Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

foo

Those Coolcat shoulder/hip joint protectors don't like cold weather

foo

I had Yaya waiting on my desk for a while, waiting for attention,

DSC_0682nx-Yaya.jpg

I finally got around to changing her when I had trouble rotating her arm, it got stuck and squeaky for some reason. Then I decided to abort and to just try and remove the arm, and found out too late that I was damaging it. I couldn't figure out why this happened until I saw the aluminum protector around the shoulder part.

DSC_0685nx.jpg

With the arm "disconnected" I could take the bust off and yeah, the aluminum was very cold to touch. For those who don't know about these, the early DDIII/DDS bodies had weak joints for the shoulder/hips, and these parts prevented them from cracking. Volks eventually fixed it, and Yaya's body was one of the fixed ones (ーー') 

She can borrow Melty's old body for now, but I guess she'll be getting a new f3 body...

Edit:

So it looks like when I rotated the arm, it was too tight for the friction-tape coating and, well this happened,

DSC_0687-yaya-shoulder.jpg

It bunched up and got very stuck.

She's a bit shorter now but I promise to keep her warmer,

DSC_0691nx-yaya-warm.jpg

Edited by foo
  • Sad 2

TheWhiteRabbit

Poor Yaya, she looks nice and cozy on her shorter body in the meantime! I've never tried those reinforcement parts, given it's cold here like 75% of the time I guess that's a good thing lol.

Follow me on Twitter :)https://twitter.com/WhiteRabbit887

BeyondTime
On 2/3/2020 at 11:10 PM, foo said:

She can borrow Melty's old body for now, but I guess she'll be getting a new f3 body...

I suspect this might have been a plot on Yaya’s part. You got one for Melty, and I’m sure she thought that the lack of a new body for her was an oversight.  

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx

Perhaps she has been reading on the forum about the escapades of @sinclair's Yaya and come to the conclusion that life could be more exciting if she too was a DDS.

@onion9@

More seriously, could parts from the DDS arms be used to repair the DD3 arm? Many of the frame parts are the same with just shorter connecting rods; I believe the thighs are like this. I haven't yet disassembled them to know, but perhaps the arms are as well.

• Like 1

foo
On 2/4/2020 at 4:10 PM, TheWhiteRabbit said:

Poor Yaya, she looks nice and cozy on her shorter body in the meantime! I've never tried those reinforcement parts, given it's cold here like 75% of the time I guess that's a good thing lol.

It turned out it snowed that night, and being next to a large window it must have been very cold. I've been keeping a blank on my lower body when at the desk so I didn't notice is was that cold (ーー')  

15 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I suspect this might have been a plot on Yaya’s part. You got one for Melty, and I’m sure she thought that the lack of a new body for her was an oversight.  

Honestly that seems credible. I was really interested in getting an f3 DD body since it's the only size I'm missing, but TBH I was interested in doing it now. But oh well, I ordered a new body, I don't really feel like keeping her on DDS.

Also I don't want to use the DD3 bodies when it's this cold now (・・') 

8 hours ago, cfx said:

More seriously, could parts from the DDS arms be used to repair the DD3 arm? Many of the frame parts are the same with just shorter connecting rods; I believe the thighs are like this. I haven't yet disassembled them to know, but perhaps the arms are as well.

I don't really want to end up with two broken bodies 😛 I do use that body for Melty when I put on her original outfit too. Yaya's old body can be used for spare parts for Rin & Sakuya too.

Ui-

This would make me cry. I cringed when I saw the break. I’m so sorry. 

But the f3 bodies are nice in my opinion. :) 

Oh yeah, and ironically, a DD body is all I’m missing too... I really like DDS

Edited by Ui-

Cauldroness

Those Cool Cat parts were never intended to go on the newer-style body that Yaya had/has with the ridged shoulder. They're only designed for the two earlier, smooth-type shoulder joints.

Only use the parts if the shoulder looks like this:

image.png.97341bd677df11d9d28d6a59b1820f75.png

Any other style of shoulder, I would highly recommend removing the Cool Cat parts. I remember someone else having the same problem you did, with the same ridged shoulder type.

• Like 1

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

cfx
8 minutes ago, Cauldroness said:

Any other style of shoulder, I would highly recommend removing the Cool Cat parts. I remember someone else having the same problem you did, with the same ridged shoulder type.

That has been my suspicion, but, take the following for what it is, my theory that I have no proof for other than some understanding of stress mechanics.

From pictures I've seen of that first type with the thin plastic on the sockets, they cracked because they were too thin. Volks responded by making the second type, with thicker pieces. From personal experience with that second type with the solid thick sockets, they crack too, because they don't have any real ability to expand or give at all, which is presumably what led to the final design with the thin walls + thick flanges. If that design is indeed intended to be able to flex and expand a bit with pressure from the pin on the arm, the metal reinforcement will just interfere with that.

foo
1 hour ago, Cauldroness said:

Those Cool Cat parts were never intended to go on the newer-style body that Yaya had/has with the ridged shoulder. They're only designed for the two earlier, smooth-type shoulder joints.

Shortly after I jumped into the hobby with my first DD (Sakuya) on the way, there was a post in the forum about something like the first things you should do when you get a new doll. The top recommendation was to get the Coolcat shoulder joints, so I did (ーー') Although TBH I think at that time we didn't know how reliable the latest bodies were either.

I got Yaya a couple months after Sakuya, she's the only other one I've put the things on. I'll take them off Sakuya when I'm sure the weather is warmer 😛

2 hours ago, Ui- said:

This would make me cry. I cringed when I saw the break. I’m so sorry. 

Thank you (。-_-。) 

Her new body's already passed through customs and I guess they'll deliver it on Monday. That was really quick shipping (・・')