The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

asianed

A study in vinyl colors (feat. Smart Doll & Volks)

asianed

With all new releases recently, it was time to do a comparison of the various vinyl skin tones from Volks and Smart Doll.

First up, the various representations of tan/brown!

ELL_2263.jpg.f17a18ff9b971dd98a99dc1a527c7d2a.jpg

From left to right: Volks Icon Tawny, (front) Volks Dream Choice brown, (back) Smart Doll Tea, Volks Kanu

And now all the colors!

ELL_2268.jpg.703cd485cc4c8c87088136dcf6d18d00.jpg

From left to right: Volks Icon Lilac, Smart Doll Cocoa v1, Volks Icon Tawny, (front) Volks Dream Choice Brown, (back) Smart Doll Tea, Volks Kanu, Volks normal skin, Smart Doll Milk, Volks Semi-white, Volks white

Side by side with just the arms

ELL_2271.jpg.7b92fb2e1749901cc3d85608cfc658df.jpg

From left to right: Volks Icon Lilac, Smart Doll Cocoa v1, Volks Icon Tawny, Smart Doll Tea, Volks Kanu, Volks Dream Choice Brown, Smart Doll Milk, Volks normal skin, Volks Semi-white, Volks white

People used to complain that the v1 Cocoa looked purple in pictures. Volks says "hold my beer."

ELL_2264.jpg.153d93460188e0acdb0b78769c0e1fe0.jpg

And now for a couple fun behind the scenes shots and the carnage that ensued from this session... All the one-armed bandits!

ELL_2276.jpg.d5e5276b84ba99dd64b55dab481e1906.jpg

ELL_2274.jpg.07edc9b5880663d49afa098b015338db.jpg

ELL_2269.jpg.ac7d272f609846181d2139736a29ed9d.jpg

ELL_2273.jpg.0d33f3696e1cd1d2fb94c7ec4c1cfd92.jpg

ELL_2272.jpg.1c2e16b6466c4c758f42e73a6f72e248.jpg

ELL_2275.jpg.93d7e625f073a35fdbb8e09f3c8c1f93.jpg

Edited by asianed
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Testament

The carnage XD

Very useful comparison, thank you.

banner%2Bb%2Band%2Bm%2B1200%2Bpx%2Bcon%2

K-2

The Volks Icon colors are pretty wild. Are those from specific dolls or are they only available at their stores or...?

MVSig.jpg

baldylox
2 minutes ago, K-2 said:

The Volks Icon colors are pretty wild. Are those from specific dolls or are they only available at their stores or...?

Those are two of the 4 colors made available at the US Dollpa last month.  So far these dolls have only been released there and are now up for lottery at Volks US only.  No Japanese release as of yet.  They have 2 other colors, one a pale green and the other is the same as the regular DD NS tone.  Right now there are only 40 of them in existence.  After the lottery we don't know how many will be out there since they haven't told us how many are available.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

asianed

The Petal skin tone is more of a pink color. With the exception of tawny (tan), they all have what's called "pearly glow". Best way I can describe it is that it has a sheen to it that gives it a sparkle under bright light. 

Mothiraffe

This is such an informative post, thank you so much. I'd kill for Tawny, she's stunning. QQ

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

baldylox
20 minutes ago, Mothiraffe said:

This is such an informative post, thank you so much. I'd kill for Tawny, she's stunning. QQ

I hate to say it but these pics do absolutely NO justice to either of the Icon girls skin colors.  Out in the sunlight those two positively GLOW.  I really love the Lilac skin tone because it is iridescent outdoors.  But I'm with you on Tawny.... she is completely gorgeous!  I fell for her immediately upon seeing her.  😄  Hopefully you can adopt one in the future!

Billy

sdrcow

Thank you for all the comparisons! This is a great reference!

bigpalebluejuice

thank you for making this post, I've been looking for good comparison photos! I feel like Smart Doll blushes their tea and cocoa girls kinda strangely sometimes. I was really excited when cocoa Mirai was released, but although she's overall really cute, her blush looks really weird to me? Idk, maybe its just me

SiofraLu

Ah, the Volks Lilac is just to die for! @onion8@

@Fushipa The SmD girls are basically named by face up, so a girl in the tea skin tone such as Mirai will always have the same face up in another skin tone, as far as I know. If the face up is changed even a little bit then they give her a different name. 

Zerkala

Wow, what a great comparision! I LOVE the Icon's tan but honestly what I think that makes it better is the contrast with all of your girls! United colors of vinyl I guess haha

• Like 1

Singer Yuna

Sorry I didn’t see this post earlier, but your comparison pics are so cool! As Zerkala said, United Colors of Vinyl. It’s a very useful thread.

image.png.cbc1e19648277386a02b21f041664ca5.png

NekoMel

This thread helped me figure out which Vinyl skin tone I wanted, thank you for the comparisons :)

Koala-Krash

Wow, what an amazing collection! The gradient pics are so cool (and useful)

baldylox
On 11/9/2019 at 5:11 PM, Zerkala said:

Wow, what a great comparision! I LOVE the Icon's tan but honestly what I think that makes it better is the contrast with all of your girls! United colors of vinyl I guess haha

10 hours ago, Koala-Krash said:

Wow, what an amazing collection! The gradient pics are so cool (and useful)

I'm glad Ed's post has helped a lot of people out!  That's why he does these things.  😉

But just to set the record straight, all these dolls are not owned by one guy.  Ed owns the purple and tan Icons along with the tan MDD.  The rest are mine.  😄  But maybe one day, if Volks decides to make the Icons more available, then I'll own a green one and a purple one!  

Billy

KingyoNingyo

This post is EXACTLY what I needed for research! I know it's kinda thread necromancy, but thank you!

• Like 1

whisski

Thank you so much for making this thread, it's a really lovely comparison of skintones! It's hard to find such a variety together!

Haruka

Thank you for the skin comparisons! It really helps! 

babylily

Thank you so much for making this comparison!! I was very much hoping that Volks dream choice tan would be closer to Smart Doll tea :(

• Like 1

asianed
3 hours ago, babylily said:

Thank you so much for making this comparison!! I was very much hoping that Volks dream choice tan would be closer to Smart Doll tea :(

Glad this post is still helpful! Officially, Volks calls to the DCH color "brown". It's a very subtle color that is darker when compared to flesh and semi-white in their lineup

I haven't seen a SmD cinnamon in person yet, so that may be a better comparison. 

Lynn
1 hour ago, asianed said:

Glad this post is still helpful! Officially, Volks calls to the DCH color "brown". It's a very subtle color that is darker when compared to flesh and semi-white in their lineup

I haven't seen a SmD cinnamon in person yet, so that may be a better comparison. 

Unfortunately, no. Smartdoll cinnamon is excellent match for Kanu Unchou, though. The color match is so great that I'm actually going to try if I could mod a smartdoll bust to my Kanu. Default bust did not look good, but large smooth bust looked surprisingly good. There are some gaps below the breasts that can be covered with clothing. 

sardemar

awesome post! thank you for the comparisons

baldylox

Hey @asianed, we need to update this thread at the next meet to include *ALL* the colors of Smartdoll and DD since between us we have all of them now.  😄  But maybe this time no one armed bandits?  I always feel bad for the girls when I see the carnage from this photo shoot.  LOL

Billy

• Like 1