945f5da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd8070948bdbe670fb79df22c7754c819f8b53f.png

xandman

Never noticed the ears on any of my dollies....😅😅😅

Siara

I agree that the ears on these sculpts look really funky. I'm not sure what to think of them to be honest. It doesn't bother me that much since currently none of my character have a hairstyle where the ear will be visible.

foo

I saw Turbow's pic on Flickr which shows a Volks SD ear, and it looks like the DD ear is a low-detail version of that (like what I said about being ancient sculpts and easier to pull off moulds)

This is resin SD ear ear from Turbow's photo,

sd-ear.jpg

This is Miku,

miku-ear.jpg

The DD ear is just the SD ear but really simplified.

bulgogi017

Yes! Thought it was so strange looking. Like they got stung by a bee!

A bit weird, and low on the head. Hmmm....

Edited by Guest