Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Ohana

is anyone going to order the new DD?

Ohana

volks has just a few days ago announced that there's going to be two new DD pre-order dolls (Master/Female protagonist and Shielder/Mash Kyrielight)

is anyone going to order one of them? i myself want to Shielder but I’m not sure, but i was just wondering if anyone is going to get one of them.

Edited by Ohana

BeyondTime

I really need to see photos from the stores. I'm not hugely into Fate, so I am not driven by a need to be a completion here. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Ohana
1 minute ago, BeyondTime said:

I really need to see photos from the stores. I'm not hugely into Fate, so I am not driven by a need to be a completion here. 

i didn't really want another dollfie because i just bought rem and ram. but when i saw Shielder i really wanted her, but i really hope she looks like the picture because they aren't very cheap. 

• Like 1

BeyondTime

Owner photos, and photos taken of the dolls on display, are often the best guide. Volks product photography is about creating a specific display image, so it's not the best guide for what the doll actually looks like. Photographers use lighting & lens to create or remove depth, and will often play around with color in Photoshop.

Edited by BeyondTime
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Gabriel

I don't know anything about either of these characters.  I don't even recall having seen art of them before looking for some after the announcement.  I'm not planning on ordering either.  But it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've invited a DD home just because they're cute.

Initially, I was disappointed at this announcement.  While I do go ga-ga over Saber, I don't really know anything about the Fate franchise.  Given that POV, I can't say I find these two iconic or emblematic of the franchise.  To put it in Star Wars terms, my perception is that it's like Hasbro suddenly announcing Dak and General Madine figures for their Hyperreal line.  So, the announcement made me grumpy.  How DARE Volks do these two girls instead of something I like!

Then I calmed the f*** down.  And I shifted out of sour grapes mode.

I still think Gudako looks fairly generic.  I'm not a fan of either of the outfits on display for her.  Having hunted down some art, I'm not sure the doll evokes the character.  The DD version isn't chibi, by any stretch, but the result seems younger and chibified, if that makes any sense.  As somone else already observed, she looks like another doll cosplaying as the character in question.  To me she looks very much like DD Standard Karin.

OK, that sounds harsh.  It isn't meant that way.  I'm overstating a bit.  I think she'll be pretty cool once people get her home and swap her into a different costume.  She is very cute.  I like her face and wig, just not her fullset.

After looking at these two dolls, I think Mash is the winner with me.  I don't like what has been shown of her alternate costume, but her default works for me.  Just ditch that hoodie and replace it with a labcoat (from the school nurse set) and it's perfect.

Of course, I'm blinded by her glasses.  I think she might be using those lenses like Silver Age Superman to enhance and project her hypnotic powers.  Those pictures with her in the glasses look super cute.  But the pic without the glasses...  Still cute, but not as heart melting.

I'm not planning on ordering either one, but I am interested in more pictures.  If I were to break down and give in to my compulsive DD disorder, I'd lean towards Mash right now.

• Like 1

CuteOne

My husband wants to get me Gudako and I'm not going to argue against that. Who am I to say no to another doll, am I right? So I'll be joining in the preorder wait again this year.

• Like 1

You know you can turn off signatures if they make you uncomfortable.

📸Instagram📸

Galvatim

I'm getting Mash for sure.  I'll probably get both.  I play FGO, though, and like both characters, so I'm clearly biased.  

I have 2 Gudako outfits for my Natsuki to cosplay in, which I was fine with, but I may as well get official Gudako, too.  Having the Master/Servant pair fits my Fate DD collection well, as I have Rin and Saber and Sakura and Saber Alter.  (one of these days I'll get Sakura's dark transformation set.)

• Like 1

Tira
On 9/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, Gabriel said:

I don't know anything about either of these characters.  I don't even recall having seen art of them before looking for some after the announcement.  I'm not planning on ordering either.  But it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've invited a DD home just because they're cute.

Initially, I was disappointed at this announcement.  While I do go ga-ga over Saber, I don't really know anything about the Fate franchise.  Given that POV, I can't say I find these two iconic or emblematic of the franchise.  To put it in Star Wars terms, my perception is that it's like Hasbro suddenly announcing Dak and General Madine figures for their Hyperreal line.  So, the announcement made me grumpy.  How DARE Volks do these two girls instead of something I like!

