The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

iPOUT

Which should I get, a dollfie dream or an Azone 50cm?

iPOUT

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Obitsu Q & A section or here but since this kind of involves dollfie dreams I decided to post this here.

Lately, I've been thinking about saving up for an azone iris collect doll, specifically the new Merry Winter Noix. But with the price being around 500 dollars, I'm not sure if I should just save up more for a dollfie dream (l dont have one in mind at the moment so I guess I'd just save for one I might want in the future).

Personally, I want the azone doll because I heard they're more posable and easier to maintain. Additionally, with the price being lower than a dollfie dream, I think I'd feel more comfortable with taking her outside and taking pictures.

But on the other hand, I'm also thinking about the negatives of owning an azone 50cm like finding the right clothes and shoes.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, which one is the better choice, a dollfie dream or an azone 50cm for a cautious collector?  Also, in general, how beginner friendly is a dollfie dream? I'm sorry if this is a weird question to ask. >__<

Riesz

I have both and they are both nice but I would definitely recommend DD over an Azone 50cm, if only because clothing is so, so much easier to find.  The Azones are seriously a pain to find clothing for and the variety of clothing for DDs is so much larger.  Azone 50cm dolls are typically a bit less expensive brand new than DDs, but you can definitely find used DDs for around the price of an Azone 50cm... just check Mandarake frequently.

I'd say they are both beginner friendly and highly customisable.  Both can have eyes swapped out, but again DD size anime-style eyes are so much easier to find.  Both can swap wigs as well, but note that Azone 50cm take a smaller wig size than DD so they cannot share wigs or eyes.

Also a small personal pet peeve is that I don't like the prominent kneecaps on the Azone 50cm Obitsu body.  They show through even with stockings and it bugs me after also having a DD, which doesn't have that issue.

Hope this helps.  If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer.

• Thanks 1

Cauldroness

I have several Dollfie Dreams and several Azone girls (including a Noix!), and I love them all! I think they both come with pros & cons.

My advice is to get the doll that charms you the most, because you'll have the most fun with her. If you're in love with Noix, get Noix. If you find a Dollfie Dream that you love more, get her.

I will say this, I originally bought Noix because I wanted to use her body for a different doll. The minute I opened her box, I went "Oh f%^k!" because I knew I was keeping her forever. She was too cute. Of all the dolls I own, she looks the most like a Moe anime girl brought to life.

Azone are 50s more poseable than Dollfie Dreams, but that also means their joints are uglier. As for maintenance, there's really almost no difference. They also are equally "beginner friendly" in my opinion.

Clothes and shoes are more challenging to find for Azones -- BUT it's getting easier and easier. Azone releases 1-2 outfit sets every month or so and they're super easy to buy, no lotto or click war, just put in your shopping cart. A lot of stores still have past releases in stock, too. Generally, I feel like Azone clothing tends to be a bit cheaper than Volks clothing, too? Azones 50cm (specifically those on the AZO2 body) can also wear a lot of clothes designed for Dollfie Dream.

In summary:

- Which doll do you love best? --> Get that one.

- Which matters more to you, posing or aesthetics? Posing --> Azone. Aesthetics --> Dollfie Dream.

- Do you plan on your girl having a few outfits she cycles through, or do you want a big wardrobe? Few outfits --> Azone. Big wardrobe --> Dollfie Dream.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

BeyondTime
20 hours ago, iPOUT said:

specifically the new Merry Winter Noix.

17 hours ago, Cauldroness said:

because I knew I was keeping her forever.

That is a seriously cute doll.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

monkeypizzasonic

I was put off by the Dollfie Dream's price range as well, so I ended up buying a head, body and eyes separately instead of getting a standard model.

The pros of doing it this way are that you can save up for parts instead of having to pay all at once, and you get more freedom to customize right from the get-go because you can pick a head you like and put it on a body you like; the cons are that it doesn't come with eyes/wig/clothes already prepared, and the optional heads are all blank so you'd have to do a faceup yourself or commission one. 

(Although, my DDH-04 was blank for ages and it didn't bother me that much. You can convey a lot of personality with just the right wig and eyes. Might just be me though.)  

• Like 1

cfx
On 2/8/2020 at 4:38 PM, Riesz said:

Also a small personal pet peeve is that I don't like the prominent kneecaps on the Azone 50cm Obitsu body.  They show through even with stockings and it bugs me after also having a DD, which doesn't have that issue.

That's me, and is the primary reason I'll probably never have an Azone 50. It's even more noticeable since the color tends to not quite match especially after the vinyl starts to change (or on the bodies that have blushing on the vinyl like AP). I can't help but be reminded of those kneepads like baseball players wear.

@onion9@

That aside, some of the Azone girls are really cute.

Edited by cfx

RobotDollOmega

From my short exposure to doll stuff after getting my Libidoll (yep) recently, I realised that dollfie dolls are much more widely supported, so it'll be easier for you to get parts, clothes etc. At the same time I was told by ramcoy that shoes are a bit more difficult to get (larger feet?). Since a lot of dolls are similar enough that you could plug n play to some extent, as monkeypizzasonic said, you could choose the parts you like and then build your doll.

Even with all the drawbacks, after opening the Libidoll box I fell in love and I am gonna turn her into my Lime waifu (saber marionette). If you're interested in making a character that is more niche, then you probably have more choice as to which parts to go for.

