The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Riesz

Why is preserving packaging seemingly important in Japan?

Riesz

In this topic about clothing storage and organization, some people commented about saving Volks packaging because it's nearly as important as the outfit itself in Japan.  I buy a lot of doll- and anime-related items secondhand and I've noticed the importance of packaging as well, since items with damaged or missing packaging or boxes can sell for significantly less than an unopened item or even a used item with pristine packaging.  I'm always more than happy to receive a sizable discount because a plastic bag is missing!

To be totally honest, I just don't get it at all.  I'm really surprised about the importance placed on holding onto packaging, especially since in many areas of Japan it seems like space is at a premium.  Aside from packaging with pictures that potentially help organize things, why is it so important?  On one hand, I understand saving boxes in case of reselling the doll, or using boxes to store dolls safely, but the boxes are often made of cardboard and much sturdier storage is very inexpensive.  Same with doll clothing packaging - in particular Volks - the packaging tends to be flimsy in comparison to sturdy storage bins or even just sturdier plastic bags with nicer slide zipper seals.

Personally, I used to be a box/packaging hoarder until I had to move several times in quick succession, including moving from one country to another.  I still saved a few doll boxes (mostly Azone, as I didn't have larger dolls then) and anime figure boxes, but most of it quickly went into the bin since I couldn't justify paying huge amounts of money to move empty boxes to another country.  I honestly don't regret throwing them away at all, even if it means I may have to take a hit on resale value (not that I ever really part with anything, sigh)... although in my experience it seems like many Western collectors don't seem to place much importance on original packaging.

cfx

I can't answer the question about Japan specifically, but here's my own thoughts on it--

Kind of a peripheral answer, and this is only my own thought process, which I figure doesn't apply to others, and it's mostly theoretical since I generally never buy anything used really. Part of this is just because I'm extra picky, but practically speaking, far too many people have cats or dogs, and I have severe allergies and also don't like the smell that ends up in everything, so the times I've tried buying from individuals I usually end up with a bad experience. Sometimes I'm told the pets never go in the room where whatever is kept--it doesn't matter; the dander and smell get there anyway in my experience. That doesn't really have anything to do with packaging, but is just an explanation why I don't buy used now.

While there's no guarantee of this, my feeling is that someone who keeps packaging is someone who is also anal meticulous enough to keep their stuff in the same kind of condition I would, so there's the best chance it's something I won't be disappointed with.

I buy preowned, but sealed/unused, from Mandarake or Amiami all the time, but I've never bought a used/opened item from them. I don't really know if I'd have the same issues buying used/opened items from those places, but I don't think I'll find out.

As for what I do about packaging on my own stuff; I keep it if it is actually practical packaging. Like I mentioned in that clothing thread, I keep the labels but not the bags. I'd probably never throw a figure box away so I can pack it if I move and just would find it hard to do anyway. I seldom buy anything that's "bubble on a card" packaging like how action figures are done, but I'd throw that packaging away, possibly keeping the card if it has pictures or something on it. Boxes like the clear plastic that Volks body parts come in? Don't care about those. Those cardboard sleeves on various blu-rays and DVDs? I throw those away almost without exception, except on anime where I can't bring myself to do it...I'd be happier if I could since I wouldn't fret over them having bent corners and such then.

ParacosmDoll

Edited by ParacosmDoll
  • Like 2

cfx
2 minutes ago, Majikaru-Rin said:

In regards to figures and dolls however, I think it's quite important as it's a good indicator of an items authenticity in an age of recast/counterfeited/bootleg products.

Oh that's a good point especially since the boxes for many items have those little foil stickers for whoever on them, that bootlegs ususally don't replicate.

Singer Yuna

This thread reminded me the people on yahoo auctions that resells the empty DD boxes

Western people won’t buy an empty box I guess?

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

cfx

I'd possibly consider buying one as a replacement for a damaged one.  @onion6@

Maybe not the yellow boxes but the deluxe ones like Sheryl came in. Speaking of that, I wish the yellow boxes were thicker cardboard so they were more useful.

baldylox

I buy clothing and dolls with no intention of reselling them.  But that doesn't mean I won't if something comes up and I need cash.  That happened to me before when I needed a car quickly.  I didn't want to sell any of my girls so instead, I sold off a bunch of Volks clothing.  I found that when I had the original packaging for it, I got more money for them.  It's the same across many hobbies... the more complete or close to being new an item can be, the more collectors/hobbyists see value in it and will pay more for it.

Conversely, I love getting and finding deals on things and that means I sometimes do without the packaging.  As long as the clothing set is in good shape and is complete, I doesn't bug me.  But if I can get that same set with the packaging and I only have to pay a little more for it, I will.  It's the collector in me.  I've always collected things since I was a child.... from keys to Transformers, Star Wars toys, etc.  I always kept everything with those toys that I could, I just liked having as much of the original setup as I could manage.

As others have said, I do like having the package for clothing and the boxes for dolls mainly because they retain more value that way.  But as another poster said, it also makes it easier to know what might be fake and what's real.  I bought a Smartdoll Mirai School Uniform recently that looked like the real deal in pictures but when I asked the seller about it, they said it was not the Smartdoll brand.  It had packaging from whoever made it so as soon as I saw that, I negotiated a lower price for it.  Thankfully the seller was up front about it and I didn't overpay for it.  But not everyone is going to be that lucky so it certainly helps in sales to have the original packing.

One thing about the Volks bags tho, they ARE quite fragile so I have sometimes had to put them into a bigger Ziploc bag folded up so the label or photo on the front can be seen.  That way it doesn't get more damaged than it already is and I can still tell what's in the bag without opening it.

Lastly, I have bought or traded for empty doll boxes that I didn't have.  A good friend of mine got herself a Kanu and didn't care about the box.  I got my Kanu loose from Ebay so she had no box.  I traded some clothing for the Kanu box along with the paperwork to my friend and we were both happy.  Same for the Ryomou box I have.... I bought another doll from someone and they knew I missing that box.  They had one but no Ryomou so they sent the doll I bought in the Ryomou box they had so I'd have one.  😉   

Billy

• Like 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Monty

Part of it is just a fan culture thing, its not unique to Japan. Action figures, barbie dolls etc are always worth more if they come with the original box, and for the most part are likely going to be in better condition.  If you had two items that were the exact same in quality and one had the original package and one didnt, the one with the packaging is always going to be perceived as being in better condition than the one without it. I would have more confidence buying something with original packaging because of that perception (and also because of the issue of bootlegs as others have said). 

In some cases, I also just really like the boxes for dolls/figures... It does get to be space issue though, so I have got rid of the few that I know there is no chance I would ever, ever want to sell. Tbh I dont like the Volks bags very much, but theyre convenient to have if you're lazy like me and have no fancier options.