Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

fallingdolls

General Questions for a First timer

fallingdolls

(Mods tell me if I should move this ^^) 

Hi so I ordered my first DD a Marai sculpt and I just have a ton of questions and am looking for some advice. She will be here either Friday or next week and I'm so excited!

I ordered her a body suit to prevent staining because that's my largest worry. How it looks in pictures doesn't really matter to me for the moment. Still I worry the clothes I ordered from Mandarake will stain her  (despite them being light colored for the most part) especially if I take the body suit off. Should I wash them first? If so is adding Apple cider vinegar and/or baking soda a good idea?

I'd like to get her a silicone bust part, and I'm wondering how those work on the f3 body or if there even are any for the f3 body yet. That's more of a future thing so feel free to skip over that for now.

I'm used to resin BJD's and though I'm paranoid about breaking them too I want to know if there are any differences in posing them. Just generally if I should be even more careful (probably). 

Also with BJD's it's good to keep them laid out all straight if they aren't being posed to keep the elastic okay(so people tell me)... Should I worry about the same things with her? I don't want to wear out her joints if she's sitting or kneeling. 

Thanks! I'm very nervous and excited at the same time.  She's so far my most expensive doll! I'll will be sure to post pictures when she get here.

Riesz

Congratulations on your first DD!!

In my experience, light-coloured clothes are usually OK without even a body suit.  I tend to dress my dolls in pastels and I haven't had anything in white, light pink, mint, etc stain the doll on either normal skin or semi-white.  I always check around the clothing to make sure no metal parts will be touching the doll directly, as I've heard that cheaper metals can definitely leave marks that may not even be removed with the usual methods.  I personally haven't tried washing doll clothing since some of it can be delicate, but you could try that for peace of mind.

Kotone

I came to vinyl dolls from resin bjds too actually! Light clothes shouldn’t stain, I would second what Riesz said about metal though. I made a necklace for one of my girls and the chain tarnished at the nape of her neck when it got humid and now that part of her has a slight green stain. 

If you’re worried about a specific piece of clothing, check to see if it has white lining, white thread or colored threads and try wrapping a piece you don’t use such as a default hand part in the fabric to see if it stains over a week or so. I have washed things like jeans in vinegar before but I don’t wash items with delicate details like fancy dresses or expensive fabrics like silk just because a small stain is more worth it to me than replacing a handmade outfit. 

Getting a silicone bust should be easy though because the DDIII and f3 bodies share the same bust pieces. 

I keep my girls standing, sitting, and in weird poses all the time for months on end, so I wouldn’t worry about wearing the joints out that way unless you’re making them hold heavy objects. (Also the elastic doesn’t stretch out much at all bu keeping strung dolls posed; the main looseness comes from the elastics aging and breaking down over several years)

The one thing with posing I would say to be careful of is stressing the joints too much when trying to achieve a pose. Like, if you want the arm to bend and it’s not bending as easily as it should, the joint could be facing the wrong way and forcing it might snap the plastic. In my opinion, vinyl doll joints can be a little stiff but that’s part of what makes them pose so well!

cfx

In posing, one thing to keep in mind which may be different than with resin, is to hold the doll near the joint on both sides when moving things around. For example If you're bending the elbow, hold the arm right above and below the elbow and bend it that way rather than holding near the wrist and shoulder. Doing this you don't put unnecessary stress on the plastic parts, and you will also start to get a feel for if the joint is moving properly or if something is being forced.

One other thing to be aware of with staining is that wigs with dark colored wig caps will most likely stain the doll's head. Some wig makers use dark wig caps on dark wigs; Volks does this so your Mirai will have a dark wig cap, which will stain her head, sooner or later. Head stains are the ones to be the most concerned with, since Dream Rescue can damage the faceup if it gets on that. OTOH since the wig will cover the stains it makes it isn't the end of the world so long as the wig is always put on in the exact same place. A fabric wig cap placed under the wig offers some protection but isn't foolproof, and it's hard to completely hide those depending on the style of the wig. If I were buying a doll like Mirai, I would just get her a different wig that has a light cap also because unfortunately Volks wigs tend to not be the best quality in terms of fiber and construction. :(

@jadepixel has an article on wigs that mentions brands that use light wig caps on dark-colored wigs here:

http://www.jadepixeldoll.com/where-to-buy-dollfie-dream-smartdoll-wigs/

In addition, I know that Little Monica and Cotin Doll use light wig caps. With most wig brands, for DDs you want an 8-9" size; however Crobi's wigs are listed as only 8" and tend to be really tight on most DD heads and it's better to buy the 9-10" size from them. They're nice wigs though: Crobi 9-10"

Edited by cfx

BeyondTime
On 8/26/2019 at 10:02 AM, fallingdolls said:

I'd like to get her a silicone bust part, and I'm wondering how those work on the f3 body or if there even are any for the f3 body yet. That's more of a future thing so feel free to skip over that for now.

F3 takes the same busts as DDIII, so I don't know why they wouldn't work. @baldylox is our resident Peach Pai expert, so I am sure he would know for certain.

On 8/26/2019 at 10:02 AM, fallingdolls said:

I'm used to resin BJD's and though I'm paranoid about breaking them too I want to know if there are any differences in posing them. Just generally if I should be even more careful (probably). 

Vinyls will hold their poses better than resins due to the internal frame. I wouldn't worry as much about dropping them as long as you don't drop them on something with a sharp edge or a rough surface.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction