Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Nebbby

Tips ??

Nebbby

Hiya, I'm kinda new to all of this stuff, though I've been interested in the dolls since I was about 12. My main question is obitsu really any less quality than DD dolls? I have seen multiple comparisons but nobody has really commented on the quality. I also wanted to ask tips on buying clothes for a 40cm paradoll, and whether or not I could just buy clothes for an MDD if i really wanted.

Because I want to bring my original characters to life, I'm going for accuracy with clothing, face, and attempting relative height accuracy. I'm starting off with my favourite little monster Jason, who I'll link drawings of down below. The story that surrounds her is quite dark and serious, though herself she is a positive and bubbly character, so I'm trying to think of a head to best convey this, so far I'm considering the Luna head, as it seems to be quite flexible to the tone. Lastly could anyone point me in the direction of some obitsu face up artists, any of which are taking commissions now/soon?

This is alot to dump, but like I said I'm new and dumb lol, but I really really wanna get into collecting these. 

Jason image dump for anyone who cares:
EzBbaL.jpg
radxzU.jpg
bIJUtW.jpg

Tira

I have both a Dollfie Dream, though admittedly an older model, and three 50cm Obitsus.  I wouldn't say there's a difference in quality between them per se, but rather that the two companies have prioritized different aspects.  The Dollfie Dream body is more aesthetically pleasing, especially in terms of joints and such, whereas the Obitsu have a greater range of movement.

A 40cm Obitsu should be able to wear MDD outfits, as well as most outfits size for MSD or 1/4th scale dolls.  However, they will not fit clothes listed as being for "Slim MSD" dolls.  These are sized for dolls that are similar in height but have more adult proportions, while the 40cm Obitsu and MDDs both have more childish proportions.

Your artwork is very cute!  I do want to ask how old the character is meant to appear, however; based on the second picture, she looks like she's in her teens or so.  The 40cm Obitsu dolls have bodies more suited for young children.  A doll that's in the 50-60cm size range would probably look more like a teenager.

Nebbby

@Tira Thank you so much!! I'm still debating between the two, as to me they do seem quite similar, only difference being the joints really, dd having the nicer looking of the two imo, but obviously dd is so expensive, I'm looking at around £300 for my faceup which isn't a terrible price by any means, but specifically the clothes I want amount to like £500, so if obitsu can cut down the total, then personally I'm all for it. 

But yeah, the character is a teenager but with a fun and childish demeanour, both the MDD and 40cm small bust paradoll bodies are perfect for her, still a bit unsure as to which heads work with MDD, but for paradoll still. I'm just juggling the middle ground between looking chibi and looking too realistic lol.

Tira

In terms of physical proportions, the MDD and 40cm have significantly shorter legs than your picture.  If you don't want too tall of a body, the 50cm Obitsu might work well; I find it's good for representing petite teenagers.  Also, as the Luna head is more mature-looking, I'm not sure it would suit those bodies; Parabox lists it as compatible with 47-50cm bodies.  The downside with the 50cm Obitsu is that they're harder to dress because of their unusual size.  MSD clothes will generally fit in terms of width, especially with a smaller bust, but will be significantly shorter.  Azone has a decent amount of clothes that will fit them, but you'll need to check the size compatibility fairly closely; outfits sized for the larger AZO2 busts will be too large.

In terms of Volks heads, the DDH-01 and the DDH-10 are the ones I see most commonly used for MDD bodies, since they're a little smaller than the others. You can also check the Dollfie Dream Customization forum for a thread based around that headmold.  Parabox generally lists which bodies they recommend using each of their heads with, and also typically include pictures so you can get a sense of what it will look like.

Nebbby

@Tira Yeah, I'll have to keep thinking, perhaps I'll get a different character, one i can get use to the doll with, that's probably the more logical option rather than jumping in head first with a super accurate character remake. 

Thank you so much for your help!! I'll keep doing some diligent research, I'm still on a predicament about clothing, but I'm sure something will pop up

K-2

The Obitsu 48/50cm body is the base body for a number of doll companies like Parabox, Azone, Visuadoll, Angel Philia, and Real Art Projects. A very high percentage of the parts made for these dolls can be mixed and matched so you can achieve a wide degree of customization without picking up an xacto or sandpaper.

MVSig.jpg

hellFlower

if you want accuracy, especially with height, then obitsu would probably be the better option, since like K-2 said they have a lot of interchangeability. for your character in particular, maybe if you want her to have long legs, but want her to fit well into most MDD clothing, you could get the 40cm body but swap out her legs for the 48/50cm body ones. i'm not sure if that would look good, but the fun of obitsu is that you can try stuff like that out!

also i feel like i should note something here: if you want to use dd heads for any dolls you might want in the future, you might want to reconsider the luna head. it's not a bad head, and i think it works well for your girl, but a lot of the obitsu heads are smaller than dd heads so she might end up looking a bit pinheaded next to them.