Another thing, if you can I'd suggest travelling to Japan, or at least visiting local doll meets. I learned about dolls a year ago, but only bit the bullet now while in Japan. I think the dolls look much better in person!

Edited by RobotDollOmega
Fixed some grammar.
  • Like 1

iPOUT

Thank you all for your responses. Honestly, I'm still a bit unsure about which I want to buy, but I definitely feel like I'm leaning more towards the Azone 50cm doll. I'm not swearing off Dollfie Dreams, but I really like the Merry Winter Noix, and currently there's no DDs I'm interested in at the moment. Also, I'm really considering what Cauldroness said about posablity and I think atm, I prefer better posing over aesthetics. ^-^

As for the issues with finding clothes beyond what azone manufactures, I guess worse case scenario, I can just make my own clothes. :) 

BeyondTime
15 minutes ago, iPOUT said:

I really like the Merry Winter Noix, and currently there's no DDs I'm interested in at the moment.

I personally think this is the most important thing, you have to really want her.

There is one Etsy shop I've found that has Obitsu 50 clothing. I've never bought from them, so I can't speak to the quality.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CODENOiRDOLL?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=772655721&section_id=20202774

I would defer to someone with real experience with Obitso / Azone like @Cauldroness for compatibility info. (I think they are the same, but I am not sure.)

Edited by BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx
2 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

(I think they are the same, but I am not sure.)

it's a bit complicated. Obitsu makes all of the bodies, and there are Azone 50 dolls that use the standard version which is the same as what Obitsu sells. Iris Collect dolls like Noix, and many other Azones, use the AZO2 body, which is made by Obitsu as well but unique to Azone; it is like a DDdy version of the regular Obitsu 50, and needs special clothing.

@Cauldroness and @K-2 know more about it than I do.

• Thanks 1

Cauldroness

[Cauldroness has been summoned by @BeyondTime and @cfx]

Merry Winter Noix uses Azone's AZO2 body, which is special to Azone (it's manufactured by Obitsu but only Azone sells it). She has a G-bust, which I find a bit more balanced than the larger I-bust.

YES:

- Shoes: Any 50cm shoes from Azone or Obitsu, or any shoes sized for those dolls -- rRabit and Code Noir have a really nice selection (they're usually tucked in the 1/4 section, but look specifically for the shoes marked "Obitsu" or "Angel Philia" -- not the general MSD shoes). DD shoes will not work.

- Wigs: Any 7-8 size wigs, from any company. Azone's "Beshine" wigs are pricey but WONDERFUL and always come with light-colored wig caps, even for black wigs. Note that Beshine wigs come in 7-8 and 8-9 size, so check the size before you order! Only the 7-8 size will fit. DD wigs will not work.

- Eyes: Noix has some of the best default eyes of all the Iris Collect girls, but if you feel the need to change them, Obitsu has a line of 18mm eyes she can wear. A few other makers also sell 18mm animetic eyes, but they can be challenging to find. DD eyes will not work.

- Clothes: Any clothes sold by Azone marked for the AZO2 G-bust or I-bust. Also, any clothes designed *specifically and only for* Dollfie Dream M-bust/S-bust and/or Dollfie Dream Sister M-bust or S-bust. Clothes from Volks that are marked both SD13 and Dollfie Dream will be too big; clothes from Volks that are marked only for DD and/or DDS will work. Note AZO2 is shorter, so shirts will come down a bit lower, sleeves can be a bit long, skirts will be a bit longer, and pants will be too long and need to be rolled up. However, AZO2 G-bust has a very hourglass figure, so her hips are almost as wide as DD hips despite her being a full 10cm shorter.

See here for more info re: DD/DDS clothes on AZO2:

NO:

- Obitsu50 clothing. Way too small!

- Any Azone 50cm clothing that's for Black Raven / Ellen's Closet / etc. Azone marks these clothes as incompatible with AZO2.

- Any Azone 50cm clothing that's for AZO2 C-bust but marked not compatible with AZO2 G-bust (there are a few items like this). So be careful, just because you see AZO2 doesn't mean it will work!

When shopping with Azone, always look at this chart, I've highlighted the yellow portion where you want to look:

image.png.dedf8859dc74fdaba6331b41ec1a1c6e.png

A single circle means "a little loose" / two circles mean "perfect fit" / triangle means "barely fits, very tight" / X means "will NOT fit"

• Like 1

Doll Photos & Doll Jewelry Sales: Follow me on Instagram

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Cauldroness said:

Also, any clothes designed *specifically and only for* Dollfie Dream M-bust/S-bust and/or Dollfie Dream Sister M-bust or S-bust.

So potentially some of the Volks stuff sold under the Tenshi-no-Koromo label?

If so, that's a pretty good selection.

Edited by BeyondTime

iPOUT

Since I'm revisiting this topic today I might as well give an update. I ended up not buying the Winter Noix doll because she sold out before I could make up my mind and every time I saw her on Mandarake, it was at times when I didn't have the money to buy her. . . I guess this was for the best because last year  ended up buying azone doll Fuko Follow Me version. I loved everything about her from her eyes, wig, and face to the casual clothes and coat so comes with.

I did a paid pre-order through Fabric friends and dolls so I wouldn't worry about DHL shipping cost and am now just waiting to get her eventually. :) When I do, I'll definitely post pictures. XD

• Like 1