Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Rella

I need some help...

Rella

I've had Pullip Sailor Mars sense Christmas and I just can't bond with her.. She has been sitting on my shelf and I never really touched her sense then.. I'm worried. I'm not sure if I should sell her or keep her and try to bond with her. I've thought about customizing her but I'm not sure if that will do. Actually that was my original plan, the reason I got her is because I thought she looked similar to Pullip Homura Akemi (I really want that doll but she is too expensive) and I was going to customize her to make her look like her. Then I thought about it more and that just won't work out. So I kept her the way she is and displayed her on my shelf and I never touched her sense. (I would brush her hair but other than that nothing.) I need some advice, should I keep her or should I let her go?

cfx

I can only speak to my own experience, but in buying some DD heads that I intended to turn into full dolls, in each case where I wasn't really feeling it when I got the head, that didn't change no matter what I tried, trying different wigs, eyes, etc.

Gabriel

Try customizing her anyway.  Just turn her into something random.  Maybe that will make her click with you.  If not, then maybe it just turns out to not be a fit for you.  

I think it's likely you already know if you want to keep it or not, just go with your first instinct.  

::philosophical mode on::

Does it make you happy?  If so, then hunt for your doll's identity.  If the doll makes you happy in some way, then that identity you'll bond with is out there somewhere.  If it doesn't make you happy, then it might be better to let it go somewhere where it can bond with someone else.

::philosophical mode off::

Edited by Gabriel

Monty

To be honest, I have neither the money or space to hold onto dolls I dont 100% love.  If it were me I would sell her - I have the same issue with a bunch of Pure Neemos I have, but the main thing stopping me is honestly just that I'm lazy and havent gotten around to taking decent sales photos. (or rather havent had time to) When I fell out of love -hard- for previous dolls I used to own  also wondered if customising them would help me like them more but tbh it's a huge gamble. On one hand, you may now love the doll, but on the other, if you don't you're left with a modified doll that may be even harder to sell. (This is assuming by 'customising' you mean repainted and/or doing mod work)

There was a doll I used to own that I stopped liking for a multitude of reasons, and ended up selling him - it was the right decision because looking at him only gave me negative feelings, I no longer liked how he looked and he didnt even look like how he was 'supposed' to in my mind. But then I was able to use the money I got from selling him to buy another doll who is one of my favourite ones I currently own who I couldn't imagine not having, and I probably wouldn't have had I not had that money on hand.

But the other example is my MDD Tilo, who I couldnt bond with for an entire year because I was trying to do the wrong thing - I'd bought the head to make a specific character I had in mind and he wasn't remotely right for it, so the head stayed in a box for ages. I considered selling the head multiple times. But when I took a chance and bought a light coloured wig and princely outfit, I suddenly loved him instantly and now he's also one of my fave dolls I couldnt imagine not having. However in this case there was much less risk involved because customising him only meant changing eyes/wig.

I think that most people who would want to buy a Sailor Mars doll would want to buy her fullset as Sailor Mars, so you would have a much better chance of selling her if you kept her in tact. I don't know a lot about Pullips but you can still change their eyes/wigs, right? Maybe you could just try that out. If not, there's no shame in letting her go if you don't like her, it happens all the time in this hobby and you might just be helping out someone who really wants her. Besides, that money can go back into the Homura fund.

Edited by Monty

littlebirdzoom

Long, maybe unrelated,

I kept a doll I didn't really love for like 3 years because of this dilemma. I tried to sell him once, I cried and cancelled the sale and begged them to understand. I promised myself after that I would play with him and I loved him all over again. What happened? He ended up back on the shelf, waiting, gathering dust and being half bonded with. When I eventually took the plunge and sold-sold him, I still felt bad but once he was out of my hands I realized how much of a relief it was. That ordeal made me realize I sometimes hold on to dolls for rarities sake. He was a Fifth Motif Venitu with a very rare faceup and all of him was owned and made by me first. He was part of the original discontinuation, not the re-release Mr Cho got practically bullied into doing. Actually, the fact that he caved in with all that mess really hurt me but that's another story. 

I realized I only wanted him for certain reasons and while I loved the CHARACTER I made for him, I didn't love the doll itself. Maybe this sounds like you since you loved the doll you wanted to turn it into, not the doll you have. 

Since then I've went through a lot of changes with myself in the hobby. For a while I was under the "if I don't adore you I can't keep you" because to tell the truth I have no money to have a bunch of different sizes I need to buy clothes and things for. I like sizes that can share... hooray for DDs. Not really related but - something in me kind of turned recently. I've since decided to just buy dolls. I'm really sick of going back and forth and feeling torn because I don't know if I'll love something or have a character for something etc. If it's cute, if I can afford it, it joins the family. Period. I think I feel this way because the collection I have now is so perfectly tailored to my every deepest doll love aaaaaannnnd I'm terrified to touch them because of it. Q__Q  This hobby is weird, we all go through these changes and dilemmas. 

Okay so the point of all of this is that things change and that's okay. If you want to spend a little money customizing her then go for it! It might change your mind, but if you don't want to then that to me is a good sign you might want to move on. Get the doll you want. Don't let anything get in the way. If you can pay your bills and feed yourself, get the doll you WANT. My holy grail of dolls was impossible to find. I spent years trying to find him to the point of me finding owners and very very very politely asking them to keep me in mind if they decide to part (I would NEVER ask someone to sell their dolls to me). An old dealer, Mint on Card said they were thinking about selling theirs but weren't sure about shipping him. I offered to fly there and had the money saved for years, was talking to my boss about taking two days. Luckily for me right before I bought the ticket they changed their mind and shipped him and I carried that 22 pound doll all the way home from the post alone in two boxes xD That huuurt. TL;DR get the doll you want. If you want her bad enough, save the pennies you have until the moment comes. I would honestly sell her and put the money towards Homura. 

• Like 1

Waiting for eternity for Volks to release more Idolm@ster girls.