Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Juxtaposition

Purchasing from Tokyo Otaku Mode with a Buying Service?

Juxtaposition

Hello, group!

I am interested in purchasing the 2B Dollfie Dream (https://otakumode.com/shop/5bd2d33484867df773ea3d6c/Dollfie-Dream NieR-Automata-YoRHa-No-2-Type-B), but Tokyo Otaku Mode can't ship her to my country (USA).

I was thinking, perhaps I could order her through a proxy shipping service? In the past, I have used From Japan on smaller orders from different sites. Has anyone here ever used a proxy service for a big doll like this? Do you have any services that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help! ^_^

Innocentsake

I've been using Zenmarket for my proxy needs and haven't had any problems with them. They charge a flat fee of ¥300 for every item ordered, you pay for the item+plus shipping to them, and then shipping to yourself once it reaches their warehouse. And you can keep stuff in their warehouse up to 45 days. Once it hits 39 days I have them build my package because it does take a day or two and after 45 days they charge you ¥50 for each additional day on every item that is already passed the 45 day mark. Packaging has always been really well done for all my things whether it was SAL or EMS. And when you first sign up you get ¥300 free so that first item you order the fee is waived. For online stores you'll submit the link for the item and they will check to see if they can purchase it. If they can you will be invoiced for the amount owed. I would go to their website and read everything so you're well informed 😊

I can recommend Zenmarket too. They're great for single expensive purchases because the fee is still only 300 yen and the order process is simple. They've always handled my items with care and are shipped really well packed (though I imagine for a DD it'll already be well packed coming from TOM to the warehouse. You'd hope they wouldn't skimp on packing a $900+ order.)

Juxtaposition

Thank you both for the information! I think I have heard of Zenmarket before, but I haven't used them yet. 2B is now awaiting checking by Zenmarket to see if they can get her...But even if they can't, Yahoo Auctions looks like it might be another option! 😃 Thanks!

StelSel

Thanks as well, first time l heard about Zenmarket.

cfx

For anyone not having used a proxy before, pay close attention to all the fees, because there tends to be something you don't anticipate that will surprise you and end up costing more than you expect, or at least it's been my experience. In Zenmarket's case, they charge 3.5% of the total amount you transfer to them as a fee, so the extra expenses are more than just that flat 300 yen fee and the shipping, etc. This is explained on their FAQ page, but it took me a while to actually find it.

Every proxy I am aware of does something like this. The ones I've used charge you in USD but use a yen-dollar exchange rate that's 5 yen or so worse than the real rate to get their fee, which works out to about the same thing as what Zenmarket is doing. I really feel like they try to hide the true costs and make these things as convoluted as possible.

Perhaps I'm just dumb on this, but every single time I've bought something via proxy, it ends up costing me quite a bit more than I thought it would, and that is even with the calculators they have that are supposed to tell you the approximate costs. My worst experience ever was with a Taobao agent where I think I paid more in fees than the value of the stuff I bought.

Beani

@Juxtaposition Bit late I suppose but as a heads up, my Japanese IP gets the warning TOM won’t ship 2B to my country. So Zenmarket may not be able to help. 

If that really is the case I guess TOM only got stock on the agreement they not ship to where there are official Volks stores (so Japan and USA) but who knows really. 

Juxtaposition

Thank you everyone for your advice/insight!

I attempted to bid on a 2B. I didn't win, but Zenmarket was very helpful!

magique

there's a 2b on mandarake too!

Edited by sweets
  • Like 1