Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  

Ranko is here! (NSFW Doll nudity)

Gabriel

She looks beautiful.  

Did you have to do any work to get her wig to behave like that?

Monty

20200203_210441.jpg.8aa6a40c12c01a010fdaf73be25f25b6.jpg

Hmm, I gotta admit this does bother me. I recently got my Princess Snow Miku set and noticed the same thing, but didn't think much of it because I could read it, and because my 9S had the step by step images. But for someone who can't read Japanese, which is going to be the majority of people buying from outside Japan, this could be a real problem if you dont understand the order. I heard that 2B's outfit was extremely difficult to get on, so if this is how its going to be from now on it's not exactly accessible when it comes to the DDs with extremely elaborate outfits. I really hope this isn't how it's gonna be from now on...it's very odd to me that they have recently added an english translation for the Concept Notes that come with DDs and base bodies but then go and do this.

All that said, she looks so lovely and elegant!

Edited by Monty

cfx

With most of Volks Japan's webpages being changed to machine translation, even for pages that had already been translated to English, it really feels like they're not really devoting much effort to their non-Japanese customers lately. :-|

It's also such poor machine translation. Google Translate is awful for Japanese to English, yet it's far better than "J-Server" or whatever it is Volks is using. I can take the text from most any page and stick it in Google Tranlaste and get better and more readable results than what Volks' own service is giving. At least Google usually gets the character names right!

I'm personally not affected much since I can, very poorly, read some Japanese, and I do fully understand the little step-by-step chart there on Ranko's instructions. But they shouldn't be doing it like this for their foreign customers, in general.

Anyway, she does look awesome and I'm looking forward to when I can have her. :)

Edited by cfx

Monty

Actually, I just now noticed that - on the plus side - the list is numbered, and the numbers correspond to the image above of the outfit pieces. So at the very least you can still see which order things go on if you follow the numbers.

Edit:...although its odd to me that they're numbered in such a way so that it starts at 7 instead of just having the first item you put on (the underwear, or 'shorts') be 1 lol.

Those instructions are literally just a list of nouns, so hopefully they will still continue to use images where the exact method isn't as obvious (ie when you're supposed to put a certain item on a certain way)

Edited by Monty

BeyondTime
21 minutes ago, Monty said:

Hmm, I gotta admit this does bother me. I recently got my Princess Snow Miku set and noticed the same thing, but didn't think much of it because I could read it, and because my 9S had the step by step images.

I’ve never seen English instructions on the complex dolls. Kos-Mos & Saber Lily for sure were Japanese only. I can’t recall with Saber Altria & Jeanne, but pretty sure English would have stood out to me as unusual. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Monty
6 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I’ve never seen English instructions on the complex dolls. Kos-Mos & Saber Lily for sure were Japanese only. I can’t recall with Saber Altria & Jeanne, but pretty sure English would have stood out to me as unusual. 

I never implied they did, but they've always to my knowledge had a bunch of images that show how to do put the outfit on step by step, which you dont really need to be able to read Japanese to understand. Having Japanese text only changes this a lot. But, the diagram with the numbers does help - I didn't see it at first.

EDIT: Not sure when the new Concept Note came out - it's recent enough to have Coron and Ribbon, but not recent enough because Coron is still spelled Colon lol (I got one with 9S). But other than that, the english half of it (the first time I'd seen english in the Concept Note) read very naturally to me - its only for generic DD info though, not instructions on the actual doll included.

Edited by Monty

Gabriel

You know, I don't recall if I got an instruction book with Rem. I just checked her box, which is one of those interchangable labeled ones instead of a custom printed coffin, so like Ranko above.  The instruction book wasn't in there.  I don't know if I put it somewhere else or not.

But Matoi did come with an illustrated, step by step instruction sheet on how to dress her in her default.

I can't think of any separately sold outfits that came with instruction sheets, so I'd actually find an instruction sheet included with the Snow Princess set to be unusual.

Thespian

@Gabriel My Ranko arrived today, too, and her wig was pretty darn solid right out of the bag. The bangs required some finagling and I had to smooth down a couple of hairs back into the curl pattern on the pig tails, but the whole thing took maybe 5 minutes. No pictures yet because the lighting in my house is terrible ^^'

I find it interesting that their character concept book for Ranko is in Japanese only, but the general concept book has both an English and Japanese section. Interesting choice, Volks.

• Like 1

Kiyomi DDS DDH-06 🧡 Miyuki DDS DDH-06 🧡 Shiori DDS Mariko Summer Festival 🧡 Kanade DDDy DDH-07 🧡 Honoka DD DDH-09

Any pronouns are fine

cfx
28 minutes ago, Monty said:

I never implied they did, but they've always to my knowledge had a bunch of images that show how to do put the outfit on step by step, which you dont really need to be able to read Japanese to understand.

I actually didn't remember for sure so I just checked on a couple of mine. Sheryl Nome has pretty detailed pictorial instructions like you mention. One of the iDOLM@STER girls I checked just has a single piece of paper about the same size as the Concept Note booklet, with only a picture of the dressed doll. There's a numbered list of the parts but it's just an inventory, definitely not a list in order for how it goes on. There's a note about using that velcro thing Volks sells to keep the wig in place, In other words, that one has really no instructions at all.

No English on any of mine it seems, but they're also all dolls that Volks USA never sold, so I didn't know if that's true for everything.

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, Monty said:

I never implied they did, but they've always to my knowledge had a bunch of images that show how to do put the outfit on step by step, which you dont really need to be able to read Japanese to understand. Having Japanese text only changes this a lot. But, the diagram with the numbers does help - I didn't see it at first.

Ah, I see I missed the bit about text only. That is an issue to be sure.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

On 2/3/2020 at 11:35 PM, Gabriel said:

She looks beautiful.  

Did you have to do any work to get her wig to behave like that?

Thank you! :-)
And as fishbuttz mentioned, the wig was great from the start. I think it's one of the best default wigs I've received (better than 9S and Saber's at least). 

On 2/4/2020 at 12:23 AM, Gallye said:

Ooh, congrats! I love that parasol.

Thank you! Yes, I love it too. The rose patterns are really nice. <3

On 2/4/2020 at 3:03 AM, cfx said:

Anyway, she does look awesome and I'm looking forward to when I can have her. :)

Yes, she does! I hope you'll get your Ranko soon. :)

On 2/4/2020 at 2:53 AM, Monty said:

All that said, she looks so lovely and elegant!

Thank you! <3

On 2/4/2020 at 3:12 AM, Monty said:

Actually, I just now noticed that - on the plus side - the list is numbered, and the numbers correspond to the image above of the outfit pieces. So at the very least you can still see which order things go on if you follow the numbers.

Edit:...although its odd to me that they're numbered in such a way so that it starts at 7 instead of just having the first item you put on (the underwear, or 'shorts') be 1 lol.

Oh, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out! I didn't have any problems dressing her since she's not my first DD, but if she was, I might have been confused. The numbers help, but I admit that I prefer pictures. 

Edited by Guest

cfx

For a comparison, this single sheet is the entirety of the instructions for Makoto Kikuchi, basically only consisting of a picture showing which leg is right vs. left, and talk about a head cap and the velcro head thing along with a list of all the pieces. The other side is just the promo picture as shown on her webpage. This seems somewhat typical for the iDOLM@STER girls. In spoiler tag to not clutter up the thread:

Spoiler

makoto_instructions.jpg.12f0c794bdc80fcb265ef8db39c6dc46.jpg

Edited by cfx