It'd be a far more accurate comparison to say it's like how someone who hasn't seen the new Star Wars movies might feel about figures of Rey and Finn.  Gudako is the female protagonist of Fate/Grand Order, and Mash is the starting Servant and essentially the main heroine.  Gudako is a bit of a surprise, but only because for some reason they keep using the male protagonist in the anime adaptations (even though Gudako is more popular and has a more distinctive character design).  It's more surprising Mash didn't get a DD sooner, given how big FGO is.

• Like 1

Gabriel
47 minutes ago, Tira said:

It'd be a far more accurate comparison to say it's like how someone who hasn't seen the new Star Wars movies might feel about figures of Rey and Finn.  Gudako is the female protagonist of Fate/Grand Order, and Mash is the starting Servant and essentially the main heroine.  Gudako is a bit of a surprise, but only because for some reason they keep using the male protagonist in the anime adaptations (even though Gudako is more popular and has a more distinctive character design).  It's more surprising Mash didn't get a DD sooner, given how big FGO is.

Fair enough. 

katana

I want to order Gudako if I can, but I already bought 2 dolls this year. I’m a big fate fan and I cosplay Gudako a lot so she’s a favorite of mine.  I get why other people would be less interested in her in comparison to Mash since she technically doesn’t even have a canon personality (though there’s the Riyo learning manga Gudako’s personality, which is hilarious).

ParacosmDoll

Edited by ParacosmDoll

cfx
On 9/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, Gabriel said:

I don't know anything about either of these characters.  I don't even recall having seen art of them before looking for some after the announcement.  [...]

Initially, I was disappointed at this announcement.  While I do go ga-ga over Saber, I don't really know anything about the Fate franchise.  Given that POV, I can't say I find these two iconic or emblematic of the franchise.

This is pretty much me. I don't know anything really about Fate, and for whatever reason it doesn't interest me enough to learn. I am aware of Mash because of some scale figures though, but I've never heard of Gudako before.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, Gabriel said:

After looking at these two dolls, I think Mash is the winner with me.  I don't like what has been shown of her alternate costume, but her default works for me.  Just ditch that hoodie and replace it with a labcoat (from the school nurse set) and it's perfect.

Of course, I'm blinded by her glasses.  I think she might be using those lenses like Silver Age Superman to enhance and project her hypnotic powers.  Those pictures with her in the glasses look super cute.  But the pic without the glasses...  Still cute, but not as heart melting.

Yeah, Mash wins, and it's the glasses and I love the labcoat idea.

I think both are cute dolls. But I only want to own a fairly small number in total, and with that idea in mind, and what they cost, I only buy ones that I really love, and that doesn't apply here.

Gabriel
11 hours ago, cfx said:

I think both are cute dolls. But I only want to own a fairly small number in total, and with that idea in mind, and what they cost, I only buy ones that I really love, and that doesn't apply here.

Nah.  You're doing it wrong.  Drown yourself in DDs!  Join me on the darkside of low standards and poor impulse control!

@onion36@

But shifting into slightly more serious mode.  If I were blown away by these dolls, it's kind of a bad time.   I added Matoi not even two whole months ago yet.  I have the lottery entry for Rem.  There's a new outfit release next month.  I'm still toying with the idea of that Transformers Unicron.   Too much stuff right now.

I know payment won't be processed until about this time next year (at least I think that's the case), but it's still an obligation I'd have to account for.

So very probably not.

However, I think every pre-order doll for the past few years has been part of a Volks USA sort of doll event after the pre-order purchasers get theirs, like the recent one where I got Matoi and which featured both the Saber v2 and Jeanne and others.  So, I think for something like this, I can just wait and see.   

cfx
6 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Nah.  You're doing it wrong.  Drown yourself in DDs!  Join me on the darkside of low standards and poor impulse control!

:lol:

6 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I know payment won't be processed until about this time next year (at least I think that's the case), but it's still an obligation I'd have to account for.

There is the down payment you have to make upon ordering, which isn't a trivial amount. I'm not sure what it is since I haven't done a preorder and if I recall it's different amounts on Volks USA versus international.

Preorder dolls are easier to get after the fact. Volks USA does seem to be doing that, and even if not the dolls that were preorder typically aren't that much more expensive aftermarket i.e. Mandarake.